Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not a big fan of thunderbolt, but the latest manga revelation that The bad guys plan is to steal the solar ray system and nuke Anaheim Electronics is pretty neat.

I can't believe it this long for someone to finally go "Hey maybe we should take out those war profiteering fucks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like/d thunderbolt. Second season of the OVA was pretty tepid tho.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

I'm not a big fan of thunderbolt, but the latest manga revelation that The bad guys plan is to steal the solar ray system and nuke Anaheim Electronics is pretty neat.

I can't believe it this long for someone to finally go "Hey maybe we should take out those war profiteering fucks"

Does Thunderbolt's version of Anaheim Electronics have a much different history or something? In normal UC they didn't even start designing and producing mobile suits till after the One Year War. I know Thunderbolt extended the war, so they might have started earlier, but for them to have a history of war profiteering they'd have had to start before the war even.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

tsob posted:

Does Thunderbolt's version of Anaheim Electronics have a much different history or something? In normal UC they didn't even start designing and producing mobile suits till after the One Year War. I know Thunderbolt extended the war, so they might have started earlier, but for them to have a history of war profiteering they'd have had to start before the war even.

I heard someone say that Thunderbolt is kinda sorta an alternate universe \ not canon? Is that true? In Thunderbolt, the OYW last more than one year? Because you know, that would actually make sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

It kind of depends on how much of the supplemental material you follow. They were a general manufacturing company in the OYW, but supposedly made things like tanks and space colonies in addition to refrigerators and cars. One of the side stories goes so far as to say that the Guncannon, Guntank, and Gundam were all built by Anaheim under Tem Rey's oversight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Thunderbolt takes place in the regular Gundam UC canon except when it doesn't

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does the OVA strictly follow the manga? Just wondering what all the spoilered stuff could be spoiling, anime stuff, manga stuff or both.

Glad I held off on buying December Sky though. Free to watch dubbed on Gundam Info as of yesterday it seems. Gotta get on that when I have an hour to spare. Now if they just stop charging me nearly $100 for the next movie coming out in December, I might buy it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Does the OVA strictly follow the manga? Just wondering what all the spoilered stuff could be spoiling, anime stuff, manga stuff or both.

Glad I held off on buying December Sky though. Free to watch dubbed on Gundam Info as of yesterday it seems. Gotta get on that when I have an hour to spare. Now if they just stop charging me nearly $100 for the next movie coming out in December, I might buy it.

Mostly. It trims a few bits, and adds some anime-original content here and there to fill in gaps and flesh out the characters. Most stuff to do with A Baoa Qu was created for the anime.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Improbable Lobster posted:

Thunderbolt takes place in the regular Gundam UC canon except when it doesn't

So basically everything is not UC.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Infected posted:

So basically everything is not UC.

The only things that really break canon (in the first season at least) are the Full Armour Gundam and Psycho Zaku

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The only things that really break canon (in the first season at least) are the Full Armour Gundam and Psycho Zaku

Really? They both seem pretty appropriate for their time period and the resources at their organisations’ disposal. The Psycho Zaku in particular is downright underwhelming considering it was completed shortly before the Zeong.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? They both seem pretty appropriate for their time period and the resources at their organisations disposal. The Psycho Zaku in particular is downright underwhelming considering it was completed shortly before the Zeong.

I agree but the two of them are the usual sticking point for when people argue about Thunderbolt being canon or not.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I agree but the two of them are the usual sticking point for when people argue about Thunderbolt being canon or not.

But the Alex having a 360 degree view cockpit is fine?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

But the Alex having a 360 degree view cockpit is fine?

The Alex is presented as a top-of-the-line prototype designed to give Amuro Ray every edge possible that isn't even done testing when the war's out. It's like the Zeong, the next wave of weapons.

Meanwhile, the Full Armor is combat ready, but sent out in the boonies for a pilot without the kind of record that would normally merit flying a superweapon.

Even if you accept both, they come in different contexts. A better comparison would probably be the 0083 stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Technologically, the Full Armor Gundam is an RX-78 with a bunch of poo poo bolted to it, which is extremely similar to the ancient Full Armor Gundam MSV that's been around forever. It doesn't really do anything out of line for mid-late OYW suits and it's not even a brand new Gundam design like the Alex is; it's just another RX-78 equipped with parts for battle in the Thunderbolt zone like the GMs. Keep in mind they had so many RX-78 parts lying around in the OYW that they built Ground Gundams out of a lot of them.

The Full Armor Gundam being sent to Io makes total sense even in the context of the setting. The Moore Brotherhood is portrayed as having a vast amount of financial resources and political pull(which is how they managed to get a fleet seconded to retake a destroyed colony sector to begin with), so getting an end-of-war prototype shunted their way as part of the final push to reclaim their homeland fits pretty nicely into that. As for it being assigned to Io, Io was simply one of the last remaining actually experienced pilots at the Moore Brotherhood's disposal when the Full Armor Gundam arrived. It helps that he's a person of importance(son of the former leader of side 4, related to rich industralists) and also managed to prove himself a hotshot by not only surviving seeming instant death but also jacking an enemy suit to return home with.

