Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wildlands selling so much just seems so baffling to me, like I know it's multiplatform which is half the battle, but at least CoD gets to coast on mainstream name recognition, how did Ghost Recon reach those same heights

Maybe people really hate Bolivia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I cant tell if youre confusing me or im confusing you.

Let's leave it at us both being confused.

I definitely agree with everyone about not understanding what people see in Wildlands at all.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

CJacobs posted:

I have absolutely no idea what people saw in Wildlands. Like, with the Call of Shooty games like COD and Battlefield etc, I can at least point at them and say "I can see why people find this fun". Wildlands just looked so unapologetically boring and ugly and tasteless that I could not understand why people liked it for what may be the first time for me in like a decade.

Trying something new I guess. I was totally on board with this game until like 3 months before the game release where I sunk some time into looking at gameplay and deciding, yuck.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
An open-world game where one of the missions has you actually confronting and killing the Zodiac Killer and that's why he was never officially caught.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

Let's leave it at us both being confused.

I definitely agree with everyone about not understanding what people see in Wildlands at all.

Fair and wise

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

How are the other Ghost Recon games? They seem so much different from this new one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Wildlands over the free weekend and honestly I found it a better tactical shootmans game than MGSV. You get some fun gadgets, the grinding isn't tied to arbitrary online restrictions, the open world actually has stuff in it, and your teammates aren't brain dead. If I had someone dedicated to co-op with I'd probably buy it but I'm not playing that game alone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guavatin posted:

How are the other Ghost Recon games? They seem so much different from this new one.

Ghost Recon was originally a spin off of Rainbow Six that focused on longer weapons free combat missions whereas Rainbow Six is like 5 minute shootouts. I dropped off at Advanced Warfare but I love all those classic tactical shooters.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

That's dope. I never really got around to the rainbox six/ghost games, but I may pick up a few copies on steam and give them a look sometime.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

I played Wildlands over the free weekend and honestly I found it a better tactical shootmans game than MGSV.

:yikes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Did they use the same tech on Until Dawn because it also has the creepy faces

Until Dawn used Decima engine, which first launched with Killzone Shadowfall and now is the basis for Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MGSV is a great stealth game, maybe the best controlling one, but the progression in the game is absolute garbage, the open world design objectively bad, and it's still pretty mediocre once the bullets start flying.

The obvious design of Wildlands seems to be co-op on a grand scale with few restrictions. Playing the game alone and it's just okay and I don't have time for a game that's just okay.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every so often I think about getting Rainbow Six: Siege

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like The Division because it appeals to some part of me that likes gunfights in urban environments (and in the winter), and it allows me to shoot stuff without giving a single god drat about the story.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I like The Division because it appeals to some part of me that likes gunfights in urban environments (and in the winter), and it allows me to shoot stuff without giving a single god drat about the story.

This guy gets it :hfive:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/929449215285219328

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doki Doki Literature Club was very cool but goddamn is it like 300% too long

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I disagree

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club was very cool but goddamn is it like 300% too long

I also felt this way about Hatoful Boyfriend, but at least Doki Doki Literature Club starts doling out its 'real' gimmick pretty early instead of when you think you've reached 100% completion.

Wamdoodle posted:

This guy gets it :hfive:

The Division fits this really weird niche for me where it's like Borderlands But It Takes Place In The Modern US and that really makes me like it more for some strange reason.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even remember how far back ago I finished Wildlands and I'm still mad about how rote and monotone that game was. What a piece of poo poo, goddamn.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a very, very low tolerance for anime high schools, and did not expect that part of the game to last so long

Yes this is a personal failing, I’m sure there’s been studies that show that fans of anime high schools self-report higher levels of happiness than those who are not

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DDLC was super bland because a VN being meta is super old-hat and creepypasta garbage has never been interesting

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I saw an ad for Far Cry 5 on Youtube and I literally would have said it was for Wildlands if not for namedropping the title at the end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The division makes me think about a modern coop Freedom Fighters and then I get sad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

The division makes me think about a modern coop Freedom Fighters and then I get sad.

This post made me think of Freedom Force and then I got sad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ometeotl posted:

DDLC was super bland because a VN being meta is super old-hat and creepypasta garbage has never been interesting

to me it feels like a thing people like less for the story it tells but more for the weird narrative tricks it uses and i dunno if i care for that

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Doki Doki sucked and I dropped it halfway through. I was expecting something actually clever and I got the exact opposite.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Doki Doki sucked and I dropped it halfway through. I was expecting something actually clever and I got the exact opposite.

I mean, you aren't getting even half of what it was trying to do if you dropped it halfway. I think if you stated with it that long it's basically just a normal VN.

I have problems work the game but overall I enjoy it as a game that goes into how creepy and vile the idea of dating sims are and also something that attributes beloved anime waifu tropes a sign of severe depression, mental illness or abuse

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like people's reactions to that game more than I'm interested in playing it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean, you aren't getting even half of what it was trying to do if you dropped it halfway. I think if you stated with it that long it's basically just a normal VN.

