Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yak of Wrath posted:

Fox is also giving super hero horror a shot with The New Mutants so that might be interesting.

Yeah it's actually way more Fox branching out than Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You should see the New Mutants trailer. It's not even "superheroes with horror elements", it's straight up horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I&t=9s

Speaking of X-Men, this is not a poster but a real magazine cover.

Actual posters

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 13, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nihonniboku posted:

Early on they were pretty straight forward comic book action movies.

Also later on, also currently, also indefinitely into the future as well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

You should see the New Mutants trailer. It's not even "superheroes with horror elements", it's straight up horror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I&t=9s

Speaking of X-Men, this is not a poster but a real magazine cover.

Actual posters

That game night one is so lazy, you don't even need the U to get the idea

Last one is nice and creepy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

Side note: He did write a Space Mountain movie script but Disney did not pick it up. It's about future people travelling faster than light on a space train, but something went wrong because while the train can transport physical things at FTL speeds, it cannot do so to non-physical things such as the human soul.

I wonder if he's aware he stole that concept from an old Tom Robbins novel, can't recall which one, that proposed (jokingly) that the cause of jet lag was that your soul needed time to catch up to your body.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don’t know what Dark is, but that poster’s got my interest.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

precision posted:

I wonder if he's aware he stole that concept from an old Tom Robbins novel, can't recall which one, that proposed (jokingly) that the cause of jet lag was that your soul needed time to catch up to your body.

It's also in at least the radio series of Hitchhikers Guide, probably made it into the novels.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

It's that also the plot of The Jaunt?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is Jim Carrey's impersonation of Andy Kaufman really so interesting that it needs a documentary?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Nah, The Jaunt is more like that scary situation whenever "hypersleep" is in a Sci-Fi movie and there's that terrifying idea that someone was awake the whole time. Or during surgery, I guess, for a more realistic example.

The Jaunt is about how airports have teleporters or some poo poo, and some guy passes through and gets stuck and comes out the other sad crazy and white haired with long fingernails babbling about how he lived 50,000 years in the span of a second or something.

(going from memory)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Jim Carrey's impersonation of Andy Kaufman really so interesting that it needs a documentary?

Only to Jim Carrey

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Only to Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey doesn't exist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

(going from memory)

Rather accurate. The story is about a dad telling his kids a (sanitized) history of the Jaunt system, how you have to be asleep during it even if its practically instant.

Ends with one of his kids holds his breath to avoid being knocked out by gas, and he comes out having actually experienced 500,000 years.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 13, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man it seems like really bad timing on this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crows Turn Off posted:

I wouldn't have thought so either but the trailer and reviews make it seem kinda interesting. I mean, considering it'll be "free" on Netflix, I'll watch it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like Man on the Moon, but the performance wasn't so transformative that I buy the whole stuck in method thing. I'm sure it was mostly a put-on to generate publicity for the movie, and they just didn't happen to use the behind the scenes footage at the time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have you seen Jim Carrey since that movie? He's a legit crazy person now.

It's great that he's just enjoying life painting and occasionally making a movie, but dude genuinely has broke-brain now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like it was more like Eternal Sunshine or The Number 23 where he went nuts, dated tramps and believed in inoculation conspiracy theories. I actually feel like he's better now than in previous years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

I feel like it was more like Eternal Sunshine or The Number 23 where he went nuts, dated tramps and believed in inoculation conspiracy theories. I actually feel like he's better now than in previous years.

Yeah it's this. He's not as crazy now as he was at that point. Looks like his last good movie was Philip Morris in 2009, though his part in Kick-rear end 2 was good (2013), it's just a shame that movie is so bad in general.

e: actually The Bad Batch might be good, it sure sounds just insane enough to be interesting, and also has Keanu Reeves as a Burning Man rave cult leader apparently

precision fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Have you seen Jim Carrey since that movie? He's a legit crazy person now.

It's great that he's just enjoying life painting and occasionally making a movie, but dude genuinely has broke-brain now.

