Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

I thought Exalted accidentally recreated the situation in fights where evenly matched people would grind on each other until someone gets a key edge and IT'S OVER, KAKAROTT! The problem is that all this fiddling bullshit meant that there was no fast pace, while if the combat was basically rolling craps at each other and taking chips out of a pile, it would have gone much faster.

Games like these are inevitably slowed down when you do things like apply Gifts or Charms, or whatever special technique or spell or at-will/per-encounter/daily or what have you to your actions, yeah. But I, personally, can't stand it if I go through all of that fiddly poo poo for an attack only to get it waived away by a single declaration, not to mention that it also just makes things go on even longer.

It creates a situation where you never, ever, go all out for an attack because it's always a waste of not only resources for your much more vital defenses, but also a waste of time and energy for the players. Which is why a system that rewards aggression is more or less vital.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

I thought Exalted accidentally recreated the situation in fights where evenly matched people would grind on each other until someone gets a key edge and IT'S OVER, KAKAROTT! The problem is that all this fiddling bullshit meant that there was no fast pace, while if the combat was basically rolling craps at each other and taking chips out of a pile, it would have gone much faster.
Have each player secretly roll 3d6.
Each player screams for that many minutes.
Whoever stops screaming first loses.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

The reason 1st and 2nd Edition were so notorious for this is because combat was so thoroughly and easily "solved" that fiddliness was largely beside the point. In 1st you relied on rolling the same enormous dice pools over and over again until a fluke happened, which could then be ameliorated usually until you ran out of Willpower (which might not happen!). 2nd Edition it was even worse, because you pretty much divided your Do-things points by your Defense-cost, and the person with the higher number won…except it wasn't incredibly difficult to reach zero-attrition states where, combat-wise, you were literally locked in an eternal stalemate until something orthogonal to combat happened like narrative weaknesses or one of the combatants didn't buy an anti-starvation Charm and died that way instead after your week-long battle. Which could be funny and cool, once, but that was the default state of the combat for the characters that were the focus of the game. And on top of that, many potential sideways things that could be used to spice up the solved nature of combat were easily and cheaply solved.

The other potential focus-character type (Dragon-Blooded) technically played a more engaging game because they couldn't just cheaply banish vast swaths of problems forever, but then they ran up against the fundamentally flawed core system where any respectable foe could quite easily one-shot you with little effort.

3rd Edition appears to do a lot to solve those problems—and keeps and introduces other problems, I guess for tradition.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 12, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bewilderment posted:

Nobilis is the game about doing this. On the flipside, Nobilis 2e (and 1e, which it expanded on) was not attainable legally for a good while, and Nobilis 3e has better rules but is much uglier visually and is missing things like an example of play or sample characters. Better rules, much worse book.

It also might be too high-powered for what people want.

Didn't something happen with Nobilis 3e that screwed Jen Moran out of getting money for sales on it, too?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Didn't something happen with Nobilis 3e that screwed Jen Moran out of getting money for sales on it, too?

If I'm correct, I believe the real issue was that she had to redo all of the artwork because illegal artwork was in the original product. Work that used other people's properties. I also believe EOS Publishing pulled a fast one on her and she basically had to go to a different company without getting her money back.

It's all really sad. Jenna Moran is a good designer, but the niche nature of her works hurt her. Having businesses screw her over as well is simply unfair.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

If I'm correct, I believe the real issue was that she had to redo all of the artwork because illegal artwork was in the original product. Work that used other people's properties. I also believe EOS Publishing pulled a fast one on her and she basically had to go to a different company without getting her money back.

It's all really sad. Jenna Moran is a good designer, but the niche nature of her works hurt her. Having businesses screw her over as well is simply unfair.

The artist she hired for it literally traced people's Touhou fanart online and did a really bad job tracing it to boot, so they had to re-release it without that person's bullshit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Guardians of Order keep a bunch of copies of Nobilis when they went out of business, which they then apparently just sold one at a time through Amazon Marketplace or whatever?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Guardians of Order keep a bunch of copies of Nobilis when they went out of business, which they then apparently just sold one at a time through Amazon Marketplace or whatever?

