Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Monk set was frustratingly slow and I had horrible luck on basically all rolls so I said gently caress it and started a dh, just aiming for shadow so I can speed through some 70+ grifts and start piling on gear the monk can also use, and I'm just gonna shoot for sunwoko.

it's sort of ridiculous how much more quickly the dh is coming online - in just a few leech runs I've got 4pieces of shadow set, belt, dagger, both rings and amulet.

with just junk filling in the blanks, I can still probably run higher rifts than the monk with a full set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I found SWK Bells to be great for speed running as a monk. Just one shot the whole screen at GR70, and this is without Focus/Restraint. Downside is you will randomly just die because you have 0 toughness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doing the barb with IK and didn't realize there was a rune to make my murder bros give me rage. I feel real dumb.

Also I'm hopeless on the WD challenge .

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
While I believe it, the impale DH is probably the easiest build to get online and into the end game. So that speaks more to how easy DH is to build out than the monk, I'd say.

euphronius posted:

Doing the barb with IK and didn't realize there was a rune to make my murder bros give me rage. I feel real dumb.

Do it with a group and you can generally accidentally complete it before you even know what you are doing.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 13, 2017

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

You can basically run up to each elite pack, use lmb, then rmb, and wait for pets to kill them. Use Spirit Walk for mobility and keep Soul Harvest up so the pets do more damage. You can also search on YouTube for "Diablo Challenge Rift 20" and find many videos that break down the map, skills, and run through the rift so you can copy it. It will change in about 6 hours, so get it done before that if you can. I believe Crusader will be next.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dameius posted:

Do it with a group and you can generally accidentally complete it before you even know what you are doing.

Seriously. Do this with every challenge rift and never have to try them more than once again. Even with pubbies I've never failed to get it on the first try.

I did GR80 last night with UE multi DH and didn't even die, and it took ~6-7 min IIRC. The power creep this season is silly. That's the highest GR I've ever done but don't really know if I want to push higher. My gear is much better than some of those folks on the leaderboards, but :effort: Also I don't really enjoy doing the group "meta" for high level GRs so my gems will never be as high as those folks.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 13, 2017

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
it's also dramatically easier in a group

e;fb

90s Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 13, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
GR90 should be trivial for any class this season as long as you get the required items. They don't need to be ancient or anything.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I wouldn't say trivial. Entirely doable. I had never done IK HOTA before and it took me a few runs to kind of figure out all the pacing feels and stuff and without changing my gear at all just figuring that out was worth 20 GRs immediately.

Getting to GR 90 will require having that understanding of your build. And you can substitute player skill with more paragon as needed, as always.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

90s Shoes posted:

it's also dramatically easier in a group

e;fb

Couldn't find a group

I'll do the new one tonight in a group.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah, I'm just getting unplayable lagspikes no matter what time of day I play. I've tried switching over to the 32-bit client and it improved nothing. Is this just on my end?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Been doing impale DH but I'm missing some stuff like the jewelry so I'm fragile as all hell but I can still solo push 75+. I've kind of altered the build for now until I can finish everything by just tacking on a bunch of CC type stuff (visage of gunes for dark heart, using the cold veng rune that freezes stuff instead, etc). Works pretty okay but I have to be very aware of poo poo like ranged and charge mobs, and some rifts are so much loving worse than others.

Been pretty fun so far, up until late last night when I got my first Yangs and started thinking about my UE options only to salvage it right away while mindlessly clicking :suicide:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 13, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I spent the entirety of last season trying to get a Guard of Johanna for my Crusader hammer build.

The loving game dropped one at level 25 this time.

Do drop rates change depending on the weapon types that go with the sets? Like, for example, Johanna's Argument might come up a bit faster in Kanai's Cube this season because it goes with the Seeker of the Light build?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Noticed the barbs on leaderboards all playing IK HOTA but pre-season it seemed like the charge IK/raekor build was going to be better.

Is it a matter of that not turning out true or just people waiting until they get augments and higher gems?

