Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

Do you BLMs not realize manaward exists and is extremely good for tanking single aoes

I'm glad they thought Manawall was too good in 2.x because it let you ignore knockbacks and physical damage so they proceeded to nerf that into the ground before taking Surecast (literally the worst spell in the game) away from Black Mages and making it a cross class spell and then basically giving it the knockback reduction from Manawall but on an ultra low cooldown.

Really good.

Edit: The actual issue with Black Mage as well is that it's a class that offers literal negative utility because of how loving selfish the class is, classes like Bard, Machinist, Ninja, Summoner, Dragoon all boost the party's damage, Monk at has the good grace to not get in anyone's way. Whereas as Black Mage I'm sitting there like a loving shithead going "I'm not moving for this, I'm not moving for that, you lot do this gimmick, yeah, put yourself out, go gently caress yourself, for me."

Of course this would be okay if you're dealing such stupid levels of damage people are just gawping at you, but then you're actually getting outdpsed by a Summoner on every conceivable level so yeah.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Never not MCH LB3 when it isn't needed specifically for something.

Got booted from the zone halfway through the screenshotting, and before I could get a gif recorded, though. I also learned a valuable lesson: Leaving the housing zone via ferry skipper clears your "last spell animation used" tag.

And here I was trying to be considerate by not doing artillery weapons testing in a residential area. I mean, the last time I did it, the Maelstrom got all pissy and made me have to fill in the divots that were behind, I highly doubt the Hingans would have been more enthused. And they wouldn't even let me use shaped charges to speed the job along, either.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 12, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Never not MCH LB3 when it isn't needed specifically for something.

Why I love getting Ifrit hard in trial roulette. Great place to snipe the lb3 from everyone else.

Cause it's you and me and all of the targets with no place to run, no place to hide

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress, I just noticed I didn't say what I was getting scrip with.

Illuminati Perch. I was getting Illuminati Perch, and if your FSH is too high a level, it is no bueno because of diminishing returns.

I'm not sure exactly when the diminishing returns kick in, but I'm a level 65 fisher. My spot of choice for gathering scrips is Mok Oogl Island, because that has Vampiric Tapestries and Moogle Spirits which are worth the same base 12 scrips as Illuminati Perch. You have to fish with Giant Crane Flies, that can only be acquired via scrips (one blue scrip per bait), but the catch rate on the fish that are collectables is high enough that you'll still be making a profit on scrips. Especially if you use Patience when it's available.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I'm playing this game for the first time and enjoying it, but my main class is almost level 30 and I feel like I still have no idea how almost any system but basic combat works. I think I bought equipment fir the first time in my early 20s but have otherwise just been using gear from quests and dungeons. Am I gimping myself by not caring more about gear? Are there other systems/mechanics i've neglected that I shouldn't have?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Nonexistence posted:

I'm playing this game for the first time and enjoying it, but my main class is almost level 30 and I feel like I still have no idea how almost any system but basic combat works. I think I bought equipment fir the first time in my early 20s but have otherwise just been using gear from quests and dungeons. Am I gimping myself by not caring more about gear? Are there other systems/mechanics i've neglected that I shouldn't have?

For now, the only item you should really be concerned about is your weapon. If the rest of your stuff falls behind a bit, no big deal, but Weapon Damage is the single biggest contributor to anything you do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chucat posted:

I'm glad they thought Manawall was too good in 2.x because it let you ignore knockbacks and physical damage so they proceeded to nerf that into the ground before taking Surecast (literally the worst spell in the game) away from Black Mages and making it a cross class spell and then basically giving it the knockback reduction from Manawall but on an ultra low cooldown.

Really good.

Edit: The actual issue with Black Mage as well is that it's a class that offers literal negative utility because of how loving selfish the class is, classes like Bard, Machinist, Ninja, Summoner, Dragoon all boost the party's damage, Monk at has the good grace to not get in anyone's way. Whereas as Black Mage I'm sitting there like a loving shithead going "I'm not moving for this, I'm not moving for that, you lot do this gimmick, yeah, put yourself out, go gently caress yourself, for me."

Of course this would be okay if you're dealing such stupid levels of damage people are just gawping at you, but then you're actually getting outdpsed by a Summoner on every conceivable level so yeah.

Sure cast was always cross class though?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure cast was always cross class though?

No, it was a Thaumaturge ability that other classes could cross class, now it's just a generic cross class ability.

See: All those White Mage abilities that got caught with the same thing.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The group discord invite is expired/invalid, how do I get a new one ?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Nonexistence posted:

For your first class, questing alone should provide you enough gear, the MSQ practically shoves equipment at you and several side quests also offer gear. For classes you level after your first, you will likely need other sources of equipment, such as dungeon drops and vendors.
Also, make sure you do all your class and job quests, they're super important.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Since someone else brought up caster role actions, I'm going to give my outrageous opinion here.

I wish Protect wasn't a role action, but a -10% damage taken oGCD ability for WHMs or something. Meanwhile, make Ruin 2 a role action (for healers and casters) and stop sucking up to SCHs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best minions you can get are the ones where you come in for the final boss and then win by 1 point ;3

http://puu.sh/ykzAC/e94a61dd9d.webm

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The best minions you can get are the ones where you come in for the final boss and then win by 1 point ;3

You monster. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

You monster. :negative:

You want to know the worse one?

I got the Predator Magitek Armor Mount by joining at the very last boss as a DPS.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Did you win it from an FC mate?

