Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol brazile's book is nutty as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brony Car posted:

For someone who seems to know the right thing to do, she seems to have spent very little time actually executing it.

If it's true she had to fight and fight to get the Hillary campaign to stop infringing on copyright and only succeeded when she figured out she had to say "this might hurt fundraising", I can understand why she wasn't able to accomplish much.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Motto posted:

lol brazile's book is nutty as hell

Maybe, but there’s a lot of truth in it, amidst the histrionics.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

If it's true she had to fight and fight to get the Hillary campaign to stop infringing on copyright and only succeeded when she figured out she had to say "this might hurt fundraising", I can understand why she wasn't able to accomplish much.

It wouldn't surprise me of Brazile was just ignored. It happens to black women all the time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Much like anybody else who writes a book on a horrible failure it's possible that Brazile is making herself look better in hindsight and/or covering her own rear end, so a bit of scepticism is warranted, but I fully believe Brazile when she describes the Clinton campaign and the people therein.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Huzanko posted:

It wouldn't surprise me of Brazile was just ignored. It happens to black women all the time.

Surely not those who are critical of the Democratic Party leadership...:ohdear:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The interview was an utter waste of the specific subject matter much as the rest of the show despite the other guests, but Brazile was certainly very...animated...on her interview/OT stint on Maher's show last night.

Even if much of what's in her book is half-truths, even just those would be pretty damning given the stakes and what is supposed to be a top professional apparatus acting for the greater public good in the long and short of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cerebral Bore posted:

Much like anybody else who writes a book on a horrible failure it's possible that Brazile is making herself look better in hindsight and/or covering her own rear end, so a bit of scepticism is warranted, but I fully believe Brazile when she describes the Clinton campaign and the people therein.

yeah I'm quite open to "Donna Brazile was bad at things and so was everyone else"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah I'm quite open to "Donna Brazile was bad at things and so was everyone else"

That whole concept of the information age seems to be coming home to roost, just not in the benign ways we predicted.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KendallTTaggart/status/929380794254184448

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sometimes i feel like we've just woken up from a dream where there's signs of extreme debauchery all around us and as a society we're still trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of which, https://twitter.com/marquardta/status/929429310510911490

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Can we really trust a WOMAN who isn't in the Kitchen? I mean come on guys. She's clearly a liberal feminazi.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Why yes the Democrats should do the exact thing they just did in Virginia. I guess we should have Brazile in charge instead of Perez. :thunk:

(yes I'm aware that DWS is human garbage incarnate and would've ignored Brazile or anyone else suggesting anything other than "DWS please decide everything")

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/929533237260636160
Thought I'd post this in here too since it's not entirely a product of Trump, and eventually going to be relevant.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

Thought I'd post this in here too since it's not entirely a product of Trump, and eventually going to be relevant.

Trump is going to do serious, permanent damage to every level of the executive and judicial branches and we won't be able to do a drat thing about it when the next Democratic administration takes over. :sigh:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump is going to do serious, permanent damage to every level of the executive and judicial branches and we won't be able to do a drat thing about it when the next Democratic administration takes over. :sigh:

Statist answer:

It seems we need more judges.

Lets double or triple the amount of judges then.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

This is sort of understating the problem, however. Trump named names (that he read off a handy sheet with pictures and all) but he doesn't have the unilateral capacity to place them, as well. Obvious cretins and overt psycopaths though they are, that hasn't stopped their approval by the upper legislative chamber, because the forces behind the Republican party will never accept another Souter, or even Scalia, much less anyone who indicates the slightest possibility they'll err away from the right-wing blueprint. Those senators know exactly what they're doing, and this problem they're creating is on a scale similar to those laws spread by ALEC to every Republican-majority state or their plot to convene a Constitutional Convention.

Clinton would have halted the advance, but I have no reason to believe she would demonstrate the qualities necessary to truly kill it. This is a crisis that only goes away with the Republican party.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/929533237260636160
We are absolutely going to need a Congress that isn't afraid to remove lovely judges (and Justices) from the bench on the barest of pretense, or no pretense. And expand the courts. And every other trick in the book.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

RuanGacho posted:

Statist answer:

It seems we need more judges.

Lets double or triple the amount of judges then.

This and making judicial appointments time-limited instead of for life would be excellent reforms in general. Diluting the toxic effect of Trump era appointments would be an added bonus. It's completely pants-on-head ridiculous that the fate of the republic is dependent on a game of actuarial chance.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Catching up on the news I've missed while I've been unwell and.. ugh. loving Rahm.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Koalas March posted:

Catching up on the news I've missed while I've been unwell and.. ugh. loving Rahm.

Rahm is def on the list of people to be retired from power and I think it should be a priority to make sure next race he's opposed.

In tech circles Chicago is known as the city who sold its assets to private businesses under him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Why is this written in the most obnoxious style ever?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Koalas March posted:

Rahm's got the biggest gap in likability between himself and fictional representations of him. It dwarfs Diamond Joe.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

rahm emmanuel needs to be driven out of the democratic party. people like him even being democrats makes the party look like poo poo. ditto for all these aldermen who think $95 million for cops to learn how to better murder innocents is better than $95 million to p much anything else in chicago (and from what i hear, chicago needs a lot of things taken care of. just not cops)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Noice

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/12/us/nsa-shadow-brokers.html

The NSA has been broken apparently.

quote:

Some veteran intelligence officials believe a lopsided focus on offensive weapons and hacking tools has, for years, left American cyberdefense dangerously porous.

