Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaep beat Gabbert for the job in SF last year.

I'm just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's not important- did Gabbert kneel??

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What's Matt Leinhart doing nowadays

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cardinals vs 49ers 2 years ago was the one where he had 2 pick 6s in like 5 minutes and tyrann mathieu said the offense was too simple with him. we weren't signing him

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Shaun Hill and Dan Orlovsky bouta get pulled out of retirement to suck for another team

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

hifi posted:

cardinals vs 49ers 2 years ago was the one where he had 2 pick 6s in like 5 minutes and tyrann mathieu said the offense was too simple with him. we weren't signing him

lol that game had literally over 10% of his career interceptions

Kaep don't throw picks y'all. You can't get intercepted if you're throwing it at feet and guys on the sideline

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was listening to the Jags game on the radio last week and the announcers kept going on about how smart a QB Bortles was for throwing the ball away or at receiver's feet rather than trying to force anything.
"It won't show up in the stats, but Blake is playing very smart this game."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaep was throwing lots of INTs and then someone was like "hey Kaep don't throw ints bro" so he started just throwing the ball away. The problem was he had nobody left who could win contested balls, or get open, or keep a hold on the ball when it hits them in the hands or the chest or the face. So he adapted to that situation by just loving it away into the sidelines on two out of three passing plays.

I'm not saying he was ever an amazingly great passer but he had poo poo for an o-line and poo poo for receivers, and he did well to just revert to trying to control turnovers so Carlos Hyde could get them some yards.

e. They tried to turn Vance McDonald into a high-volume catching TE, for gently caress's sake

Jeremy Kerley was by far the best WR on the team, and before that it was free agent Anquan Boldin.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Leperflesh posted:

Jeremy Kerley was by far the best WR on the team, and before that it was free agent Anquan Boldin.

And before that it was free agent Randy Moss and “I wish I were a free agent” Michael Crabtree.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crabtree was a fine WR1, as evidenced by a superbowl run with him anchoring the WR corps, and his current success in Oakland.

It's like, oh, we lost tons of talent on the Offense, I wonder if that's correlated with the precipitous decline in Colin Kaepernick's ability to win games? Huh, nah, he must be a garbage QB worse than any third-stringer currently employed in the NFL, surely.

e. I'm still salty about this obviously. The team deserves a better QB than Colin, but the team could (and did) win with him, when they bothered to invest in creating an offense corps around him that played to his strengths.

basically gently caress Jed York forever I hope he dies

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Crabtree was a fine WR1, as evidenced by a superbowl run with him anchoring the WR corps, and his current success in Oakland.

When he was healthy and in the mood to play for the 49ers, which was maybe one game in four.

Otherwise no. He’s playing consistently better in Oakland for reasons that should be obvious.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

When he was healthy and in the mood to play for the 49ers, which was maybe one game in four.

Otherwise no. He’s playing consistently better in Oakland for reasons that should be obvious.

The #1 reason is that Amari Cooper is also on the field so Crabtree generally can't be double-teamed. The #2-5 reasons have to do with the play calling, pass blocking, and of course the superior quarterback play.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, his QB is 100x better

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I forgot about Mario Manningham, the WR2 in SF back in 2012. And remember back when Vernon Davis hadn't got hurt and then developed the dropsies and basically became useless for like four years?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

The #1 reason is that Amari Cooper is also on the field so Crabtree generally can't be double-teamed. The #2-5 reasons have to do with the play calling, pass blocking, and of course the superior quarterback play.

I’d put those at 3-6. #2 probably should be not facing the Seahawks twice a year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

I forgot about Mario Manningham, the WR2 in SF back in 2012. And remember back when Vernon Davis hadn't got hurt and then developed the dropsies and basically became useless for like four years?

Randy Moss and Delanie Walker were more important to that offense than anyone realized at the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

warcrimes posted:

Yeah, his QB is 100x better

It's true his backgammon game is unrivaled

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Randy Moss and Delanie Walker were more important to that offense than anyone realized at the time.

Randy Moss played his last 3 games in 2012. Did he ever even play with Kaep? If he did, it wasn't much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have literally zero memory of Randy Moss on the 49ers

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000112329/Moss-24-yard-TD-catch

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Randy Moss played his last 3 games in 2012. Did he ever even play with Kaep? If he did, it wasn't much.

Benne posted:

I have literally zero memory of Randy Moss on the 49ers

JFC

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright. I saw a PFF chart that said 2 starts and missed that he actually played 16 games in 2012, I guess not listed as the starter for some reason.

But like, if the argument is "Kaep was good when the offense was good" you can't really say Randy Moss was an indispensable part of that good offense, unless you're literally saying Kaep was only good for the half of a season he played in 2012.

Randy Moss was not an 49er in 2013, when Kaep started the whole year and took the team to the superbowl.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Alright. I saw a PFF chart that said 2 starts and missed that he actually played 16 games in 2012, I guess not listed as the starter for some reason.

But like, if the argument is "Kaep was good when the offense was good" you can't really say Randy Moss was an indispensable part of that good offense, unless you're literally saying Kaep was only good for the half of a season he played in 2012.