I tried it out and it felt super clunky with charge but I’m also not used to it so that probably didn’t help.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't think it matters if it goes with a set or not. Certain items are more rare within a class of items (1H swords for example, little rogue and slanderer are just harder to get period vs the rest of the pool). Have a look at this page and put in your class and see how many DBs/shards it says you'd need and compare to the rest of that item class. You might have gotten lucky because other items weren't unlocked at level 25 and therefore the possible drop pool was smaller.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Vomik posted:

Noticed the barbs on leaderboards all playing IK HOTA but pre-season it seemed like the charge IK/raekor build was going to be better.

Is it a matter of that not turning out true or just people waiting until they get augments and higher gems?

I tried it out and it felt super clunky with charge but I’m also not used to it so that probably didn’t help.

Uh you get a free set of IK armor and the hammer with the season journey so.....

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm really struggling with the Meteor Firbirds wiz build. I cleared a GR70 by kiting a shitload but even down to a standard T13 i'm just getting one shotted by anything ranged.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-channeling-meteor-firebird-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12
I'm wearing this piece for piece, skill for skill, all gems 25+. Run in, freeze everything to top of APD DR then go to town. I'm taking drat near zero melee damage but some random arrow will take me out.

I'm drat near feeling the need to ditch the CoE for a RoRG and slap on Aquilas

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 13, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm really struggling with the Meteor Firbirds wiz build. I cleared a GR70 by kiting a shitload but even down to a standard T13 i'm just getting one shotted by anything ranged.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-channeling-meteor-firebird-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12
I'm wearing this piece for piece, skill for skill, all gems 25+. Run in, freeze everything to top of APD DR then go to town. I'm taking drat near zero melee damage but some random arrow will take me out.

Unity should do the same thing if that's easier for you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bamhand posted:

Unity should do the same thing if that's easier for you.

Eh, I don't solo enough to want to use Unity and I'd rather have a build I can just jump from game to game with because I'm lazy. I guess I could just store that build to randomly use.

:(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For the hota IK build what would be a good substitution of COE as a ring . I'm not using COE.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

In the vast majority of cases, you can just use CoE in a way that you don't even think about the proc. It's just a sometimes damage boost and you pretend it's not obnoxious to even have the thing. Failing that, I suppose you could go for a well rolled Stone of Jordan or something. There aren't a lot of generic damage increasing rings that match up. Sadly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Okay, so I just did a trial run with Storm Armor / Halo of Karini / Blood Bracers instead of the APD/IceArmor/Arlyse and the difference is night and day.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
SoJ with fire if you don't want to gently caress with CoE. I've literally never once tried to line up attacks with my CoE cycles though and just treat it like a flat bonus that averages out over time.

If you are feeling ballsy you can also drop the Endless Walk for focus/restraint and a hellfire with a good affix on it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
That's because Arlyse is a 60% reduction of melee damage whereas Karini is a 80% reduction of everything. However, Arlyse synergizes with ancient parthan defenders for even more DR, if you're surrounded by frozen enemies. If you kill poo poo too fast for that to happen, then Karini better.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Suspicious posted:

That's because Arlyse is a 60% reduction of melee damage whereas Karini is a 80% reduction of everything. However, Arlyse synergizes with ancient parthan defenders for even more DR, if you're surrounded by frozen enemies. If you kill poo poo too fast for that to happen, then Karini better.

Yeah I get that but the problem is spin up time on Meteor Shower. By the time it connects I lose all DR as they unfreeze and some fireball jocky on the periphery domes me. Maybe I'll have better luck with APD/Arlyse past like GR 80-90 and I've got some ancients to my name but right now its just not working while Karini/Blood is. :shrug:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That's fine. Remember you can also manually cast frost nova and it won't interrupt your channeling.

You're using blood bracers with firebird? Did you ditch a passive for galvanizing ward, or did you switch to the tal variant?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Suspicious posted:

That's fine. Remember you can also manually cast frost nova and it won't interrupt your channeling.

