Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I dunno man some people need to be loving real. It seems like so much logic for some Tennessee fans is:

- Recruits commit to the school, not the man they want to mentor and teach them.
- Because Tennessee is bad, that's why they've been decommitting. This has absolutely nothing to do with everything everywhere saying that Butch's days are numbered (obviously they were)
- If John Currie just hurries up and fires the bad coach, it'll stem the bleeding

Now everyone is shocked that the kids that Butch developed a relationship with, and who decided they wanted to play for him, are opening up their options now that who knows if we'll be playing the triple option or air raid next year.

PS - Seems like Butch would be doing right by those kids to let them know that he's leaving, and to tell them to look at their options.

E: This is not a defense of Butch Jones. He was a terrible coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What does it benefit Butch to tell the kid to look elsewhere except out of spite? As far as we know he doesn’t have a job elsewhere like Kiffin did when he was telling kids to transfer to USC.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

maxallen posted:

I dunno man some people need to be loving real.

So you are saying it is ok for a fired coach to contact recruits tell them to commit somewhere else? I know a lot of recruits commit to a coach not a school. I am ok with that, and any recruit that wants to decommit since Jones was fired it is understandable. That said Butch has been paid handsomely (overpaid) by the university and will be collecting a check for awhile from it. So to have to contacted a committed recruit to tell him to "..to find a place to go, quickly …" is pretty classless. That said this is a high school kid saying this, and no one knows all the facts (timing or who contacted who). So sure it might be a misunderstanding.

That said I believe Jones is one classes prick for other reasons. VFL coordinator Antone Davis calling Jones the worst person he ever worked with, the Daniel Helm story, the lies (there was no fight, he tripped over his helmet, despite some of the press seeing it), and all the top recruits that quit (something like over 50 players from his classes have left, no wonder depth is an issue). What other team had their top running back quit in the middle of the season? Or their top recruited wide receiver quit in the middle of the same season?

Let's not get into how Jones told one of his players 'they betrayed the team' by reporting a sexual assault. No matter if Johnson was innocent or not, that one conversation was damning. Everyone knows there was something rotten at the center of Tennessee football. I hope it was Butch Jones, and not something else.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Where did it say Butch told him to commit somewhere else? If the kid asked "well where should I go now", I'd think "find a place to go, quickly" is a pretty good answer with early signing coming up fast and the kid needing somewhere he will be utilized to be a good answer. I dunno, I just took it as "Butch calling up the kids that he had recruited to tell them directly he wasn't going to be there next year", which seems like exactly what he should be doing as a person.

I'm not talking about the other stuff, and really my point wasn't whether Butch was doing right or not, its more just I'm irritated at the surprise I'm reading in articles like this one where the sub-title is "Even without Butch Jones as head coach, the Vols are still losing recruits." Of course we're going to lose recruits until we get our house in order, this was expected.

E: What is the Daniel Helm story? Also I hadn't heard about hit hitting players until today.

maxallen fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 13, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For curiosity sake here is what the termination letter looked like.

https://twitter.com/mrknowsitvol/status/929848147018428416

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d love a $195k check each month to do nothing.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

nate fisher posted:

For curiosity sake here is what the termination letter looked like.

https://twitter.com/mrknowsitvol/status/929848147018428416

"You're fired."
"Please get a job."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s paid the buyout regardless of his employment status right?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Joey Freshwater posted:

He’s paid the buyout regardless of his employment status right?

If he gets another job, I believe that salary is taken out of the buyout, and as the letter notes he's supposed to at least try to get another job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah usually the next salary will get subtracted from the buyout.

Butch should go to *looks at MAC standings* uhh, bowling green

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

no

pls no

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MourningView posted:

Chad Morris to UF, Butch Jones to SMU.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s going to be Gruden. It’s going to be awesome.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not gonna be Gruden dude...

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It’s going to be Gruden. It’s going to be awesome when he fails too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Besides the fact that Gruden would be a loving horrible college coach, Tennessee fans will still be pining for his 'youth' when he's 70.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know that it’s a fact that he would be. Odds are that he would be but he could be the best college coach of all time for all we know. I’m not willing to take the chance, though. Which is good because he ain’t gonna be the guy

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I believe. You’ll all see.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don’t know that it’s a fact that he would be. Odds are that he would be but he could be the best college coach of all time for all we know. I’m not willing to take the chance, though. Which is good because he ain’t gonna be the guy

Dude was famously impatient with young players and had a famously complex playbook.

Both of these things sound incompatible with being an effective leader of 18yo headcases with bad technique and huge egos. :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve said as much previously in this very thread. I’m also just saying he could be the best coach ever but I’d rather not find out.

I’m a Bucs fan, I know exactly how well he does developing talent and working with younger guys. Maybe that’s changed or his coordinators would be good enough to do it. Again, would rather not find out.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

its gonna be venables or maybe mullen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How about Matt Millen?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Schiano in Knoxville?

I hear he was looking at real estate and bass boats.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It's Ron Zook

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I don't see why Butch wouldn't be fine at a G5 school. He did decent enough at Cincy and Central Michigan, he would probably be sufficient for say a Ball State or Kent State or other similar G5 school in a midwest hellscape town.

Edit: Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel? Seems like he did fine, but not so stellar that I would hand him the keys to a top-20 job.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 13, 2017

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s not gonna be Gruden dude...

