Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckbox posted:

I think it's about money. Hariri's company holds huge stakes in Saudi oil at a time when the kingdom is apparently strapped for cash. There's a massive Aramco ipo slated for next year and the Kingdom has lowered petro taxes in an apparent attempt to make it more enticing. I'm not a finance guy, so I wasn't following the ins and outs, but many of the people snared in the "corruption" probe were Saudi oil billionaires. Hariri's multi-billion-dollar business entanglements in Saudi make him dangerous to them, but also provide a lot of leverage over him.

My pet theory is MBS is trying to monopolize his hold over Saudi oil wealth (the real keys to the kingdom) and Hariri was a loose end that needed tying. So they brought him in, sidelined him, and blamed it on Hezballah and Iran. Because they blame everything on Iran.

like you'd want to say "lol watch MBS turn the house of Saud into a steppe kleptocracy" but let's be real the whole dynasty has put the loving Aliyevs to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

In more Turkey news: Ex-Trump aide Mike Flynn 'offered $15m by Turkey for Gulen'
That Russian probe thing is the best stupid political point ever in term of collateral damage.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Squalid posted:

This whole Hariri business has me really stumped. I'm not convinced Israel will do anything, and I'm convinced even the most incompetent Saudi strategist couldn't come up with a reason to attack Hezbollah militarily. Whether Hariri was forced or bribed into resigning, there has to be some kind of political strategy at play. What it is I can't figure out, possibly it makes no sense anyway.

Maybe the idea was to pressure Hariri into attacking Hezbollah with either his faction or the Lebanese Army? Kick off another civil war in Lebanon. Lebanese do the dying while the Saudi's, Israel and US provide weapons and airstrikes.

Trying to take down Hezbollah on the cheap maybe.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/wburema/status/929277376684584960

:chanpop:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I actually was in a situation once in which I was six feet away from him for a few seconds, he is as every bit as terrible a person and just a loving malevolent 'Presence' about him as he gives off on television. holy poo poo what a twat that guy was.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:psypop:
When will this morally decrepit gently caress keel over and die already

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tony Blair is probably a lich.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When I think "societies believing in tolerance", I think "birthplace of salafism", yes.

Raif Badawi blogged a good article on Saudi tolerance. Or at least, he would have, I'm sure.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Digging through the new OPCW reports on Sarin use in Syria turned up something interesting. They state the presence of one chemical, PF6, aka HFP, aka I'm not writing out it's full name, is a chemical marker linking it to Assad's stockpiles, and indicates a sophisticated, industrial, production process. Turns out HFP was also detected in samples from the August 21st 2013 Sarin attacks in Damascus. Russia and Syria both claimed homemade/kitchen Sarin was used (as did Seymour Hersh), but this shows they were lying. Russia also said the Sarin used on August 21st was the same type used in Khan al-Assal, so it looks more and more likely the Syrian government also were responsible for Khan al-Assal:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/men...-sarin-attacks/

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
Where in The World is Saad Hariri

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rigged Death Trap posted:

:psypop:
When will this morally decrepit gently caress keel over and die already

Seriously, he's making GWB appear sympathetic in comparison

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Wow. Not even an ounce of humanity can be observed from this war criminal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are Blair's war crimes anyway? I was a bit too young to remember him when he was PM.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hariri is now on TV saying that he's a free man in Riyadh and that he'll be returning to Lebanon in 2/3 days

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/929784451508391938

So what the gently caress was all this drama meant to accomplish exactly?!?!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Hariri is now on TV saying that he's a free man in Riyadh and that he'll be returning to Lebanon in 2/3 days

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/929784451508391938

So what the gently caress was all this drama meant to accomplish exactly?!?!
MBS going hurr durr don't you mess with me Lebanon/Hezbollah I mean business bruh

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

What are Blair's war crimes anyway? I was a bit too young to remember him when he was PM.

Did you forget when he decided to invade a country and kill hundreds of thousands of people without cause and the behalf of the british petroleum corporation

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Grouchio posted:

Invaded Iraq under false pretences basically. The consequences are still felt to this day, most notably the rise and fall of ISIS

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Loool holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/yasminwaqahwa/status/929818190955384832

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there was just an earthquake apparently

https://twitter.com/seismo_steve/status/929785771216834561

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He looks and acts like there is a guy with a rifle pointing at him offscreen

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He looks and acts like there is a guy with a rifle pointing at him offscreen

well.

judging from this, it seems likely.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Invaded Iraq under false pretences basically. The consequences are still felt to this day, most notably the rise and fall of ISIS

But he was innocent, he was just following God's orders.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has just kidnaped a foreign head of state and forced him to appear on TV and pretend nothing happened like some kind of Austin Powers skit. This is a thing now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not to go full Godwin here, but the whole kidnapping a head of state thing reminds me of Emil Hácha.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has just kidnaped a foreign head of state and forced him to appear on TV and pretend nothing happened like some kind of Austin Powers skit. This is a thing now.

I'm still leaning toward blackmail/extortion personally.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Monty Python makes a surprise return with a dramatic live action presentation of the Milkman sketch, starring Saad Hariri and the boys locked in that closet except theres gaddafi and mubarak and mossadeghs bones

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well.

