Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not if Labor whip over it, why would Labor allow a conscience vote if Yes wins?

That is the party position ? That said I believe Chris Hayes wrote that he would respect the result of the plebiscite so they might vote yes. It will easily pass if the plebiscite wins. Just maybe not every labor MP will vote in favour of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Yeah, I don't think MT is capable of going out in a blaze of glory. It does seem now that he really just doesn't care about anything, rather than being paralyzed by a fear of a spill.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
He is still gonna get a spill.

Backbenchers give less of a gently caress than Turnbull.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JBP posted:

Turnbull needs to think about his legacy at this stage.]

Turnbull's kidding himself if he thinks his legacy is going to be anything but 'fuckgoddamnit why is my internet so slow gently caress I hate dealing with nbnco'

There really is nothing worse you can do in politics than actively annoy every single voter on a personal level.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

He's demonstrably vindictive enough to do this if there's nothing left to lose, which there isn't.

I am advocating that he make this move based on ego to establish his legacy, not to feel good that he did it.

See, I doubt that such arguments have any hold on him. I've seen nothing in his behaviour that suggests so. I'm more inclined to believe he is staying PM long enough to get the most out of the superannuation benefits, since the old scheme was retired in 2004. He might act if he feels betrayed, that's the one thing he has been known to act on. Things have to get a lot worse before that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think moneybags Turnbull got into politics for the super.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That is the party position ? That said I believe Chris Hayes wrote that he would respect the result of the plebiscite so they might vote yes. It will easily pass if the plebiscite wins. Just maybe not every labor MP will vote in favour of it.

No idea, but even the most *checks notes*-y position would be 'go with what the majority of people want.'

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

THAT'S THE ENTIRE loving PARTY PLATFORM YOU TREE TORY PISSBAG

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

I expect Malcolm knows that he has Entsch, Pyne, Frydenberg and Bishop in his corner and that's really all he needs to get a non-lovely bill through the house. Likewise in the senate, Brandis, Birmingham and a few others + the ALP, lionhat, Xenophon and the Greens would sail it through comfortably.
Zimmerman, Tim Wilson, Dean Smith and a few others (Birmingham?) also support it. The votes are there, and if the survey comes back as expected there will be very little sympathy from the moderates for any delaying tactics from the hard right.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Polling in Bennelong on the weekend before Kristina Keneally’s candidacy was announced had the government ahead 56-44 per cent in the seat - a comfortable victory for Malcolm Turnbull.

Political sources have told The Australian that the polling showed that John Alexander was set to retain the seat with a three per cent swing against him after his resignation due to citizenship issues.

Labor are now hoping Ms Keneally’s candidacy will improve their position.

Ms Keneally knew about the polling when she decided to run for the seat.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...49b25e481ba387a

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or, let me put this another way - you're on the same side as Tony Abbott.

I'm not saying "hey, let's legislate discrimination." That's all loving terrible and the fact that they're trying to use SSM to grind their boots into our throats in that way is incredibly disheartening. I'm saying that if they do I'd rather know where the bigots are before I try to patronise them. Slap a big grey star in their windows so I know where to avoid.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Remember she also sexually harassed her staffers and made them buy her sex toys.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Also isn't it highly likely that she won't be back since they've changed the way preferences and the like work?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm not saying "hey, let's legislate discrimination." That's all loving terrible and the fact that they're trying to use SSM to grind their boots into our throats in that way is incredibly disheartening. I'm saying that if they do I'd rather know where the bigots are before I try to patronise them. Slap a big grey star in their windows so I know where to avoid.

And they get to slap a lovely pink star on your sleeve so they know who you are.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ferry McFerryface to be name of new Sydney ferry after public vote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/sydney-ferry-will-actually-be-called-ferry-mcferryface/9146446

quote:

Run a competition asking Sydney to name a new ferry, expect the outright silliest name to win.

Ferry McFerryface is now officially the name of the last ferry in a new fleet of inner harbour vessels.
The name was voted on by hundreds of Sydneysiders in a competition which allowed the public to be part of maritime history.
However, the most votes actually went to the name Boaty McBoatface, the notable title Brits voted to call a new research vessel last year.

But Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said they wanted to avoid a double up.
"Given Boaty was already taken by another vessel, we've gone with the next most popular name nominated by Sydneysiders," Mr Constance said.

"Ferry McFerryface will be the harbour's newest icon, and I hope it brings a smile to the faces of visitors and locals alike.
"This one is for the kids."

More than 15,000 suggestions were made in the Name Your Ferry competition and three of the six new ferries have already been picked by voters: Victor Chang (Australian heart surgeon), Fred Hollows (ophthalmologist) and Catherine Hamlin (obstetrician).

The suggested names were considered by a four-person panel comprising of Australian National Maritime Museum director and chief executive Kevin Sumption, former NSW Volunteer of the Year Patrick Dodd, NSW Young Australian of the Year Melissa Abu-Gazaleh and Australian Museum director and chief executive Kim McKay.

