Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

If you want better gear then drop in hotter zones. Plain and simple. If you're going to drop in a small town or apartments then accept the fact that there's a chance you'll get crap gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

always be closing posted:

Some semi auto sniper or m16 and a micro uzi is how I like to play.

:same:

A decked out uzi is powerful as gently caress in close quarters and will demolish anyone.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the only thing faster is a shotgun to the face

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Then it wouldn't be random. Random doesn't mean "fair."

I don't have an issue with PUBG's loot, but why care if something would or wouldn't be random? It's how you use the pseudo-random generator that matters. You don't usually design a typical game around "true randomness".

Most people who define "randomness" in algorithms need a set of properties that make a mean reversion to the statistically probable sooner rather than later, so saying that random doesn't mean fair can be pretty wrong depending on the sample pool. If you make a PRNG that fails a crunch test and say "well random is random so it can also look not random" people still aren't gonna use it.

Also, loot in this game already isn't entirely random either way. There are places with better loot than others. If you know a good route you'll have more than "fair" loot every single time.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So it seems that the main way for me to improve at pubg is ... get better at FPSs. I do great choosing where to go and when. I get in good spots with decent gear.

But usually my first mid- or late-game firefight, i die because I'm not good at the shooty bits. I guess practice makes perfect...

I've got a friend who's got a lot of years of CounterStrike behind him and it shows. The other day he jumped out of a window and got a headshot with a shotgun in midair. Guy just knows how to aim.

Still not as cool as rolling up to someone at full speed in a buggy and switching to the backseat and shooting them while they ran away to dodge the vehicle.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Star Man posted:

I've got a friend who's got a lot of years of CounterStrike behind him and it shows. The other day he jumped out of a window and got a headshot with a shotgun in midair. Guy just knows how to aim.

That's awesome. I want like, 1/10th of that.
But first, i gotta die.
A lot.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pathos posted:

I might take a break from this game until they fix some of the more absurd cheats. I mean, honestly, does their server code do anything other than “oh gee you sent me a packet? Thanks! I’m sure this is all okay!” See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTg5TcRnqOs

That video needs some springy sound effects (and higher resolution).

Just starting to get into this game. What are people's feelings on FPP vs regular?

I kind of like FPP since I feel my previous FPS skills translate better, and 3pp feels like cheating sometimes. For example my first chicken dinner the other night, took a ghillie suit of some brave care package looter's corpse. When you're prone, in grass, in the middle of a shrinking circle, it's pretty easy to just alt-swivel the camera around and pick out what's moving. No one even saw me crawl in there. Looking around corners by running up and alt-looking is a huge advantage, too.

FPP is way more claustrophobic in inside firefights.

That said, I haven't been this scared by a game ever, including loving Dead Space.

There's never any waiting time for games on the EU servers for either mode, normal or FPP.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Being able to range find instinctively really helps. I found keeping these around until I was able to instinctively range find really helped my mid to late game. Don't really concern yourself with long range shots and just learn how to recognize the difference between 100, 200 and 300 yds.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

So it seems that the main way for me to improve at pubg is ... get better at FPSs. I do great choosing where to go and when. I get in good spots with decent gear.

But usually my first mid- or late-game firefight, i die because I'm not good at the shooty bits. I guess practice makes perfect...

I'd say the best way to learn is to hot drop in to the school / other densely packed place, and get used to frantically killing. That way you're dying fast, restarting fast and learning fast, not waiting 15 minutes in terror in some shed. Actively seek combat and eventually the nerves go away a bit.

Remember that they are just as scared of you as you are of them.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Communist Q posted:

Being able to range find instinctively really helps. I found keeping these around until I was able to instinctively range find really helped my mid to late game. Don't really concern yourself with long range shots and just learn how to recognize the difference between 100, 200 and 300 yds.

Yeah, range finding is really good to use. Though it's difficult with acog on moving targets or range finding buildings or other landmarks.

The range finder on the VSS scope is really fun to use and I think a lot easier. I was testing it out the other day on a bunch of targets at various distances and it's really accurate in-game. It's also fun to watch the bullet fly through the air and drop to the target.

You can easily range find a person, a building, a car, a tree, a window or anything with this.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 12, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Goffer posted:

I'd say the best way to learn is to hot drop in to the school / other densely packed place, and get used to frantically killing. That way you're dying fast, restarting fast and learning fast, not waiting 15 minutes in terror in some shed. Actively seek combat and eventually the nerves go away a bit.

Remember that they are just as scared of you as you are of them.

It's not the nerves, really. I get worse nerves waiting in that shed than i do hot dropping into the military base or the school or the prison.
It's the aiming part. I'm an average shot in real life, and the literal worst shot in-game.

Also ty for all the rangefinding tips. Those help tremendously. Maybe they should have a place in the OP?

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Also playing CSGO deathmatch will help a lot.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

OatBoy posted:

Also playing CSGO deathmatch will help a lot.

Yeah, good advice, I was about to mention this - I’m really bad at PUBG but used to be pretty good at CS. Im taking a break from this and getting reaction time back playing CS:GO again so it’s more enjoyable when I can actually do something again in PUBG.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

revolther posted:

Random should mean random though. There's probably like 80ish items that can realistically spawn, 40ish in the useful realms of weapon ammo armor backpacks.

Finding an entire 3 sorry building, that's 6 apartments, probably 24 spawn locations, all spawning the same pistol or level 1 armor is probably a bug in the rng though.

