Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
What article is that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bitcoiners are literally some of the worse people on the planet

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

But again I think it can vary person to person, how you interpret it.
since the advent of the internet there was a clear distinction drawn between traders (who retain their title and are licensed) and day traders who deal with many of the same problems in a different capacity

if someone is a successful day trader, there is some implied skill insight and understanding of market forces regardless of official qualifications

people into bitcoin however are simply riding the up-up-up pre-collapse section of a ponzi scam

Uranium 235 posted:

anyway i think it's strange to think that someone who talks about day trading crypto is saying that he's a professional trader.
you didnt realize where i was leading you but "professional traders" are just "traders"
you dont consider yourself a professional trader means you dont consider yourself a trader

Uranium 235 posted:

the reason i identified myself as a day trader was to distinguish my
you referred to yourself simply as a trader numerous times and you borrow the term so it sounds like you know what youre talking about in spite of all rational thought

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 13, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Please don't distinguish between cryptocurrencies and "fiat". All of the forks have proven that the miners can do whatever the gently caress they want to existing cryptocurrencies.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jimmyjams posted:

how come noones made rear end pennies yet

I will make an rear end Pennies crypto at the slightest provocation

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

you didnt realize where i was leading you but "professional traders" are just "traders"
you dont consider yourself a professional trader means you dont consider yourself a trader
i trade so i'm a trader

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mtgox has a long history of real traders even predating bitcoin

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rufio posted:

What article is that from?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change and related comments on another forum

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

everyone with a fidelity or etrade account is a professional trader

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Bitcoin is back to $6500 :ohdear:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So are you equally super concerned about the number of servers wall street firms use for HFT and how many datacenters / how much combined power + cooling that is?

Like really, watching IT sysadmins FUD up talk about an new type of currency because "it wastes electricity!!!" is pretty amazing but here we are

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

This is all stupid and dumb but it has made me money so I dunno what to think any more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So are you equally super concerned about the number of servers wall street firms use for HFT and how many datacenters / how much combined power + cooling that is?

whats their cost per trade

edit - the more people use bitcoin, the more expensive it becomes to use. its pretty much a stupid and useless design

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

whats their cost per trade

If you have a "this is how much power bitcoin uses" im curious that you care so much about power and why? Time to bust out the articles showing how much Google and Microsoft and Amazon and the NSA and wall street firms use? Does anyone care about those either?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you have a "this is how much power bitcoin uses" im curious that you care so much about power and why? Time to bust out the articles showing how much Google and Microsoft and Amazon and the NSA and wall street firms use? Does anyone care about those either?

do you think hammering people with illogical and poorly thought arguments is going to make bitcoin any more viable as a currency?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

do you think hammering people with illogical and poorly thought arguments is going to make bitcoin any more viable as a currency?

You posted a big writeup about how much power bitcoins use. And I asked you: "Do you care about how much power other applications use, or is it just for bitcoin?" And you seem to be trying mighty hard to avoid answering the question.

Is it because you are having trouble understanding what I'm asking, or you just don't feel like answering?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You posted a big writeup about how much power bitcoins use. And I asked you: "Do you care about how much power other applications use, or is it just for bitcoin?" And you seem to be trying mighty hard to avoid answering the question.

Is it because you are having trouble understanding what I'm asking, or you just don't feel like answering?

youre asking a question unrelated to the point of the article and my post

the cost of using bitcoin goes up as more people use bitcoin. it is completely insane and not based in any economic reality.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

youre asking a question unrelated to the point of the article and my post

the cost of using bitcoin goes up as more people use bitcoin. it is completely insane and not based in any economic reality.

Ah so it's just "vague FUD that sounds good when doing a really detailed analysis of one thing but not comparing it to existing applications that use far more power and are scaling just fine because it turns out its not as much of a problem as I'm presenting"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
those other companies are using electricity to provide service. proof of work on the other hand is actually proof of wasted electricity

it would be nice if there was a coin that put a really low requirement on blockchain verification accuracy (hashes a hundredth as difficult as they currently are) but also include foldingathome protein folding data in there encoded in a way that the work can be quickly verified by the next person verifying a block. then its not simply waste. and even if you dont get your block verification submitted in first to win the coin you at least did some nice foldingathome work that is still useful

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You posted a big writeup about how much power bitcoins use. And I asked you: "Do you care about how much power other applications use, or is it just for bitcoin?"

