Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Just like Karak Eight Peaks.

It took me 3 stacks of mid-tier Dwarfs to conquer K8P through auto-resolve, and it's not like the garrison and enemy stack in it were full of Black Orcs or whatever. I guess it has a hidden defense bonus for AR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone tried to pack up your bags on turn one as Vlad and Isabella to move into the new vampire desert down south? Viable?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

torsoboy posted:

In my Karl Franz ME game, Louen Leoncoeur immediately set sail to the north for his personal crusade. He's been crushing the Norse for more than 30 turns but can't seem to hold onto any territory. Meanwhile, his homeland is being contested by two Bret factions, the undead, the mountain dorfs and the woodies. While I'm cleaning up the vampires to the east I get to watch my mini Bret soap opera in between turns.

Guess he really is Richard the Lionheart

I love this kind of thing and it's something I always hope to see more of in the campaign. I'm all for watching the random NPC factions get pissed and crusade against each other. It beats the games where everyone is at 'war' with a faction and they completely ignore each other.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I bowed out of Warhammer before Brittania was announced, so forgive my dated question! Buuuut... How are they as a faction? Are they fun to play? They've always been my favorite in the lore, so if they are even a little bit feasible I may have to throw more hours into them than is responsible.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I bowed out of Warhammer before Brittania was announced, so forgive my dated question! Buuuut... How are they as a faction? Are they fun to play? They've always been my favorite in the lore, so if they are even a little bit feasible I may have to throw more hours into them than is responsible.

First, I have yet to play them in mortal empires so my Bret experience is from the first game. Having said that, to me they are very fun and definitely feasible in single player (somebody else could tell you how they fare in multiplayer). Do you like using lots of cavalry and flying units?

Also, in the first game anyway to me they were a refreshing change in campaign because you could win the campaign without painting the world. Hold off threats, confederate with your buddies, maybe smash the wood elves and then ride off on a crusade for the win.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Anyone tried to pack up your bags on turn one as Vlad and Isabella to move into the new vampire desert down south? Viable?

Currently doing this, ended up taking the Land of Assassins province. It's going pretty well, but i can't raise dead for some reason down here. Idk if it's a mod loving it up or lack of corruption (52% currently), but it's making it harder.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

McGavin posted:

This remains the most convoluted way of viewing unit stats ever invented.

It's not that bad, you just hit the lock once and it acts pretty reasonably. It should probably be locked by default though, it's really confusing for new players.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finally playing my first Mortal Empires game and hoo boy were you guys not kidding about the Dwarfpocalypse. As Morathi I rushed Ulthuan pretty pronto, it's turn 60ish and I have the upper hand against Lothern, and my explorer lord just discovered that the Dwarves have 26 settlements and rising rapidly. :shepface:

time to go harvest some beards

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Even playing as Dwarfs, the Dwarfocalypse is unstoppable. Greybeard's Prospectors and Karak Azul ran over the undead/Greenskins, respectively, and only the increased rogue armies and horde faction spawning mods are stopping and turning the bearded tide. Which is good, because I want most of Azul's lands.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

This seems to be a ME staple, not that I'm complaining

In my current campaign, he is getting poo poo all over by norsca, while everyone is just chilling watching him struggle. Dwarves are the only one that I have an issue with always winning so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

toasterwarrior posted:

Even playing as Dwarfs, the Dwarfocalypse is unstoppable. Greybeard's Prospectors and Karak Azul ran over the undead/Greenskins, respectively, and only the increased rogue armies and horde faction spawning mods are stopping and turning the bearded tide. Which is good, because I want most of Azul's lands.

yeah I think I want a campaign-level mod to nerf the dwarves

not into oblivion, necessarily, just enough that they don't conquer the world

this first time though I'm going to enjoy drowning them in crossbows

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah I think I want a campaign-level mod to nerf the dwarves

not into oblivion, necessarily, just enough that they don't conquer the world

this first time though I'm going to enjoy drowning them in crossbows

I remember seeing a mod where all Dwarfs get an increasing relationship penalty against each other the more settlements they get; that sounds like a good way to stop runaway confederation trains.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Haven't tried it but:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1188012713

"This mode increase the upkeep for dwarf units by a factor of three. It is intended to prevent the Dwarves from controlling the old world by turn 150.

For best results, enable the mod between turns 40 and 70."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If your Dwarfocalypse lasts longer than 24 turns, please consult a modder.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I remember seeing a mod where all Dwarfs get an increasing relationship penalty against each other the more settlements they get; that sounds like a good way to stop runaway confederation trains.

NPC empires should only be able to confederate when they conquer the Capitol for the "Main" faction for their Empire/Species.

