Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Magius1337est posted:

I own the restaurant.

Exactly!

(meant in jest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

im pretty sure the poster hes talking about is the one who couldn't believe people hadn't ever been to nordstroms to be fitted before, and thus deserves all the abuse possible

Yeah, and who is a 'restaurant owner' who is hands off enough to sit in his jack shack all day and gently caress about with excel rather than have any hands on input into the operation of the restaurant.

Not going to knock it, it's not a bad gig if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket to let someone else run a restaurant with, but it explains entirely why his every post in this thread is bougie as gently caress.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 11, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, and who is a 'restaurant owner' who is hands off enough to sit in his jack shack all day and gently caress about with excel rather than have any hands on input into the operation of the restaurant.

I bet his employees love him!

Mainly because he's never there and they can steal everything that's not nailed down.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Liquid Communism posted:

Not going to knock it, it's not a bad gig if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket to let someone else run a restaurant with, but it explains entirely why his every post in this thread is bougie as gently caress.

ya it's not like there's site location planning or revenue modeling you have to do or anything

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

ya it's not like there's site location planning or revenue modeling you have to do or anything

Like I said, bougie as gently caress. You are in the business of owning the means of production. That's not a bad business to be in, but it also informs your opinions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi! I have opinions!

Opinion 1: Self checkouts work flawlessly in Australia, the UK, and Ireland. I think that the scales are set to be too sensitive here, with the result that they need to be overridden at least once every checkout. If I have a coupon or produce I don't even bother trying, because every single one of those needs to be approved by the monitor guy.

Opinion 2: I was at Walmart yesterday, because they have this one kind of muffin you can't even get online. Anyway, they had a rack of these little scanners, the idea being that you scan your stuff as you put it in your cart, even directly into bags.

It worked well until the scanner crashed and wiped out everything. I went to put the scanner back and a plainclothes tech guy asked what I was doing and convinced me to let him help me rescan everything. Checking out was nice, and simple, and fast. I still refused to show my receipt to the door guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In terms of self-reflection on clothing shopping, I was going to say that if anyone had pointed out my general model of garment purchasing (going to stores, trying on things making note of things I liked/did not like, purchasing my favorites, then when I need a new pair of shoes or some new work shirts or jeans or whatever just ordering the thing I like online because I know how it fits/looks) and how I actually like having the option to use both ecosystems. But then I realized what this really means is that I wear essentially the same poo poo year after year, so maybe no one else does it for that reason.

Also Merrell finally discontinued the shoe I had been buying/rebuying for the past nine years, so that was the hidden pitfall. Vent 2 my rear end!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

In terms of self-reflection on clothing shopping, I was going to say that if anyone had pointed out my general model of garment purchasing (going to stores, trying on things making note of things I liked/did not like, purchasing my favorites, then when I need a new pair of shoes or some new work shirts or jeans or whatever just ordering the thing I like online because I know how it fits/looks) and how I actually like having the option to use both ecosystems. But then I realized what this really means is that I wear essentially the same poo poo year after year, so maybe no one else does it for that reason.

Also Merrell finally discontinued the shoe I had been buying/rebuying for the past nine years, so that was the hidden pitfall. Vent 2 my rear end!

That's pretty much how my work shopping goes, but there's something to be said for wearing Dickies work shirts every day for years on end. They never really change or go out of style, and hold up to work.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Hi! I have opinions!

Opinion 1: Self checkouts work flawlessly in Australia, the UK, and Ireland. I think that the scales are set to be too sensitive here, with the result that they need to be overridden at least once every checkout. If I have a coupon or produce I don't even bother trying, because every single one of those needs to be approved by the monitor guy.

Opinion 2: I was at Walmart yesterday, because they have this one kind of muffin you can't even get online. Anyway, they had a rack of these little scanners, the idea being that you scan your stuff as you put it in your cart, even directly into bags.

It worked well until the scanner crashed and wiped out everything. I went to put the scanner back and a plainclothes tech guy asked what I was doing and convinced me to let him help me rescan everything. Checking out was nice, and simple, and fast. I still refused to show my receipt to the door guy.