Ah yes, his deep ties to Tennessee as... *checks*... a graduate assistant for one year.

It’s been mentioned ad infinitum in this thread, but r/ockytop and the mental defectives that inhabit it are foaming at the mouth for Gruden. I’m unwilling to run the risk of hiring him. Outside of my Les Miles at Tennessee fantasy it really is a crapshoot. Maybe Currie will prove to be worth a drat and make a home run hire though. I’m down for Dan Mullen. I’ve also seen mention of Jim Bob Cooter and Tee Martin but I’m inclined to believe they’re set at their current positions.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

I don't see why Butch wouldn't be fine at a G5 school. He did decent enough at Cincy and Central Michigan, he would probably be sufficient for say a Ball State or Kent State or other similar G5 school in a midwest hellscape town.

Edit: Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel? Seems like he did fine, but not so stellar that I would hand him the keys to a top-20 job.

The concern I would have was that prior to UT he was always following Brian Kelly and kind of coasting off what Kelly had built, but I think he’s a good enough recruiter that he could genuinely do a good job at a MAC job just on the strength of that. I was only sort of kidding about the bowling green thing

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Ah yes, his deep ties to Tennessee as... *checks*... a graduate assistant for one year.

It’s been mentioned ad infinitum in this thread, but r/ockytop and the mental defectives that inhabit it are foaming at the mouth for Gruden. I’m unwilling to run the risk of hiring him. Outside of my Les Miles at Tennessee fantasy it really is a crapshoot. Maybe Currie will prove to be worth a drat and make a home run hire though. I’m down for Dan Mullen. I’ve also seen mention of Jim Bob Cooter and Tee Martin but I’m inclined to believe they’re set at their current positions.

Head coach at a big P5 job would be a definite step up for Cooter and Martin, I think they’d probably take it. Their stock has cooled quite a bit this year though.

I don’t get why you’d want Miles unless you can talk him into hiring a really good OC who is going to do something way different than Miles has done in the past. That doesn’t really seem like a change from Jones at all

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 13, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jim Bob Cooter is the man that Tennessee deserves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
America needs -- nay, it demands -- to see Jim Bob Cooter coaching an SEC school

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

did i call this poo poo or what

https://twitter.com/SECCountryUF/status/929918289173778432

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*bangs tiny fists on table* Tee Martin!

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

Head coach at a big P5 job would be a definite step up for Cooter and Martin, I think they’d probably take it. Their stock has cooled quite a bit this year though.

I don’t get why you’d want Miles unless you can talk him into hiring a really good OC who is going to do something way different than Miles has done in the past. That doesn’t really seem like a change from Jones at all

Miles is pure fantasy really. He’s as stubborn as Jones from all accounts. I thought Jim Bob Cooter was waiting on a spot as a NFL HC? As far as Martin goes it seems like his gig at USC is going well. Also, I don’t know how we hosed up not being able to recruit his son who played high school ball in Knoxville. It’d be great to see some former Vols coaching here in some capacity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I thought Jim Bob Cooter was waiting on a spot as a NFL HC?

There was some super premature thought that he might be doing that before this year, at least super premature in my opinion. He's been an offensive coordinator for all of a season and change coming into this year.

Like MV noted though the shine has come off some this year, the Lions offense isn't doing what it should be so far this year. If UT wants him I think they could get him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Alaois posted:

*bangs tiny fists on table* Tee Martin!

gently caress you, you cant have him :argh:

We need him to churning out top tier WRs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

gently caress you, you cant have him :argh:

We need him to churning out top tier WRs

i'm not even a tennessee fan i just think it would be funny

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gruden at Tennessee would be great because of the drama.

I think that Gruden is a charismatic guy and if he wanted to recruit could recruit well. And I think he'd be great at yelling at his players before after and during the games. If he assumes a position where his co-ordinators run and chose the schemes while he's just the quality control/motivation guy then that's fine.

My worry is he misses going in there and organising the offence completely and he might have a temptation to bring back his super fiddly pro-offence that his simultaneously 20 years old and also ridiculously over complicated for College that can often get by on just Formation - Play.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Martin is a good recruiter but I think he’s been a pretty meh coordinator so far. But of course he’d take the job, that’s a massive step up from a coordinator gig.

Grittybeard posted:

There was some super premature thought that he might be doing that before this year, at least super premature in my opinion. He's been an offensive coordinator for all of a season and change coming into this year.

Like MV noted though the shine has come off some this year, the Lions offense isn't doing what it should be so far this year. If UT wants him I think they could get him.

Yeah I really liked him last year and he’s done a great job as QB coach but it’s been pretty bad this year. Their oline is kind of a tire fire though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hire Kelly, get Helfrich as OC, go to town :getin:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Professionally that’s the only tie he has but to be fair his wife was a cheerleader at UT which is where they met and his kid attends the school now so it goes a little deeper than that. He’s been pretty outspoken in the past about being a Tennessee “fan”.

That said even though I think they’re all crazy I haven’t really seen anyone at r/ockytop say they want him because of his ties to UT and it’s not like that’s a prerequisite for coaching. It helps but if it was we’d end up with Jim Bob or....I guess like Todd Helton or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

an adult beverage posted:

He was playing several schools against each other, like he was the 2012's PJ Fleck......I never understood it. Burke's pursuit of him at Purdue, which only made Tennessee pay him more, lead us to end up giving Dollar Bill Darell all the money.

• Locked thread