Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The Dennis System posted:

The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that the enemies scale to your level, so what's the point of leveling up or getting a more powerful weapon?

there isn't

the point is to loving break the game to your will where it's not fun and then enjoy the camaraderie complaining with everyone else who had the same experience of a the thrill of the quick flash of numbers going above expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

VictorianQueerLit posted:

After seeing you unironically defend consoles being the unquestionably superior gaming platforms I'm pretty sure explaining my statement to you, in a way that you can understand, would be a waste of time. I still want to laugh at you for the way you took it though.

watch out this pc gamer speedrunning maniac is coming at you at the speed of light, Only the most difficult games that require the most difficult speedruns for this guy, keep those baby games away

i never said "unquestionable superior" you nerdo, thats something a pc game master race loser would say. I just think consoles have some advantages and its not as "objective" as you the pcgamer circlejerk claim

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

peter gabriel posted:

That's pretty controversial my man

Sorry, man.

I really flew off the handle there. I'm gonna take a few deep breaths and count to ten.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally A Person posted:

Sorry, man.

I really flew off the handle there. I'm gonna take a few deep breaths and count to ten.

Look, you had a crazy moment, thought better of it, took a step back and reflected on it. To me that's the mark of a true man, I salute you :)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

peter gabriel posted:

Look, you had a crazy moment, thought better of it, took a step back and reflected on it. To me that's the mark of a true man, I salute you :)

:respek:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm sort of looking to see where this console / PC argument is heading

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just enjoying watching victorianqueerlit make himself look like a big sad dork.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

watch out this pc gamer speedrunning maniac is coming at you at the speed of light, Only the most difficult games that require the most difficult speedruns for this guy, keep those baby games away

i never said "unquestionable superior" you nerdo, thats something a pc game master race loser would say. I just think consoles have some advantages and its not as "objective" as you the pcgamer circlejerk claim

The speedrunning comment was to say

"This game requires such little skill that a small child would be enough to play it at it's most complex" or in other words "This game is extremely easy"

I'm not sure which speedrunner stuffed you, an even bigger nerd apparently, in a locker or whatever but I have nothing to do with it.

You should probably work on reading things and digesting them instead of just shrieking about your personal issues with the PC master race and speedrunning.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just enjoying watching victorianqueerlit make himself look like a big sad dork.

I think the guy grinding post game content in Mario Odyssey shouldn't be throwing stones here.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 12, 2017

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You should probably work on reading things and digesting them instead of just shrieking about your personal issues with the PC master race and speedrunning.

i understood, its just the fact that you actually consider speedrunning, like it is something in your head and something you think about as a possibility that is the actual embarrassment, you are clearly off the deep end when it comes to video games.

like your weird thing about mario being for babies is really funny, like other video games are more suiting for an adult or something, i've seen an 8 year old beat GTA 5

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Countdown til someone says 'reading comprehension'

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

i understood, its just the fact that you actually consider speedrunning, like it is something in your head and something you think about as a possibility that is the actual embarrassment, you are clearly off the deep end when it comes to video games

Regardless of whatever is causing you to lose your mind about Speedrunning it is actually complex and takes some degree of effort. So saying that a game can be played at that level by a child is an accurate way to say that it is easy.

I'm sorry speedrunning murdered your parents or whatever.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Regardless of whatever is causing you to lose your mind about Speedrunning it is actually complex and takes some degree of effort. So saying that a game can be played at that level by a child is an accurate way to say that it is easy.

I'm sorry speedrunning murdered your parents or whatever.

no dude a dayjob is complex and takes effort, speedrunning takes time and an autistic degree of determination and time wasted at something so meaningless that your brain doesn't process priorities correctly

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Dennis System posted:

The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that the enemies scale to your level, so what's the point of leveling up or getting a more powerful weapon?

