Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

OutofSight posted:

Are "Corporate Shamans" established like corporate wage mages in the universe? Do they follow the "Sprit of Capitalism" or can the big animal totems like coyote or bear be reworked for the corporate environment?

They exist, but not to the extent that Corporate Mages do.

It depends on the Totem. For instance, you'd have to explain the mental gymnastics that would be required to convince me that a Dragonslayer Shaman would work for a major corp.

Dog Shamans could be explained, as they embody loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

"Shaman" is a general term that really doesn't apply in the later tabletop editions, but yeah, there are. Wuxing in particular has tons of magical firepower, complete with their own magical tradition/favored spirits/feng shui techniques. Wuxing corporate buildings tend to look like huge pillars of light to magical senses, because of the deliberate mage work built into them from the architectural level.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

wiegieman posted:

"Shaman" is a general term that really doesn't apply in the later tabletop editions, but yeah, there are.

This hits on something that I've been wondering about with respect to time in the setting. When I played Shadowrun tabletop, it was 3rd edition. Most of the stuff that happens in the SRR games is set before the metaplot of 3rd edition, so the games have felt like they're... almost prequels to the "world" of SR that I know. So what the hell must these games' settings seem like to anyone who started in 4th or 5th, given how much time passed in the metaplot for those editions?

(Also, why are there no shamans in later editions...?)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There are tons of shamans in the later editions. I think they're trying to say the distinction between mage and shaman doesn't matter as much mechanically. It's mostly a flavor thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

In 5th edition, people with magic powers are classified in four ways:

Both a respected Salish-Sidhe Council tribal shaman and a serious heavyweight corp mage would be Magicians. Magicians can assense, project, use sorcery, conjure up spirits, enchant, whatever.

Aspected Magicians can use one of Sorcery, Conjuring, or Enchanting, and can perceive the astral but can't project into it.

Adepts use their magic to increase their physical abilities and get a number of Power Points equal to their Magic stat to buy Adept Powers, which are always active and reflect their idealized self-image. Adepts can't astrally perceive without a specific power, and can never astrally project.

Mystic Adepts are a cross between Adepts and full Magicians - they get both power points and spells, but they don't get PP for free like adepts do. MA's can only perceive if they buy the Adept power for it and can never astrally project, but they can summon spirits to do astral things for them so it's not the problem for them that it is for an Aspected Magician. MA's and Adepts can also get around the assensing problem by being dual-natured, which everyone infected with HMHVV is and many magical creatures like pixies are.

In Returns, Shamans and Mages are separate skill trees, with Adepts being a sub-tree of the Mage tree.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

wiegieman posted:

In 5th edition, people with magic powers are classified in four ways:

OK, I see now. That's how it is in 3rd with maybe some different terms. I thought you meant, like, in-setting something happened to make the distinction completely moot.

But yeah for anyone who's never played the tabletop, the way the SRR games define shamans and mages is really weird from a TT perspective, where both used basically the same spells and both could summon spirits, although the kinds of spirits and the way they summoned them was the major mechanical difference. Like, the consumable items you can use to summon elementals is more or less how mages summon except it takes hours.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GunnerJ posted:

OK, I see now. That's how it is in 3rd with maybe some different terms. I thought you meant, like, in-setting something happened to make the distinction completely moot.

But yeah for anyone who's never played the tabletop, the way the SRR games define shamans and mages is really weird from a TT perspective, where both used basically the same spells and both could summon spirits, although the kinds of spirits and the way they summoned them was the major mechanical difference. Like, the consumable items you can use to summon elementals is more or less how mages summon except it takes hours.

In 5th there is also a perk that magical characters (all 4 kinds) can take if they want called mentor spirit, or something similar to that. The mentor functions like a lite version of shaman totems in older editions, giving certain magical bonuses and penalties while also suggesting personality traits for RPing your character.

wiegieman posted:

In Returns, Shamans and Mages are separate skill trees, with Adepts being a sub-tree of the Mage tree.

In Returns all three are seperate skill lines. Adepts and Mages are both subbed to willpower, but they are independent of each other.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I dont know posted:

In Returns all three are seperate skill lines. Adepts and Mages are both subbed to willpower, but they are independent of each other.

Yeah, that. Adepts aren't very good until Hong Kong.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

Hogwarts, brought to you by Mitsuhama Computer TechnologiesTM!

MCT: The Future is Mitsuhama

Ah Mitsuhama, the Yakuza front company and money laundering operation that was so successful and profitable that it eventually became a megacorp, and one of the heavy hitters when it comes to tech and magic, and like number 2 or 3 in the Japanocorps after Shiawase and maybe Renraku.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 13, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Ah Mitsuhama, the Yakuza front company and money laundering operation that was so successful and profitable that it eventually became a megacorp, and one of the heavy hitters when it comes to tech and magic.

