Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s been way too serious this season. If I wanted no s op drama I’d watch the walking dead. Still a good show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This season just isn’t doing anything for me. It feels like they are taking themselves super seriously plus they are doing the thing that I really don’t like: getting into trouble/doing stupid poo poo by not communicating. Warren’s character is really off and just super annoying, kinda wish she’d just die along with her stupid prophecy thing. Lucy’s thing kinda happened outta nowhere but honestly her character hasn’t grown enough where I cared about her. I was more affected by seeing Murphy sad and all.

That bottle episode with the crates was honestly plain unwatchable for me. That noise, the weird feedback, the darkness, etc. I honestly had to keep skipping forward in time because it started to make my head hurt.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It is getting annoying, especially since every time we see the flashback it isn't giving us any new information.

There's a big.. rainbow shaped thing, it melts your skin off and you die. it's in the east. LETS HEAD EAST. instead of going in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

Put yourself in her shoes. You were unconscious in Zona for 2 years and they clearly did some weird stuff to you while you were unconscious. You're compelled to go east. Where you know bad science poo poo is going to go down. You get to a strange lab, no doubt full of bad science poo poo. Somehow you know how to get into this shady lab, to the degree that you know the security codes and can find a very specific piece of hidden science poo poo, the alignment of which is unknown...

Nope, don't see any problem here, lets pick up this cannister and keep going east. I clearly haven't been programmed to start off this rainbow of death poo poo myself.

That said I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the writers have arbitrarily decided someone in Zona was working AGAINST the big reset and whatever she's been programmed to do there is gonna stop it. Because some how this person working against the big reset has managed to undermine it for 2 years without being noticed.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I, too, wish Warren would just die or whatever so the show can head in a new direction, but I love spending time with these characters, so I'll be happy with anything we get.

Also, I love that Murphy has been wearing a Zona sweat shirt the whole season. Where do I get one?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Warren was becoming insufferable since early last season and it's getting worse. Honestly she's ruining the show for me, although I actually liked this last episode except for the Warren parts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Warren fine before this season but I find everything about her this season kind of ridiculous (in a bad way).

I'm also mildly annoyed that Murphy's Zona disease/canibalism/zombiesm ends up either getting cut off or made unnecessarily complicated with him getting bitten and re-blended or cured or whatever. And Lucy just kind of serving no purpose except to sacrifice herself to put the focus back on Murphy as a walking petri dish.

Or half the cast just being disappeared.

Basically I'm watching for Doc and 10K. And the new "Sarge" is ok.

But in fairness I've never loved this show like most of you. So I have less distance to fall and less good will stored up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Episode

Warren's Wedding

Shaken by the death of one of the team, something snaps in Murphy, and Warren is unable to stop him and the others from committing an atrocity as misplaced revenge.

Hot title there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Holy crap an ICP episode. Figures they would survive the Zpocalypse

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 11, 2017

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Zuggalos lol I forgot that was last night

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man what the gently caress happened to this show?

Watching it is like having a fever dream.
Nothing makes sense.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
And just like that, I gave my final poo poo.

Since when did Roberta know so much about ICP? I wanna say it was something randomly mentioned in an earlier episode, but I can't find it and even if it were the case the episode still sucked.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is this new episode even worth watching?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I wouldn't recommend it. In the grand scale of things, it goes nowhere, and even in relation to the story on a weekly basis it makes half the characters decide to do poo poo that's out of character just for the sake of giving them a reality check to make them in character again.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Is it possible that one of the execs at Asylum suddenly went 'hang on, this show isn't confirming to our brand standard of being poo poo?'

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

yeah I guess Warren's a juggalo now? This is weird, and not in the good Z-Nation way weird. What was the point of this episode?

they're losing me here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caedus posted:

yeah I guess Warren's a juggalo now? This is weird, and not in the good Z-Nation way weird. What was the point of this episode?

they're losing me here.

Can i skip this episode, i hate clowns and ICP.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I don’t know who came to this season and decided to shift the tone of the show after 4 seasons but I do not like them.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Can i skip this episode, i hate clowns and ICP.

absolutely.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Juggalo means jack all to me and I had no problems with the episode, it was one of the better ones this season. If you didn't understand it ... Murphy and 10K are pissed at Warren and do something to spite her. And like most decisions made out of spite, it turns out to be a bad one. Also Sarge got a bra, the least flattering bra of all time and I hope they let her ditch it or get a better one because she looks dumb.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She had a bra? Hard to tell with her nipples poking out all the time.

I also didn't have a problem with the episode. This show has tons of standalone weird poo poo episodes every year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought that was a pretty standard Z Nation episode. It took a silly concept and had the team sidetrack for a random reason to play with it for one episode. The main difference is that the Zuggalos almost had nothing to do with zombies so they just made an episode about Juggalos instead of Zombie Juggalos or something. Which seems to me like they had an idea and then just couldn't come up with an interesting way to expand on it.