Has the UK had a massive overhaul in their scanner in the last year or so, because when I was there it was a constant battle with the scale.

Someone a while back said self checkouts are all pretty much the same machine, just with different cases for whatever store you're at. How much control does an individual store/company have over the settings for those things, especially concerning the sensitivity of the scale?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

dbukalski posted:

said people about every invention ever(personal computers, cell phones etc)

there are hurdles. but all this online stuff is pretty new. theyll figure out the hurdles

There's a difference between a new invention providing a popular alternative to an old way of doing things, and a new invention replacing the old way of doing things. Look at washing machines and tumble dryers. The former completely replaced the old way of washing clothes, the latter did not replace the old way of drying clothes, it's just a possible alternative to hanging your clothes up.

If someone in the 1910s said "the automobile won't replace good old fashioned horses" they'd be wrong, if someone in the 1960s said "the microwave won't replace good old fashioned conventional ovens" they'd have been right.

It's not really possible to say at this point if online shopping will completely replace brick and mortar stores or end up in an equilibrium where both exist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

there wolf posted:

Has the UK had a massive overhaul in their scanner in the last year or so, because when I was there it was a constant battle with the scale.

Someone a while back said self checkouts are all pretty much the same machine, just with different cases for whatever store you're at. How much control does an individual store/company have over the settings for those things, especially concerning the sensitivity of the scale?

Most of the checkouts in the UK have been set so that they don't have to be super precise about the weight. One of the main reasons you got the 'unexpected item' error was that the system would be set with the weights supplied by the manufacturers, when in fact you had variations as much as 25g across the range. Now they really only tend to break down if you're putting something like a single clove of garlic on there as its pretty much too light to move the scale.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

there wolf posted:

I...um...only first went there in May. :blush:

If it matters, we did most of our shopping at Waitrose. God drat I miss those pastries.

Retail in America is going to fail because we lack daily pastries that don't taste like poo poo. I think the difference is a willingness to run out of things. If you have an overabundance, you put all kinds of chemical poo poo in them to keep them fresh longer. I've worked in a grocery store bakery in multiple states, and all that stuff comes out of a freezer, except, like, two kinds of bread. It might be frozen in the UK too, but if so, they're still yummy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Beachcomber posted:

bread [...] in the UK [...] yummy

does not compute (though I have no trouble believing US bread is even worse)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

blowfish posted:

I was talking about pastries, but admitting that technically Safeway makes one kind of bread each day from scratch. Pour bag A, B, and C into the mixer. Add water. Let rise. Partition. Bake in 3 different shapes. That's three kinds of bread, right?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

serious gaylord posted:

Most of the checkouts in the UK have been set so that they don't have to be super precise about the weight. One of the main reasons you got the 'unexpected item' error was that the system would be set with the weights supplied by the manufacturers, when in fact you had variations as much as 25g across the range. Now they really only tend to break down if you're putting something like a single clove of garlic on there as its pretty much too light to move the scale.

Do you find that's pretty consistent across the country? Every time something opens self-checkouts where I am in the US, it always seems to have a 3-6 month learning curve on calibrating the scales towards something more functional, which is strange because you'd think national chains would have a company-wide standard on it after the first few stores launched them. Makes me wonder if a lot of individual store managers are going rogue.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Beachcomber posted:

I was talking about pastries, but admitting that technically Safeway makes one kind of bread each day from scratch. Pour bag A, B, and C into the mixer. Add water. Let rise. Partition. Bake in 3 different shapes. That's three kinds of bread, right?

Finnish shops just import them frozen from Denmark or Estonia and bake them in an oven at the back the same morning.

It's actually kinda disheartening that this is eating at the market share of local bakeries; you still get a fairly nice selection especially in the bigger cities, even in chain grocery stores.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I...um...only first went there in May. :blush:

If it matters, we did most of our shopping at Waitrose. God drat I miss those pastries.

Retail in America is going to fail because we lack daily pastries that don't taste like poo poo. I think the difference is a willingness to run out of things. If you have an overabundance, you put all kinds of chemical poo poo in them to keep them fresh longer. I've worked in a grocery store bakery in multiple states, and all that stuff comes out of a freezer, except, like, two kinds of bread. It might be frozen in the UK too, but if so, they're still yummy.