They really only keep the Yakuza stuff going out of inertia, and to occasionally have another way to send goons after people or do other illegal things.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

Ah Mitsuhama, the Yakuza front company and money laundering operation that was so successful and profitable that it eventually became a megacorp, and one of the heavy hitters when it comes to tech and magic, and like number 2 or 3 in the Japanocorps after Shiawase and maybe Renraku.

I'm pretty sure Mitsuhama has been the largest and most powerful of the three for most of their respective histories. It certainly has been for all of 4th and 5th edition.

In fact, Mitsuhama has recently in 5e has overtaken Saeder-Krupp as #1. Lofwyr is pissed.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, that. Adepts aren't very good until Hong Kong.

Y'know, I've heard about that. Apparently, they've been fixing Adepts in each of the games so that they're a viable build, but apparently going samurai/rigger is better for combat in the first one, and samurai or mage is better in Dragonfall? What's the dealio with Adepts anyway?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

painedforever posted:

Y'know, I've heard about that. Apparently, they've been fixing Adepts in each of the games so that they're a viable build, but apparently going samurai/rigger is better for combat in the first one, and samurai or mage is better in Dragonfall? What's the dealio with Adepts anyway?

The main problem is that they have an untenable skill spread. Most classes have a main attribute, splash a few points in a second or tertiary attribute, and then pick 2-3 skill lines. Adepts need high strength for melee damage, quickness for evasion, body for health (they need to spend a lot on defensive stats since they are out of cover most of the time), will for their powers set, and then the adept powers themselves. They simply don't get enough karma. Add to this that, especially in Returns, adept powers are really underwhelming, the aforementioned class design means they are out of cover, have to spend precious ap just moving around, and you have an all around lovely class.

I still beat the hardest difficulty with one, since they were my favorite in the TT, but they have some problems.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

painedforever posted:

You have to spread your points out, and the abilities you get from Chi Casting aren't worth it in the early games. In Hong Kong there are magic weapons (with cool names!) and adept powers that are both passive and active.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I felt that playing Returns as a Troll who just punched people was more effective than trying to buy Adept powers. And more fun.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

wiegieman posted:

You have to spread your points out, and the abilities you get from Chi Casting aren't worth it in the early games. In Hong Kong there are magic weapons (with cool names!) and adept powers that are both passive and active.

I dont know posted:

The main problem is that they have an untenable skill spread. Most classes have a main attribute, splash a few points in a second or tertiary attribute, and then pick 2-3 skill lines. Adepts need high strength for melee damage, quickness for evasion, body for health (they need to spend a lot on defensive stats since they are out of cover most of the time), will for their powers set, and then the adept powers themselves. They simply don't get enough karma. Add to this that, especially in Returns, adept powers are really underwhelming, the aforementioned class design means they are out of cover, have to spend precious ap just moving around, and you have an all around lovely class.

I still beat the hardest difficulty with one, since they were my favorite in the TT, but they have some problems.

So they're monks from D&D 3.5, eh? Dex for AC and to-hit (if you get Finesse), Wis for AC, Con for HP, splash of Int for skills, and ideally non-negative Str for damage. About the only thing you don't need is Cha.

Sounds horrible, but they're at least fun to play, right? Aren't they?

I can see why they'd be underpowered. I think you could get away with a ranged samurai with low dodge if you take rifles and just full-burst anything that tries to close on you.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Wuxing corporate buildings tend to look like huge pillars of light to magical senses, because of the deliberate mage work built into them from the architectural level.

There's a great mission in Hong Kong against Wuxing that's literally just "Hey, go gently caress up their feng shui". So you have to break into a heavily secured corporate office to adjust the cubical dividers three inches to the left and poke tiny holes in the pipes in the bathroom. God drat I want to see that kind of mission played out on tabletop..

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Wuxing in particular has tons of magical firepower, complete with their own magical tradition/favored spirits/feng shui techniques. Wuxing corporate buildings tend to look like huge pillars of light to magical senses, because of the deliberate mage work built into them from the architectural level.

Stroth posted:

There's a great mission in Hong Kong against Wuxing that's literally just "Hey, go gently caress up their feng shui". So you have to break into a heavily secured corporate office to adjust the cubical dividers three inches to the left and poke tiny holes in the pipes in the bathroom. God drat I want to see that kind of mission played out on tabletop..

You've heard of "spite houses"? Wuxing and their rivals build entire spite-skyscrapers to gently caress up each other's carefully crafted feng shui.

