Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kurtofan posted:

I didnt even know about the scarecrow, i just a ground pound jump and cap dive wall jump to the princess to get up there.

Gotta time a triple jump perfectly so you do the high flip off the castle's bridge railing, then wall slide off the tower into a hat jump straight into the bushes so you can safely stalk the peach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

I'm so good at this part.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you arent roaming the castle with a ten-tall goomba pile to get into the balcony i dont know what to tell ya

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

alf_pogs posted:

if you arent roaming the castle with a ten-tall goomba pile to get into the balcony i dont know what to tell ya

Just like Mario 64!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schwack posted:

I swear I can actually hear you curse out something profane the moment you ground-pound instead of long-jump :stare:.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh man i'm down to my last five moons and all of them are hint art. the rest of the hint art series i found relatively painlessly but these five are just obtuse enough that i simultaneously feel like i'm on the right path and also looking in the entirely wrong kingdom. we'll see, i guess! i'll probably come crawling back here for more hints when i fail to find them

PantsBandit posted:

Hint: The New Donk City portrait is right by the Odyssey. It took me forever to find it too.

found this last night. :doh: motherfucker

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This final stage is no joke. The furthest I've gotten so far has been the grass bridge section (should I just keep Yoshi for that? it seems like it wants me to blow up the blocks with the things but that just ended up being a liability). I don't want to think about what comes later in the stage.

I really don't like the section with the fireball guy. That's currently the hardest part for me to get past. I appreciate that the game allows you to just cheese the first boss to get the extra heart thing

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The furthest I've gotten so far has been the grass bridge section (should I just keep Yoshi for that?)

Yup.

You can also run right past the goombas at the start to save time. There is another health boost at the Sphinx on the grass bridge.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

This final stage is no joke. The furthest I've gotten so far has been the grass bridge section (should I just keep Yoshi for that? it seems like it wants me to blow up the blocks with the things but that just ended up being a liability). I don't want to think about what comes later in the stage.

I really don't like the section with the fireball guy. That's currently the hardest part for me to get past. I appreciate that the game allows you to just cheese the first boss to get the extra heart thing

I never blew up the blocks. You can ditch yoshi and triple jump on the walls, or keep him and clear the third wall with flutterjump + well timed tongue on the ledge.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Avoid all the crazy side block stuff and head for the sphinx, where you can get a 6 heart.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think it might be this one. Definitely worth a watch. :catstare:

That walljumping, how in the gently caress...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Schwack posted:

You can actually juuuust cheat that one if you get your jumps and dive just right.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:psyduck: the part with the glider guy

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Another tip for 100 jump rope: make sure you put the camera to the back of one of the ladies to make followimg the rope a bit easier

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: the part with the glider guy

But wait, it gets way worse! The loving birds that follow almost made me snap my Switch in half.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I've died probably 50 times on that part in mushroom kingdom where it switches from 2D to 3D. I hate this so much.

Edit: probably took me like 70 tries holy moly.

Can someone give me a hint on how to get to the detached island in the mushroom kingdom?

Try looking around the luncheon kingdom for a portrait.

2nd hint: Use the lava bubble to explore the outer edges of the map.
3rd hint: It's on the island with the rolling veggies that pop out of the middle.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I've gotten to the Pokio, which as I understand it is the final stretch?

That part before that can go gently caress itself though jesus christ

edit: Also the loving part where it takes away your hat because I can NOT remember the pattern for the life of me

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 14, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How come the big fish shadow always disappears right before it’s about to bite??

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

How come the big fish shadow always disappears right before it’s about to bite??

I just found that sometimes I have to do it a few times. It’s like fishing in Animal Crossing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Feenix posted:

I know I got thrown off by expecting it to work like other fishing minigames. He doesn't nibble at it and then bite, the nibbles are the bites and you need to pull it up during one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This does feel not quite as good as Champion's Road, just because one of the last bits with the Pokio is a situation where it's a "one minor fuckup and you're dead" situation, while also being one of the last things in the stage. It's like WoW where the final phase is so ridiculously harder than the first, and you then have to spend like 10 minutes of not-that-hard fight to get to the final bit again when you wipe. This is similar. The rest of the stage, once you learn it, isn't it all that bad. But some parts are pretty tedious (the fireball, the spiky dude section right before the Pokio) so it ends up feeling way more punishing than Champions Road did, even though that stage also didn't have checkpoints. The difficulty in the individual sections is mostly good, it just ends up feeling like a slog when one of the last bits is designed the way it is.