Through eBay and yes.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hi Chat Thread,

https://www.lookingforgm.com/

lookingforgm.com posted:

Find the perfect Game Master.
Find a game when you want to play.
Want to become a Professional Game Master?
We're hiring. Yea, all of you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How much are talking

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Plutonis posted:

How much are talking

I'm not signing up, you sign up.

fakeedit: Under minimum wage, I bet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Done.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Brazil is a harsh place to live.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
They don't even have a payment system in place yet, that's "coming soon" supposedly.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The terrible idea of paid DMing has been popping up for as long as anybody can remember. Maybe this particular website is the one to finally crack the market and make this hobby into a weird form of prostitution rather than a game

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"You will not be employed by LFGM"

This is such a horrible idea.

Yeah, I'm betting that they're, at best, trying to be the Uber of GMs and will take a cut of whatever you make, but letting the GMs set their own price just means that...

slap me and kiss me posted:

fakeedit: Under minimum wage, I bet.

...everyone will try to undercut everyone else until you're making less than minimum wage.

And that's not even factoring what a GM even does both at and away from the table.

US Minimum Wage is $7.25, so someone's going to argue that a 4 hour session shouldn't cost more than $29. It's only going to spiral down from there.

Which begs the question: How much is GMing, as a potential service, worth?

I don't know how you all GM, but for a 4 hour session I've already put way more than 4 hours of work into it. And I'm doing all of that to have fun with friends. For a bunch of strangers I don't personally know I'd be wary of even running for them, but I guess if I had to set a price I'd run a pre-written module (so if I had to work with multiple groups I'd only have to do the prep once) and likely charge $30/player for a 4 hour session.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

Yeah, I'm betting that they're, at best, trying to be the Uber of GMs and will take a cut of whatever you make, but letting the GMs set their own price just means that...

...everyone will try to undercut everyone else until you're making less than minimum wage.

And that's not even factoring what a GM even does both at and away from the table.

US Minimum Wage is $7.25, so someone's going to argue that a 4 hour session shouldn't cost more than $29. It's only going to spiral down from there.

I don't know how you all GM, but for a 4 hour session I've already put way more than 4 hours of work into it. And I'm doing all of that to have fun with friends. For a bunch of strangers I don't personally know I'd be wary of even running for them, but I guess if I had to set a price I'd run a pre-written module (so if I had to work with multiple groups I'd only have to do the prep once) and likely charge $30/player for a 4 hour session.

Yea that seems reasonable. I've never charged, nor paid. But I have the benefit of being willing to DM.
I can totally see someone being willing to pay that for a regular, reliable, decent game. It's less than the gas I'd need to pay to get to the nearest FLGS and has the bonus of me not having to play with the people at the FLGS.

I signed up with my junk email. I'll report back when I'm rich.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 13, 2017

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

quote:

Please note: Currently, the platform only supports free game listings whilst we test the payment gateway for providing paid games through the LFGM platform. We are attempting to develop the best possible platform for the community and appreciate your patience as we continue to develop new features. We invite you to be engaged with our G+ and Discord communities to help provide us with valuable feedback. Our mission is to further the success of our users.

Well that's silly, then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They're just trying to corner in on roll20's turf, because the paid GM thing over there is loving thriving. And it's doing real well for everyone, somehow roll20 themselves has a goddamn esports team now.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I make money as a GM by translating my PbP campaigns into Japanese and selling them on the thriving Japanese RPG replay novel market.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Getsuya posted:

I make money as a GM by translating my PbP campaigns into Japanese and selling them on the thriving Japanese RPG replay novel market.

I love that this is a thing that really exists, but much like twitch streams of people playing D&D I will likely never understand the appeal.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The Japanese TRPG scene has some pretty bizarre aspects. NicoNico is full of chat-based RPGs being read by Vocaloids, and campaigns where people pretend to be anime characters playing the game. Now, let’s get this straight, they’re not playing the anime characters in the game, they are playing the game as if they themselves were the anime characters playing that game. There’s a whole Nico tag (takum@s, taku meaning table) dedicated to folks pretending to be Idolm@ster characters playing RPGs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm always amazed at how much money seems to be moving around in an industry where virtually nobody can actually make a living.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Brazil is a harsh place to live.

The ninty switch is 700+ dollars. I need the money for it.

