Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bubblyblubber posted:

And now for the junkie-enabler clueless no spine grand slam:

My [54F] daughter [18F] had an extreme, angry, and uncharacteristic breakdown the day her father [50M] came home from the hospital.

For a very pleasant turn, she's getting wrecked in the comments.

Good. At least one of the women in that family has a spine.

Though holy poo poo at how blasé the OP seems over fourteen years of opiate addiction (and if his 'drug dealer friends' are coming around, it's likely not just a long-running Oxy RX) and handling his diabetes so poorly that dude's had an infection for two years and just lost a toe.

Kicking the daughter out would be merciful; those two chucklefucks don't deserve someone with common sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
There's no way that mom isn't a dope addict too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bubblyblubber posted:

I feel like I stepped into one of those law for kidz edits, and now even the lurkers get in trouble.

And now for the junkie-enabler clueless no spine grand slam:

My [54F] daughter [18F] had an extreme, angry, and uncharacteristic breakdown the day her father [50M] came home from the hospital.

For a very pleasant turn, she's getting wrecked in the comments.
"I was shocked that a decade-long drug addiction of a father had an impact on the daughter. I'm telling you, completely shocked."

What an utterly hosed-up co-addicted idiot, I can only hope the daughter finds her own place, cuts contact and finds a way to work through the ACoA issues.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I once had a girlfriend who put a prescription-strength Orajel on the tip of her tongue and gave me a huge, sloppy kiss that left me numb and drooling for like an hour. That was a fun drug prank comparatively.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

almightyerin posted:

There's no way that mom isn't a dope addict too.

Codependence is a Hell of a drug.

This lady's comments are just :stare:

quote:

I did try to leave him when she was around 9 years old, but she convinced me to stay and told me that she didn't want to lose her dad. Now that he's in such poor health I don't think I can leave him, it would feel wrong after all we have been through even though sometimes I wish I could.

And on the topic of the drug dealer friends

quote:

She has never personally met most of them, but at the risk of making myself seem worse, they do hang around in the living room a lot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh cool, so they never really met and she's probably just been confined to her room her entire life in order to feel minimum security in her home, oh wait she's actually regularly threatened by her drug-addicted father. Yep, nothing wrong with any of that on top of the presence of addiction. :murder: the two but also that lady seems genuinely loving dumb. I understand repression but when the curtain is pulled back and it's revealed that a hosed-up drug addict was underneath then it's time to wake up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Me [20 M] with my girlfriend [20 F] of 8 months, having talks on her yet-unexplored bisexuality, and wether she can experience it "once" (?) or not.

quote:

Hello /r/relationships , ive seen you help many many peeople over the years as a long time lurker here, so i decided to create this throwaway (she knows my username, even if she doesnt regularly reddit) and ask your opinions on this matter.

first, some background: I met this girl last year, i never had a gf before. we were friends for a while but both tought we had developed some feelings for eachother so we tried going out once or twice. it worked out pretty drat well.
honestly, i never really wanted a gf. not even when dating this girl, because i didnt feel ready, i wanted to have a more robust connection and know her better, or whatever it may have been (crippling self-esteem issues too, i guess? this comes into play later of course)

after being with her for a while i decided id give it a try. it really all came down to a long message she sent me while returning from a short vacations she had with her family. she was very open to triying things out slowly, or whatever way meant i was there with her, and showed a level of care that impressed me. it wasnt just more than i expected (since i really didnt expect anything at all) but rather something that made me reconsider wether or not i felt ready for a relationship. when she came back we saw eachother about 3 times a week for a month and then we became a couple.
now, 8 months later, we really deeply love eachother, i love her more than i couldve imagined. it realy is something amazing...

some months ago we talked about sexuality and such, and i told her that i think pretty much everyone is bi (which here on reddit isnt a strange thing to think, but it took her by surprise). she told me she had been thinking about how she saw some women and that maybe i was right, at least she may be bi.
last night, we had a long talk. she asked my permission to hookup with a woman. since i am very jealous (id like to think its a respect thing, but i know i go a bit over the line) and shes twice as so (not even kindding weve had to talk about that because it has created some issues in the past) it was very weird for her when i told her that i did give her that permission.

what i said, too, was that it was extremely important that we both knew the consecuences and were prepared to face them. it is important for me that she knows and owns the consecuences of her actions, since she has some history of not really doing so. she knida ignores them because they make her feel bad, and blindly trusts it wont happen to her. as an analitical person it is something we discuss often, and she has made enormous progress towards thinking what could happen when doing things.

