Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah not touching it. AFAIK it's nothing at all and even if it is its none of my loving business. If he suspects something and asks me if I've seen anything I guess that's different. If I was banging some chick I wouldn't want some neighbor sticking their nose in my business either so letting it be.

Midjack posted:

What benefit do you hope to derive from getting yourself involved? I mean, if she's DTF I guess you could see if you could have a go with her, but that's really about the only thing you could hope to get out of it. I suppose if you think the husband would kick her rear end or kill her or something and you'd find that amusing you could drop the dime too.

Stay out of it.
You're being a bit of an rear end. I get zero benefit out of it either way and possibly only negatives. The question was whether I should let my friend know his wife might be getting nailed by some other dude in his bed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yoooo don't touch that poo poo dogg.

Man if Honda had ever bothered to make a CRZ-R it would have been a hell of a fun car. It's a really fun chassis let down by not enough power. They could have even kept the mild hybrid system with a K series engine instead of the Fit motor that's in there now and it'd be a riot.

Hell, even the IMA motor + 1.8 Civic motor wouldn't have been bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Yoooo don't touch that poo poo dogg.

Man if Honda had ever bothered to make a CRZ-R it would have been a hell of a fun car. It's a really fun chassis let down by not enough power. They could have even kept the mild hybrid system with a K series engine instead of the Fit motor that's in there now and it'd be a riot.

Hell, even the IMA motor + 1.8 Civic motor wouldn't have been bad.

I loved the CR-Z's design but hot drat was it a turd to drive. I still can't believe they pushed ahead with it as a hybrid only.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I loved the CR-Z's design but hot drat was it a turd to drive. I still can't believe they pushed ahead with it as a hybrid only.

CVT or MT? My wife's is a CVT and I surprisingly really enjoy driving it. It's slow but doesn't have any trouble keeping up with traffic and jumping from lights to <45mph or so. It's a bit loud on the highway though. It seems like it'd be really fun with a MT in the "slow car fast" sort of way.

Today she said she pretty much always drives in sport mode because it keeps the revs higher and it's more responsive. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Previa_fun posted:

CVT or MT? My wife's is a CVT and I surprisingly really enjoy driving it. It's slow but doesn't have any trouble keeping up with traffic and jumping from lights to <45mph or so. It's a bit loud on the highway though. It seems like it'd be really fun with a MT in the "slow car fast" sort of way.

The scary thing about this is that more and more of us in AI are on the "CVT is not poo poo all the time" boat. I never would have thought that, but the CVT/turbo motor combo of my wife's Juke is absolutely entertaining. I'd prefer it with a manual, but the CVT is simply not a detriment.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The CVT in this Honda is pretty good and by all accounts Honda's modern CVTs are better. Subaru is doing the fake gears thing in their CVTs which I get but whatever. As an aside: Our company just got a few 2017 Foresters in our fleet and while they're decent they feel really cheap inside for the price. The transmissions aren't bad outside of the fake gears but the electronic throttle mapping is awful to the point it takes a concerted effort to get a smooth take off from a stop without lurching forward.

I still prefer a MT but I wouuldn't turn down any modern automatic these days. We're getting old, AI. :shobon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A fun CRZ already exists, it's called a CRX.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

angryrobots posted:

...Earlybird child negotiation...

I would metaphorically kill for that sort of thing. Want to swap kids for a bit?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Previa_fun posted:

The CVT in this Honda is pretty good and by all accounts Honda's modern CVTs are better. Subaru is doing the fake gears thing in their CVTs which I get but whatever. As an aside: Our company just got a few 2017 Foresters in our fleet and while they're decent they feel really cheap inside for the price. The transmissions aren't bad outside of the fake gears but the electronic throttle mapping is awful to the point it takes a concerted effort to get a smooth take off from a stop without lurching forward.

I still prefer a MT but I wouuldn't turn down any modern automatic these days. We're getting old, AI. :shobon:

I like the CVT in my HR-V, but only because they didn't make an AWD manual one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seminal Flu posted:

The scary thing about this is that more and more of us in AI are on the "CVT is not poo poo all the time" boat. I never would have thought that, but the CVT/turbo motor combo of my wife's Juke is absolutely entertaining. I'd prefer it with a manual, but the CVT is simply not a detriment.

Granted most CVT's are turds still (Looking at you, Mitsubishi) - but yeah there's no denying some CVT's arent bad anymore.

quote:

Subaru is doing the fake gears thing in their CVTs which I get but whatever

The default behavior of CVT's doesnt work well with a petrol internal combustion engine - you want the revs to change to suit the circumstance. As a result even in the leave it alone mode, the gearbox isnt a shitshow.... in from my experience the turbodiesesl and the WRX/Levorg really do work quite well. The NA's are still hosed in the head tho - but overall I personally think the fake gearing modes make for a much better to use gearbox.

