Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So I guess outside of whenever the hell Tokyo Xanadu EX hits the states or Steam, what else is there, JRPG or otherwise, to look forward to next year? I'm kind of suspicious of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as I don't know if they'll just make it so generic that its tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crabtree posted:

So I guess outside of whenever the hell Tokyo Xanadu EX hits the states or Steam, what else is there, JRPG or otherwise, to look forward to next year? I'm kind of suspicious of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as I don't know if they'll just make it so generic that its tasteless.

Octopath Traveller looks pretty good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Crabtree posted:

Octopath Traveler is coming up next year, as is the 3DS port of Radiant Historia. And the 3DS port of Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, but that's pretty hit-or-miss for most people. The Fire Emblem direct said Fire Emblem Switch is also targeting a 2018 release, but who knows if they'll get the English version out before 2019.

Oh yeah, Monster Hunter World is a 2018 game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Dragon Quest 11.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Dragon Quest 11.

I am so stoked for this.

My Japanese coworkers are all playing it and they won't stop talking about how amazing it is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ni no Kuni 2, Code Vein, Yakuza 6 also next year

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Xeno 2 looks bad.

The designs in the series just get progressively worse

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I'm pretty excited about The Alliance Alive for 3DS, but was also one of those weirdos who enjoyed Legend of Legacy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ni no kuni 2 also looks good. Like, literally looks. I have no idea about the gameplay, but since it's an ARPG, it looks like that'll depend on party AI.

Cold Steel 2 is hitting Steam at some point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess technically, YS8 will also be next year on steam if you're doing old games

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The translation patch for Trails from Zero if you're looking into more unofficial stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Terper posted:

The translation patch for Trails from Zero if you're looking into more unofficial stuff.

Is it any good and is it for the whole arc? Kind of want to fill this gap.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rascyc posted:

the translation patch for zero is being edited, ao is still being translated

they're being handled by people who are making it read closer to xseed's translation work and everything they've released has looked good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rascyc posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually i think you'll find the proper translation is "we must drag this pitiable delusion out into the daylights"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

actually i think you'll find the proper translation is "we must drag this pitiable delusion out into the daylights"

Well that makes me think.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crabtree posted:

Octopath Traveller. There's a demo on the switch and it is very promising.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's with the portraits? Why are they 3D? Is that an option or something?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've heard people say that Zero and Azure are the best Trails games of all, so that's something to look forward to.

Tae posted:

What's with the portraits? Why are they 3D? Is that an option or something?

Falcom just changed their artist or their style for the Crossbell games; you can see some of it in the TitS Evolution portraits too.

The in-game sprites look like the same type of eight-directional rendered spud people that Trails in the Sky used, except they were able to pack in a lot more detail thanks to all that practice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the character designer for crossbell is the artist for baccano

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Enami Katsumi at least did illustrations for Zero, and I believe Ao/Evo try to emulate that style.

e: as someone who liked Xenoblade 1 but didn't think its writing or combat were anything special, 2 looks more of the same, a few dumb designs aside. I wish they were more willing to incorporate aspects of X, mainly your range of on-foot traversal abilities, but unless the new cooldown system kills the flow it looks good enough.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 11, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

Do you mean Divinity 2, the third-person action RPG where you play a dragon knight who can turn into a dragon, or do you mean Divinity Original Sin 2, the top down turn-based game where you have a party? Because these are quite different games.

Both, actually. I haven't started either. Instead I just keep trying to finish Pillars of Eternity's expansion pack but end up browsing merchant stores instead of doing anything useful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Falcom just changed their artist or their style for the Crossbell games; you can see some of it in the TitS Evolution portraits too.

The in-game sprites look like the same type of eight-directional rendered spud people that Trails in the Sky used, except they were able to pack in a lot more detail thanks to all that practice.

No, I mean the 4 3D faces at the bottom with the health/MP bar. It was the animate faces for me, not in-game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Probably screen fidelity issues, it was originally a psp game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wonder if it'll be better to play zero on pc or on a psp emulator, given that it's the only one with an easily accessible pc port

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the psp version looks like butts and an emulator doesn't help

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Xeno 2 looks bad.