so here comes the trouble, of course. i want to separate the two things because i see them as issues that can and probably only will be resolved separately. first, the "dangers" part:

sadly, yesterday (and today), she has shown no such thinking or shown willingness to take precautions, be them physical or mental. she says she only wants to do this once, with someone she has no further interest in, someone she doesnt really have to keep in touch with afterwards and someone she finds attractive. ive argued that she doesnt really do sex just for the fun of it, shes very emotional about it, and so she probably will have to bond with that person for a while (which, being in a relationship with me, could be trouble). she accepted that and said she would try to keep that to a minimum, but knows how she is and that if she does do this, there WILL be some emotions involved.

then, i told her neither of us could guarantee our relationship could keep going afterwards, and this is where she stopped being really rational. she said it would, things would be the same, she would love me just as much and probably more and bla bla. i told her i knew that and i wanted that to happen, but she needed to consider all the possible outcomes before taking a leap like that, because otherwise i wouldnt feel safe about it (and wouldnt allow it). what it came down to was that she wanted this to have no consecuences (somehow...) and she wanted things between us to stay exactly the same, including our "plans" to live a life together and whatnot.

i am legitimately scared of this, and moreso if she isnt! im not crazy, right? it feels like im going crazy, thats for sure...
on the other hand, theres what i havent talked to her about, which is the insecurity and emotional side of things: i really am insecure, and i know that is the cause of most of my jealousy. since i am aware of it, ive minimized my "outside" jealousy to a minimum and very succesfully so, since she thinks im not jealous at all really. ive been feeling much more confident lately too, because of my absolute devotion to her but moreso, her devotion to myself. this means i feel much more inclined to let her do this right now. . . ...... BUT, i do certainly feel insecure about my gf having sex with another person, be it man or women, i do feel bad about her even thinking about it (though i certainly understand exploring your sexuality and such, so i try to ignore this) and i most definetly do feel worried our thing is going to come down crashing hard because of myself before, during, or arfter this happens.

worst thing? i think i absolutly MUST let her! shes said she wont do it if it impacts our relationship, and im unsure wether the damage has been done or not, and also wether she really meant it or not.

at one point i just point blank told her i trusted her so much i would let her choose, as long as she had taken into consideration what i had said, and she didnt say "no", but rather said some sort of "yes" that included some conditions and basically meant that she wouldnt be taking time off, or a break, or anything really. she wanted to do this while being completely normal to me and wanted it to be as eeasy and quick as possible. of course, i took that as a definitive "yes" (since she was "on the verge" of saying she didnt want to do it and would try to forget about it right before saying that, i interpreted it as she not wanting to force me to accept, which honestly i appreciate)

anyways, not taking a break would hurt even more. if i could at least not see her i guess i would feel better (?), maybe i could just forget about that thing happening and take it as some time off to study for finals or whatever. i also think she really must do it and she has to explore this sexuality, or risk regretting it and resenting me later.

what a long post, reddit. im so sorry for making you read all this (unless you find it interesting, i guess!) and i thank you so very much in advance for your advise!

tl;dr: gf wants to try having sex with another woman. doesnt take into account many of the risks. i really want her to explore it but feel afraid/insecure/like its going to hurt me.
gently caress, what a giant pushover

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
“You should have sex with a lady”, said the dude who knew he’d regret it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ultimatums, insults, yelling, threatening to break up - these are tools that people can use to abuse others.

None of them, out of context, are 100% abuse, in, and of themselves.

Y'all have to stop believing that life happens without context, and that everything that might make someone feel bad is "abuse."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

posting is abuse

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

jon joe posted:

“You should have sex with a lady”, said the dude who knew he’d regret it.
At one point I point-blank told her that she can do whatever makes her happy, I'll tag along. Whatever you choose honey I'll allow it, I'm here just passively letting you do what YOU want, I'm here for you.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

posting is abuse

I need an adult!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Palpek posted:

Me [20 M] with my girlfriend [20 F] of 8 months, having talks on her yet-unexplored bisexuality, and wether she can experience it "once" (?) or not.

Congrats on being the bottle used to christen the S.S. Open Relationship

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My (25 M) GF (23 F) wants the most ridiculously expensive things and she already has so much. She wants to buy the iPhone X and when I said no, she threw a fit.

quote:

My girl is sweet until she finds something on YouTube and Amazon and uses her money to buy it

I don't want to come off as a controlling person but we live paycheck to paycheck. I work $12 an hour and she works $10. She wants the newest and most expensive things.

She wants EVERYTHING. Whenever we go to Walmart strictly for grocery shopping, she points to something and is like "baby I want that. We should get it." Not even considering if we're able to use it or if we need it.

She wants a puppy. But I said no.

She wants a MacBook, when we already have a good MacBook from 2 years ago in great condition.

She wants the iPhone X when she got an iPhone 7 plus 6 months ago. I said no because we have to pay for our apartment.