('cos I beat Ibblebibble by one point)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did you win it from an FC mate?

('cos I beat Ibblebibble by one point)

Oh okay you actually are a monster.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ruta posted:

Since someone else brought up caster role actions, I'm going to give my outrageous opinion here.

I wish Protect wasn't a role action, but a -10% damage taken oGCD ability for WHMs or something. Meanwhile, make Ruin 2 a role action (for healers and casters) and stop sucking up to SCHs.

Protect as a role action is extremely dumb, I agree.

TBH I don't like role actions in general. At least with cross-class actions you didn't have to swap them depending on what content you were doing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The fact that you can just switch them leads one to wonder why they make you choose at all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Oh okay you actually are a monster.

I know, it's extremely beautiful.

vOv posted:

Protect as a role action is extremely dumb, I agree.

TBH I don't like role actions in general. At least with cross-class actions you didn't have to swap them depending on what content you were doing.

There's really zero excuse to not have the benefits of Protect baked into all characters at this point.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

The group discord invite is expired/invalid, how do I get a new one ?

https://discord.gg/XSXCzEQ

I assume you mean the main goon one? This should work.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yoship wants to get rid of Protect anyway right? Wonder why they haven't just done it, i woulden't miss it no matter what role i'm playing.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

The fact that you can just switch them leads one to wonder why they make you choose at all

I think it's because from a design standpoint they want players to have to choose what skills they run based off of what content they're running. I'm not sure how well this works in practice because I haven't used anything other than the same 5 role skills for tank. I think healing had the most variety in terms of what skills you take but it seemed like mostly just "do I need to take x for this fight?" In terms of selection

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yoship wants to get rid of Protect anyway right? Wonder why they haven't just done it, i woulden't miss it no matter what role i'm playing.

He wanted protect in because it was a base final fantasy skill. They should've just removed it and renamed benison to protect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I recall him saying some of it is that people expect it nowadays regardless of how little impact it has on the content they're doing.

It'll make a difference in Ultimate, probably, and Savage too perhaps. You don't need it elsewise.

Protect working like Divine Benison or its PVP version would be the best solution to it without removing it entirely.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MechaCrash posted:

I'm not sure exactly when the diminishing returns kick in, but I'm a level 65 fisher. My spot of choice for gathering scrips is Mok Oogl Island, because that has Vampiric Tapestries and Moogle Spirits which are worth the same base 12 scrips as Illuminati Perch. You have to fish with Giant Crane Flies, that can only be acquired via scrips (one blue scrip per bait), but the catch rate on the fish that are collectables is high enough that you'll still be making a profit on scrips. Especially if you use Patience when it's available.

I can't say whether or not that's a better thing to do, since they rejiggered the tables for HW post-blue scrip removal. I believe Moogle Spirits were worth a lot more red scrip than vampiric tapestries at the time, with the differentiator being that vampiric tapestries were available as a turn-in almost every day, but moogle spirits not.

Either way, whatever you can catch or gather easily so you can turn in a whole inventory full, then cash out to blue scrip tokens for your crystal sand.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My gatherers are like level 56 :smith:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How are servers tonight? planning on spending some time , last night was disaster for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Xun posted:

My gatherers are like level 56 :smith:

I got mining from 48 up to 52.5 today. :toot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How are servers tonight? planning on spending some time , last night was disaster for me.

Honestly, it varies. I was playing earlier in the morning and there were still fairly regular lag spikes.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Agraya posted:

https://discord.gg/XSXCzEQ

I assume you mean the main goon one? This should work.

I'm already on the main one, is there a specific discord for FF ?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'm already on the main one, is there a specific discord for FF ?

This link goes to the specific FF one

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

I recall him saying some of it is that people expect it nowadays regardless of how little impact it has on the content they're doing.

It'll make a difference in Ultimate, probably, and Savage too perhaps. You don't need it elsewise.

Protect working like Divine Benison or its PVP version would be the best solution to it without removing it entirely.

You need it to make the tank start moving in roulettes.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Leofish posted:

You need it to make the tank start moving in roulettes.

I just say the Pope says I can't use protection. Either people laugh and go on, or they have a meltdown.

Usually the meltdown ones don't use any cool downs and massive pull, then blame it on the lack of Protect.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rather than free mitigation so I can dps harder I don't take it so I can take other great options like umm...break.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/EorzeanModel/status/929872864270016512

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I still need to collect minions.

That said, I DID win the Magitek Predator mount with a 14 Need roll. :dance:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Do you guys not use a macro to slot protect, cast it, then switch back to swiftcast or whatever? It's one button.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SWOLE GOBLINS made it past ED at last, even with the server lag making Black Holes jump miles at a time.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I used a macro for Protect until it screwed up and then I didn't have swiftcast.

Really, "use a macro" isn't a good defence. The spell is lovely and it should be removed from the game or be made less lovely. It's bad enough that I have to play magical chairs with esuna/surecast/rescue because they're so situational. I don't want to screw around with Protect because everyone wants the placebo buff because "but it's been there since ff11!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

ruta posted:

I used a macro for Protect until it screwed up and then I didn't have swiftcast.

Really, "use a macro" isn't a good defence. The spell is lovely and it should be removed from the game or be made less lovely. It's bad enough that I have to play magical chairs with esuna/surecast/rescue because they're so situational. I don't want to screw around with Protect because everyone wants the placebo buff because "but it's been there since ff11!"

But it looks really cool