The Psycho Zaku's equipment set is basic as gently caress and boils down to "a bunch of bazookas", so the only weird thing about it is the control system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Gundam Versus as a series actually has a bunch of the old Virtual On crew working on it. Plus, you know, the nearly identical core mechanics too.
:swoon:

I need a PS4

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah, the Psycho Zaku comes off as a pet project that happened because one person got way too invested in having peg-legged folks piloting mobile suits, despite how psycommus would achieve the same or similar results without having to hack off all of your limbs.

And beyond that, it's a Zaku II with a lot of bazookas and machine guns (and I guess a beam rifle too if Gundam Versus is accurate).

... Hm, why didn't they just make a Psycho Gelgoog anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaX posted:

Yeah, the Psycho Zaku comes off as a pet project that happened because one person got way too invested in having peg-legged folks piloting mobile suits, despite how psycommus would achieve the same or similar results without having to hack off all of your limbs.

And beyond that, it's a Zaku II with a lot of bazookas and machine guns (and I guess a beam rifle too if Gundam Versus is accurate).

That’s a beam bazooka taken from a Rick Dom. The Reuse [P] experiments were one of many attempts to get Newtype-like performance out of non-Newtypes - the Living Dead were early precursors to the Cyber-Newtypes of the Gryps Conflict. As for why there was never a Psycho Gelgoog, I’d assume that’s because the South Seas Brotherhood got the designer of the Reuse [P] System before he could get his work past the proof-of-concept stage and acquire himself a proper budget.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

The Gelgoog was produced in (relatively) limited numbers at the very rear end-end of the war and by that point they were shipping every single one they could to the front lines. It is why there are relatively few Gelgoog variants in general and most of them are just strapping extra boosters to it and calling it a day. The Zaku was used a testbed for a lot of things because it is a reliable and easily modified machine.

I mean the OOC reason is "Zaku sells, Gelgoog smells" but you know, it's justified in-canon.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Zaku was used a testbed for a lot of things because it is a reliable and easily modified machine.

Also because there was no shortage of them I would imagine.

Though if we're to take 0083 canon for gospel apparently the Zaku was the only Zeon suit suitable for induction into the EFSF arsenal. :3:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

didn't the psycho-zaku have like, dom legs or something?

the whole point of it was it's kind of a strapped-together-out-of-whatever-we-had-laying-around robot, because they weren't planning on actually having to deploy a robot with the reuse system until they were done with their research. unfortunately for them, the federation launched a pretty major offensive that required all hands on deck to attempt to repel. the scientists were going to be put on the frontlines alongside soldiers, but convinced their superior that they could use the research they HAD done to cobble together a quick superrobot out of spare parts instead. they didn't just have a gelgoog laying around, so they grabbed a zaku and shoved whatever they could on it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

didn't the psycho-zaku have like, dom legs or something?

the whole point of it was it's kind of a strapped-together-out-of-whatever-we-had-laying-around robot, because they weren't planning on actually having to deploy a robot with the reuse system until they were done with their research. unfortunately for them, the federation launched a pretty major offensive that required all hands on deck to attempt to repel. the scientists were going to be put on the frontlines alongside soldiers, but convinced their superior that they could use the research they HAD done to cobble together a quick superrobot out of spare parts instead. they didn't just have a gelgoog laying around, so they grabbed a zaku and shoved whatever they could on it.

Nope, it’s a standard High Mobility Zaku with a shitload of extras booted on.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What I find interesting is that the Psycho Zaku and FA Gundam are optimized for zero-g in a way other suits aren't. They'd fall apart on Earth.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mimir posted:

What I find interesting is that the Psycho Zaku and FA Gundam are optimized for zero-g in a way other suits aren't. They'd fall apart on Earth.

For how much that seemed like what they were going for, in S2 the Atlas Gundam with the flimsy-looking arms flailing it's giant banana rockets around looks weird.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

For how much that seemed like what they were going for, in S2 the Atlas Gundam with the flimsy-looking arms flailing it's giant banana rockets around looks weird.

I haven't seen S2, are those things the predecessors of the... surfboards? that everyone rides in the first half of Zeta?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mimir posted:

I haven't seen S2, are those things the predecessors of the... surfboards? that everyone rides in the first half of Zeta?

A little, maybe? It can "surf," but part of it is two big rocket boosters on smaller ambulating arms that act as pseudo-offboard verniers I guess.