You're using blood bracers with firebird? Did you ditch a passive for galvanizing ward, or did you switch to the tal variant?

Deflection and Unstable. Since the Karini is so RNG and it decides to zap someone up in my poo poo I'm leaning into Unstable quite a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah stone of Jordan probably would be best looking at it .

Thanks.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Firebirds with halo of Arlyse is not great at low GR/T13. Since anything you ignite to get your 20 stack dies almost instantly you're spending most of your time with minimal DR. It starts to pick up in later levels when things live longer.

Suspicious posted:

Deflection on magic weapon most likely, replacing frost nova with sparkflint.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Paragon 400 and missing...

Traveler's Pledge
Compass Rose
Ring of Emptiness
Lakumba's Ornament

Come the gently caress on, game, lol

You screwing me hard

Also the literal last three gems I got were Trapped, Taeguk and Stricken so my legendary gems are currently ranked 15/0/0 :smuggo:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Paragon 400 and missing...

Traveler's Pledge
Compass Rose
Ring of Emptiness
Lakumba's Ornament

Come the gently caress on, game, lol

You screwing me hard

Also the literal last three gems I got were Trapped, Taeguk and Stricken so my legendary gems are currently ranked 5/0/0 :smuggo:

P600 and only Focus, no Restraint, neither Compass nor Traveler's, and just a single Unity. I have all the other parts of my build though and can get to GR80 ok.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Will Styles posted:

Firebirds with halo of Arlyse is not great at low GR/T13. Since anything you ignite to get your 20 stack dies almost instantly you're spending most of your time with minimal DR. It starts to pick up in later levels when things live longer.

Deflection on magic weapon most likely, replacing frost nova with sparkflint.

Yeah this. My damage is well north of what is appropriate for GR70/T13. I may just switch to the Tal version.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bamhand posted:

P600 and only Focus, no Restraint, neither Compass nor Traveler's, and just a single Unity. I have all the other parts of my build though and can get to GR80 ok.

Envious. Missing these 4 pieces and having no legendary gem bonuses has me stuck hard at like... 60. Oh well, at least I can control the legendary gem part.

I think I'm currently wearing a Bul Kathos Wedding Band and a Rachel's Ring of Larceny or whatever.

Power Creep Season!!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I just tried Karini firebird meteor and it was, uh, not good. No CC without frost nova. Totally at the mercy of the RNG if you'll get your DR or not. Deflection / blood bracers weren't nearly enough to compensate. Went back to Arlyse in a hurry.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Suspicious posted:

I just tried Karini firebird meteor and it was, uh, not good. No CC without frost nova. Totally at the mercy of the RNG if you'll get your DR or not. Deflection / blood bracers weren't nearly enough to compensate. Went back to Arlyse in a hurry.

I should mention I'm playing on a console. my ability to target with arcane torrent is iffy at best which also limits how many things I can get ignited

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yeah stone of Jordan probably would be best looking at it .

Thanks.

I think you'll be better off with hellfire & f/r if you don't want CoE. You'll probably need to cube an Aquila to make up for the lost DR though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
WD Arachyr Firebats....

Am I better off with a Compass Rose / Traveler's Pledge that have Socket but no crit/crit-D, or a really good Hellfire Amulet and a total trash ring that have Socket/Crit/Crit-D?

I'm not sure how good the Endless Walk set bonus is compared to the importance of the stats.

Ultimately I'll use Compass/Trav obviously, but I'm just trying to progress beyond gr60 at the moment.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
not high up there yet but so far natalyas has not been fun, kinda regretting going with DH but gonna stick with it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tokubetsu posted:

not high up there yet but so far natalyas has not been fun, kinda regretting going with DH but gonna stick with it

Swap to UE it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Nats still has the same fundamental problem, despite the bigger numbers. Only strafe works as a spender if you don't want to be tediously slow, and attack speed is a bad thing to have since strafe isn't the damage dealer, it's just used to proc Nats2.

I like how it plays, but having to actually avoid any and all attack speed buffs is absurd. The set needs a rework.