The designs in the series just get progressively worse

The Blade designs are all secondary characters meant to be one-off artisinal pieces. They're inconsistent because they were all designed by different well-known anime and videogame design artists for fun. Anything actually game/story-related is all Monolithsoft and looks rad as hell.

Well except for Pyra's outfit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Weirdly pyra's super mode looks somewhat more sensible, very relatively speaking. Usually if something starts cheesecakey it just gets sillier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Obviously it's better than, like, Star Ocean 4, but I still think the weird pseudo-anime 3d in Blade 2 looks crappy. I think it'd look better if it were more stylized, I guess?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Motto posted:

Enami Katsumi at least did illustrations for Zero, and I believe Ao/Evo try to emulate that style.

e: as someone who liked Xenoblade 1 but didn't think its writing or combat were anything special, 2 looks more of the same, a few dumb designs aside. I wish they were more willing to incorporate aspects of X, mainly your range of on-foot traversal abilities, but unless the new cooldown system kills the flow it looks good enough.

The jump in X was the best. It was the best jump. It made exploring like 20x more fun just because of how drat good that jump was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crabtree posted:

Yakuza 6

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried to play the original Yakuza but it kind of killed my interest right at the end with the terrible highway chase sequence - that was unplayably bad and I never got past it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What the hell?
Dumbass localization gameplay changes are so baffling. Come to think of it was 7th Saga's butchering of difficulty just to drive up rental sales?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HGH posted:

What the hell?
Dumbass localization gameplay changes are so baffling. Come to think of it was 7th Saga's butchering of difficulty just to drive up rental sales?

probably yeah

vay is a special one though cause it's working designs. i'm looking at a bunch of their games on tcrf and finding out that things get even more ridiculous than i'm familiar with

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my favorite working designs thing was when they tried to make Exile: Wicked Phenomenon a little bit tougher and accidentally made every enemy kill you in two hits

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
all I know about working designs is that they localize arc the lad and it was good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

my favorite working designs thing was when they tried to make Exile: Wicked Phenomenon a little bit tougher and accidentally made every enemy kill you in two hits

Vireland: w-well we didn't have time to get the build back and test it and get it fixed

Well maybe don't do that in the first place then you dumb poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

the insane thing is their explanation makes it sound like the game used some really weird confusing calculation method but in actuality the game just multiplies stats on a linear basis and they chose to quadruple them because they thought it would only make things slightly tougher

anyway i'm angry about them again now because i just found out they replaced the audio drama in elemental gearbolt that explained more about the setting with hilarious dub outtakes and the setting and writing in elemental gearbolt is the entire appeal of that game

i really really really really feel like i harp on working designs too much but it's very hard for me not to when they made a harp a necessary item to beat lunar: the silver star on sega cd

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I guess as apologies for bringing Working Designs back up, i'll say that tonight i finished Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection and while it's got a lot of issues as an action RPG with a really lousy ranking system that requires all platinums for 100% while also making obtaining platinums require you to avoid taking a single hit but also filling dungeons with enemies that can just pop out and hit you with zero warning even if you're constantly sweeping around yourself with magic, and some really really really lovely boss design compared to Nayuta no Kiseki which borrows similar mechanics but handles level design and game balance much more gracefully, it is a pretty nice-looking game with a really fantastic translation, a great english dub and just a great cast, and the writing towards the end especially around Exmachina is pretty great.

I kinda have issues with it, I think the gameplay ultimately detracts from it since it's so loose and awkward compared to Ys or Nayuta and the way it slots in gives the game less time to focus on writing that is a much bigger draw, but for what it is I had a fun time and came out of it wishing it could be a bit longer. Playing it actually made me excited for the upcoming retranslation of Nayuta no Kiseki, since I saw someone say the writing in that game is actually pretty good past the awful machine translation we currently have.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 12, 2017