The feng-shui-focused magic surrounding Wuxing's headquarters is so intense that the astral plane around the building sometimes becomes visible to mundane senses.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

painedforever posted:

So they're monks from D&D 3.5, eh? Dex for AC and to-hit (if you get Finesse), Wis for AC, Con for HP, splash of Int for skills, and ideally non-negative Str for damage. About the only thing you don't need is Cha.

Sounds horrible, but they're at least fun to play, right? Aren't they?

I can see why they'd be underpowered. I think you could get away with a ranged samurai with low dodge if you take rifles and just full-burst anything that tries to close on you.
They are very fun to play in tabletop at least.

Oh and pen and paper has these magical traditions to pick from:
Aboriginal
Aztec
Black Magic
Buddhism
Chaos Magic
Christian Theurgy
Druid
Egyptian
Hermetic
Hinduism
Islam
Norse
Path of the Wheel
Psionic
Qabbalism
Shaman
Shinto
Sioux
Vodou
Vicca
Wuxing
Zoroastrianism

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So the wuxing adept is basically Goku?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Coward posted:

I felt that playing Returns as a Troll who just punched people was more effective than trying to buy Adept powers. And more fun.

I did Dragonfall as a Troll Adept who just punched people. Admittedly having a better unarmed skill and cyberware might have gone further, mostly I think used the armour power and the fact that being punched makes someone stand up and be 'out of cover'

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The "aggressively redecorate to gently caress up their feng shui" is exactly the kind of fantastically mundane thing I love in my RPGs. Also disappointed that tradition list mentions Christian and Islamic traditions but not Jewish mysticism. Want to play a Nazarite :jewish:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Soylent Pudding posted:

The "aggressively redecorate to gently caress up their feng shui" is exactly the kind of fantastically mundane thing I love in my RPGs. Also disappointed that tradition list mentions Christian and Islamic traditions but not Jewish mysticism. Want to play a Nazarite :jewish:

...They did. It's spelled Qabbalism.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Oops. I looked right at it and didn't grok that it was supposed to be Kabbalah.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tylana posted:

I did Dragonfall as a Troll Adept who just punched people. Admittedly having a better unarmed skill and cyberware might have gone further, mostly I think used the armour power and the fact that being punched makes someone stand up and be 'out of cover'

Punching people out of cover is the best reason to have someone on your team who specializes in punching. It's extremely useful. Flanking enemies and punching them forces them to keep repositioning, usually to your ranged characters' benefit :v:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I had the urge to play to SR:R on the weekend and encountered some things not covered in the LP.

You can get a final bit of fluff dialogue with Mrs. Kubota during "The Union" part between the Universal Brotherhood and the Telestrian run (covered in Part 23)
You have to meet with Baron Samedi in the matrix and then go up to the main bar again instead of setting up the next runs in the runner basement. Mrs. Kubota stands near the entrance and talks about how the Seamstress Union might be threatened because bureaucracy wants to cut the power grid for touristville.

There is a jackpoint in the "Corporate Extraction" run (part 24) before the big room with the mage. But you can only interact with it after opening the door. You get a small matrix fight section and can activate the turret on the far side of the room. Quite useful if you have to flee from a certain herd of basilisks.

Kanfy posted:

I did cover the second one though, we just never used it since we didn't need to.

Or i just can't read.
Although it is still interesting, that this point is quite "buggy" only getting active with the door open. And you can then miss out snarking at Mr. corp mage. The dialogue trigger bugs out when he tries to rush you out of his room, while you are still busy hacking.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 13, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

OutofSight posted:

I had the urge to play to SR:R on the weekend and encountered some things not covered in the LP.

You can get a final bit of fluff dialogue with Mrs. Kubota during "The Union" part between the Universal Brotherhood and the Telestrian run (covered in Part 23)
You have to meet with Baron Samedi in the matrix and then go up to the main bar again instead of setting up the next runs in the runner basement. Mrs. Kubota stands near the entrance and talks about how the Seamstress Union might be threatened because bureaucracy wants to cut the power grid for touristville.

There is a jackpoint in the "Corporate Extraction" run (part 24) before the big room with the mage. But you can only interact with it after opening the door. You get a small matrix fight section and can activate the turret on the far side of the room. Quite useful if you have to flee from a certain herd of basilisks.

You're right about that first one, I must've missed that since I didn't think to run all the way back to the entrance to check with her afterwards. Good catch.

I did cover the second one though, we just never used it since we didn't need to.

Kanfy posted:

We got a whole welcoming committee waiting for us here it seems. Note the locked hatch in the back.

We could hack this panel here to activate a turret behind that hatch, but that'd require going through a Matrix section while our drones stood idle and man, all that's just too much unnecessary trouble.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Oops. I looked right at it and didn't grok that it was supposed to be Kabbalah.