I'm pretty sure payment card transactions use significantly less than $25 of electricity and don't charge $5-8 in fees per transaction on top of that. Visa and Mastercard are horrible in their own ways, but nothing uses nearly as much electricity per transaction, which was the point, because holy poo poo crypto is stupid inefficient.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah so it's just "vague FUD that sounds good when doing a really detailed analysis of one thing but not comparing it to existing applications that use far more power and are scaling just fine because it turns out its not as much of a problem as I'm presenting"

no one gives a poo poo about electricity usage as some kind of odd moral concern, this is about cost per transaction which grows as bitcoins scales up

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

it would be nice if there was a coin that put a really low requirement on blockchain verification accuracy (hashes a hundredth as difficult as they currently are) but also include foldingathome protein folding data in there encoded in a way that the work can be quickly verified by the next person verifying a block. then its not simply waste. and even if you dont get your block verification submitted in first to win the coin you at least did some nice foldingathome work that is still useful

It sounds like you want Gridcoin.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Stealthgerbil posted:

It sounds like you want Gridcoin.
a cursory glance at the wikipedia summary makes me think bitcoin supporters should immediately trash bitcoin and move to that one instead, yes

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

I'm pretty sure payment card transactions use significantly less than $25 of electricity and don't charge $5-8 in fees per transaction on top of that. Visa and Mastercard are horrible in their own ways, but nothing uses nearly as much electricity per transaction, which was the point, because holy poo poo crypto is stupid inefficient.

Visa and Mastercard charge 2-4% of every single transaction in fees, which is pretty amazing that it gets glossed over in these discussions.

So you see, cryptocoins are terrible, don't trade them or try to use them and they will never displace fiat money because 8 transactions per second, ponzi scheme, and now more power than Nigeria.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Visa and Mastercard charge 2-4% of every single transaction in fees, which is pretty amazing that it gets glossed over in these discussions.

So you see, cryptocoins are terrible, don't trade them or try to use them and they will never displace fiat money because 8 transactions per second, ponzi scheme, and now more power than Nigeria.

So any bitcoin transaction under $833 is more expensive than using Visa at 3% fee. Assuming bitcoin is ever used to purchase goods and services.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can't buy drugs with a credit card

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

So any bitcoin transaction under $833 is more expensive than using Visa at 3% fee. Assuming bitcoin is ever used to purchase goods and services.

Or phrased another way "Cryptocurrencies, even in their nascence with most of the technical problems unsolved, were a viable alternative to existing credit cards for transactions above $750"

So right now that means hardcore people can use Visa for small transactions and cryptocurrencies for larger purchases, and both would serve a purpose. And that's in 2017.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

*mumbles something avout heat death of the universe*

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Or phrased another way "Cryptocurrencies, even in their nascence with most of the technical problems unsolved, were a viable alternative to existing credit cards for transactions above $750"

So right now that means hardcore people can use Visa for small transactions and cryptocurrencies for larger purchases, and both would serve a purpose. And that's in 2017.

As long as you're ok with 0 consumer protections and hoping that your merchant bothers to accept crypto, which they won't.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

As long as you're ok with 0 consumer protections and hoping that your merchant bothers to accept crypto, which they won't.

And clearly there's enough call for these potential and current uses that the number of people buying, mining, and level of overall interest in cryptocurrencies is reflected in their price

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

People are buying it and mining it because they think they can get rich, not because they want to use it for anything

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

People are buying it and mining it because they think they can get rich, not because they want to use it for anything

Get this: maybe there's all kinds of people interested in cryptocurrencies and between all of them that provides enough of a use case that the price of the currency is reflecting rising interest in cryptocurrencies

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Inept posted:

People are buying it to spend right away on drugs

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A better option is to cash out your 401K to invest in bitconnect. Bitconnect is totally not a ponzi scheme but pays 0.25% per day via a bunch of companies and people that won't identify themselves. They are also paying 6%+ commission on referrals who also make money when their referral makes money. The concept that a non-compounding 91.25% per annum is legitimate in a world where bond rates are in the 2% or less region is a big ask. However I've found this guy who wants to cash out is 401K and become a millionaire from Bitconnect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qEdjVA6sv0

This guy is pumping bitconnect hard. He put in $100 and 170 days later he has $425k. Nothing at all suspicious here. Totally not scam or ponzi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-w50tCI6I

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Can someone just send me some drugs? Let's cut out this whole bitcoin middleman bullshit.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

poverty goat posted:

You can't buy drugs with a credit card
What, your dealer doesn't use Square, PayPal, and Facebook Pay?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Even vendors of legal drugs like kratom won't take normal payment methods because junkies will chargeback scam them

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Digiconomist

Is this a Digimon spinoff?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like really, watching IT sysadmins FUD up talk about an new type of currency because "it wastes electricity!!!" is pretty amazing but here we are

bro

quote:

At some rough cost of $0.10 per kWh, that's creating a cost of $25 per transaction.

You know how many trillions of financial transactions there are every day?

What are we gonna build a Dyson sphere for Ron Paul coins?

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 13, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
e: ops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

kolby posted:

Can someone just send me some drugs? Let's cut out this whole bitcoin middleman bullshit.

Utopia is just beyond the coin, my friend.