Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

You're a moron.

I never said you're not allowed to like bad films; stop taking this so personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

pre:
Warner Brothers movie pitch lab, int:

ZACK SNYDER
What if Justice League... but in colour?

EXECUTIVES APPLAUD

That's why everything has a godawful shade of red isn't it? Make note please, stop listening to fanboys.

Let good creators create their vision and present their art. It's better that way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

viral spiral posted:

I never said you're not allowed to like bad films; stop taking this so personal.

viral spiral: "Welp, time to take my daily poo poo. Which way to the Comic Book Movie thread?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

That's why everything has a godawful shade of red isn't it? Make note please, stop listening to fanboys.

Let good creators create their vision and present their art. It's better that way.

He did and then left for personal reasons, leaving a fanboy to run the show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

But what if he left notes?

DUN DUN DUN

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Snyders biggest crime is handing the keys to Whedon. What a blunder.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

More JL reaction tweets.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 12, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

josh04 posted:

^ howdy.

They said that people's first impressions of a film are largely determined by how well it meets their expectations, and that's why TDK, the film in which Bale's Batman largely acts out the power fantasy of Batman straight, was more well-received than TDKR, a film which repeatedly subverts our expectations of a Batman film (Bale is aging, he's physically worn, his opponents aren't criminals but popular revolutionaries).

Nah. TDKR just wasn't as good as the first two. I like the whole trilogy but rank them in chronological order. I could have done without Harvey in the second one - or at least portraying his entire arc anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah. TDKR just wasn't as good as the first two. I like the whole trilogy but rank them in chronological order. I could have done without Harvey in the second one - or at least portraying his entire arc anyway.

The whole Dent arc in TDK would actually work if he had been in Batman Begins in a secondary role (ideally Rachel's boss, except he doesn't get killed by Falcone's goons). As it is, TDK spends all this time telling us that he's Gotham's white knight and its savior, but Dent spends most of his time in the movie being an arrogant jackwagon. It's played as a tragic downfall but there's nothing ever really admirable about him to begin with.

In terms of movies reaching for emotional beats that they haven't earned, the sadness over Dent in TDK isn't quite as bad as when Star Trek Into Darkness tries to make us feel Spock's anguish when Kirk dies (despite them spending most of the movie hating each other, just like in '09), but it's not terribly far off.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 12, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered Katie Holmes character in Begins. I take it back, that movie is kinda bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

josh04 posted:

They said that people's first impressions of a film are largely determined by how well it meets their expectations, and that's why TDK, the film in which Bale's Batman largely acts out the power fantasy of Batman straight, was more well-received than TDKR, a film which repeatedly subverts our expectations of a Batman film (Bale is aging, he's physically worn, his opponents aren't criminals but popular revolutionaries).

I don't know if having the same arc as the biggest Batman comic ever is really subverting expectations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When people say that JL "fixes the problems with DCEU heroes" or "it gets the heroes right" do they mean that JL presents them without any kind of internal conflict, they are purely good, or what?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The cynic in me thinks that means "They would fit like a glove on the MCU"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr. Apollo posted:

When people say that JL "fixes the problems with DCEU heroes" or "it gets the heroes right" do they mean that JL presents them without any kind of internal conflict, they are purely good, or what?

A great question. However weird or unsuccessful BvS was to people, its decision to depict Batman as a violent psychopath explicitly motivated by trauma was a goddamn great choice.

Marvel movies becoming the pace car for this type of studio production is getting sad. Risk aversion in filmmaking is a super bleak thing to champion.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How many THAT'S MY BATMAN tweets will we see on Friday? :grin:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

More than last time for sure. People cannot accept any different takes on these characters.

But vampire Batman is a-ok. 👌🏻

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We need a Batman vs Dracula movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

We need a Batman vs Dracula movie.

It has been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6Af3tI0hw

Also, there's a Batman VS Jack the Ripper one coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6340tX9M_eM

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The MSJ posted:

More JL reaction tweets.

These early reaction tweets are garbage. I've seen the equivalent of these for every Marvel and Star Wars film and they basically tells you nothing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Justice League is a movie that exists on film in a theater. I saw it and it features actors playing characters. There are special effects. The actors repeat lines that were written for them on a script."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All those reviews read like they want to say good things, but also don't want to hurt the movie's feelings.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So the villain poster for black panther has the tagline "his peoples pride" does that mean its going to be about a rich monarch using special technology to put down a populist uprising

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Those early JL responses seems to be pretty consistent in their praise of the characters. Suicide Squad was a bit like that where the movie was considered bad but people loved Deadshot and Harley.

Uncle Wemus posted:

So the villain poster for black panther has the tagline "his peoples pride" does that mean its going to be about a rich monarch using special technology to put down a populist uprising

I think it’s more his people as in his tribe?