A turbdiesel seems to fit a CVT really well, that's I think now a given.

quote:

I still prefer a MT but I wouuldn't turn down any modern automatic these days. We're getting old, AI.

Dunno if we're getting old or it's more autos have gotten really, good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Well the benefit of a CVT is you can select the RPM based on the throttle position and mode and stay there. So throttle down gets you peak HP and the engine stays there while the transmission handles the changing wheel speed. Long as it won't grenade it should feel pretty nice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That moment when a friend (... who you may or may not have fooled around with once) says they just found out they're HIV+. :stonk:

Thankfully - for me anyway - we only fooled around once, and it was several years ago. Plus I've been tested recently (couple of months ago). But uh yeah, when he told me, it made my heart skip a little.

At least he's keeping a positive attitude about it... mostly through humor and positive attitude dad-jokes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dunno if we're getting old or it's more autos have gotten really, good.
Yeah, modern autos are getting way better. My attitude has always been that I don't like an auto on a small engine, but they're ok on something 4.0+ litres, but modern stuff is eroding that fairly well. I still don't like a "poor" auto on a small, revvy/turbo'd engine as it gets frustrating with how they react, but I'd certainly consider one on a lot of cars.

Dual-clutch gearboxes are impressive, and they seem to have been around long enough to show they can be reliable, and I really rate them for diesels, they definitely take the edge of one of my major dislikes with how diesels drive (the way the torque/power feels and the rev range).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The auto in my Integra (B18A - 1.8 DOHC) wasn't terrible to deal with, especially for late 80s tech (car was a 91 model year, but they used the same gearbox from 90-01 IIRC). It downshifted quickly when needed, it would downshift as you slowed down (so if you had to get moving again in a hurry, it was already in a lower gear - also, that tiny bit of engine braking), and most importantly (to me anyway), it shifted pretty firmly for what was essentially an economy car that pretended to be a sports car. I'll take a firm shift over one you can't feel; at least that way I know the clutches aren't seeing a ton of wear.

It shifted firm enough that it would chirp the front tires on 1->2 if you had it matted.

Honestly, that autobox impressed me; most of the ones I've driven since then just piss me off. Especially the 4T45E that GM stuck in many of their late 90s-late 00s cars (it was pretty much only the DBW cars affected by this, the ones with an actual throttle cable seemed to downshift fine). You stomp it, it goes something like this:

0:00: pedal meets floor
0:01: oh I see you want to pass someone.. okay... let me check with my boss
0:02: my boss has approved unlocking the torque converter!
0:03: wait, the pedal is still on the floor, okay, let me check with my boss again
0:05: my boss has approved the downshift into 3nd!
0:06: why is the pedal still on the floor? ARE THOSE AIR HORNS BEHIND YOU? OH poo poo YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET RUN OVER BY A FULLY LOADED 80,000 POUND TRUCK! gently caress gently caress gently caress DOWNSHIFT DOWNSHIFT, BOSS WHAT THE gently caress DO WE DO?!?!?
0:07 I've submitted another request to my boss for the downshift into second, one moment. I'll see if he can prioritize this as a shift into 1st for you, but no promises.
0:12: my boss has approved the downshift into firs*crunch and splat as 18 wheeler slams into car that couldn't accelerate its way out of a paper sack, even though it had a 3.8L V6 and had been WOT for drat near 15 seconds*
0:15: *boop beep boop* This is Donald from OnStar, your vehicle has reported an accident. Is everybody in the vehicle okay? Hello? Is everyone okay? insert sound of driver screaming in pain as the resulting inferno from the ruptured gas tank turns the driver into a couple of pounds of meat for the the buffet BBQ place down the road Is everyone okay? Alright, I'm not getting a response, I'm disconnecting the call. Thank you for choosing OnStar. Goodbye *boop beep boop*
0:25: Hey, First BBQ Buffet? This is Donald from OnStar, we got one for you half a mile down the road. If you get there in the next 5 minutes, they should be perfectly seared.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 12, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That moment when a friend (... who you may or may not have fooled around with once) says they just found out they're HIV+. :stonk:

Thankfully - for me anyway - we only fooled around once, and it was several years ago. Plus I've been tested recently (couple of months ago). But uh yeah, when he told me, it made my heart skip a little.