The Norm MacDonald interview with him is pretty depressing. Dude is gone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wendell posted:

I don’t know what Dark is, but that poster’s got my interest.

It's a German horror movie involving time travel. That's I can tell from the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0b9e40tK8

edit:
Spot the name who's not going to be in next iteration of this poster.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 14, 2017

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I hope it's Sandler!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

IIRC he gave his girlfriend the herpes, broke up with her, and was pressuring her into signing an NDA for a payout when she committed suicide on pills that he may or may not have supplied her (all according to the girlfriend's parents).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
His brain seemed pretty goddamn broken in interviews around Kick-rear end 2 and yeah that movie was horrid.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like Man on the Moon, but the performance wasn't so transformative that I buy the whole stuck in method thing. I'm sure it was mostly a put-on to generate publicity for the movie, and they just didn't happen to use the behind the scenes footage at the time.

Carrey attempted during filming to make it seem like he had become Kaufman. He and Jerry Lawler staged a fight, a la the famous Lawler-Kaufman fight on Letterman. Carrey also tried to make people on the set think he had totally believed he was Andy Kaufman.

But since it was 1996 and not the early 1980s and everybody knew that it was all movie hype.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

e: actually The Bad Batch might be good, it sure sounds just insane enough to be interesting, and also has Keanu Reeves as a Burning Man rave cult leader apparently

You would think it was a crazy, interesting movie from the description, but it's honestly fairly boring.

And Carrey is barely in it, and he's so hidden under his costume and beard that most people don't even realize it's him until they read about it later.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Carrey attempted during filming to make it seem like he had become Kaufman. He and Jerry Lawler staged a fight, a la the famous Lawler-Kaufman fight on Letterman. Carrey also tried to make people on the set think he had totally believed he was Andy Kaufman.

But since it was 1996 and not the early 1980s and everybody knew that it was all movie hype.

From what I understand, Carey was treating Lawler like poo poo, and Lawler was confused and going "doesn't he know that Andy and I were friends?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Codependent Poster posted:

From what I understand, Carey was treating Lawler like poo poo, and Lawler was confused and going "doesn't he know that Andy and I were friends?"

That's actually kind of awesome-ish. BAH GAWD KING

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is this actually going to be about Freemasons or is it that just an unfortunate coincidence?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is this actually going to be about Freemasons or is it that just an unfortunate coincidence?

I think it's doubtful since the whole time travel aspect is already really out there for German television. Introducing conspiracy stuff on top of that would probably be a bridge too far.

If you're into the conspiracy angle, there is a really good (albeit bleak) German film called "23 - Nichts ist so wie es scheint" that directly references the Illuminatus! Trilogy and stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To bring it full circle, I was so disappointed that The Number 23 had exactly zero loving reference to Burroughs or the Illuminatus! trilogy. Like, come on

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And More posted:

I think it's doubtful since the whole time travel aspect is already really out there for German television. Introducing conspiracy stuff on top of that would probably be a bridge too far.

I'd have assumed German TV would be pretty receptive to some crazy sci-fi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_a_Wire

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I missed something, what's masonic about that poster?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing the big tree and horizontal branch could look like the compass+ruler symbol.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And Carrey is barely in it, and he's so hidden under his costume and beard that most people don't even realize it's him until they read about it later.
For some reason, the pic Netflix uses is just a pic of Carrey’s character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You would think it was a crazy, interesting movie from the description, but it's honestly fairly boring.

Yeah I watched it last night and it was nice to look at the Burning Man village but boy howdy it was quite dull. There's almost literally zero dialogue, which can work but in this case... eh. Though I'd recommend it for free, just for morbid curiosity sake.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

precision posted:

To bring it full circle, I was so disappointed that The Number 23 had exactly zero loving reference to Burroughs or the Illuminatus! trilogy. Like, come on

Michael Jordan and LeBron were like, nowhere to be seen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 14, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Bad Batch was nowhere near as good as the director's first movie. I forget her name offhand but she made the Iranian vampire movie.

This one was kind of all over the place. Excelled use of Ace of Base though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Iko Uwais you are better than this.