Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

man nasa having the budget to piss away $120 per pencil instead of having to beg for spare satellite parts from the NSA seems like an alternate history timeline at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pretty sure NSA doesn't have any satellites, could you be thinking of the NRO? america has something like sixteen separate intelligence agencies :eng101:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that we know of DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pretty sure NSA doesn't have any satellites, could you be thinking of the NRO? america has something like sixteen separate intelligence agencies :eng101:

i thought the NRO was like, a subdivision of the NSA but i guess it's its own thing :shrug:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
am i the only one who feels phishing tests are worthless. the way i see it used is mainly secops being shitheads. “haha gotcha u dummy”. it sucks rear end for morale and the tools don’t care if the user didn’t interact with the phish.

the only thing phishing tests prove is that people whose job is to click emails click emails.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

am i the only one who feels phishing tests are worthless. the way i see it used is mainly secops being shitheads. “haha gotcha u dummy”. it sucks rear end for morale and the tools don’t care if the user didn’t interact with the phish.

the only thing phishing tests prove is that people whose job is to click emails click emails.

Often clicking the link is the only interaction you need. But I definitely agree with punitive "gotcha" phishing tests being very bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

spankmeister posted:

Often clicking the link is the only interaction you need. But I definitely agree with punitive "gotcha" phishing tests being very bad.

Maybe they don't convey it too well, but you really do want to train users not to click on links in unexpected emails. If you've had meetings/training telling people not to do that, and they still do it, I'm not sure how exactly to get the message across.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they don't convey it too well, but you really do want to train users not to click on links in unexpected emails. If you've had meetings/training telling people not to do that, and they still do it, I'm not sure how exactly to get the message across.

the days of unexpected emails are long past. nowadays phishing is super specific.

the phishing exercise im complaining about is both timing and subject specific. the users 120% expect the kinds of emails that were sent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the days of unexpected emails are long past. nowadays phishing is super specific.

the phishing exercise im complaining about is both timing and subject specific. the users 120% expect the kinds of emails that were sent.

So the anti-phishing exercise is mimicking exactly what a spearphisher targeting your organisation is going to try?

This is a bad thing why?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jabor posted:

So the anti-phishing exercise is mimicking exactly what a spearphisher targeting your organisation is going to try?

This is a bad thing why?

because the management is using it as a performance indicator which is the dumbest poo poo. have fun telling management that people clicked because they have a billion emails to process and not because they are “bad” employees.

e: i didn’t click btw

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i know posting about video games is cheating but

https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/18877/status-of-potential-chat-vulnerability

apparently there's an rce floating around the tera community where you can post malware into chat, and it'll execute(???) for people.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Well executed phishing attacks are a technical issue to be solved, not a training one. Phishing has become sophisticated enough that it isn't reasonable to expect a user to be able to identify them.

Technical measures are required to block them and/or make them easier for users to identity.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/18877/status-of-potential-chat-vulnerability

apparently there's an rce floating around the tera community where you can post malware into chat, and it'll execute(???) for people.

tera is the pedorpg right? if so good gently caress em

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

man nasa having the budget to piss away $120 per pencil instead of having to beg for spare satellite parts from the NSA seems like an alternate history timeline at this point

it's cuz they discovered the terrible secret of space*

*if you look down from it you can see that florida real-estate is going the way of atlantis

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

tera is the pedorpg right? if so good gently caress em

yea its the "actually 1000 year old dragons" shite :barf:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Truga posted:

this reminds me of when someone playing dark souls could show up in your game and hit you with a sword which executed code that made your game run at a different speed (the game did calculations at 30 fps/hertz, getting hit with the modified weapon would make the game run at half speed). you would get disconnected from online play for running your game too slow or fast. I always wondered if you could run anything worse from the code that handled getting hit with a sword.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

because the management is using it as a performance indicator which is the dumbest poo poo. have fun telling management that people clicked because they have a billion emails to process and not because they are “bad” employees.

e: i didn’t click btw

it is a performance indicator because lol if your employees blind click links/open attachments in emails that vaguely look like they're related to work instead of thinking about what they're doing. if you regularly get phished during exercises you're clearly not learning from the trainings and are a "bad" employee

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Mandatory non-sms two factor mitigates most phishing attacks that aren't unpatched rce in the browser.