Bigger stores have in store bakeries: Smaller corner shop ones will get deliveries of freshly baked goods every morning from the bigger stores and put them on display. This is mostly only in the higher end supermarkets, although even bigger low end ones will make some stuff in store daily.

Edit: Waitrose is also the fanciest supermarket in the UK: its like getting all your shopping at Whole Foods I think?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nothing to seehere posted:

Edit: Waitrose is also the fanciest supermarket in the UK: its like getting all your shopping at Whole Foods I think?

All UK supermarkets have three quality tiers. Economy, normal, and premium. It’s a myth that Waitrose is more expensive than Tescos, it’s just that the majority of people who shop at Waitrose will only put the premium level goods in their trolly. It’s actually very easy to do a budget shop in there if you are a poor, same goes for M&S which is also surprisingly reasonable.

The real problem I have with Waitrose is that the Venn diagram of the sort of people who shop at Waitrose and the sort of people who would tell security that they think a poor might be shoplifting if they see one in Waitrose is a circle.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

learnincurve posted:

All UK supermarkets have three quality tiers. Economy, normal, and premium. It’s a myth that Waitrose is more expensive than Tescos, it’s just that the majority of people who shop at Waitrose will only put the premium level goods in their trolly. It’s actually very easy to do a budget shop in there if you are a poor, same goes for M&S which is also surprisingly reasonable.

The real problem I have with Waitrose is that the Venn diagram of the sort of people who shop at Waitrose and the sort of people who would tell security that they think a poor might be shoplifting if they see one in Waitrose is a circle.

Well yea, that's true, but when it comes to quality of in store baked goods the waitrose standard is like the premium Co-op ones. Not that you can't go to waitrose and get waitrose essentials, but if you do, why did you go to waitrose in the first place?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wut?

I’ve been budget household shopping for 20 years now. You soon learn when to get the budget version and when to get the expensive one (bin liners, always get the premium bin liners), it’s also nice to get a couple of treats so life does not seem so bland and shite.
It’s a supermarket, the average shop costs the same as any other supermarket. Why would someone go to Tesco’s if Waitrose is nearer? Why should one group of people claim it as belonging to them and do the whole “your sort is not welcome here” Thing, they don’t get sneered at when they go to Lidl.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Beachcomber posted:

Pour bag A, B, and C into the mixer. Add water. Let rise. Partition. Bake in 3 different shapes. That's three kinds of bread, right?

Sounds like 99% of Sainsbury's bread over here :911::hf::britain:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Great British Bakeoff taught me that your whole country is a wonderland of baked goods, and I refuse to believe differently :colbert:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Crow Jane posted:

The Great British Bakeoff taught me that your whole country is a wonderland of baked goods, and I refuse to believe differently :colbert:

Do not fear, there are tiny independent bakeries in every town and village providing us with delicious baked treats. Our chocolate eclair game is strong.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Reveilled posted:

If someone in the 1910s said "the automobile won't replace good old fashioned horses" they'd be wrong, if someone in the 1960s said "the microwave won't replace good old fashioned conventional ovens" they'd have been right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDzDukmSsE

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

There's a difference between a new invention providing a popular alternative to an old way of doing things, and a new invention replacing the old way of doing things. Look at washing machines and tumble dryers. The former completely replaced the old way of washing clothes, the latter did not replace the old way of drying clothes, it's just a possible alternative to hanging your clothes up.

It's not really possible to say at this point if online shopping will completely replace brick and mortar stores or end up in an equilibrium where both exist.

Honestly, there's too many good use-cases for brick and mortar retail for me to consider full replacement possible. Sometimes you need a thing -now-, not exactly the thing you want in a couple days.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

blowfish posted:

Bread in the US is famously awful. I think it's slightly unfair in that the really terrible US bread is just the cheap poo poo that the poorest people eat, and you can get normal, quality bread pretty easily, but it's A Thing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Corrode posted:

Bread in the US is famously awful. I think it's slightly unfair in that the really terrible US bread is just the cheap poo poo that the poorest people eat, and you can get normal, quality bread pretty easily, but it's A Thing.