Getsuya posted:

The Japanese TRPG scene has some pretty bizarre aspects. NicoNico is full of chat-based RPGs being read by Vocaloids, and campaigns where people pretend to be anime characters playing the game. Now, let’s get this straight, they’re not playing the anime characters in the game, they are playing the game as if they themselves were the anime characters playing that game. There’s a whole Nico tag (takum@s, taku meaning table) dedicated to folks pretending to be Idolm@ster characters playing RPGs.

I remember seeing a bunch of fanart on danbooru of Reimu and Marisa from Touhou as PCs in some kind of Call of Cthulhu game and I wonder if that's the case as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was also an anime based on a novel based on a TRPG replay played by a bunch of anime and light novel writers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

There was also an anime based on a novel based on a TRPG replay played by a bunch of anime and light novel writers.

Red Dragon/Crimson Dragon. Dropped after three episodes because of how incoherent and boring it was despite it having a lot of dudes whose writing I liked and was hyped for (even made the SA thread for it lol)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I remember seeing a bunch of fanart on danbooru of Reimu and Marisa from Touhou as PCs in some kind of Call of Cthulhu game and I wonder if that's the case as well.

Yup. CoC is at least the 2nd most popular TRPG in Japan after SW2.0 so there’s a ton of ‘let’s play CoC as anime characters’ stuff. One of the most popular(?) replay novel series is a CoC one. For some reason the characters are always a party of cute high school girls though so I’m not sure they’re playing CoC the way Lovecraft would have intended.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Yup. CoC is at least the 2nd most popular TRPG in Japan after SW2.0 so there’s a ton of ‘let’s play CoC as anime characters’ stuff. One of the most popular(?) replay novel series is a CoC one. For some reason the characters are always a party of cute high school girls though so I’m not sure they’re playing CoC the way Lovecraft would have intended.

Modern HP Lovecraft would absolutely have been an a massive weeb, like most internet racists.

Serf
May 5, 2011

total shut-in and deathly afraid of black people? yeah, that checks out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lovecraft would have been full alt-right, probably.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He was apolitical and probably would still be. Robert E. Howard however would definitely be the kind of guy who buys Infowars health supplements while doing weightlifting and joining a bunch of muscled dudes in reviving Celtic paganism.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, so he'd be a South Park centrist. Gotcha.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Getsuya posted:

Fun fact: The Japanese edition of CoC 7e outsells the English edition.

I'm deeply curious to see what happens when the upcoming version of Runequest hits Japan.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So how does paid GMing deal with the challenge paradoxes? What happens if you've paid a GM for a session and then you hit a button in the second room of the dungeon which collapses the ceiling and TPK, session over? Or if you sneak around the back of the enemy HQ and kill everyone in five minutes and adventure over?

Getsuya posted:

I think a lot of the actual play podcasts are people adopting characters to play RPGs, and with that change on Roll20, it could end up altering how RPGs are played and perceived in the same way that streaming has for video games.. which means it may end up needing careful control.

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

U.s. minimum wage is also not consistent across the nation. In New York, the minimum wage is $10. 7.25 is the federal rate, states can set a rate higher but not lower. They usually try to adjust for the cost of living.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Can I get paid for running GM-less games like Fiasco and Microscope?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I'd play Son Goku. I'd try to fight and befriend everything. I'd likely end up dying every time and learning nothing from it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't wait to see the paid D&D GM market saturate itself in less than a day.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I played ravenloft with 3 friends the other day for the first time. Turns out the game is pretty hard if you don't read the rules and don't draw any treasures after killing monsters. We ran out of surges after revealing like, 4 tiles lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Plutonis posted:

He was apolitical and probably would still be. Robert E. Howard however would definitely be the kind of guy who buys Infowars health supplements while doing weightlifting and joining a bunch of muscled dudes in reviving Celtic paganism.

Robert E. Howard grew up in the middle of the Texas oil boom, and all his stories were heavily influenced by that culture. But his latter works became less racist and sexist (though still pretty racist and sexist) as he spent more time talking with people outside of the Texas oil fields. Lovecraft is the guy who claims he is totally different from those silent majority types (and thus not voting) while sharing all of the fears and worries of the silent majority.

• Locked thread