Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Upgrading your poo poo to max level takes around 8 carbon crystals per piece of gear so you quickly run out

I've got over 40 of them with Quiver already maxed and everything else 2 or 3 levels from max. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

precision posted:

I've got over 40 of them with Quiver already maxed and everything else 2 or 3 levels from max. :shrug:

Every item's last couple of levels take 3-5, and I'm certain at least a couple take 8. Either way, congrats.

Fucker.

Also: I don't know how practical it is, but I'm happy I got Animal Taming:

Croc on a roof!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I found more Carbon than I could ever use just by exploing around. There's normally a bunch scattered through tombs and caves, just have to look around a bit.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

If you're looking for carbon, there's one in every two or three spear camp, usually in the commander's quarters.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Calaveron posted:

Why am I wasting my time then
Like doing the exploration/collecting poo poo in 4 netted me the neat templar armor and the steampunk swords why wouldn’t doing the tombs give me something I’ve seen pictures of a glowy outfit
Also I only ever found one bong rip Isu recording (thank god) I thought they were present in all the tombs

Track down the stone circles :ssh:

Also, every tablet is a free skill point, so that's nice.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Do I get anything for getting the five tablets? I’m fairly sure I got them all (the one way at the beginning, three for the pyramids and the one extra from the bandit hideout with the dogge)

there's well more than 5 tablets, Giza just has the highest concentration of tombs in any region.

people tend to take pictures at the entrances if you really want to find the location of them

finding the tablets and resting at the hermit locations net you a free skill point whenever you accomplish that

Calaveron posted:

Like doing the exploration/collecting poo poo in 4 netted me the neat templar armor and the steampunk swords why wouldn’t doing the tombs give me something I’ve seen pictures of a glowy outfit
Also I only ever found one bong rip Isu recording (thank god) I thought they were present in all the tombs

the Isu recordings are in 5 tombs (4 of them after you find the tablet) as well as a super secret bonus area that technically requires the 12 stone circles to access

also again its a free skillpoint for 10 minutes of exploration mostly plus a ton of poo poo

only 3 of the tombs have any combat in them, so its a quick way to gets skills quick at lower levels

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 13, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

There are like five of those Isu recordings and I'm pretty sure you need them for the glowy outfit so you do have to do at least some of the tombs.

Also each tomb gives you an ability point so you still get something.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hermit’s resting areas?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Harrow posted:

There are like five of those Isu recordings and I'm pretty sure you need them for the glowy outfit so you do have to do at least some of the tombs.

Nope. I've only found two of them and I got the thing. You just have to find all 12 stone circles.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just assassinated the crocodile, but I did so by actually sneaking up the roofs and doing a proper assassination on them.

As a result I didn't kill the bodyguard. Is there any plot based thing that changes because of that? The cutscene kicked in and the game's just carried on as normal now.

Oh and I really hope Ubi update the menu controls to allow the dpad to move around the screen rather than take you to the Ubi shop.

This 'not quite a mouse cursor' is kinda poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Hermit’s resting areas?

There are 5 areas that are hermit retreats and if you find the bed and rest on it.

Most of them are in the northern half of the map.

One is in the black mountains and is like the only ? spot there.

There's an oasis on the Qattara depression that has one but also has a bunch of hyenas

There's an abandoned city of cats

There's one in the series of islands near He Hurs in the NE of the map

There's also one other I think in the SE of Faiyun on top of some arches and columns

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

exploded mummy posted:

There are 5 areas that are hermit retreats and if you find the bed and rest on it.

Most of them are in the northern half of the map.

One is in the black mountains and is like the only ? spot there.

There's an oasis on the Qattara depression that has one but also has a bunch of hyenas

There's an abandoned city of cats

There's one in the series of islands near He Hurs in the NE of the map

There's also one other I think in the SE of Faiyun on top of some arches and columns

I think I found one on my way to Cleopatra but I didn’t find a bed or anything

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Calaveron posted:

I think I found one on my way to Cleopatra but I didn’t find a bed or anything

It's usually just a cloth on the ground or something similar. "A place to rest" is what they call it, I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are there any important main quest beats that you should beeline for before busying yourself with sidequests and collectibles? I've finished the one early on where you get the hidden blade (I'm not putting this in spoiler tags, if you're mad that I've spoiled the fact that you acquire a hidden blade in an assassin's creed game go gently caress yourself), is there anything else like that that I should focus on before getting distracted? Or is the world now as open to me as it's going to get?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are there any important main quest beats that you should beeline for before busying yourself with sidequests and collectibles? I've finished the one early on where you get the hidden blade (I'm not putting this in spoiler tags, if you're mad that I've spoiled the fact that you acquire a hidden blade in an assassin's creed game go gently caress yourself), is there anything else like that that I should focus on before getting distracted? Or is the world now as open to me as it's going to get?

yes and no

do you want to unleash about 10 specific hard enemies into the world now, or wait till you have some more prep done (they start around level 20 and go to the level cap of 40)

otherwise the world is basically your oyster

well you should probably eliminate the snake since you get the bath towel outfit

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

yes and no

do you want to unleash about 10 specific hard enemies into the world now, or wait till you have some more prep done (they start around level 20 and go to the level cap of 40)

otherwise the world is basically your oyster

well you should probably eliminate the snake since you get the bath towel outfit

I've also already done both of the things you're referring to so it sounds like I'm set.