The movie sounds like what is happening in Saudi Arabia today where the more moderate heir to the throne wants to open up the country but some rebels wants them to remain conservative and exclusive.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mr. Apollo posted:

The ethics or morality of current comic book superheros are perfunctory to the actual essence: how vicariously the viewer can live through them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Timby posted:

The whole Dent arc in TDK would actually work if he had been in Batman Begins in a secondary role (ideally Rachel's boss, except he doesn't get killed by Falcone's goons). As it is, TDK spends all this time telling us that he's Gotham's white knight and its savior, but Dent spends most of his time in the movie being an arrogant jackwagon. It's played as a tragic downfall but there's nothing ever really admirable about him to begin with.

You've accurately described what happens in the movie but you seem to think it's a mistake?

Worse, one that could be rectified by going back and inserting some nudge-wink references into a different movie.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know if having the same arc as the biggest Batman comic ever is really subverting expectations.

You may have to elaborate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

josh04 posted:

You may have to elaborate.
The Dark Knight Returns features an aging Bruce Wayne who returns to the role of Batman after a decade-long absence, and who suffers a humiliating defeat the first time he faces the Mutant Gang leader. I admit saying it had the same arc might have been a bit inaccurate given they end in different places.

It's hardly the only source of inspiration (No Man's Land and Knightfall are the obvious other stories Rises draws from) but it's one of the most influential and well-regarded Batman stories of all time. It helped redefine people's expectations of a Batman story, so while the idea of an old Batman returning to the field might once have been a bold idea now it's one of the standard concepts for a story (see also Batman v Superman).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All those reviews read like they want to say good things, but also don't want to hurt the movie's feelings.

The trend across a lot of those reviews seems to be "Flash is great! Aquaman is great! Wonder Woman is okay. Batman is .... also in the film" which is slightly worrying seeing as Bruce is apparently the linchpin holding the entire film together.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Dark Knight Returns features an aging Bruce Wayne who returns to the role of Batman after a decade-long absence, and who suffers a humiliating defeat the first time he faces the Mutant Gang leader. I admit saying it had the same arc might have been a bit inaccurate given they end in different places.

It's hardly the only source of inspiration (No Man's Land and Knightfall are the obvious other stories Rises draws from) but it's one of the most influential and well-regarded Batman stories of all time. It helped redefine people's expectations of a Batman story, so while the idea of an old Batman returning to the field might once have been a bold idea now it's one of the standard concepts for a story (see also Batman v Superman).

Well, the subversion would come from the way that in Rises, Bane - rather than being a mute thug - is erudite and explicitly intellectual. Bane, rather than Batman, is the one who marshals the disaffected youth of the city into a vigilante army, and Batman gets his rear end handed to him both times he tries to fight Bane rather than making a triumphant comeback.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The trend across a lot of those reviews seems to be "Flash is great! Aquaman is great! Wonder Woman is okay. Batman is .... also in the film" which is slightly worrying seeing as Bruce is apparently the linchpin holding the entire film together.

"What about Cyborg?"

"Who? Oh,..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

How many THAT'S MY BATMAN tweets will we see on Friday? :grin:

I don't think it'll be that blatant, but I'm already seeing people complain about not getting the JL they want

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
JL is your coworker's ugly baby

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For anyone seeing it here, I'm eager to know if Steppenwolf's armor is as lovely looking as it is in the trailers. I mean that COULDN'T have been finished right? It straight up looked untextured.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

These early reaction tweets are garbage. I've seen the equivalent of these for every Marvel and Star Wars film and they basically tells you nothing.

Yeah.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

They tell you what the tastemaker narrative is going to be. The internet dork cognoscenti hype machine is a big part of the Disney system's success

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

got any sevens posted:

JL is your coworker's ugly baby

The kid sure is ugly but that doesn't mean I want Zack Snyder to shoot it.

And I definitely don't want Joss Whedon touching it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

The internet dork cognoscenti hype machine

Mods I implore you

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

The kid sure is ugly but that doesn't mean I want Zack Snyder to shoot it.

Whedon's JL is your co-worker's ugly baby.

Snyder's JL is your ugly baby

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

According to his ex, Whedon sure did his share of touching.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xealot posted:

However weird or unsuccessful BvS was to people, its decision to depict Batman as a violent psychopath explicitly motivated by trauma was a goddamn great choice.
I also liked the “maybe Superman is just a guy trying to do the right thing” depiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

You're a moron.
checks out. There are plenty of reasons to criticize BvS but the whole MARTHA thing is some willfully dumb comic book movie reviewer hot take poo poo ala the people who were like BEN GRIMM GOT MOLESTED AS A CHILD in the last failed Fantastic Four movie attempt.
Like who watches that scene and interprets it as a literal DUHH BATMAN STOPPED CUZ DA MAN HAD SAME MOM NAME. Maybe hearing his mom's name, realizing Clark was also a being with a mother and not some evil exotic thing, etc. brings him into a moment of reflection and realization in regards to the actions he's taken and how far gone he is?
nah lol they had the same name!!!

• Locked thread