That way there is always the appropriate faction, but there isn't any of this runaway poo poo.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 11, 2017

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
One feels that during the many, many pages of bitching, whining, griping, bellyaching, complaining and otherwise airing our grievances about the chaos ritual invasion events, that someone would have mentioned that there's a second wave halfway through the final loving ritual.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

numptyboy posted:

That might be windows firewall related. Alt tab to Windows and see if there are any notifications about wh being blocked.

I got the notification on start-up and let it through, then after googling the problem and seeing that was a potential cause I double-checked but it's being let through properly according to the Firewall at least, and I'm not getting any further errors or notifications either.

Furthermore if you try to look at/download the free DLC in-game it also takes you to an in-game browser, but that one worked fine for me (albeit asking me to log in to some stupid poo poo so I just decided to download them individually on Steam instead).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

That one also says it increases upkeep on a sliding scale based on number of settlements.

That sounds good.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching Isabella von Carstein +2 vampire ladies with lifesteal, all three have healing abilities and spells fighting 1000+ skaven clanrats. I cannot imagine that i will lose, but i'm gonna be here a while!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

One feels that during the many, many pages of bitching, whining, griping, bellyaching, complaining and otherwise airing our grievances about the chaos ritual invasion events, that someone would have mentioned that there's a second wave halfway through the final loving ritual.

Nah because it's hilarious every time.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Speaking of Brettonia, I was recently terrified to see a Star Dragon beat back a Paladin, two Pegasus Knights, and a Royal Hippogryph Knight without breaking a sweat. Granted, it had help from someone on the ground casting Net to stop them from getting a charge bonus but it really was pretty horribly one-sided.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Honestly it makes more sense for Skaven to be pulling what the Dwarf AI does for many people on the strategic map. Though granted I don't seem to have the same issue others have; in my Empire game Vampire Counts really did a number to the World's Edge mountains, and the Greenskins had a respectable foothold on the badlands.

It is definitely annoying when Dwarves do a little too well if you are a faction that has a hard time vs their armies, or are Clan Angrund and have an "ally" that will never confederate with you nor will they help you in useful ways.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Speaking of Brettonia, I was recently terrified to see a Star Dragon beat back a Paladin, two Pegasus Knights, and a Royal Hippogryph Knight without breaking a sweat. Granted, it had help from someone on the ground casting Net to stop them from getting a charge bonus but it really was pretty horribly one-sided.

Brettonia lives and dies by the charge bonus, doesn’t it?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Are confederations broken or something? I have a 120 diplomatic rating with Talabecland who has the underdog modifier, they're main army was destroyed by Vampires they are 110 strength, and are willing to pay me all of their gold for a military alliance but confederation is red. Also offering them 20,000 does nothing. Similar situation with my Dwarf and HE campaigns, I can't get any of my loving neighbors to confederate.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

In my experience confederation is super hard prior to the chaos invasion unless the other side is about to lose their last city or you offer something absurd like 40,000 gold.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Honestly it makes more sense for Skaven to be pulling what the Dwarf AI does for many people on the strategic map. Though granted I don't seem to have the same issue others have; in my Empire game Vampire Counts really did a number to the World's Edge mountains, and the Greenskins had a respectable foothold on the badlands.

It is definitely annoying when Dwarves do a little too well if you are a faction that has a hard time vs their armies, or are Clan Angrund and have an "ally" that will never confederate with you nor will they help you in useful ways.

It's definitely autoresolve that's screwing over the rats and fueling the beards right now; apart from that hopefully getting fixed one day, I also wish that one or two of the Greenskin clans in the Badlands gets replaced by a Skaven clan, so you actually get to fight them instead of having to hope that Queek doesn't get his poo poo kicked in by Karak Zorn or Kroq-gar's Swole Saurus Swarm.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I started a Crowfather campaign, and figured after taking out the border princes (turn 20 or so) I'd thought I'd move to the dwarf area to make sure the dwarfpocalypse would be stifled. Geez, even though I've teamed up with the Grimgor and one of the minor goblin factions (who grew big for some reason, probable me taking out border princes), and we're taking turns assaulting the dwarves, with Wurrzag helping out as well, they're basically unstoppable. I managed to raze Karaz-a-Karak, while Thorgrim left it alone for a second to put the slap down on Grimgor, but it was a pitched battle against the garrison, and on the next turn, three stacks of dwarves showed up before I could get away. I only made it out because I sacrificed my secondary Ghorros Heart-render stack to the murder dwarves, who ran him down. Sweet Ghorros, too good for this world. I guess I'll recruit one of the other LLs in his stead. Anyway, dwarves are pretty rough.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sasgrillo posted:

Are confederations broken or something? I have a 120 diplomatic rating with Talabecland who has the underdog modifier, they're main army was destroyed by Vampires they are 110 strength, and are willing to pay me all of their gold for a military alliance but confederation is red. Also offering them 20,000 does nothing. Similar situation with my Dwarf and HE campaigns, I can't get any of my loving neighbors to confederate.

