Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i thought they did a pretty good job with vanguard bandits and i enjoyed their work on growlanser a lot. well that's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i thought they did a pretty good job with vanguard bandits and i enjoyed their work on growlanser a lot. well that's my story.

Oh god no, their Vanguard Bandits one was trash. They added fart jokes to important scenes and mistranslated a bunch of combat dialogue.

Hell, they managed to change Verethragna to "Ultragunner"

You know. For the mecha that wields a sword. Ultragunner.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 12, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Working designs never made a good translation in their lives

Yes including that one

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The Colonel posted:

probably yeah

vay is a special one though cause it's working designs. i'm looking at a bunch of their games on tcrf and finding out that things get even more ridiculous than i'm familiar with

I had no idea that was something that was added to the US version! I thought it was pretty neat, actually. I immediately thought of using the ocarina, but then again I played a lot of adventure games at the time.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I guess as apologies for bringing Working Designs back up, i'll say that tonight i finished Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection and while it's got a lot of issues as an action RPG with a really lousy ranking system that requires all platinums for 100% while also making obtaining platinums require you to avoid taking a single hit but also filling dungeons with enemies that can just pop out and hit you with zero warning even if you're constantly sweeping around yourself with magic, and some really really really lovely boss design compared to Nayuta no Kiseki which borrows similar mechanics but handles level design and game balance much more gracefully, it is a pretty nice-looking game with a really fantastic translation, a great english dub and just a great cast, and the writing towards the end especially around Exmachina is pretty great.

I recently beat it myself, and yeah the ranking system got really annoying at times. At least for levels, there are a couple items you can get eventually that really help out, though you need to be at the end of the game for one of them and you'll need a good number of platinums already. Though even complaining about it I ended up liking how the ranking system got me to go through levels multiple times to learn them, except for a couple levels that I hate with the entirety of my soul.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I had no idea that was something that was added to the US version! I thought it was pretty neat, actually. I immediately thought of using the ocarina, but then again I played a lot of adventure games at the time.

Fun fact: IIRC, the demo version of Lunar allows you to transfer the ocarina from Alex's inventory. Save data can carry over to the full version of the game. Including that. So you can use the demo to create an unwinnable save.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm reading through those TCRF articles and Working Designs really seemed to be overstepping their bounds. Like not only did they change things in the translations greatly, they also flat out changed things in the gameplay? Outside of bugfixes and fixing other issues, that really seems unreasonable for a localization team to do. What was even the reasoning behind that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Fetus posted:

What was even the reasoning behind that?

They were idiots, plainly.

Endorph posted:

Working designs never made a good translation in their lives

Yes including that one

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm reading through those TCRF articles and Working Designs really seemed to be overstepping their bounds. Like not only did they change things in the translations greatly, they also flat out changed things in the gameplay? Outside of bugfixes and fixing other issues, that really seems unreasonable for a localization team to do. What was even the reasoning behind that?

How bad can they b-

quote:

On Exile 2 it was an issue of limited number of modifications because we weren't doing the game reprogramming, Telenet was. It was a small number of tries. And on the second-to last time, we had it *almost* right, so we added like +1 to the monsters, but it was like that scene with the fat guy in Meaning of Life where the waiter gives him that one wafer and he explodes. That +1 exceeded some limit internally and made the monsters exponentially harder rather than incrementally. Since it was our last "fix" and we had production discs, I thought we were screwed and had made an unwinnable game. Fortunately, with some time and special strategies, we found out you could finish it. We made one of the hardest games ever - by accident.

quote:

"Monster difficulties were also rebalanced, generally to make a few of the bosses easier to kill. However, bosses were also made more dangerous in that if they managed to hit Alundra, their blows were much more lethal. This lessened some of the boredom of the later bosses, where they really weren't much challenge to fight, but took forever to kill."

That doesn't sound so bad, except it's completely wrong. In reality, the vast majority of the enemies in the game – all of them, not just bosses – were made more difficult by increasing their HP and sometimes Attack.

quote:

Supposedly as a replacement for the missing voice acting, the US version adds optional voice-overs for the game's diary entries. While the manual claims this was done using disc space "reclaimed" from the dialogue voice-overs, all the Japanese lines that weren't dubbed are still present on the US disc unaltered.

Oh. These sound like swell guys.