She always WANTS something. Like a 3 year old at a toy store. Except these toys costs over $300 and she's a ticking time bomb with a paycheck. There was a couple of incidents where she stole an iPad from someone or shoplifted from Walmart. This is what happens when she wants something but can't get it.

I'm annoyed with this. I mean it's great to want things and aspire to have them. But we have expenses to pay for and we barely have enough money and time to ourselves. Sometimes she'll spend $100 or so on shoes and we have to fight about expenses.

Please help me understand why she is doing this.

TLDR: Girlfriend wants whatever she sees and sometimes goes to extremes to get what she wants. Even stealing. She buys things without my knowledge even after I disagree. She wants the newest most expensive things without realizing we have rent to pay.
Welp

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

My (25 M) GF (23 F) wants the most ridiculously expensive things and she already has so much. She wants to buy the iPhone X and when I said no, she threw a fit.

Welp

"If I just understand it, then I can fix it and our relationship will be perfect!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Snoo posted:

I don't wanna be a bitch but drugs and clothes are different situations

Yeah, even in Portland it's still a federal crime. You can be not ok with crimes, that's not abusive, to object to crimes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Palpek posted:

Welp

Congrats on dating an actual crow.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blarzgh posted:

Ultimatums, insults, yelling, threatening to break up - these are tools that people can use to abuse others.

Y'all have to stop believing that life happens without context, and that everything that might make someone feel bad is "abuse."

Wrong, as a goon I am a state machine that takes in inputs, processes them based on poorly coded heuristics approximating how iI think neurotypicals think, then react. There is no room for backseat thinking!

Palpek posted:

Welp

the iphone x isn't even good. face id is dumb and people are releasing apps that reduce the usable screen size because the notch ruins wallpapers http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-wallpaper-hides-the-notch-2017-11

(rather than just making it a few mm smaller and lowering cost. sad!)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

maskenfreiheit posted:

the iphone x isn't even good. face id is dumb and people are releasing apps that reduce the usable screen size because the notch ruins wallpapers http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-wallpaper-hides-the-notch-2017-11

(rather than just making it a few mm smaller and lowering cost. sad!)
Somebody should link this to the guy, it could save his otherwise perfect relationship.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

even in Portland it's still a federal crime

there are many incongruencies between state and federal law in this country, selecting this particular example exposes your anti-marijuana bias, a bias not rooted in science.

also, most people violate several laws every day.

leave the key to your airbnb in the mailbox? crime

cross the street outside a crosswalk? crime

in many states more than 4 women living in a house is technically a brothel and illegal. (Off campus housing? crime!)

using the violence of the state to enforce your personal preferences is abusive Pick

My gf believes that earth is flat, I’m about to break up with her. (self.dating_advice)

quote:

(Update: before I said I wanted to break up with her, she said she doesn’t have emotions for me anymore,because We haven’t hung out for 3 days)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wait, so what was the girlfriend drugging him with? She didn't even know? How is that possible? "Hello Mr. Chemist I'd like some drug please. It's to drug my boyfriend, he's 160lb. Thank you for the drug!"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

Wait, so what was the girlfriend drugging him with? She didn't even know? How is that possible? "Hello Mr. Chemist I'd like some drug please. It's to drug my boyfriend, he's 160lb. Thank you for the drug!"

it's insanely easy to get a benzo script.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Maybe this goes deeper than he knows. If she can casually get access to Mystery Drugs (tm), then that indicates people in her social circle could offer as much.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's insanely easy to get a benzo script.

Or that

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blarzgh posted:

"Your ultimatum that you will break up with me if I cheat on you is nothing short of abuse."

Outrail posted:

Claiming to not know and lying about knowing in hopes that will get you in less trouble are different things. I'm guessing its the latter in this case.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

It's trivial to get access to most drugs if dude's girlfriend works in a doctor's office/hospital or has a friend who does. Run-of-the-mill stuff like, yeah, benzos are passed around like candy if you know the right people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

She's the kind of retard that would poison her bf's food with drugs as a prank. It's not a stretch to consider that her stupidity goes so far that she would get that drug from a random friend with a scientific description of "give him THIS, it will knock him out for hours".

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Benzo's are super bitter though. I'd think you'd taste them if someone had crushed them up and added them to your food. I imagine it would take more than one to knock someone out like that.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jon joe posted:

Maybe this goes deeper than he knows. If she can casually get access to Mystery Drugs (tm), then that indicates people in her social circle could offer as much.

She used forget me nows to put him in a roofie loop.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

almightyerin posted:

Benzo's are super bitter though. I'd think you'd taste them if someone had crushed them up and added them to your food. I imagine it would take more than one to knock someone out like that.

you add them to a drink you fool... you utter FOOL

Everyone in my [22F] life hates my boyfriend [25M], What should I do?

quote:

Some clarification is that my entire family and all my friends don't like him. They think he is manipulative, lazy, selfish and a waste of time.