Do you have an alliance of any sort with them?

If you do, they count your strength rating as theirs when it comes to diplomacy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I started a Crowfather campaign, and figured after taking out the border princes (turn 20 or so) I'd thought I'd move to the dwarf area to make sure the dwarfpocalypse would be stifled. Geez, even though I've teamed up with the Grimgor and one of the minor goblin factions (who grew big for some reason, probable me taking out border princes), and we're taking turns assaulting the dwarves, with Wurrzag helping out as well, they're basically unstoppable. I managed to raze Karaz-a-Karak, while Thorgrim left it alone for a second to put the slap down on Grimgor, but it was a pitched battle against the garrison, and on the next turn, three stacks of dwarves showed up before I could get away. I only made it out because I sacrificed my secondary Ghorros Heart-render stack to the murder dwarves, who ran him down. Sweet Ghorros, too good for this world. I guess I'll recruit one of the other LLs in his stead. Anyway, dwarves are pretty rough.

Between the AI getting huge bonuses to economy, the dwarf economy being strong in general, their units being heavily favored in autoresolve, their garrisons being generally strong, AND all of their "rivals" being hampered in every one of those aspects... yeah the Dwarves snowball REALLY loving fast. The bearded tide is real.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Devorum posted:

I think I hosed up. I'm around turn 130, and the Wood Elves control like half the drat world. They go after The Empire, who I'm allied with, and I have 5-6 full stack armies, so I figure it's a good time to beat them back a bit.

I win the first few fights against small armies and take a good bit of territory from them...but then Durthu and a Glade rider show up and just start wrecking me. How do you counter wood elves as VC? Their archers run faster than my cavalry. The only thing I can catch them with is bats, but they rip my bats to shreds on the approach because it even takes bats a long time to catch them.

Meanwhile, Forest Dragons and Treemen are beating my infantry to paste.

They crushed all three of my southern armies, and now that side of my empire is kind of screwed. I'm trying to pull Dwarves and Lizardmen into the fight to take some pressure off...but drat.

Specifically concerning Glade Riders, have you tried Dire Wolves? Against the AI and plain Glade Riders, a pack of Dire Wolves does surprisingly well. Include Hagbane Tips and it goes quite a bit worse but should still buy you some time to take on the rest of the army. Edit: Also, they come in at a fraction of the cost and an inexpensive tier 1 building so you can recruit them cheaply on the frontlines.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I think I solved the Dwarf problem in my Grimgor game by wiping out the Dwarf faction on turn 20 or so. We'll see if the other dwarf factions pick up the slack or not before I burn them all to the ground too.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think I solved the Dwarf problem in my Grimgor game by wiping out the Dwarf faction on turn 20 or so. We'll see if the other dwarf factions pick up the slack or not before I burn them all to the ground too.

IIRC Angrund should be the only threat on that front. I've never seen two minor factions confederate.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
It's about to get spooky in here:

:getin:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Img timeline

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The grudge mechanic combined with the early game of Angrund is really the most loving annoying

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

terrorist ambulance posted:

The grudge mechanic combined with the early game of Angrund is really the most loving annoying

Clan Angrund purely exists to be a challenge option for masochists. He's just "Dwarfs, but objectively worse."

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Playing Mortal Empires as Queek currently is rather fun. I'm becoming bros with the Vampire Counts :drac: and Kroq-Gar asked me for 100 gold to join in my war against some Dwarfs, so I might even make friends with him somehow. . .

Due to to the food mechanic, I'm getting the feeling that, even more than the Vortex campaign, I shouldn't expand too fast as the Skaven, and should, instead, sack/raze enemies, colonise defensible provinces, and prioritise ones that have the food resource?

Also, Queek needs Karak Eight Peaks. It will be mine-mine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So in my Queek campaign I have managed to wipe out the Last Defenders and right now working on the island elves to the south. Thankfully the ones to the west have been wrapped up in multiple wars so I have not worried about them for awhile. The highlight of my game so far was being attacked by Kroq-qar in his final fort and then beating back the island elves in one battle with Queek before finally being able to storm the skull temple or whatever and finally deal with my main early game threat.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its interesting that the Tomb Kings are considered humans rather than undead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Turns out the High Elves are the Real Chaos Cultists.