Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Barudak posted:

Im not comfortable having kids around drinking because elbows are like natures ball peen hammers and it turns out most kids under 12 arent developed enough to take a full on People’s Elbow from cousin Lou.

Pick posted:

tbh drinking. Like, I'm not comfortable having kids around people drinking honestly. I think it's a bad influence.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Drinking, dancing, having adult conversations

This is such a foreign concept to me, at all the weddings I've been to including my own the parents either make the choice to get shitfaced and be crazy, hence leaving the kids with a sitter at home, or they want to bring the kids and act like responsible adults and look after them. Generally it doesn't matter past the ceremony because all the kids end up playing with each other and having fun aka the whole point of bringing kids in the first place.

I've never once felt like the environment was inappropriate for children unless they are such delicate flowers the idea of an adult being drunk or telling a bawdy joke is going to send them into a spiral of self destruction

EDIT: I guess my point is the "no-kids" rule comes from a selfish place, and the fact that she didn't like the kids being let out of the babysitting area to dance with their parents and have fun is just asinine to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

maskenfreiheit posted:

I [18F] lent my co-worker [30s M] a laptop and he left a love note for me on it.Non-Romantic
(self.relationships)

I know that whistleblowing isn't exactly stacked in favor of the worker, but I fail to see how any federal lawsuits could come from making an EoE complaint since internal HR isn't doing its job.

Sounds like a no-win situation if her NDA covers workplace harassment and not just actual classified poo poo. :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A friend of mine is a bartender/bar investor. Hi wedding was in one of his bars, and his reception was to travel from bar to bar he has associations with throught the city growing ever more shitfaced until you had to go home under the correct assumption he and his wife could outdrink all the guests.

A distant relative complained he didnt let her bring her 6 year old.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

This is such a foreign concept to me, at all the weddings I've been to including my own the parents either make the choice to get shitfaced and be crazy, hence leaving the kids with a sitter at home, or they want to bring the kids and act like responsible adults and look after them. Generally it doesn't matter past the ceremony because all the kids end up playing with each other and having fun aka the whole point of bringing kids in the first place.

I've never once felt like the environment was inappropriate for children unless they are such delicate flowers the idea of an adult being drunk or telling a bawdy joke is going to send them into a spiral of self destruction

EDIT: I guess my point is the "no-kids" rule comes from a selfish place, and the fact that she didn't like the kids being let out of the babysitting area to dance with their parents and have fun is just asinine to me

Bringing your kids into the reception when you've already been told no kids comes from a selfish place

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The host gets to set conditions for an event, particularly an expensive, complicated one like a big wedding. She even went above and beyond by shelling out for child care. If that's unreasonable, stay home. By deciding to attend, you've accepted their conditions, unreasonable as you may feel them to be.

Our reception was definitely NOT kid-free but I understand why people might want that.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Barudak posted:

Im not comfortable having kids around drinking because elbows are like natures ball peen hammers and it turns out most kids under 12 arent developed enough to take a full on People’s Elbow from cousin Lou.

Then they need to learn, and a wedding is a trial by fire.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

abigserve posted:

Can you give me an example? Like I can understand not wanting kids at the ceremony (we had a tantrum just before our vows for example but no stress) but the reception? What could you possibly be doing with a huge group of your family and friends that would be inappropriate to have kids around.

The atmosphere of a bunch of folks knocking back beers, shooting the poo poo, and generally having a good time completely changes when children are involved because everyone has to keep an eye out for the kids. It doesn't matter if you're just talking, eating, or dancing - nobody wants to be the one who stepped on Little Tammy's foot when they were dancing, or accidentally taught Little Johnny a swear because he was eavesdropping, or lord knows what else. That goes double (maybe even triple) for a day as special and important as someone's loving wedding day, which is a stressful, enormous, and costly event that they want everyone to have a good time at so it gets remembered fondly.

edit:

zakharov posted:

The host gets to set conditions for an event, particularly an expensive, complicated one like a big wedding. She even went above and beyond by shelling out for child care. If that's unreasonable, stay home. By deciding to attend, you've accepted their conditions, unreasonable as you may feel them to be.
This sums it up really well. It's her day. If she doesn't want your kids there and you can't handle that, then don't loving go.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 14, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Who even wants kids at a wedding?