Their level scales but does that mean their stats increase the same way the player's will? As you level up you increase your crafting skills meaning your armour and weapons will likely be better than standard, and you get more spells and perks with varied ways to approach every encounter. Even with level scaling, fighting enemies at level 30 is going to be a different experience from fighting them at level 1

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Speedrunning is complex in the same way that say, making spaghetti is complex.You have the pan and water then you have the heat and timing and if you get it in the wrong order then good luck with the barrel in Sonic 2

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

no dude a dayjob is complex and takes effort, speedrunning takes time and an autistic degree of determination and time wasted at something so meaningless that your brain doesn't process priorities correctly

Did you bet all of your money on a speedrunning competition and lose or something? Jesus christ.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 12, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only thing I know about speed running was some goons posting this AMAZING story of some speed runner groupie giving out handies to a room full of sad dorks at convention and then halfway through the weekend her husband found out and left.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well if something killed my parents and made me bankrupt I wouldn't like that thing and I think that's a pretty fair standpoint really given the circumstances of becoming a penniless orphan due to the thing in question.
This isn't a criticism of speedrunning in particular, but any thing that makes you penniless / parentless is pretty bad, unless of course that's your fetish or something, in that case it's all good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is a sadder endeavor than speed running I don't know what it is. Watching entire let's plays as an actual form of entertainment maybe?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Did you bet all of your money on a speedrunning competition and lose or something? Jesus christ.

drat this guy is such a lameass, posts like this are so lame

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing I know about speed running was some goons posting this AMAZING story of some speed runner groupie giving out handies to a room full of sad dorks at convention and then halfway through the weekend her husband found out and left.

You just know that a good portion of that room were timing each one of her handies and thinking of ways of finishing quicker

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the best thing about speedrunning is that you spend hundreds of hours doing it, and then you win no money, and nobody in the outside world can contextualise it or cares

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

2house2fly posted:

Their level scales but does that mean their stats increase the same way the player's will? As you level up you increase your crafting skills meaning your armour and weapons will likely be better than standard, and you get more spells and perks with varied ways to approach every encounter. Even with level scaling, fighting enemies at level 30 is going to be a different experience from fighting them at level 1

You're probably right, but it still feels like a different (and, for me, worse) experience than you'd get in the old school JRPGs where if an enemy was at a much higher level than you, you just straight-up couldn't fight them because they were out of your league. So you got a feeling of accomplishment when you leveled up enough to be powerful enough to fight them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

veni veni veni posted:

If there is a sadder endeavor than speed running I don't know what it is. Watching entire let's plays as an actual form of entertainment maybe?

Posting on web forums

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Speed running is stupid because they're usually cheating. Some dude beat Diablo in six minutes but he basically rerolled each level hundreds of times until the stairs down spawned right next to the stairs up on every single level. That's not speed running that's save scumming, you're a liar and the worst kind of nerd. If I was emperor of the world you better loving believe there'd be consequences.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

the best thing about speedrunning is that you spend hundreds of hours doing it, and then you win no money, and nobody in the outside world can contextualise it or cares

It's a great way to let the outside world know that you don't have a job in not so many words.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Posting on web forums

It's true :stare:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing I don't like in level scaling is in Bloodborne, when there's enemies of a certain level and then the same enemies in another area will be higher level just because that's an area you go to later in the game. Have different enemies there bitch! It's worst in the lecture hall, where the downstairs students are low level because you go there early game, but then when you go upstairs in the late game there's the EXACT SAME STUDENTS but much higher level!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Caesar Saladin posted:

Speedrunning is like any other high octane sport. When you get to that level of competition emotions run high, but only the emotions of the fans. A good speedrunner never gets excited as this could cause you to easily approach a corner at the wrong angle or in extreme cases could cause you to run a pixel past a ladder before going up it.
It's not done for glory or money, it is done for personal pride. If other people get on board then cool, whatever, but in a speedrunners minds eye there is only one visible thing and that thing is the ticking clock that determines whether he is or is not the very very best at Green Hill Zone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To be fair, speedrunninng, like any hobby, doesn’t matter to anyone besides the people who already care.