I watched it twice to make sure his eyes weren't just trained on the interviewer - and sure enough he's looking to her right at the dude who appeared. It's hard to not see that he's in distress, regardless, even if the dude is just someone in the production crew.

e:

Throatwarbler posted:

And besides some French claims about sovereignty, I don't think any western powers have said fuckall. I wonder if this had to do with the Israeli embassies lobbying for KSA to have other nations look the other way. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/israel-instructs-diplomats-support-saudis-cable-171110134749905.html

Not that I'm surprised but I'm pretty disappointed in Europe/EU.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 13, 2017

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well.

His mannerisms remind me very much of Taliban/ISIS hostage statement videos.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Did you forget when he decided to invade a country and kill hundreds of thousands of people without cause and the behalf of the british petroleum corporation
I only ever heard what bullshit Bush was doing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Between Tony Blair's comments and The Atlantic publishing this article blaming Al-Qaeda on Iran, I'm starting to feel like the ramp up to war with Iran is happening faster and faster, and that our benevolent liberal foreign policy elite might actually be dumb and malevolent enough to start another war to try to keep from losing too much more influence to them

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/11/al-qaeda-iran-cia/545576/

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I only ever heard what bullshit Bush was doing.

It was a Bush - Blair team. Although the USA did most of the heavy lifting in the war, Britain made a sizable contribution. The US also used Britain to make the international case for war. The US could pretend it had a coalition.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

icantfindaname posted:

Between Tony Blair's comments and The Atlantic publishing this article blaming Al-Qaeda on Iran, I'm starting to feel like the ramp up to war with Iran is happening faster and faster, and that our benevolent liberal foreign policy elite might actually be dumb and malevolent enough to start another war to try to keep from losing too much more influence to them

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/11/al-qaeda-iran-cia/545576/

Seems a bunch like Saudi Arabia is going to rule a substantially larger chunk of the middle east p. soon from the Harari thing. I feel like it's all going to be carved up again

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Seems a bunch like Saudi Arabia is going to rule a substantially larger chunk of the middle east p. soon from the Harari thing. I feel like it's all going to be carved up again

They can’t take Yemen, their proxies lost in Iraq and Syria, and you think they will be more effective than the IDF against Lebanon and Hezbollah?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

It was a Bush - Blair team. Although the USA did most of the heavy lifting in the war, Britain made a sizable contribution. The US also used Britain to make the international case for war. The US could pretend it had a coalition.

... you forgot poland

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Atlantic has been pretty hawkish on Iran on most pieces I've read there. Maybe that's just Jeff Goldberg.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
David Frum is also a senior editor there. We have him to thank for the 'Axis of Evil' speech.

It seems like this whole stupid thing is going to end with US airstrikes on Iran.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I think the opposite may be happening. This newfound aggressiveness is really just desperation. Oil's been cheap for a while and it's running out. There's plans in the works to turn assets liquid, like privatizing Aramco and "Vision 2030". There's a lot of unemployed young men. The real world is seeping in on the Wahhabist oil utopia, and time is running out. They want to take on Iran now before they're too weak to be able to.

Of course, it could just be random flailings of Mohammed "Top Gun" bin Salman, but probably not since he hasn't been assassinated yet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The problem is that Saudi Foreign Policy was essentially spent killing every arab countries chances of advancing past fascism and into more representative countries for fear of their own supremacy in the region. they helped kill off and undermine every attempt Arabs had at paving a new future for themselves be it from the left or from the conservative non-salafist islamists, and now they're surprised that the dead corpses they've chained arent much help to them in the face of an actually intelligent rival in the region like Iran.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

David Frum is also a senior editor there. We have him to thank for the 'Axis of Evil' speech.

It seems like this whole stupid thing is going to end with US airstrikes on Iran.

I think that is the hope by some parts of the establishment, but at the same time, I think there is a quiet fear that it is already too late and the Iranians air defenses may be too strong to ignore. This is the reason the Saudis are going to Yemen/Qatar and are now trying to bully Lebanon.

As for the Saudis and oil, I think the problem is they realize that oil isn't going to be enough to beat the Iranians since Iranian exports have been steadily climbing while Iran overall has a more diversified economy. The Aramco sale was supposed to a be a way to jump-start diversification by was largely based on a valuation that was mostly fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think the opposite may be happening. This newfound aggressiveness is really just desperation. Oil's been cheap for a while and it's running out. There's plans in the works to turn assets liquid, like privatizing Aramco and "Vision 2030". There's a lot of unemployed young men. The real world is seeping in on the Wahhabist oil utopia, and time is running out. They want to take on Iran now before they're too weak to be able to.

Of course, it could just be random flailings of Mohammed "Top Gun" bin Salman, but probably not since he hasn't been assassinated yet.

I agree the window is rapidly closing, but that's what makes the situation dangerous.

It's not very likely, but given the state of the world I have had a bad feeling that something like a quadruple whammy of a new Israeli invasion of Lebanon, Turkish invasion of Syrian Kurdistan, KSA doing more incomprehensible and ineffective flailing at its enemies, and US airstrikes on Iran all happening at the same time is much more likely than it should be