I took an artisan baking course last year at a bakery in Australia and one of the things they recounted is how people have this expectation that bread will last regardless of quality. They mentioned that they regularly have little old ladies especially who come back in and say "the bread didn't last more than three days!"

They went into further detail about how people go their whole lives without good bread and our industrialization of it has robbed it of most of why we started making it in the first place.

Having actually tried and tasted their methods, I find it hard to disagree.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-retail-debt/
"The so-called retail apocalypse has become so ingrained in the U.S. that it now has the distinction of its own Wikipedia entry.
The industry’s response to that kind of doomsday description has included blaming the media for hyping the troubles of a few well-known chains as proof of a systemic meltdown. There is some truth to that. In the U.S., retailers announced more than 3,000 store openings in the first three quarters of this year."

Some really good charts and graphs in the article.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

As a Brit who has lived in America for the last 10 months, yeah you can't get a good pastry here, they don't exist (at least out here in the far-flung Midwest). I did find extremely overpriced frozen cornish pasties marketed as "hand pies" which tasted fine but nothing like a pastie was meant to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hungry posted:

As a Brit who has lived in America for the last 10 months, yeah you can't get a good pastry here, they don't exist (at least out here in the far-flung Midwest). I did find extremely overpriced frozen cornish pasties marketed as "hand pies" which tasted fine but nothing like a pastie was meant to.

Like you're going to actual bakeries and not just the local distribution warehouse store for some mass produced frozen poo poo?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hungry posted:

As a professional pastry baker who's out of the industry due to the bakery going under, the issue is simply that nobody outside of the wealthier enclaves wants to pay what artisan pastry costs to make. Most people's budget for pastry is on the 'frozen puff pastry sheets and canned pie filling' level, or grocery store cake-mix and pre-made bucket of buttercream level, and they have no interest in paying someone to do it right.

I have more than tripled my hourly income in two years since leaving the bakery by getting out of the industry.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Might have something to do with most people not having much disposable income anymore

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Might have something to do with most people not having much disposable income anymore

Pretty much. I'd go to a real bakery for my bread if I had a real job with a real wage. And if we had bakeries where I live. Guess I'll learn to make my own. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hungry posted:

Your trouble might be that you think "pastries" should include things full of meat, which few places advertising themselves as selling pastries in the US agree with.

got any sevens posted:

I don't believe that's changed much in many decades. Hardly like America was full of high end bakeries 50 years ago ago, as opposed to being full of plain white bread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Also the bigger countries that do have good bread like the France, Germany, etc. while they are more equitable, have lower GDP per capita than the US, so I doubt they're actually drowning in spending money compared to the states. Although in Germany people don't seem to eat out much so maybe they have more money to spend on better groceries?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hungry posted:

Hot pockets

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Pretty much. I'd go to a real bakery for my bread if I had a real job with a real wage. And if we had bakeries where I live. Guess I'll learn to make my own. :shrug:

I think this whole subject is interesting in the retail context because it's basically an example of a product which is viable in other countries, but not the US because the US has pretty obviously chosen bread that isn't moldy in three weeks.

It's a self reinforcing cycle of terrible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Seriously, am I reading this right that America has no decent bread? The British would starve without it. There isn’t any difference in price between hand made or the mass manafactured stuff, only shelf life. Also bread makers are dirt cheap.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

learnincurve posted:

Seriously, am I reading this right that America has no decent bread? The British would starve without it. There isn’t any difference in price between hand made or the mass manafactured stuff, only shelf life. Also bread makers are dirt cheap.

Having experienced the outside world and as I'm sure the former baker can attest, basically yes. Americans would rather have lovely bread that lasts forever than good bread they need to eat within 3-5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

There is plenty of bread and people are just being snooty that because wonder bread exists that means other bread doesn’t exist. Even Walmart sell bread that is fine in the bakery and actual grocery stores and bakeries sell good bread that uses the same recipe anywhere uses. But the existence of ultra cheap bread makes people act like that is all there is and you can’t get anything else.