Last one I went to I ended up largely entertaining my young cousin because I was the next closest family in age there to her who wasn't the groom. I was 34. I largely want to avoid children like the plague but sucked it up a bit for her sake and it was fine.

Since it was just her having a dedicated hired person to deal with one kid didn't make sense sure. Soon as there are more I totally get going hey all the kids can go elsewhere and do way more entertaining poo poo than a dull rear end wedding. Seriously people act like most are worth attending, they're not. Spare the kids that poo poo they gotta do it enough when they're older.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Weddings with kids can be nice because you get to see all of your younger relatives; sometimes how much they've grown since you've last seen them.

Weddings without kids can be nice because you can have adult conversations and drink.

Weddings of all sorts can be fun. :unsmith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

The atmosphere of a bunch of folks knocking back beers, shooting the poo poo, and generally having a good time completely changes when children are involved

this hasn't been my experience at all, I think most people can get pretty drunk while still being reasonably responsible and respecting peoples boundaries?

like there were some people that got hosed up at my wedding but they weren't exactly yelling obscenities and pissing on the flowers because they aren't garbage people

ending the derail here though because my concept of a wedding + reception is an inclusive and big family event because that was how I was raised, other people may have different views on it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

Highly Respected Deaf Gentleman [36], Never had girlfriend? Why?Personal issues
(self.relationships)

quote:

I witnessed him deliberately unplug a monitor and a keyboard before calling me over to "fix" it.

what was the plan here? To make her think he was a total idiot? I mean I get he wanted an excuse to talk to her but like "whoops I pissed myself could you go grab some napkins" isn't gonna play out well longterm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

abigserve posted:

this hasn't been my experience at all, I think most people can get pretty drunk while still being reasonably responsible and respecting peoples boundaries?

like there were some people that got hosed up at my wedding but they weren't exactly yelling obscenities and pissing on the flowers because they aren't garbage people

ending the derail here though because my concept of a wedding + reception is an inclusive and big family event because that was how I was raised, other people may have different views on it

Counterpoint: Not all families are alike. Sometimes they are terrible.

My [46] younger sister [41] insulted my daughter [26] yesterday.

quote:

Yesterday I hosted a Thanksgiving gathering at my house because my mom was in from out of town and other irrelevant reasons. My sister has always been less than tactful in the way she talks to people, just rather rude. We have never been particularly close. She is divorced, no children. I am divorced as well, 26yo daughter, 22yo son, 9yo son.

So my sister was already in the living room when my daughter arrived. The first words my sister said to my daughter were "what did you do to your hair, it's ugly!" WTF? Who says that? I was not in the room when this happened, but my daughter immediately came to me, face beet red, and told me what she said to her. It clearly hurt her feelings. My sister later told my daughter that she was only kidding but never apologized. My daughter steered clear of her for the rest of the day.

My question is, do I say something to my sister about this? I definitely want to. And what do I say?

TL;DR Sister insulted my daughter, what, if anything do I say to her?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

tbh drinking. Like, I'm not comfortable having kids around people drinking honestly. I think it's a bad influence.

i think kids being around adults having a beer or two at thanksgiving dinner is normal and probably good so they don't think alcohol is a mystical thing and go crazy in college.

otoh a lot of binge drinking occurs at weddings and that's definitely not appropriate. little johnny doesn't need to see aunt sally white girl wasted in the corner crying about how she's always a bridesmaid

Barudak posted:

it's ok kids bones are soft and malleable throughout childhood just don't do any piledrivers after the quinceañera

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 14, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: Not all families are alike. Sometimes they are terrible.

My [46] younger sister [41] insulted my daughter [26] yesterday.

Why is this your problem? Your daughter is 26, not 2, if she doesn't have the emotional fortitude to deal with her mean aunt you failed as a parent and should :sever: before you gently caress the rest of your kids up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm [22M] disabled and my younger brother [13M] constantly harasses and is abusive to me; I'm frustrated and don't know what to do and my parents are no helpNon-Romantic
288 points 45 comments submitted 14 days ago by abusediary to r/relationships

I have cerebral palsy; I can't walk and use crutches to move around and it affects my other motor skills as well. I'm visibly disabled in that you can see that my body is clearly 'weird' when you look at me or when I move. My brother is 13, slightly taller than me, and obviously more physically capable than me. The vast majority of interactions with him are him insulting, mocking and ridiculing me. He constantly says things like I should kill myself and constantly insults me on the basis of my disability. As in he'll literally call me 'disabled boy' and say 'you're disabled' over and over again mockingly. He does things like slap me and hit me and sometimes takes things from my room. If I try shut my door to get him to leave me alone, he stops me because he's faster than me. He's pushed me down a few times. He does and says inappropriate things like slap my butt when I'm walking away or make lewd comments about my body or mocks me about needing help with things like private personal hygiene/grooming.