Randy Moss was not an 49er in 2013, when Kaep started the whole year and took the team to the superbowl.

:doh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Leperflesh posted:

You got your years mixed up. The 2012 49ers went to the Super Bowl, where Moss had two catches for 47 yards. The Seahawks won it the following year after beating the Niners in the NFC Championship, which I'm totally not reminding people of no sir.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Related: The NFL HoF is generally pretty good about just inducting people who were good at football and not grandstanding like the BBWAA, but how the gently caress is TO not in the hall? Dude personally took over any game he was in for a long time.

Michael Irvin is in the Hall, there is no legitimate way to keep TO out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Related: The NFL HoF is generally pretty good about just inducting people who were good at football and not grandstanding like the BBWAA, but how the gently caress is TO not in the hall? Dude personally took over any game he was in for a long time.

Michael Irvin is in the Hall, there is no legitimate way to keep TO out.

The NFL HoF is basically a popularity contest as decided by the good ol' boys, that's how.

Benne posted:

You got your years mixed up. The 2012 49ers went to the Super Bowl, where Moss had two catches for 47 yards. The Seahawks won it the following year after beating the Niners in the NFC Championship, which I'm totally not reminding people of no sir.

I'm at peace with it. There are plenty of things the Seahawks did that will always anger me, but just winning against the 49ers is not among them.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 12, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Benne posted:

god loving dammit, of course, because superbowls are in the year following the year the season started, arggh

look I'm just gonna accept it: that was real stupid of me and given I actually watched both of those games I am getting increasingly concerned about the quality of my medium-term memory

e. also for the record, the NFC championship game basically counts as the superbowl because AFC sucks, amririte

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Leperflesh posted:

god loving dammit, of course, because superbowls are in the year following the year the season started, arggh

look I'm just gonna accept it: that was real stupid of me and given I actually watched both of those games I am getting increasingly concerned about the quality of my medium-term memory

e. also for the record, the NFC championship game basically counts as the superbowl because AFC sucks, amririte

Absolutely, I have no idea why people keep showing an interception from an exhibition game after we already won the Super Bowl against the Packers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Delanie Walker has proven to be a really good TE, and it is among the 49ers’ many terrible personnel fuckups of that time that we let him walk.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

rjmccall posted:

Delanie Walker has proven to be a really good TE, and it is among the 49ers’ many terrible personnel fuckups of that time that we let him walk.

In his last season with the Niners he dropped nine goddamn balls on 39 targets so I literally do not fault SF in the slightest for showing Walker the door.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

In his last season with the Niners he dropped nine goddamn balls on 39 targets so I literally do not fault SF in the slightest for showing Walker the door.

He had a down year in his first year with a new QB who was still working through some serious velocity and accuracy issues. He returned to his historical rate the next year and then just kept getting better.

We had a lot of bad luck with injuries and retirements, but Baalke also just let a ton of talent walk out the door over and over because he was convinced he was some genius drafter. He didn't think we needed to keep two veteran TEs and so he chose VD, which is a dumbass way of approaching a roster, especially when the players fit totally different roles.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I dunno, even from a rival's distance Delanie Walker never impressed me in San Francisco, and among the deeper analyst crowd he didn't get much attention beyond Guy Who Exists. I thought his Titans breakout legit came out of nowhere.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I recall being disappointed to see him leave because he was talented, but thought it was the right move because of the contract he got.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I don't mean to say that he was amazing when he was here, and he's definitely gotten better since he left, but :shrug: I always liked him.

I dunno, I think fans tend to under-value players who are sitting around league average, as if there was some reliable way of replacing them with a better player. "League average" means average across everyone who's actually playing, i.e. mostly across starters, which is going to be quite a bit higher than the average of all the available players. Losing even an average starting-quality player means the team is probably in for a few years of throwing draft picks and FA contracts at dudes who are probably going end up being quite a bit worse than the guy who just walked; plus there's a lot of value in having people who've played together for more than just a couple weeks of training camp.

Of course there are salary cap concerns the other way, and you can't just be loyal to everyone forever.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 12, 2017

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a little more damning when you consider we let both Vernon Davis and Walker go. Both are still producing and we got worse at the position. I think deciding to pay Davis and not Walker was defensible, but getting rid of both of them in favor of fuckin Vance McDonald or whatever was the questionable choice.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I think it's a little more damning when you consider we let both Vernon Davis and Walker go. Both are still producing and we got worse at the position. I think deciding to pay Davis and not Walker was defensible, but getting rid of both of them in favor of fuckin Vance McDonald or whatever was the questionable choice.

and Crabtree. But it's okay, they were bad before because ~*ReAsOns*~

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

warcrimes posted:

and Crabtree. But it's okay, they were bad before because ~*ReAsOns*~

Reasons being the Seahawks secondary had set up shop in their head like a Cranberries song

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Spoeank posted:

WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US

Browns and Giants, assuming you mean draft position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Least i can take some solace we can actually beat a team. Sure a depleted rear end team but hey win is win.

• Locked thread