Furthermore, I met him when we worked for the same company, he quit as he felt he was being bullied by his Supervisor (called a liar, told he was wrong ect.) And has been job hunting for the past year and 3 months. I am quite close with my collegues and they feel similar to my family.

Lastly, my friends think he is a deadbeat and a waste of time.

Our relationship is a difficult one, I couldnt tell you why because our fights tend to go on for hours (4-8 hours) at a time, are exhausting emotionally and difficult to follow.

The general gist is he thinks I'm selfish, a liar, and that I say nasty things to hurt him (such as bringing up the job he had with the bully Supervisor, reminding him that he has no job and people in my life don't like him.) I just want to see him show compassion and understanding, not to swear, call me names during fights or tell me things like "you're wrong and I demand you apologise."

Overall we have a lot of good memories too, he adores me, we have a lot of fun together in person.

A few key notes is that I am a social person but he has social anxiety so whenever we are in public he gets angry easily, so events, friends parties and anything social is a no go. He smokes a fair amount of weed (about $270 a fornight?) And he wont come to my house as my family dislikes him. So I drive the hour each way to his.

Not sure if relevant but he did have a job interview my Mother set up for him at a good job, he didnt go as the night before he had an anxiety attack and was unable to be calmed down.

TL;DR: Everyone hates my boyfriend. Thinks hes abusive, manipulative, a deadbeat ect. Not sure if they're wrong or if I'm being dicked around.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 13, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

almightyerin posted:

If she carefully built up a reputation for being a poo poo cook it wouldn't be an issue.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

If she carefully built up a reputation for being a poo poo cook it wouldn't be an issue.

i will never accept an almond pie i haven't baked myself

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

you add them to a drink you fool... you utter FOOL

Everyone in my [22F] life hates my boyfriend [25M], What should I do?

He should break up with her for the fact that she used the word 'fornight'.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Palpek posted:

I've been the girl in the situation, sort of. Except I had been struggling with my sexuality for years, and had finally come out to my fiancé after a 6 year relationship. I admitted that I did want to explore that side of myself while I was still young. Just a one time thing to say that I did it and I had the experience, and it would also quell any lingering, internal "doubts".

But nothing ever happened. I realized that I didn't want to risk my relationship by doing something stupid. And so I've made peace with the fact that I will never get to explore that side of myself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Buzkashi posted:

I once had a girlfriend who put a prescription-strength Orajel on the tip of her tongue and gave me a huge, sloppy kiss that left me numb and drooling for like an hour. That was a fun drug prank comparatively.

Yeah that is actually an example of a hilarious, fun, and relatively harmless drug prank. I bet she was a fun person.

Just LOL at drugging your partner with something and you don't even know what it is though. Jesus christ.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

Gotta be a pretty bitter drink.

Maybe that's why she did it? She got into a debate with someone over whether or not you could taste crushed up pills and decided to try it on her boyfriend.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

almightyerin posted:

Gotta be a pretty bitter drink.

Maybe that's why she did it? She got into a debate with someone over whether or not you could taste crushed up pills and decided to try it on her boyfriend.

Anybody who winds up having that debate is someone I don't want to be involved with.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

therobit posted:

Anybody who winds up having that debate is someone I don't want to be involved with.

You test that poo poo on yourself, dont use your loved ones and Guinea Pigs. Duh.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Palpek posted:

Welp

Can someone explain why women love the iPhone Plus so much? It seems like almost all the women I know have the plus in a giant tank case and the phone is already absurdly large without a giant case in large man hands. Is it because they can just shove it in their purse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nessa posted:

I've been the girl in the situation, sort of. Except I had been struggling with my sexuality for years, and had finally come out to my fiancé after a 6 year relationship. I admitted that I did want to explore that side of myself while I was still young. Just a one time thing to say that I did it and I had the experience, and it would also quell any lingering, internal "doubts".

But nothing ever happened. I realized that I didn't want to risk my relationship by doing something stupid. And so I've made peace with the fact that I will never get to explore that side of myself.

i sympathize, but being bisexual isn't a license to cheat. everyone has people other than their partner they are attracted to.

i was a late bloomer and didn't really get to hook up with many hot co-eds when i was in college. now that i'm in my late 20s should i be able to tell my partner i want a pass to bang the hot barista who gave me her number because i'm "young" and "never got to experience that"?

Three Olives posted:

Can someone explain why women love the iPhone Plus so much? It seems like almost all the women I know have the plus in a giant tank case and the phone is already absurdly large without a giant case in large man hands. Is it because they can just shove it in their purse?

plus they can get a little wallet thing with all their credit cards so it's kind of like those clutches old grandmas used to put their lighter and 100s in