Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey baby, I hear Anubis callin',
Tough scarabs and jackal heads
They're howlin' again

Incroyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goodnight Cairo! We love you!

Wasn't Memphis the ancient capital of Egypt? I could be way off.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
No, Memphis is the ancient capital of great bbq.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Edit: Wrong thread.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FELD1 posted:

Wasn't Memphis the ancient capital of Egypt? I could be way off.

The time between the construction of the Great Pyramid and the conquest of Egypt by Alexander is about the same as the time between the conquest of Egypt by Alexander and the present day. There were a lot of capitals of a lot of different polities.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Memphis was the capitol of egypt at some point. The old kingdom I think, without googling it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Memphis is the capital in AC: Origins and I'm totally sure they did their research

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

basic hitler posted:

Memphis was the capitol of egypt at some point. The old kingdom I think, without googling it.

1-8th dynasties I think

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

precision posted:

Memphis is the capital in AC: Origins and I'm totally sure they did their research

I thought cleopatra and the ptolmeys resided in alexandria

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Egypt is not my field but if I remember correctly Alexandria was capital from around the time of Alexander right up until the Arab conquest 900+ years later.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

They even have you go inside the hidden chambers in the pyramids before it was confirmed to exist in real life.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is AssCreed fun again? I hated III.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

basic hitler posted:

I thought cleopatra and the ptolmeys resided in alexandria

She's a usurper though, I'm only about 1/3 through the story but I could have sworn they were saying Memphis is the "official capital". I could be wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

Black Flag is good because, at least in the past scenes, the protagonist can give two shits about the Assassins/Templars conflict

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

The gameplay for Origins have some significant changes now. You can’t kill everyone with counters anymore, and it’s more of an open world RPG.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Origins is a billion times better than III but it is still an AC game so depending on what you disliked about III you may still not be crazy about it. III has got to be one of the most lifeless video games (for a game with its budget and all the work they put into it) ever made. To the point where I'm still stunned one of the teams - I forget if they still switch off every other year of it is' just one bigger dev of Ubisoft's that does them all now - was able to stumble into making an excellent game with Black Flag.

Syndicate is pretty good too but it's Victorian Britain so you may already be bored of the setting without even starting the game depending on what media you've consumed recently. But personally I'd say for the AC games Black Flag and Origins are the only ones I'd actually recommend to anyone even if I like the series overall.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hear you get to hang out with Marx in Syndicate which seems pretty cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve heard Rogue is good but got overshadowed by the other games

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rogue has good gameplay, but its plot is terrible. Seriously, its protagonist is dumb as a sack of bricks. Also, he isn't a drunk pirate like the hero from Black Flag, so...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also got overshadowed by being released on "the old console" and also by Unity sucking on toast

Seriously I hope whoever decided "let's release two AC games simultaneously, one of which is great and one of which is horribly boring" got fired or demoted. It's just so weird that they did that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rogue has the same problem as Black Flag where the ostensible premise (being an Assassin in BF/a Templar in Rogue) takes forever to take off.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
rear end Creed is a really weird series where they've churned out like a hundred games now; usually poo poo but sometimes really really good and there seems to be no real rhyme or reason as to which one the next game will be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did they finally abandon the stupid modern stuff in Origins or is that still being shoehorned in

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did they finally abandon the stupid modern stuff in Origins or is that still being shoehorned in

It's still in but they are very very short segments that take like 5 minutes tops. at least so far in my game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rear end Creed was supposed to pay off early on with all the history stuff imprinting Assassin skills into the generic bartender dude so he could go into their weird future world and take on the Templars. It started out as being more about showing you cool historical events and less about Assassin/Templar crap, but that eventually went off the rails and now it’s almost all Assassin/Templar groanworthy melodrama you couldn’t care less about over and over and over again. Just think about the mountains of fiction that has been written for that universe which nobody has ever read because it was all tucked away in collectibles. It’s such a waste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well they also pulled the alien poo poo out when it was not remotely necessary, and at first it was okay nebulous Chariots of the Gods type stuff but then they just kept making it dumber

and then they pulled the "what if templars were the good ones?!?!?!?!" for like 4 straight games and at this point everyone in the modern day stuff works for abstergo because i guess they're the good guys now

hell i dunno i don't pay attention to that part of the games

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

rear end Creed was supposed to pay off early on with all the history stuff imprinting Assassin skills into the generic bartender dude so he could go into their weird future world and take on the Templars. It started out as being more about showing you cool historical events and less about Assassin/Templar crap, but that eventually went off the rails and now it’s almost all Assassin/Templar groanworthy melodrama you couldn’t care less about over and over and over again. Just think about the mountains of fiction that has been written for that universe which nobody has ever read because it was all tucked away in collectibles. It’s such a waste.

Yeah I remember at the end of the first game (second?) they had your 'real world' character start to pull some assassin poo poo and take on their guards... then I don't remember sort of thing ever happening again.

Either make it interesting or drop it entirely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why did everyone just went straight to MGS3 for the movie, do you guys not want a live action Vamp? What is wrong with you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why did everyone just went straight to MGS3 for the movie, do you guys not want a live action Vamp? What is wrong with you?

MGS3 works as a self contained and its brand of magical realism and alternate history makes a good lead in and setup to the rest of the series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'd rather get something new than an existing game's story and setpieces being reenacted by real people imho.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that kojima quote was great. I hope he betrays the audience. Make a movie about the guy who can't stop making GBS threads himself, Johnny

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Barudak posted:

MGS3 works as a self contained and its brand of magical realism and alternate history makes a good lead in and setup to the rest of the series.

But... Vamp is a Vampire???

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

He's no vampire

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

But... Vamp is a Vampire???

Thats not why hes called Vamp.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno what any of you are talking about he is a sweet innocent vampire boy who has done nothing wrong.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Snooze Cruise posted:

What's wrong with an MGS1 movie?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How about just a Metal Gear movie. The whole thing is shot top-down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

How about just a Metal Gear movie. The whole thing is shot top-down.

That would betray audience expectations.

I played mgs4 at a buddy's house a bit, that was cool being rambo 3. Fighting russia would be topical nowadays too

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The ideal Metal Gear movie to me would be a pretty close adaptation of the first two games.

So the first half of the movie would basically be like The Raid. You get a pretty simple story and cool action of newbie Solid Snake getting established, meeting some allies/enemies as he infiltrates Outer Heaven, and getting betrayed as he learns more about Big Boss. And Metal Gear despite being clunky as hell and dated already has a perfect action movie cycle of sneaking around - oh poo poo something that makes sneaking around harder - new character/plot revelation - explosive firefight with a boss - repeat. Then the second half would be Snake and Miller/whoever Big Boss down to his base in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake with Snake heading in as the others infiltrate more slowly/provide support. Like just copy Hard-Boiled where the entire second half of that movie is a few brief scenes of everyone ending up at the hospital and then an insane amount of squib-filled action and honorable posturing/support from the rest of the cast for forty-five minutes straight.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Boss has to be Kurt Russel right?

• Locked thread