I even tried taking on Anubis which was....a mistake. looking forward to his next go round when I manage to hit level 40

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
man, that Shadya quest is something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've also already done both of the things you're referring to so it sounds like I'm set.

I even tried taking on Anubis which was....a mistake. looking forward to his next go round when I manage to hit level 40

you can unlock some more sidequests if you do the next plot beat and open up hte second tier of targets but thats kind of about it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ainsley McTree posted:

The only ability that's tied to a story quest is the hidden blade. There's another quest that unleashes some high-level boss enemies that wander around but you definitely can't kill them until later anyway, so don't worry about that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm playing Syndicate waiting for the Origins' price to drop.

They really need to make up their mind on the currency. I have 750 pound on my train, which is 85,000 pounds today, but gear is like 2000 pound which is 220,000 today. I doubt even the finest belt would be even half that.

:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kin posted:

Oh and I really hope Ubi update the menu controls to allow the dpad to move around the screen rather than take you to the Ubi shop.

This 'not quite a mouse cursor' is kinda poo poo.

yea it's baffling, i mean i know Destiny was a popular game but i doubt its popularity was because of the lame "fake mouse cursor" business. it is just not at all necessary for this game

one thing i found out last night is if you place the cursor over equipment and click L3 it shows a screen that gives you the hard numbers on every gear attribute, ie exactly what percent chance things like "Sleep on Block" give you or what each rank of "critical damage" gives you etc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

skooma512 posted:

I'm playing Syndicate waiting for the Origins' price to drop.

They really need to make up their mind on the currency. I have 750 pound on my train, which is 85,000 pounds today, but gear is like 2000 pound which is 220,000 today. I doubt even the finest belt would be even half that.

:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

in watchdogs 2 a car is 20,000$ and a hat is 10,000$

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

corn in the bible posted:

in watchdogs 2 a car is 20,000$ and a hat is 10,000$

That sounds accurate, depending on where in the Bay you’re shopping.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there any other way to get the costumes in the store? Pharoah, Scarab etc. I'm kinda tempted to get the mummy one.

Also you can totally light the alarm braziers in camps with flaming arrows. I dunno why you would, but it works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that all you have to do to get into certain places is to light the floor on fire.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there any other way to get the costumes in the store? Pharoah, Scarab etc. I'm kinda tempted to get the mummy one.

Also you can totally light the alarm braziers in camps with flaming arrows. I dunno why you would, but it works.

It summons local Phylakes, in case you want to clear out the base and fight them on your terms.

Or maybe you just want to fight more poo poo in general.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

precision posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that all you have to do to get into certain places is to light the floor on fire.

You can also smash them with your weapon, or use arrows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing that kind of bugs me with the level system is that guards who are like 20 levels lower than you and can be one-shotted don't run away from you in abject terror.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

precision posted:

One thing that kind of bugs me with the level system is that guards who are like 20 levels lower than you and can be one-shotted don't run away from you in abject terror.

Yeah, that would be cool, but it only triggers if you one shot an enemy.

I guess the alternative could be a hidden counter that tracks how many enemies you kill in an area. After a certain volume you get a 'reputation' that leads to them first approaching you cautiously before just fleeing in fear.

Only downside to that is that it breaks your stealthy assassin type immersion, but it's not like you're that unknown in this game anyway.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Calaveron posted:

I don’t know how to find tombs. I think I missed the tutorial mission kinda how I missed the star aligning mechanic for like 30 levels

They are the yellow, sparkling '?'s on the map.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Aranan posted:

Is it just me, or is it harder to get actual sneak-up-and-stab assassinations in this game than older ones? I've only played AC3 previously, but I felt like sneaking around and shanking people was a large part of the game. In this one, I'm lucky if I can stab a couple people before the alarm goes up or I get caught immediately. I can't tell if I'm just rubbish at sneaking or if the relative flatness of most places makes it harder to get into position.

The sneaking in this game is ridiculously easy, it is very hard to get spotted. There is grass everywhere that let's you hide very close to the enemies and you can usually kill whoever spots you before they alert anyone else. Also, only people that actually see you get alerted when the alarm is triggered, anyone else in the base you can still assassinate even though the alarm has been set. Enemies also don't raise the alarm when spotting dead bodies, they just go "Huh?" and look around for a minute.