I mean, going from the Alundra example, I don't think it's a bad idea to rebalance a game to fix obvious problems. It's just that, in practice, Working Designs have an unhealthy addiction to raising enemy stats for no reason. Some of their other general gameplay changes aren't bad either....but they're often accompanied by other completely baffling things that make you not notice the former.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

i wonder if it'll be better to play zero on pc or on a psp emulator, given that it's the only one with an easily accessible pc port

The lead editor for the fan patch has hinted on their twitter that work is being done on the pc version to make it as definitive as they can make it. It probably won't be Sara tier but it should be the way to play once that's out.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just wish that once WD opened the door for localizing classic sprite-based RPGs, some brave company would have stepped up and translated Popolocrois. Now we’re stuck with a game that’s too old for a real company to pick up, and too weirdly coded for anyone to make a fan translation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Getsuya posted:

I just wish that once WD opened the door for localizing classic sprite-based RPGs, some brave company would have stepped up and translated Popolocrois. Now we’re stuck with a game that’s too old for a real company to pick up, and too weirdly coded for anyone to make a fan translation.
We did get the recent Harvest Moon crossover in the West, weirdly. I guess maybe they figured it would sell based on that?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess this helps explain why Working Design's translations took longer than the actual games did to develop.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We did get the recent Harvest Moon crossover in the West, weirdly. I guess maybe they figured it would sell based on that?

I think that mainly came over because one of the localizers was a huge Popolocrois fanboy and was dying to translate one of them. It wasn’t a terribly good game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god no, their Vanguard Bandits one was trash. They added fart jokes to important scenes and mistranslated a bunch of combat dialogue.

You know. For the mecha that wields a sword. Ultragunner.

i like the voiced duel between faulkner and bastion

random enemy badguy upon dying: calgon, take me awaaaaaay

Dr. Fetus posted:

In the US version, Sirufa's dialogue has been rewritten. Now, her wind powers are due to a bet she lost with an unexplained "Thaldar," as a result of which she "received the curse of eternal seimic flatulence." This is then used to create a mechanic whereby, if Sirufa's teleportation is used without having all party members equipped with "Filtration Masks," the unequipped members will be "overcome by the noxious fumes" and remove the rest of the party's masks before dying, causing an instant game over.

Lynx's Tab
In the Japanese version, the player has to pay Lynx's 1,000g bar tab in order to recruit him. In the US version, this has been increased to a rather eyebrow-raising 20,000g.

MP Costs
In its most fundamental alteration to the game balance, the US version radically escalates the MP costs of every spell in the game. The average increase is 366%, with the lowest being Megablast (142%) and the highest Alakazam (1000%).

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really truly loved Eternal Blue Complete but everything I've learned about WD since then has convinced me not to replay it. I doubt it'd hold up to my memories.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

those games are still nice if you can stomach the repetitive battles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

In the US version, Sirufa's dialogue has been rewritten. Now, her wind powers are due to a bet she lost with an unexplained "Thaldar," as a result of which she "received the curse of eternal seimic flatulence." This is then used to create a mechanic whereby, if Sirufa's teleportation is used without having all party members equipped with "Filtration Masks," the unequipped members will be "overcome by the noxious fumes" and remove the rest of the party's masks before dying, causing an instant game over.

This is the most loving Working Designs thing I've ever read.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

GulagDolls posted:

those games are still nice if you can stomach the repetitive battles

Thankfully there's a Auto button so you don't even need to play them.

Lunar: SSSC was better than EB though and had a GREAT translation. Meryod.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ventana posted:

I mean, going from the Alundra example, I don't think it's a bad idea to rebalance a game to fix obvious problems. It's just that, in practice, Working Designs have an unhealthy addiction to raising enemy stats for no reason. Some of their other general gameplay changes aren't bad either....but they're often accompanied by other completely baffling things that make you not notice the former.

they made lots of neat little qol changes, like i'm not gonna complain about parallax scrolling, but like none of the games they rebalanced actually needed to be rebalanced to begin with. some maybe had an issue with being a bit too easy but it was always in ways relating to the core systems, stuff that's not gonna be fixed by giving enemies a bit of extra health. really the most insane thing about wd to me is their insistence on including notes about all their changes in their manuals, the way they're worded makes the changes go from weird to insulting and the fact that they needed to be included to begin with is insane, you wouldn't see any modern loc companies feel compelled to wax about their philosophy on accurate translation on the manual for their next big game because that's not something literally anybody needs to read. if i wanna hear about your philosophy on translation i want to hear it from someone answering actual questions about that stuff

some guy on the bus posted:

Thankfully there's a Auto button so you don't even need to play them.