The big bananas hanging off it's hips are atmospheric, ground, and undersea equipment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Atlas is basically an early testbed for some of the technologies that would define Zeta-era suit design. The binders are obvious, but it’s also the missing link between fixed and movable frames.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

The Atlas is basically an early testbed for some of the technologies that would define Zeta-era suit design. The binders are obvious, but it’s also the missing link between fixed and movable frames.

Is this stated in the manga or design works or something? Cause the Altas' binders don't really work the same way as the Zeta's, rather they work like the frame equipment used by other EFSF suits in the Thunderbolt.

edit: To clarify, I can see the concepts as related, but the Atlas seems like a different developmental line than the Zeta-era EF suits, like you would get a different end result if you continued down the Atlas path.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Also because there was no shortage of them I would imagine.

Though if we're to take 0083 canon for gospel apparently the Zaku was the only Zeon suit suitable for induction into the EFSF arsenal. :3:
That decision makes sense from an in-universe perspective. The Zaku was something that the Federation could not compete with in battles against Zeon until the shenanigans with the White Base happened. Take the Zaku out of the equation, and the One Year War probably becomes even more of a stalemate, but nowhere near as lopsided in Zeon's favor. So, it is entirely believable that in a post-war Federation, the Zaku would be something they'd incorporate into their forces even just on a simple "this thing drat well proved its weight in gold during the One Year War, so of course we're going to adopt it." line of thinking. Granted, once the Titans roll on in, the Zaku's descendants (Hizack, et al.) become warped into easy tools of terror and intimidation rather than taking a proven concept and adapting it into your military forces. Or hell, you could make the argument that the Zaku even being allowed into the EFSF was the first baby step towards the Titans becoming a reality; using the mobile suit that was made famous by Zeon to send a silent message to the defeated Zeon that your best weapon against the Federation is now one of its major workhorses.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? They both seem pretty appropriate for their time period and the resources at their organisations’ disposal. The Psycho Zaku in particular is downright underwhelming considering it was completed shortly before the Zeong.

The Psycho Zaku appears less a problem to me than the "Reuse P" system, because the "Reuse P" system is almost a more advanced psycommu and certainly a more advanced one than the other quasi psycommu wired systems that have been introduced over the years, sometimes a decade or more later in the time line. It gives psycommu potential to non newtypes by connecting nerves to the suit, with the caveat that it has to be done through direct nerve connection. However, it doesn't seem like there's much of a technological leap between direct connection via limb stumps and indirect connection via some kind of skin contact and it seems like it'd just require a few months of relative peace away from the front lines
to create an oldtype psycommu anyone can use to massively enhance control of their unit in a way that not even newtypes like Amuro had via psyco-frame cockpits two decades later. The Unicorn's "NT-D" mode is really the only other thing that appears better as a technology for that particular function (direct suit control).

Darth Walrus posted:

Here too I have to question things, because the Atlas' binders appear more advanced than those they're a testbed for by your view. Not even just a little, with the difference justified by scaling back capability for the sake of cost; but the binders on the Atlas are much more maneuverable and have a kind of gimmick never seen in future entries. It'd seem like further iterations or descendants would concentrate on making the binders even more maneuverable, increasing their weapons storage facilities, adding new gimmicks to enhance the unit further; not simply become static maneuvering vanes and nothing more.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 12, 2017

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

That decision makes sense from an in-universe perspective. The Zaku was something that the Federation could not compete with in battles against Zeon until the shenanigans with the White Base happened. Take the Zaku out of the equation, and the One Year War probably becomes even more of a stalemate, but nowhere near as lopsided in Zeon's favor. So, it is entirely believable that in a post-war Federation, the Zaku would be something they'd incorporate into their forces even just on a simple "this thing drat well proved its weight in gold during the One Year War, so of course we're going to adopt it." line of thinking. Granted, once the Titans roll on in, the Zaku's descendants (Hizack, et al.) become warped into easy tools of terror and intimidation rather than taking a proven concept and adapting it into your military forces. Or hell, you could make the argument that the Zaku even being allowed into the EFSF was the first baby step towards the Titans becoming a reality; using the mobile suit that was made famous by Zeon to send a silent message to the defeated Zeon that your best weapon against the Federation is now one of its major workhorses.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't know where to ask this but considering this does affect Gundam games (and games with Gundams in them) I thought I may as well ask here - I'm planning on getting SRW V, which means making a PSN account on an Asian country (I think?) and getting codes, right? I'm not 100% sure on what the hell I'm meant to do here, so...umm, help/tips/whatever please.

Also maybe the SD Gundam game there would be nice too. I enjoyed the PSP ones. And you people seem to like another Gundam game...Breakers, is it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know where to ask this but considering this does affect Gundam games (and games with Gundams in them) I thought I may as well ask here - I'm planning on getting SRW V, which means making a PSN account on an Asian country (I think?) and getting codes, right? I'm not 100% sure on what the hell I'm meant to do here, so...umm, help/tips/whatever please.