I also just thing there's probably diminishing returns on that kind of trick. This kind of episode would have fit in more with the first couple of seasons but these last couple are getting so weird with their plotting that it kind of just makes an episode like this really stand out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

... her nipples poking out all the time.

Except in the last episode, her red bra straps were hanging off her shoulders.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It was a little painful to watch all the ICP references, esp. all that about Faygo, but no worse than the episode with the horrible screeching noise over and over again. Just like at least 50% of you I do worry about where Sarge's nipples have gotten off to though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I have a weird crush on Sgt. Lily and I thought this episode was funny and enjoyable and a return to form for the show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was weird but none of it was really funny like in previous seasons. You also had to have previous knowledge of ICP and juggalo culture to really get anything out of it. I wonder what it was like for someone who has no idea who ICP is? Probably pretty bad.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I only know that ICP are a thing (thanks to the mocking articles and threads of this site), I know nothing about them. And for me, I felt like I was Milhouse watching the episode of itchy and scratchy with Poochy. With the ICP jackoffs playing the role of Poochy.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

It was weird but none of it was really funny like in previous seasons. You also had to have previous knowledge of ICP and juggalo culture to really get anything out of it. I wonder what it was like for someone who has no idea who ICP is? Probably pretty bad.

I've heard of ICP and juggalos, but nothing about their 'culture' and I still felt like I got something out of it. So did the person I was watching with who had no idea juggalos were a thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

When's the furry episode?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I enjoyed this episode, kind of wish they could have taken manbaby Zuggalo with them though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Juggalo means jack all to me and I had no problems with the episode, it was one of the better ones this season.

Invalid Validation posted:

I wonder what it was like for someone who has no idea who ICP is? Probably pretty bad.

It's not complicated. Juggalos are overzealous fans who wear makeup and ape their favorite band. You could get that much from context. Actually I think they even tell you that in the episode. It's cosplay for rednecks.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Looking forward to the cult of elvis impersonators, ooh, or mall santas!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

QwertySanchez posted:

Looking forward to the cult of elvis impersonators, ooh, or mall santas!

I mean, Fallout New Vegas already did the former...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ApeHawk posted:

I mean, Fallout New Vegas already did the former...

The team exit an abandoned building and brush themselves off.

Doc: Well that was a bust, what do we do now?

Off camera: LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE LADIES, ANOTHER UNSUSPECTING PONCE!

Doc is then chased by elderly women wielding rolling pins as everyone else is too busy trying to get Warren to snap out of her Faygo powered hallucinations

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Bob and Doug McZombie. Z-Nation redeemed.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Caedus posted:

Bob and Doug McZombie. Z-Nation redeemed.

And that end scene! :drat:

Wonder if the green smoke seeking out zombies is going to be something new?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I thought the juggalos were interesting but the ending sucked

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me the whole ______ zombie gag just feels like its hit diminishing returns and the plot is all kinds of incomprehensible and dumb (but it always kind of has been). But I was thinking about it and I think the biggest thing with Z Nation is it kind of feels like its lost its nerve. A lot of what made Z Nation stand out early on was how willing it was to deal with the high stakes and just kill off cast members. And I get that its way easier to kill off people in Season 1 when you introduce them knowing you're going to, but everyone now kind of feels like they have plot armor and episodes have no real purpose. Adult Lucy seemed to get introduced just to have an emotional death and that just didn't matter to me at all. In general it seems like characters get introduced now to die later because the main cast can't die. I love 10K but he probably should have died last season having been bitten by Murphy. And even characters like Addy and Citizen Z just disappear instead of getting killed off.

I don't know. I was just thinking about why the show is starting to feel like a chore to me and that's what I came up with. But really I'm probably just bored in the moment.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

There's definitely something to that; at this point I'd really like to feel like the main characters are in true danger again. I think the last time I cared about a death on the show was when Addy lost Mack. In those days peoples' deaths were meaningless, because dying in the apocalypse is just a matter of poo poo luck. Main character deaths at this point, even if they happen, are pretty much guaranteed to be all meaningful and full of lame-rear end sacrifice (e.g. Lucy).

That said this show is still 5000% better than TWD right now, special effects effort included.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

That said this show is still 5000% better than TWD right now, special effects effort included.

See I EXPECT digital gunshots and bloodsplatter with ZN. When I see people in WD pointing airsoft guns and showering each other with digital sparks, no recoil or brass being thrown, I am not impressed. Maybe invest less in a CGI tiger and more in blanks and squibs. ZN never had the budget for that, but to see WD go from movie-quality effects to.. well.. Z Nation level effects, I can't help but cringe.

ZN talk though - how do they know which Z's are Mad Z's before they actually shoot them in the head? Also why was the entire Team Canada roster right at the border and not sitting in the most secure bunker we have? That's like, the first thing we'd have taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashley
Oct 20, 2008
I think the Mad Zs have black crap all around their mouths. That's why for a second they thought the Zuggalos were Mad Zs, because of their black makeup.

Also, the religious relic guy getting squished at the very last second of the episode was the first time I've laughed out loud at this show in a very long time.

• Locked thread