As I recall that tradition is split between actual Orthodox Jewish people and the Hollywood spiritualist cult/Oliver Crowley thing.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

painedforever posted:

Adepts require multiple attribute pickups in a game where karma is precious, and their powers cost money to buy anyways despite being not that great compared to cyberware.

Dragonfall makes them a little better by giving them passives, and then Hong Kong has Cyber-Affinity which helps because you can mitigate having to spread your karma around by taking an essence worth of bioware. Muscle Augmentation is +1 Str/+1 Quickness for all of 0.25 Essence, so you can get 2 installations of the stuff and still have more room for some bioware, giving you +2 Str/+2 QN for a relatively low cost (6 karma plus a little bit of money you can easily have by being frugal with your purchases and not upgrading too many times).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

wiegieman posted:

They really only keep the Yakuza stuff going out of inertia, and to occasionally have another way to send goons after people or do other illegal things.

Why would you even need to pretend at that point? You've got extraterritoriality on your own property, so you do whatever you want there. And outside of that, sending a corp kill team after people is just normal business when you're AAA.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tradition, probably.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Why would you even need to pretend at that point? You've got extraterritoriality on your own property, so you do whatever you want there. And outside of that, sending a corp kill team after people is just normal business when you're AAA.

this is explicitly called out. a trillion-nuyen company is under no obligation to stick its neck out for a million-nuyen crime syndicate, and doesn't. that said, the connections are there, and occasionally the son who has outgrown his parent tosses the old man some work out of pity.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Tradition, probably.

Also, goodwill/reputation, I guess?

Something really interesting about Japan is how because there are so few lawyers in Japan, the Yakuza have often acted as a 'shadow' civil dispute resolution system, i.e. the guys you go to if your neighbor is refusing to pay you back money or is playing their music real loud at midnight. If it costs little-to-nothing to keep the Yakuza and their rep around, it's pretty useful to know the word on the street (and also, have the dispute resolution system in your pocket).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
don't tell anyone: this is also how literally every gang in history, in every country on the face of the planet, functions.

gangs that don't watch their local PR get sold out real fast to authorities, whether that authority's legal or just the gang the next street over. taking care of Jimmy's ma while he's in lock-up does more to keep Jimmy and his ma's mouth shut about what you're up to than any amount of threats could.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ze Pollack posted:

taking care of Jimmy's ma while he's in lock-up does more to keep Jimmy and his ma's mouth shut about what you're up to than any amount of threats could.

I mean, wouldn't there also be the implicit threat of "We know who your mom is and where she lives" to that situation?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Alacron posted:

I mean, wouldn't there also be the implicit threat of "We know who your mom is and where she lives" to that situation?

oh, absolutely! getting to be the local justice system gives you all kinds of power, both soft and hard. but you kill jimmy's mom because you're worried jimmy's gonna talk, jimmy's buddies are gonna have them crises of conscience in a hurry, you've suddenly got a bunch more people who might be willing to talk, you gotta do something about them, etc, etc, this road heads direct to the time honored going-out-of-business strategy Kill Everyone Who Has Gotten Mad About The Killing Everyone.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Am I the only person who just made up his own tradition when playing Shadowrun tabletop?

In hindsight I suspect I was not supposed to get a possession tradition that summoned shadow spirits, but hey, necromancer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

I'm pretty sure Mitsuhama has been the largest and most powerful of the three for most of their respective histories. It certainly has been for all of 4th and 5th edition.

In fact, Mitsuhama has recently in 5e has overtaken Saeder-Krupp as #1. Lofwyr is pissed.

Huh, that shows me how much I've been keeping track of the rankings of the Japanacorps. I always thought Shiawase and Renraku were ranked higher, but I guess that was just bias on my part and forgetting to take into account the Arcology shutdown for the latter.

I always thought Mitsuhama was lower than the others, and their low rep in the Shadow community was due to their usual heavy handed tactics in resource extraction, including metahuman resources, their utter lack of ethics when it comes to R&D even more so than other megacorps, and their Zero Zone security policy.

Guess I need to read Market Panic and get more info on the current goings on of the Big Ten.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Am I the only person who just made up his own tradition when playing Shadowrun tabletop?

In hindsight I suspect I was not supposed to get a possession tradition that summoned shadow spirits, but hey, necromancer.
I once made a rocker mage who followed the metal tradition. Magical power through music. Naturally I had a power focus in the form of an electric guitar and the spells were selected to fit the theme. Too bad I never got to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

For the former, absolutely not, happens all the time. For the latter, your GM is a massive softy if they don't have loads of people trying to either kill your character or capture them for study.

• Locked thread