When voting opened Mr Constance urged the public: "Let's really generate some of the best names possible."
The new fleet has capacity for about 400 customers, improved accessibility for people with disabilities, wi-fi access, luggage and bicycle storage areas and charging stations for electronic devices.
The Boaty McBoatface legacy has spread worldwide, with an express train in Sweden named Trainy McTrainface earlier this year and a team at Sydney's Warwick Farm racecourse naming their horse Horsey McHorseface last year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also isn't it highly likely that she won't be back since they've changed the way preferences and the like work?

She has talked about running in the Reps.

She had a pretty strong result in 2016 and if you can make it anywhere as an independent it's Tasmania.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but it's a loving ferry so who cares, let them have their stupid fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Should have called it the O'Farrell Memorial Barge and Bistro

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should've called it Still Faster Than Sending It Over The NBN

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland McQueensland Face

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Harold Holt Memorial Ferry

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

And they get to slap a lovely pink star on your sleeve so they know who you are.

I think you two are talking past each other too much.

Bunnies wants business to publicly out themselves as homophobes so they know not to give them any business (and more than likely a lot of places would not agree to put up a sign since they have some semblance of shame about their position). Gorilla Salad thinks allowing that will turn country towns into Nazi death camps complete with stars for gays/jews? idgi

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wonder when the very funny boaty mcboatface joke is going to run its course or if it’s going to become a name like endeavour that will keep coming up for centuries to come

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

BBJoey posted:

i wonder when the very funny boaty mcboatface joke is going to run its course or if it’s going to become a name like endeavour that will keep coming up for centuries to come

It's the latter.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Name it the liberal party and have it drown itself because no one read the manual

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Bunnies wants business to publicly out themselves as homophobes so they know not to give them any business (and more than likely a lot of places would not agree to put up a sign since they have some semblance of shame about their position). Gorilla Salad thinks allowing that will turn country towns into Nazi death camps complete with stars for gays/jews? idgi

Is it really so hard to appreciate that shops with signs saying "NO GAYS" might have a detrimental effect on many in the LGBTI community?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wheezle posted:

Is it really so hard to appreciate that shops with signs saying "NO GAYS" might have a detrimental effect on many in the LGBTI community?

Absolutely.

Not sure how that leads to this:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Want to know how an MP is planning to vote on marriage equality?

The ABC has a good site.

E: The blanks are for MPs who haven't responded. Sadly you can't sort by party but there are a lot more Liberal MPs in favour than you probably think.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nice

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The blanks are for MPs who haven't responded. Sadly you can't sort by party but there are a lot more Liberal MPs in favour than you probably think.
Thankfully a lot of them have decided to vote with whatever the survey says

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait for schools to start gay lifestyle indoctrination sessions at 10am tomorrow.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I understand the desire to see homophobic businesses be public about their hatred so that they can be named and shamed, but ultimately would it lead to more or less discrimination and hatred against gay people?
I can only see it making things worse.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Don Dongington posted:

Bullshit, remember the four pillars includes economic justice and better democracy in there

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The ABC has a good site.

E: The blanks are for MPs who haven't responded. Sadly you can't sort by party but there are a lot more Liberal MPs in favour than you probably think.

I checked the list and my MP isn't voting in favour of SSM.

I don't have an MP since he resigned on the weekend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The ABC has a good site.

Nice

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gorilla Salad posted:

For a lot of trans people, that's pretty much the reality of day to day life for us.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cohsae posted:

I understand the desire to see homophobic businesses be public about their hatred so that they can be named and shamed, but ultimately would it lead to more or less discrimination and hatred against gay people?
I can only see it making things worse.

I agree. I don't think the more conservative bill is going to get anywhere near voting, so hopefully it's all a moot point.

Companies that are really screeching homophobes will all make public comment and see their business dwindle anyway.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nobody literally wants to see STRAIGHTS ONLY signs on businesses, it’s just a joke about how close the situation is to classic American segregation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah Paterson's bill is pretty much dead in the water.

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/930302000645906432

quote:

A cross-party group of senators will immediately back senator Dean Smith's bill, which will be introduced to the senate on Wednesday afternoon if a "yes" vote is announced in the same-sex marriage postal survey.

BuzzFeed News understands that a motion to introduce the bill will go before the Senate on Wednesday afternoon if a "yes" vote is successful, with debate planned to begin on Thursday morning.

The bill will be introduced by Smith, who will be joined by Liberal senators Linda Reynolds and Jane Hume, as well as representatives from Labor, the Greens, the Nick Xenophon Team and Derryn Hinch.

The combination of MPs backing the bill will likely give it the crucial numbers needed to pass the Senate and go to the lower house.

This gives the Smith bill an immediate advantage over its legislative rival, a bill penned by Liberal senator James Paterson.

The debate on the Smith bill is expected to start on Thursday and carry through to the next parliamentary sitting week, beginning in late November. Any amendments to the bill will be reserved for that sitting week.

E: https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/930302845630390272

• Locked thread