Do you give a poo poo about kayaking? Scrapbooking? Stamp collecting? Bird watching? Fishing?

gently caress no you don’t, and someone talking to you about how they saw a rare jackdaw at 5 am with frozen claws gripping their binoculars is precisely as inane as someone talking about their frame perfect 21.05 Super Metroid clear

This comes from years of trying to explain magic: the gathering to girlfriends and eventually realizing there isn’t a way to explain it that isn’t incredibly lame, but who cares because knitting is just as lame.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

but with knitting, when all is said and done, you end up with a comfy hat or sweater

fishing and birdwatching you have time outside and memories and photographs and actual fish to eat

mtg you can win money and get paid

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

drat this guy is such a lameass, posts like this are so lame

You should turn your gimmick into a career. Start a review show called "The Gigantic Blubbering Vagina Critic" where you have nuclear meltdowns constantly about the PC master race or something. When you have a guest you can start ranting and raving at them if they don't use the exact vocabulary to describe things that makes sense to you. I'd like and subscribe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bust Rodd posted:

To be fair, speedrunninng, like any hobby, doesn’t matter to anyone besides the people who already care.

Do you give a poo poo about kayaking? Scrapbooking? Stamp collecting? Bird watching? Fishing?

gently caress no you don’t, and someone talking to you about how they saw a rare jackdaw at 5 am with frozen claws gripping their binoculars is precisely as inane as someone talking about their frame perfect 21.05 Super Metroid clear

This comes from years of trying to explain magic: the gathering to girlfriends and eventually realizing there isn’t a way to explain it that isn’t incredibly lame, but who cares because knitting is just as lame.

I would be interested in the Jackdaw and the Metroid thing, I like hearing about things people think are cool, I find it infectious and endearing :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol your burns are so lame.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Good soup! posted:

growing up I had more fun with Sim Theme Park than Roller Coaster Tycoon

You monster

Magius1337est posted:

red alert 2 was the better RTS than starcraft

what they call the "macro" of starcraft was really just its inability for the engine to highlight more than 8 units at a time and give them individually proper pathfinding, somehow this became a "feature" instead of a handicap

My favorite bit was all the people on the blizzard forums whining about how poo poo like "workers rallied to resources automatically gather that spot" was a terrible thing to put in the game because it took away player skill.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You should turn your gimmick into a career. Start a review show called "The Gigantic Blubbering Vagina Critic" where you have nuclear meltdowns constantly about the PC master race or something. When you have a guest you can start ranting and raving at them if they don't use the exact vocabulary to describe things that makes sense to you. I'd like and subscribe.

you lil bitch retard lmao you have ten posts about mario in this thread, like and subscribe to by ballsack

now write your post again and maybe you'll beat your personal best and maybe world record some day if you train real hard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

peter gabriel posted:

I would be interested in the Jackdaw and the Metroid thing, I like hearing about things people think are cool, I find it infectious and endearing :)

I’m the same way, I can find anything interesting if the person talking about it cares. That’s literally the only way someone can enjoy fantasy literature after all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m the same way, I can find anything interesting if the person talking about it cares. That’s literally the only way someone can enjoy fantasy literature after all.

Or stamps!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

you lil bitch retard lmao you have ten posts about mario in this thread, like and subscribe to by ballsack

now write your post again and maybe you'll beat your personal best and maybe world record some day if you train real hard

I kinda feel bad picking on you but it might enlighten you to know that you are making my point for me. I never said one thing about my personal opinion of speedrunning other than that it is a thing that requires effort. I think it's dumb too but because you saw someone say "speedrunning" you have been losing your mind and being a huge condescending douche. All it took was for you to read the word like some kind of russian sleeper agent programmed to become autistic when someone whispers his magic code phrase.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah. I've watched a few short videos on the history of some famous glitches in speedrunning. Just like I've watched videos on weird poo poo like competitive Smash Brothers having extreme drama at it's tournaments. All of it's dumb but I think some of the circumstances or mechanics are interesting sometimes.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 12, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So basically what happens to you when you hear the word Mario?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the fact is that to call mario and easy baby game and then to mention speedrunning, it just makes you seem like a real embarrassing type of video game player to me, I just wanted to make fun of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

the fact is that to call mario and easy baby game and then to mention speedrunning, it just makes you seem like a real embarrassing type of video game player to me, I just wanted to make fun of you

I don't like some games that Nintendo makes and I am aware that speedrunning exists as a concept. I hate to tell you but there are a lot of people like that.

Unfortunately there are also a lot of gamers that are so tone deaf they don't realize they are what they are complaining about.