Then you just have to patch browsers quickly which is easier than trying to change behavior in thousands of people.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

What I'm saying is if your attitude is "I will scream at users until they STOP BEING WRONG" instead of trying to engineer guard rails and mitigations to well known problems of human behavior, you're never going to make any real progress.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

decent post re: social engineering and pen testing: https://jacobian.org/writing/social-engineering-pentests/

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

mrmcd posted:

What I'm saying is if your attitude is "I will scream at users until they STOP BEING WRONG" instead of trying to engineer guard rails and mitigations to well known problems of human behavior, you're never going to make any real progress.

at the end of the day if an attacker sends an email looking like it's from the ceo and joe from accounting sends every employee's w2 back, that's on joe

engineering can only go so far to mitigate the human factor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

at the end of the day if an attacker sends an email looking like it's from the ceo and joe from accounting sends every employee's w2 back, that's on joe

ok but there's a difference between "click on a link because you spend all goddamn day clicking on links and that's not out of the ordinary" and "responded to a bizarre request to send a bunch of private information over email"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Homeland Security team remotely hacked a Boeing 757

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3236721/security/homeland-security-team-remotely-hacked-a-boeing-757.html

:eyepop:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmbo, can't wait for digital 9/11

also, i'm the trijet on the 757 news picture :v:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Haquer posted:

everyone including the US used pencils at first but it turns out that graphite dust and shards floating around in the air you are breathing is terrible and also that poo poo is conductive

also it was a 3rd party company that developed the pens in use after gemini

I thought they used grease pencils

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Truga posted:

lmbo, can't wait for digital 9/11

also, i'm the trijet on the 757 news picture :v:

or more likely someone has a sky marshal tackle me for editing a latex document on the plane

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

While the details of the hack are classified, Hickey admitted that his team of industry experts and academics pulled it off by accessing the 757’s “radio frequency communications.”

unfortunately this could mean anything

it’s worth mentioning that there’s no digital control network to hack into, the best they can do is break the entertainment system or send garbage commands over ACARS which is kinda like a SMS service between pilots and their company

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I thought they used grease pencils

i legit did too but read that link because the actual story is much weirder

the space pen was actually the cheaper option compared to overpriced pencils and even the soviets wound up using the space pen :psyduck:

e: might help if i actually included the actual post with the link

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 13, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

unfortunately this could mean anything

it’s worth mentioning that there’s no digital control network to hack into, the best they can do is break the entertainment system or send garbage commands over ACARS which is kinda like a SMS service between pilots and their company

posting straight out of my rear end in a top hat here but wasn't there an 802.11 bug that allowed for RCE recently? I could picture a 757 not being well patched.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

They're running the in-house wifi and the control network over the same switches with vlan segregation (weight/space savings) and possibly other additional controls with I assume none of the management interfaces being exposed on the in-house side which is where the APs would live. There's been a bunch of speculation but I don't believe anything conclusive has been published on how they jumped in to the control network and the avionics systems. Owning the AP itself probably won't get you there but it might expose you to some kind of management port on the switches to compromise and pivot to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They're running the in-house wifi and the control network over the same switches with vlan segregation (weight/space savings) and possibly other additional controls with I assume none of the management interfaces being exposed on the in-house side which is where the APs would live. There's been a bunch of speculation but I don't believe anything conclusive has been published on how they jumped in to the control network and the avionics systems

not on the 757 - all that stuff is analog hydraulic lines and such

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Is it the 767 or 777 that's the sec-fuckup on wings then?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

737 next gens so 737-700,800,900

767 is 80s tech, 777 90s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
anything airbus and the 777 since its all fly by wire

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is it the 767 or 777 that's the sec-fuckup on wings then?

the infamous diagram you're thinking of is the 787

e: actually now I'm not so sure cuz I can't find it so I might be remembering it wrong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

the infamous diagram you're thinking of is the 787

e: actually now I'm not so sure cuz I can't find it so I might be remembering it wrong

e2: ok found it and the diagram itself just says "modern aircraft" so idk

e3: quote is not edit lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

here’s the description for 747-8: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-01-15/html/2010-661.htm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

looking it up did lead me to this winner of an article from 2015

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/04/16/us-government-flight-security-claims-fallacious/

quote:

Polstra believes the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) report was put together by people who didn't understand how modern aircraft actually work. He took umbrage with the claims that as airplanes are increasingly connected to the internet, the control systems on planes are in danger of being remotely compromised. He told FORBES over email that the avionics networks, which deal with flight controls and coordination, were simply not connected to the internet like Wi-Fi services. “To imply this is irresponsible.”
Whilst modern aircraft do use standardised internet connections over ethernet and IP addresses sending data to one another, there is no real threat to passenger safety from sky-high Wi-Fi hacks. “To imply that because IP is used for in-flight WiFi and also on the avionics networks means that you can automatically take over the avionics network makes about as much sense as saying you can take over the jet engines because they breath air like the passengers and there is no air gap between passengers who touch the plane and the engines which are attached to the plane,” Polstra said.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That quote hurts my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Blinkz0rz posted:

engineering should be able to do something that says THIS EMAIL CAME FROM OUTSIDE THE COMPANY BEWARE OF PHISHING ATTACKS

• Locked thread