I haven't gotten to the final part yet, which looks like, I assume, a harder version of Bowser. I imagine that fight can't be all that bad though

The fireball part is probably my least favorite part though.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 14, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Part of the problem with the Pokio section is that the game has never taught you how it treats momentum in that specific context. In order to judge those jumps accurately, you need to know if you'll maintain the momentum of the speeding platform or if you're essentially jumping from neutral wherever you release, and that's information the game has never given you.

The other part of the problem is that the game switches the orientation of your control stick movement back and forth. When you're on the wall, the control stick moves you along a vertical plane. As soon as you're off the wall, the control stick is back to lateral movement and you can unintentionally get turned around.

It's not a good section.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Also if you pull back too early to prepare for a jump you can actually get bumped off by the swing under you which is... not fun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god, I can't believe the mercy they give you by giving you a full six hearts during the very final part of that. The spike and DK bits right before that brought me down from six to two and I was like well gently caress no WAY am I getting through this now.

Now I'm at the powerline bit :3:

edit: Cappy :3: :3: :3:

edit: Holy poo poo I just realized you end the game with the first powerup you and Cappy ever get :kimchi:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 14, 2017

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Part of the problem with the Pokio section is that the game has never taught you how it treats momentum in that specific context. In order to judge those jumps accurately, you need to know if you'll maintain the momentum of the speeding platform or if you're essentially jumping from neutral wherever you release, and that's information the game has never given you.

Well, there is that section in Bowser's kingdom where in order to progress you have to use pokio on sliding walls. I assume you're meant to learn whether or not momentum affects your trajectory there.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is there really only 40 hats in the game? i have 42 outfits with a star on them telling me i have everything but the hat list has no star and i've bought and unlocked everything

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

is there really only 40 hats in the game? i have 42 outfits with a star on them telling me i have everything but the hat list has no star and i've bought and unlocked everything

I don't think there is an outfit to go along with the invisible hat or the gold hat are there?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

raditts posted:

I don't think there is an outfit to go along with the invisible hat or the gold hat are there?

The second one does

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Until next time :unsmith:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cross post from the Game Screen Shot Thread:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snake Maze posted:

I know I got thrown off by expecting it to work like other fishing minigames. He doesn't nibble at it and then bite, the nibbles are the bites and you need to pull it up during one.

Yeah no I know how to get fish. It's just that the big fish shadow kinda gets interested, swims up, and then fades out of existence right before my rod. Every time.
(and I'm not moving.)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm sure this has been asked before, but where is the best place to farm coins? That 9999 coin outfit ain't gonna grind itself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

still grinding onwards towards 100% completion. done jump rope, done the bound races, all i have left in terms of sheer annoying bullshit is the beach volleyball. i still don't wanna stop playing.

how often do i feel that way about games that i've already put 40 hours into? not bloody often

anyway here's some screencaps.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but where is the best place to farm coins? That 9999 coin outfit ain't gonna grind itself.

the snow kingdom has a pretty lucrative cloud bonus area once you've cleared the blizzard. grab the seed in the ice next to the town entrance, run it back to ride the whirlwind, ride it up to the platform, ride the beanstalk up. the whirligig cloud area you'll end up in has heaps of coin rings and is pretty easy to finish. each run should get you about a hundred coins or so.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Drewjitsu posted:

There's a place in Bowser's Kingdom (up a vine to a bonus area) where you can get 200/m pretty easily. Otherwise you can run the NDC Festival over and over again and get like 150/m while jamming out and actually playing the game.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

*record scratch*

"You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol i got as far as the fork flinging over lava stuff and i could see the painting in the distance, figured that was it and loudly proclaimed "this wasn't as bad as everyone made out" and then i got to the next section, what the gently caress nintendo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drewjitsu posted:

Darker Side of the Moon. Just keep trying, and so long as you can clear through to the gliding section consistently you'll make a pretty decent profit.

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol i got as far as the fork flinging over lava stuff and i could see the painting in the distance, figured that was it and loudly proclaimed "this wasn't as bad as everyone made out" and then i got to the next section, what the gently caress nintendo.

Waggle while you glide into the updrafts for massive lift and you can soar right to the painting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you are bad at gliding to the painting like me, and you get up to the bit with lots of little tiny spikey enemies and the big circular blast generator buttons, don't even hit the blaster in the middle of your moving platform. just use your hat to whack away the spikers as much as possible and keep moving around it. it's not worth it as a last resort at all, chances are if you set it off you'll lose more health than if you did

it doesn't matter anyways, though, because then you've got the pokio bird bit, which is as masochistic and cheapo as the game gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who likes bomberman

E: Actually might be fake. New Bomberman update came out adding a ton of cameo characters and people are debating if this is legit or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 15, 2017

• Locked thread