Exactly this. It's a pretty frequent occurrence that if you find one 8x scope you'll find another one nearby. I've found 3 in a single house quite a few times. That should be staggeringly rare. You could of course say "but how do you know that's not just random!?!" or "are you sure it's not confirmation bias?" but, everything else in this game is janky as gently caress, you really think they've set the RNG up right when they can't get anything else right?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Loot seeding is definitely weird and sometimes odd, but at the end of the day if everyone is subject to it, who really cares.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How do y'all deal with towns? Hanging out on the periphery ambushing people is extremely boring but reasonably effective. Can working your way into the center work or is that just asking to be instantly murdered by campers

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Personally, I don't enter towns after the initial looting phase unless the circle forces me to, or depending on the individual circumstances I'll go to kill someone I heard shooting, but I don't go to loot, and I don't enter houses unless I know for certain someone is inside. I don't hang out ambushing people either. There's plenty of people to ambush without ambushing people in cities.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

sum posted:

How do y'all deal with towns? Hanging out on the periphery ambushing people is extremely boring but reasonably effective. Can working your way into the center work or is that just asking to be instantly murdered by campers

My squad sets up around the perimeter, and I charge through the center of town in a vehicle until people shoot at me. Then I ride away cackling as my teammates wreck them.

Hope this helps.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sum posted:

Moving while crouched reduces your noise profile significantly. Just stay low and in all likelihood you'll hear them before they hear you. At that point it's just a matter of hunting.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Communist Q posted:

The 4x marks arent range accurate

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

If you want better gear then drop in hotter zones. Plain and simple. If you're going to drop in a small town or apartments then accept the fact that there's a chance you'll get crap gear.

I drop at hot zones 9 times out of 10. And the occurrence of awful loot has happened enough for me to realise how dumb the system can be. Dropping at school or military and having the first 30 seconds of the game throw nothing but vests, helmets and backpacks at you basically makes you dead for that run.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The loot at School isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Yeah, every time I win school, I'm disappointed with what I walk away with. Usually not much for meds, usually no 4x, the amount of .556 is hit or miss, especially if a lot of it gets used by everyone fighting or the "rng" spits out akms everywhere. I usually end up with either a lvl 1 helmet or vest, or a damaged lvl 2, and then you have to foot it out through open fields, if the buggy that usually spawns on the apartments side has already been taken or didnt spawn. I have the most fun at the start dropping there, but it's not good for winning the match.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
School is really bad and is basically just a fight club at this point. That compound east of rozhok at the bridge is probably better.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

lohli posted:

My favourite doc clip is the one where he potatoes almost every shot at very close range with an AKM against a guy who is strafing side to side a bit and he starts screaming about how lovely a game it is and says the guy was rubberbanding allover the place.

The best part about the doc's gimmick is that it allows him to rage in situations where he just blew a kill. Half the time he'll run a clip and realize he wasnt wearing a helmet or something else stupid, but most times he flips out, it's because the game is a dumpster full of other smaller dumpsters all on fire.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sometimes you have a game where everything goes right and your team isn't awful and then you win by getting a double kill with a grenade to end the game. ~feels good man~

revolther
May 27, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

School is really bad and is basically just a fight club at this point. That compound east of rozhok at the bridge is probably better.
School and the nearby apartments both seem to have been tweaked, it's a shame those apartments are great for all kinds of shootouts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

revolther posted:

School and the nearby apartments both seem to have been tweaked, it's a shame those apartments are great for all kinds of shootouts.

I personally hate apartments, it's the least fun place to fight in, cause almost everyone I've ever hunted down / come across in apartments is either camping underneath stairs, or sitting in a room. people are so scared to fight / die in this game, so they use cheese tactics which almost entirely consists of sitting in a room and camping for 10 minutes. it makes engaging them a pain in the rear end, unless I know exactly which room they're in.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

The best part about the doc's gimmick is that it allows him to rage in situations where he just blew a kill. Half the time he'll run a clip and realize he wasnt wearing a helmet or something else stupid, but most times he flips out, it's because the game is a dumpster full of other smaller dumpsters all on fire.

The best part of a 'gimmick' is when you can rage out like a monkey and be like haha its just a joke guys

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dear goons: Stop calling your idiot teammates over to their death over useless attachments.

https://youtu.be/hFfpwVkBTBU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

School and the military base is for little kids and idiots IMO

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Real men drop in forests and hide on hillsides

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Rex-Goliath posted:

Moving while crouched reduces your noise profile significantly. Just stay low and in all likelihood you'll hear them before they hear you. At that point it's just a matter of hunting.

Holding rmb aim while crouch walking makes you practically silent (especially with no shoes) and I've caught many a guy out by creeping up the stairs like so while they stare out the windows ignoring/not noticing the slow, ridiculously soft footfalls

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Real men drop in forests and hide on hillsides

the pro strat is to find a machete in a little shack and stay there until the zone kills you

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1462969633594470781

Patch notes up for tonight

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

It was like that when I found it! I promise!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It was like that when I found it! I promise!

I saw some pants like that and was kinda salty when i put them on and they weren't painted.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

IPA Regulations posted:

Holding rmb aim while crouch walking makes you practically silent (especially with no shoes) and I've caught many a guy out by creeping up the stairs like so while they stare out the windows ignoring/not noticing the slow, ridiculously soft footfalls

Debating if I should have my character remove his shoes...

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

VikingSkull posted:

School and the military base is for little kids and idiots IMO

School just isn't worth it anymore for the level of loot you get out of it. Unless you're some kind of surgeon with a shotgun, which I'm not, then it always feels like a crapshoot and you come out with lovely loot.

Best place to drop is South Georgeopol duplexes either North or South of the apartments. Good loot, busy enough to get some kills and be fun but usually not too much of a crapshoot (though depends on flightpath), enough vehicle spawns to get out usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Debating if I should have my character remove his shoes...

I do this, not because it makes you quieter (it doesn't) but because most people still wear shoes, so it helps to differentiate between your footsteps and others.

• Locked thread