I have problems work the game but overall I enjoy it as a game that goes into how creepy and vile the idea of dating sims are and also something that attributes beloved anime waifu tropes a sign of severe depression, mental illness or abuse
Nah, I got to the shift and just saw nothing but an embarrassingly tryhard and lovely creepypasta game so I just bailed when I knew when was bailing was still somewhat good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

i'm gonna be honest everything about that just turns me off even more because i don't care about dating sims or waifu tropes and using mental illness, abuse, depression and suicide as just part of an epic subversion ultimately ending in characters killing themselves to make some kind of metanarrative point doesn't feel much better to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Never been a huge fan of didactic media whether it's in games, literature, or otherwise. I think it's much more difficult and riskier artistically to emotionally invest the player in the fiction you've created, than it is to provide metacommentary at a distance in the form of "haha you are playing a video game." If you've got something important to say, put yourself out there and trust that people are empathic enough to receive it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Never been a huge fan of didactic media whether it's in games, literature, or otherwise. I think it's much more difficult and riskier artistically to emotionally invest the player in the fiction you've created, than it is to provide metacommentary at a distance in the form of "haha you are playing a video game." If you've got something important to say, put yourself out there and trust that people are empathic enough to receive it.
That's one of the reasons Undertale is so great. It's definitely meta but its still works to try and make you care about its characters and doesn't completely rely on being meta. It's a very genuine game.

Doki Doki on the other hand is meta just to be edgy and barely has anything interesting to say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, I don't even like Doki Doki but I think you guys are being unfair to it. I don't think its trying to be edgy and meta just for the hell of it, nor do I think its some big criticism of the VN genre. I think its just trying to be a story with a twist where you only get shown one-side of the characters in a very standard fashion. Then when you go back and replay it, you are exposed to events you hadn't seen before and learn things that make you look at the characters in a different way. Its presented in an attempt to be creepy and strange but I don't think its trying to deliver some big pretentious message in the process. To me it seems like another game that suffers from the fanbase following it gained. People go into it expecting something amazing because its been so hyped up.

I didn't care much for it overall but I thought some of the glitch effects were cool and the idea of editing save files in an active game to change it is interesting. I wouldn't of played it myself though because it takes too long to get to the interesting content. I feel the criticism that the first half is far to standard and long is fair.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna be honest everything about that just turns me off even more because i don't care about dating sims or waifu tropes and using mental illness, abuse, depression and suicide as just part of an epic subversion ultimately ending in characters killing themselves to make some kind of metanarrative point doesn't feel much better to me

I consider it more of a story about Monika grappling with the total meaninglessness of her existence and desperately trying to salvage something for herself, going so far as to destroy people around her to gain some semblance of freedom. During her endgame room scene she tries to downplay what she did but it's clear that it had an effect on her. The meta stuff is simply dressing for that core story, I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

That's one of the reasons Undertale is so great. It's definitely meta but its still works to try and make you care about its characters and doesn't completely rely on being meta. It's a very genuine game.

Doki Doki on the other hand is meta just to be edgy and barely has anything interesting to say.

Undertale is terrible, dude

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think dismissing DDLC as just try hard meaningless fluff is entirely fair to it. It's a game that really isn't all that violent and is only shocking given the context. As tropey as the whole thing is, it does try to flesh out it's characters with using the darker aspects as means to justify how someone would be actually acting like a character is expected to act towards you in a dating Sim. I don't think it's so much using mental illness, depression and abuse as a simple method to shock the audience but more of a means to make these characters that only exist to fall in love you into something resembling actual people with actual issues that have nothing to do with you. Really the fact that the whole world exists for the player to be at it's center is what drives the antagonist to slowly dismantle the world and ultimately delete it. While I think it's message gets a bit muddled (especially if you try for the "true" ending) I also don't think it's not simply shock for shock's sake and I think there's more to what it's trying to say other than "VNs suck"

Grapplejack posted:

I consider it more of a story about Monika grappling with the total meaninglessness of her existence and desperately trying to salvage something for herself, going so far as to destroy people around her to gain some semblance of freedom. During her endgame room scene she tries to downplay what she did but it's clear that it had an effect on her. The meta stuff is simply dressing for that core story, I think.

The Meta stuff plays into that though in that Monika exists in a world where the only purpose of their existence is to love you, but she isn't an actual option the player gets so she has to sit by as she gets passed over again and again and again finally destroying everything to get the thing the game says she should want

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every so often I think about getting Rainbow Six: Siege

I got it. The characters move at a painful crawl so i stopped playing it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

I got it. The characters move at a painful crawl so i stopped playing it.

Thanks for the perspective. I think I might stick to Destiny 2 Crucible and/or Overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I mean its cool to shoot through floors and walls and learn the character gimmicks, but i wish you could move faster than a grandma

• Locked thread