“We have had a train wreck coming,” said Mike McConnell, the former N.S.A. director and national intelligence director. “We should have ratcheted up the defense parts significantly.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:laffo:

they were paying people with the responsibilities the NSA demanded $80k a year starter salary if they were lucky

no loving wonder they have leaks

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
This article is about the value of political unions and against separatist movements in places like Scotland or Catalonia, but it also goes into some of the problems with modern trade policy and what to do about free trade as an aside. It's a very interesting read. It's not primarily about the United States but it compares the political and economic situation here with other places.

quote:

Faced with this challenge, European countries have been pressured to gut their public services and labor laws so that they can lower their taxes and wages and maintain competitiveness with Germany. Emmanuel Macron will be the third French president in a row to attempt to ape German labor market reforms. Britain has tried to take a hacksaw to the NHS (National Health Service) in a bid to fund tax cuts for the rich to bribe them into locating in and around London. The public, of course, is dissatisfied with this gutting of labor standards and critical government services—and so governments move quickly to find vulnerable people to blame: immigrants, refugees, their own unions (both the labor and political varieties). The Scots have been blaming the UK and the UK has been blaming the EU. The Catalans are blaming Spain.

But it’s not the unions that have failed the people of Europe. It’s the confederacy. If rich US states like New York or California could exercise the kind of influence Germany exercises in Europe, of course they’d do the same thing. The problem isn’t Spain or France or the UK or even Germany, it’s the crummy collective institutions they’ve constructed. They rushed economic integration without making adequate provision for its political oversight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

He's been even grumpier since he stopped posting on Something Awful.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

:laffo:

they were paying people with the responsibilities the NSA demanded $80k a year starter salary if they were lucky

no loving wonder they have leaks

Yeah, that is peanuts for the area around Fort Meade much less the DC metro area.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Kilroy posted:

We are absolutely going to need a Congress that isn't afraid to remove lovely judges (and Justices) from the bench on the barest of pretense, or no pretense. And expand the courts. And every other trick in the book.

Hmmm "remove our political opponents with no pretenses"
:hitler:

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Office Pig posted:

This is a crisis that only goes away with the Republican party.

Can't go wrong with a one party dictatorship.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harsh But True posted:

Hmmm "remove our political opponents with no pretenses"
:hitler:

“We need to remove our opponents’ lovely appointees that are unqualified and bad for the population at large via our legislative body’s normal process” is definitely the same as Hitler’s purges, I agree that this is definitely accurate and not at all stupid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

“We need to remove our opponents’ lovely appointees that are unqualified and bad for the population at large via our legislative body’s normal process” is definitely the same as Hitler’s purges, I agree that this is definitely accurate and not at all stupid.

Either way it's a real bad idea that will be used harder and for more spurious reasons against the Dems than they ever intended it to be used. The filibuster was first ratcheted up by the left, then the GOP perfected it against them.

At the end of the day, the left will never stand for the level of insanity that the right will.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Boon posted:

Either way it's a real bad idea that will be used harder and for more spurious reasons against the Dems than they ever intended it to be used. Best to just not cross the line first.

Republicans spent 8 years throwing a tantrum because a black man won the presidency and declared on day one they were going to abdicate their role as governing party. Before that, they tried to impeach a Democratic president over a sex scandal. Republican presidents since Nixon have been universally awful shitheads and to top it off, they stole a Supreme Court seat.

The democratic norms of the United States have been dead since at least ‘94 and its already assumed by the media that Democrats are the adults but Republicans are whiny children who get a pass for everything they do. gently caress ‘em. If they don’t want to do things properly then there’s no reason we should be taking their garbage nominees seriously.

We discuss this as they attempt to appoint a loving blogger to a judgeship because he’ll vote straight R lmao. gently caress these people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah thats fine but it misses the point.

What would have happened if Reid had killed the filibuster? Do you think the GOP would have been judicious in their governing today or would they have just passed really lovely bills on a simple majority at will?

If you want to take actions that will inevitably lead to blowback in the long-term, I'd ask that you at least assess what that blowback might look like.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Boon posted:

Yeah thats fine but it misses the point.

What would have happened if Reid had killed the filibuster? Do you think the GOP would have been judicious in their governing today or would they have just passed really lovely bills on a simple majority?

If Reid had killed the filibuster and they rammed public healthcare and more stimulus through over Republican objections we’d have a Democratic supermajority today. :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Koalas March posted:

Chance is awesome and should challenge Rahm to a rap battle for the soul and mayorship of Chicago.

or, you know, someone could just throw Rahm out a window or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boon posted:

Either way it's a real bad idea that will be used harder and for more spurious reasons against the Dems than they ever intended it to be used. The filibuster was first ratcheted up by the left, then the GOP perfected it against them.

At the end of the day, the left will never stand for the level of insanity that the right will.
Well then we'll have to make sure to break the back of the Republican party while we're at it. Root and stem, as it were.

It doesn't really matter "what the Republicans would do" because they're just going to continue to bend or break the rules until there isn't a functioning democracy left in this country. They need to be destroyed in the first place so worrying about handing them the tools to break democracy (and, uh, a judiciary that is more responsive to the legislature is nothing of the sort) misses the point: they're going to make those tools themselves and use them anyway.

• Locked thread