Also maybe the SD Gundam game there would be nice too. I enjoyed the PSP ones. And you people seem to like another Gundam game...Breakers, is it?

The Super Robot Wars thread can hook you up!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is all my personal opinion but Gundam Breaker is a decent proof of concept but not so great as a game. Gundam Breaker 2 is where I personally would say the series peaked, they fixed every complaint I had about the first game and added a basic story. Gundam Breaker 3 adds some interesting new features but also oversimplifies the build system considerably. I can forgive the system and all the groan-worthy ~anime~ changes to the story but what really drags the game down is for some reason the enemies have way too much health which removes a lot of the tactics and build strategy because even the most basic of mooks take a ridiculous number of hits and you end up just spamming whichever attack is fastest. It's a shame really because it's the only one on PS4.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Monaghan posted:

I love this comic since star trek characters and the x-men have such vastly different character designs. The trek guys look sort of dumpy and they're standing next to the early nineties x-men, who all looked liked roided up bodybuilders. It's hilarious.

What's even funnier is the idea that Data was able to take on/fight both Wolverine and Colossus in Second Contact.

The resulting nerd arguments were the funny part, not the nonsensical bit where two characters that regularly slaughter robots by the hundreds would have any trouble at all with Data.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

This is all my personal opinion but Gundam Breaker is a decent proof of concept but not so great as a game. Gundam Breaker 2 is where I personally would say the series peaked, they fixed every complaint I had about the first game and added a basic story. Gundam Breaker 3 adds some interesting new features but also oversimplifies the build system considerably. I can forgive the system and all the groan-worthy ~anime~ changes to the story but what really drags the game down is for some reason the enemies have way too much health which removes a lot of the tactics and build strategy because even the most basic of mooks take a ridiculous number of hits and you end up just spamming whichever attack is fastest. It's a shame really because it's the only one on PS4.

The thing I disliked about GB2 was the lack of enemy variety. It seemed like every level was full of just RX-78 and Strike over and over again. Otherwise I agree with you, 3 backslid a little in a number of ways.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What's even funnier is the idea that Data was able to take on/fight both Wolverine and Colossus in Second Contact.

The resulting nerd arguments were the funny part, not the nonsensical bit where two characters that regularly slaughter robots by the hundreds would have any trouble at all with Data.

Data's reputation for physical strength is known even in the Klingon empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQDRxs5Nzk

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RillAkBea posted:

GB3 was infinitely better in terms of build variety because it added actual scaling to option weapons, which GB2 lacked entirely. All of those cool parts with built in weapons were loving useless in GB2 because you couldn't upgrade or improve their base line damage in any way, which meant that past a very quickly surpassed point they did nothing. Considering that an absolutely enormous part of what makes parts unique is their built in gimmicks, this is a glaring oversight that basically shoots customization in the face. GB3 added the ability to scale option part damage so suddenly you could viably play the hardest difficulties with mechs reliant on built-in weaponry, which opened up a gigantic galaxy of build options to play with. For that alone, it is an immeasurably superior game. It also made upgrading and refining parts much, much, much less of a dumb chore.

That said, GB2's story is so loving dumb and fun that it's still loving amazing. GB3's got some fun bits but it's very paint by numbers story-wise.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2017

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Kanos posted:

GB3 was infinitely better in terms of build variety because it added actual scaling to option weapons, which GB2 lacked entirely. All of those cool parts with built in weapons were loving useless in GB2 because you couldn't upgrade or improve their base line damage in any way, which meant that past a very quickly surpassed point they did nothing. Considering that an absolutely enormous part of what makes parts unique is their built in gimmicks, this is a glaring oversight that basically shoots customization in the face. GB3 added the ability to scale option part damage so suddenly you could viably play the hardest difficulties with mechs reliant on built-in weaponry, which opened up a gigantic galaxy of build options to play with. For that alone, it is an immeasurably superior game. It also made upgrading and refining parts much, much, much less of a dumb chore.

That said, GB2's story is so loving dumb and fun that it's still loving amazing. GB3's got some fun bits but it's very paint by numbers story-wise.

I don't know if it's been changed in patches but at launch option parts could be vastly more powerful than your actual melee or ranged options. I don't remember the exact number or maths but essentially the bonus caps for option parts were higher and there were more parts you could put those bonuses on. For me though it gave suits a lot more flavour, you spent more time picking parts because of what makes them unique instead of them having better numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Unicorn, 00 and AGE coming to Bluray with "existing" English dubs.

I am...slightly tempted to buy AGE. I dunno if the dub will be any good or if it's like some of the other Asian English dubs I've seen from places like Animax. I guess if it's terrible that would fit AGE perfectly. I just want to see why everyone agrees AGE is bad. In my experience such agreement across all the fandom is unprecedented.