I usually start bases by clearing the walls and towers, then I move down to ground level and assassinate everyone from bushes and tall grass. I find aerial assassinations are not as powerful/useful as they used to be in the other games since you can hide from the enemies pretty much everywhere on the ground. The enemies are also much less aware of their surroundings, you can stalk behind them forever as long as they don't look straight at you you are safe.

I did not want to make it sound like you are bad, it's more like this game works differently than the other rear end Creeds. You can be much more aggressive since getting spotted is harder (more places to hide, enemies not as aware) and getting spotted is not that big of a deal (the enemies don't all instantly know where you are).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I honestly prefer to go sneak-bowing. Mark all soldiers with Senu and then start taking out layers of enemies with the predator bow starting from the outside going to the inside as if the camp is a giant matryoshka doll.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And I actually enjoy getting spotted and going all Achilles on everybody in the base, which I’m relieved to find is a valid approach, at least so far.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I almost never use Sanu during missions or to mark enemies. It just makes things too easy and takes away the tension of sneaking

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm almost at the end of the main story and Bayek is definitely my favorite assassin. He feels a lot more human than most of the AC protagonists have and I enjoy the contrast between how level-headed and mature he can be and how utterly berserk he goes on people who deserve it. He's a good player character.

Aranan posted:

Is it just me, or is it harder to get actual sneak-up-and-stab assassinations in this game than older ones? I've only played AC3 previously, but I felt like sneaking around and shanking people was a large part of the game. In this one, I'm lucky if I can stab a couple people before the alarm goes up or I get caught immediately. I can't tell if I'm just rubbish at sneaking or if the relative flatness of most places makes it harder to get into position.

If you're having trouble sneak-and-stabbing, use the whistle to lure enemies. It's frankly overpowered but I find it pretty satisfying. Just hide in a hay bale or tall grass/plants and whistle enemies over to you to stab them.

A lot of bases also tend to have alternate entrances (the actual bases, not the camps that are out in the open). There are often tunnels you can use to sneak inside the base and start in an easier position than climbing up over the wall or going through the front gate.

Even then, I don't mind getting caught too much in Assassin's Creed games. In general, they make it easy enough to take out a few enemies and then go back into hiding, so it doesn't feel as much like sneaking or getting caught is an all-or-nothing thing like it can be in some other games. Oh, and always try to trap any of the alarm braziers so that if anyone does get away to light the brazier, they just get blown up instead of calling reinforcements.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 13, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There are really only three things that trouble me in combat now at level 40; getting smoke-locked by dual bladers, getting bullrushed by tower shields or tons of archers in certain situations. Hard is a good difficulty, combat is good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still terrible at fighting enemies with big shields. If there's only one enemy, or just a couple enemies and only one of them has a shield, I can usually dodge around behind them pretty reliably, but otherwise I just cheese them with my own smoke bombs. I'm getting better at parrying, though, and now I wish it had the awesome *boom* sound parries make in Dark Souls because it's always fun to do.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, after 55 hours of stabbing, I'm pretty much finished, I think. After I saw the ending, I had a couple of tasks that I had set for myself: open up the whole map, sync all the viewpoints, align all the constellations, get to level 40 and upgrade gear, and finish off the phylakes. That took about seven hours, and a bit of frustration when I couldn't find the last viewpoint on the map (turns out there's one you only get when you start the "The Flea of Cyrene" quest -- which was ultra-cute, btw). I still have a couple of quests in the log, quite a few ?s uncovered and tasks undone (including whatever that ancient mechanism that costs 50 crystals to activate is... yeesh), but that can all wait...

...because for the first time ever I am actually considering buying the season pass for a game. I really, really enjoyed this game, and would like to see the story expansions. I don't really care about the other stuff, which is why I wish we knew if the story DLC will be available separately for less, but that's just quibbling.

When the DLC hits, I'll mop up some of of the stuff that's left for leveling purposes.

In any other year, this would be an easy GOTY pick for me, but there's been so many good games this year, y'all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t decide if I like bayek or not yet. He seems like he swings pretty wildly between angry and charismatic and the game can’t decide which one he wants to be. I’m glad though that given his origin story, they avoided making him another broody Aidan Pearce because that would have been dull as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can’t decide if I like bayek or not yet. He seems like he swings pretty wildly between angry and charismatic and the game can’t decide which one he wants to be. I’m glad though that given his origin story, they avoided making him another broody Aidan Pearce because that would have been dull as hell

He reminds me of the quintessential dad, which makes sense given his story. When he's just chilling out he's kind of goofy and he wants to help everyone with their problems. If you cross his moral compass though, for whatever reason, he loses his poo poo and descends upon you with righteous fury.