Lunar: SSSC was better than EB though and had a GREAT translation. Meryod.

even if it was their best script ever, intentionally choosing not to translate hints for obtuse puzzles and forcing players to waste an inventory space for the entire game immediately pushes that crap to the poo poo list

especially when their stated reason for some of the changes they made with lunar was to gently caress over people who weren't using OFFICIAL LICENSED WORKING DESIGNS GAME GUIDES though that might've been for the sega cd one

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 12, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Were the reviews on the WD site written by a 3rd party? Because if not, reviewing your own games and giving all of them a perfect 11 (WDs slogan was ‘our games go to 11’) seems like a little overboard on the narcissism scale. Even if it was a 3rd party, if you’re hosting this guy’s reviews on your own site are you really expecting partiality?

I mostly just read the reviews of games they gave 0.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

:eyepop:

i had no idea what the original translation was, you cannot even begin to derive verethragna from ultragunner

i will say the thing i'm most disappointed in was how they changed the one mech's name to No 69 at the last minute. in the strategy guide, it's listed as No 86 and there's a screenshot of madoc shouting about how someday, they'll use the term eighty-six to denote utter destruction of your enemies

GulagDolls posted:

random enemy badguy upon dying: calgon, take me awaaaaaay

they never die, you only disable their ATACs. the only mech that kills the enemy combatant is the sharking
:goonsay:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 12, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

i will say the thing i'm most disappointed in was how they changed the one mech's name to No 69 at the last minute. in the strategy guide, it's listed as No 86 and there's a screenshot of madoc shouting about how someday, they'll use the term eighty-six to denote utter destruction of your enemies

quote:

Virtually ALL the humor in the game was added. Japanese humor tends to be very direct (and in my opinion) infantile. While we add some of that kind of humor, too, most of what we add is in the double entendre department. We also make the character development much more complex. The Square and Enix games are much closer to a direct translation that [sic] what we do.

this is for lunar but it might as well apply to all of them

i don't know why they'd change the mech's name like that cause tbh that one would have been subtle enough i think i would have let it slide

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 12, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

this is for lunar but it might as well apply to all of them

hohm my god

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol where does that dude get off calling anything "infantile"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GulagDolls posted:

hohm my god

i like that tcrf places it right under this quote from one of the people who worked on lunar

quote:

Q. What's your greatest concern when one of your games is translated for the U.S. market?

A. The dialog [sic]. The only English I know is the English I learned at school, so I cannot tell if the minor nuances come through or not. ... Even in Japanese, we are very sensitive about the wording we use; we rewrite many, many times. ... One word in a scenario can move people's hearts. ... Therefore, we need a translator who is a genius.

it's kind of a hilarious overstatement but it's also funny to see it contrasted with uh, that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Really Pants posted:

lol where does that dude get off calling anything "infantile"

i mean, a lot of it is, but...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

i mean, a lot of it is, but...

you don't really have the right to call it infantile after making a middle schooler in a video game based on a show for 12 year old girls scream about condoms

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm all about that infantile humor and innuendo but that's definitely still something you can do either quite well or real poorly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I want a Working Designs translation of Neptunia to see if the game turns out better or way better

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first Neptunia feels like a game WD, uh, designed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The first Neptunia feels like a game WD, uh, designed.

"Designed" is a strong word for Nep games.

Their translation should not change, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I want a Working Designs translation of Neptunia to see if the game turns out better or way better

sorry but all victor ireland does now is bad summon night localizations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O10fbFdmi0

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i like that tcrf places it right under this quote from one of the people who worked on lunar

it's kind of a hilarious overstatement but it's also funny to see it contrasted with uh, that

lol..thats awful. it makes it sounds like he had no idea what was being done to the script

the best part about working designs are their songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-31_RbBC9w

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never did get anything but the bad ending of Vanguard Bandits because I didn't want to play through the whole thing again.
The weirdest thing with that is there's like three different routes and only one cares about how much everyone likes you and that's the one that gives you a forced bad end if they don't.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 12, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Colonel posted:

sorry but all victor ireland does now is bad summon night localizations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O10fbFdmi0

I feel like you could copy this VA and paste it over an episode of Yugioh and it would take people a long time to figure out that you had changed anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Japanese humor is infantile. Unlike me, who made a game mechanic out of farts and labeled a section of the manual HOW TO SUCK DIECK

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yugioh is the most hot-blooded dub of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYQlqVUh3s&t=219s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel like you could copy this VA and paste it over an episode of Yugioh and it would take people a long time to figure out that you had changed anything

it's incredible to me cause people got really upset over the lunar: silver star harmony dub being different but like

xseed is so much better at dubbing games, and summon night 6 is literally just what victor ireland dubs have always been like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also if you want a jrpg with fart jokes, play shadow hearts 2

Those are some accurate to the original intent fart jokes