At least he's keeping a positive attitude about it... mostly through humor and positive attitude dad-jokes.

Oh yeah. I went to the doc after I had a persistent rash. He didn't even look at it and said "scabies". Also I'm going to get you tested for HIV. We won't call unless it's bad news.

Que two days later and a phone call. I missed it, call back (silently packing myself because…)

On hold for five minutes. Oh sorry just calling to say your pathology is negative.

Sort out your systems. That seemed like a lot of stress on my part

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I got tested in August or September, results were negative. It's been several years since he and I had any kind of sexual contact, and my sex life is about as exciting as a ream of paper these days, so I'm likely in the clear.

I'm going to go get tested again this week just to be safe; there's a thrift store near one of my jobs that uses proceeds to sponsor HIV testing and HIV medications. Testing is free there, and it's on the way to work; it takes about 15 minutes. He told me he started showing symptoms last week (he didn't tell me what those symptoms were), and his doctor ordered a test. He got the results yesterday.

My doctor wants me to get a shitload of bloodwork done ASAP, and gave me a blank referral to a nephrologist (doctor knows how hard it is to find someone in-network with my poo poo insurance, hence the blank referral, but I found someone a couple of days ago thanks to a city facebook group). But that's unrelated to the whole "oh gently caress someone I slept with caught the hivvy" and more to do with my last round of bloodwork being... not great.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 12, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I got tested in August or September, results were negative. It's been several years since he and I had any kind of sexual contact, and my sex life is about as exciting as a ream of paper these days, so I'm likely in the clear.

I'm going to go get tested again this week just to be safe; there's a thrift store near one of my jobs that uses proceeds to sponsor HIV testing and HIV medications. Testing is free there, and it's on the way to work; it takes about 15 minutes. He told me he started showing symptoms last week (he didn't tell me what those symptoms were), and his doctor ordered a test. He got the results yesterday.

My doctor wants me to get a shitload of bloodwork done ASAP, and gave me a blank referral to a nephrologist (doctor knows how hard it is to find someone in-network with my poo poo insurance, hence the blank referral, but I found someone a couple of days ago thanks to a city facebook group). But that's unrelated to the whole "oh gently caress someone I slept with caught the hivvy" and more to do with my last round of bloodwork being... not great.

Oh I just realised the last sentence of my post could be seen as being directed at you, it wasn't at all, it was at the lovely doctor.

Nothing but the best wishes for you, having spent a few moments in terror (for no good reason) I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm sure you're fine :glomp:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Exceptionally lovely weekend.

Friday night

Saturday night

The wagon died driving home from work. Distributor is hosed. Not a biggie I guess, reman dist lands on Friday the 17th.

Feeling a bit down about the wagon, I pulled the ITR from storage. Took it for a little shake down cruise and it somehow sheared the crankshaft bolt. The main pully dropped, shredded all the accessory belts and timing belt on the highway. What's left of the crankshaft bolt is broke off inside the crankshaft. The engine sounded very sick and surely bent valves. I'm so sad.

Now I'm stuck driving a minivan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

4th gen Accord breaking down isn't exactly a big surprise to most people. The distributor was a weak spot, and too many people never bother with the timing belt. Though to be honest I see far more 6th gen Accords broken down than any other Honda, despite seeing just as many 4th gens on the road. The 6th gens, at least in my own ownership experience, were pretty crappy cars outside of the engine and trans.

The ITR though... holy poo poo. I thought Honda torqued the crank pulley bolt to 1,000,000 ugga duggas on all of their classic engines. Good luck with it. :smith: How long has it been since the timing belt was last changed, if ever? It sounds like whoever did it last may have (massively) overtorqued the crank pulley bolt.

e: although minivans aren't all bad, I'd drive this one all day

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
STR: yikes.

TC: noooooooooooo not the Integra :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My company holds their holiday party in November so it doesn't conflict with employee's other holiday plans.

Perfectly seared filet mignon is really really good.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The CB9 is no biggie, just a lovely end to a long work week.

I'm the idiot that hosed up the crankshaft bolt, if anyone. I did the timing belt job on it back in 2012 or 13. Pretty sure I'm going to pull the engine and tranny, the clutch has long been "not right". So I guess this is as good an opportunity as any.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I'm going to Vegas for my 30th and I'm going to rent a cool car for a day to drive out in to the desert -

What should I book -

2015 Aston V8 vantage GT auto for $300 but only includes 100 miles, $1.25 per mile over

2017 Challenger scat pack manual for $180 with 350 miles

2016 Vette z06 w/z07 manual for $500 and 100 miles, 1.75 per mile

They all sound kind of awesome but the Challenger seems like such a bargain. I DD an na Miata and Jetta so anything will probably feel fast however...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wrar posted:

STR: yikes.

TC: noooooooooooo not the Integra :(

Pretty much my reactions. Hope some poo poo goes right to offset all of that, goddamn.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Voltage posted:

So I'm going to Vegas for my 30th and I'm going to rent a cool car for a day to drive out in to the desert -

What should I book -

2015 Aston V8 vantage GT auto for $300 but only includes 100 miles, $1.25 per mile over

They all sound kind of awesome but the Challenger seems like such a bargain. I DD an na Miata and Jetta so anything will probably feel fast however...

C7 would be the most fun at the time
Aston would be most fun to tell the story
Poop Group would be the most fun to watch videos of
I'd go with the Aston

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

The CB9 is no biggie, just a lovely end to a long work week.

I'm the idiot that hosed up the crankshaft bolt, if anyone. I did the timing belt job on it back in 2012 or 13. Pretty sure I'm going to pull the engine and tranny, the clutch has long been "not right". So I guess this is as good an opportunity as any.
Given the originality of the car, it's probably worth keeping the engine and fixing it, rather than putting a new one in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Aston, every single time. The others you could drive at a local dealer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

trouser chili posted:

Feeling a bit down about the wagon, I pulled the ITR from storage. Took it for a little shake down cruise and it somehow sheared the crankshaft bolt. The main pully dropped, shredded all the accessory belts and timing belt on the highway. What's left of the crankshaft bolt is broke off inside the crankshaft. The engine sounded very sick and surely bent valves. I'm so sad.

Now I'm stuck driving a minivan.
No, not the Type R :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm attempting :argh:-PO-level bodywork and I'm torn between being completely embarrassed and not giving a gently caress.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Voltage posted:

What should I book -

Personally, I'd go for the Challenger only because 100miles isn't much for a day in the desert and range anxiety would spoil my enjoyment.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Voltage posted:

Cruising in the desert on a long, straight road sounds like a job for the Challenger, especially with the range restrictions on the other two. Spend the difference in a casinoon buffets.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I'm attempting :argh:-PO-level bodywork and I'm torn between being completely embarrassed and not giving a gently caress.

I know the feeling. It comes down to asking yourself if you need to do it. If you do, then who gives a poo poo?

For example on the Niva I've used a sledgehammer, hand sledge, big bit of wood for a lever, large rock, tek screws etc etc just because I needed to do something and had to take the path of least resistance.

When we bought the Magna from the wreckers maybe 11 years back, it had an oddly squashed in middle of the rear. I used the towbar unbolted from the VW, a scissor jack and some bits of wood to push the back out again into shape.

I could think of more but don't want to. Not my proudest moments. We all do what we have to do.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Final warning: AI:SS registration ends in 2 days. Thread in the stickies.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Aww dang. Hope you can get the ITR fixed. I love both your Hondas.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:siren:

iForge posted:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

redgubbinz posted:

Cruising in the desert on a long, straight road sounds like a job for the Challenger, especially with the range restrictions on the other two. Spend the difference in a casinoon buffets.

Yeah I went with the challenger, should be fun to rip on, and I don't have to worry at all about mileage. Still a 485HP v8 muscle car with a stick. If the Aston was a stick I would have done it no question, but 100 miles is nothing nonetheless.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iForge posted:

Quoted just because. Last year was my first time and the goons went gentle on me. A+ experience would buy again.

My post today in the chat thread? If you start watching episode six of stranger things season two at ten at night you will not be going to bed until 1:30 because you will watch the rest of the series.

What a ride! I hope they can keep the quality of the story this high because :holymoley:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I am so glad that I can work on the Jeep and not depend on it to be running the same / next day, because goddamn that thing fights me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I had my Justy poo poo the bed the same way as a year ago tonight, but on the other side. The half shafts have splines which run through the brake rotors and mate with wheel hubs that have internal splines. The wheel hubs are the weaker link in this equation, and strip out rather than both of them going. Last time it was an undiagnosable noise that intensified over a couple of weeks before failure; this time it was 2 loud noises in a hundred feet while crossing a 1/2 mile long bridge with no shoulders. The front wheels are a completely open diff sitch, where if one wheel is free spinning the other just goes "not my problem sorry", but the 4wd rear wheels are a locking diff. Immediately clicked on 4WD and made it across the bridge and limped home, but goddamnit was not wanting to do this job again. The parts aren't that expensive, but they are semi-unobtanium that I'll have to order from dealers... for a second time.

• Locked thread