Interacting with him is exhausting, and I feel anxious and self conscious when he's around. If I tell him to leave me alone or go away or say anything he perceives as critical he'll just continue to be rude, and if I get angry and raise my voice he'll say that I'm being abusive. When we start to fight my mother just frames it as both of us fighting instead of him initiating it and just yells. Because of the times I get overtly angry and tell him directly to just leave me alone or shut up, I sometimes feels like she acts as if I'm the one being unreasonable and he should just leave it, since he's usually just mocking than smilingly insulting than angry. I know all of his behaviour and insults are juvenile, but it frustrates me because I can't properly defend myself because of my disability and that every interaction is just him degrading me and putting me down. I get very depressed that I have to constantly deal with this, and I feel guilty, frustrated and ashamed because of how obvious and overt his abuse is when I describe it- it feels like I'm trying to demonise a kid that I'm so much older than or that it's my fault for doing something to antagonise him or not trying to reason with him. But I honestly don't. I always speak civilly/normally to him before he starts poo poo again and I defend him when I feel he's being treated unfairly in other squabbles. I honestly don't hate him in any serious way because he's a kid, but I dread being around him. I try to just ignore what he says but he'll just continue on, and I can't do anything about the physical stuff

TL;DR much younger brother constantly mistreats me; it makes me depressed and frustrated and I don't know what to do

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

abigserve posted:

I literally cannot imagine what a wedding would be like where kids would not be welcome outside of really gross themed weddings where everybody is naked or whatever.

Even then it's not like the kids were running around during the ceremony and speeches, they only came out during the dancing. gently caress that person, honestly, I can't imagine being that petty and stuck up.

My step brother's recent wedding basically had a cut off time, kids were okay/encouraged to hang out during the wedding itself but once it got later the lights were dimmed and everyone still there was getting smashed and enjoying a mid/late 20's party which definitely is not something you'd have kids attend. No one seemed to take issue with this and those that brought kids left at the appropriate time.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

chemtrail huffer posted:

I [32M] have become close with my [32M] best friends wife [30F]

I'm guessing the background of this is the OP has been forever alone and latched onto one of the first women in his life that's not a relative and is nice to him. Otherwise I can't really think of how someone who has dated before would think that cuddling with his best friend's wife wasn't already way over a line.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [34 F] with my husband [32 M] and grandmother-in-law [86 F]. How do I get by with not eating her food at her house?

quote:

Just to give you some background: I am married to a man who comes from a different country. In his culture, family is everything. He moved here as a young child with no prior knowledge of our language, and his family worked very hard to get to where they are today. They speak with each other every day and see each other at least once a week. I come from a much more independent family. We value each other, but we don't have to touch base every day. We also have boundaries and expectations of reasonable behavior. His family can act in inappropriate ways and everyone just seems to accept it, whereas my family expects good behavior and has no problem calling each other out when it's appropriate to do so.

Anyway, so here is the situation. We eat at my grandmother-in-laws house once every several weeks. Her food is ok, I can stomach it, but it's really not appetizing. Everything is fried, all of the salads have mayonnaise and sauteed vegetables (no fresh veggies at all), and most of her dishes are dripping with grease. I'm a vegetarian, and I can always find something to eat, but honestly, it's gross. I don't like her food. I could probably deal with it though if she didn't have hygiene issues. She blows her nose on dish towels and then uses them to dry dishes. She puts her unwashed hands in food when scooping it into containers. She uses dirty paper towels to defrost things on in the microwave (she reuses paper towels, so they are scattered around the kitchen). Most of her dishes include fish, which really makes me squeamish, and I know that she does not wash pans or utensils between making my vegetarian food and these dishes.

I feel like a jerk. She's a sweet person, but I don't to eat her food. That coupled with her incessantly badgering me to "eat more" and offering me meat at least a couple of times during these meals. I've been a vegetarian for years; it's as if she just doesn't get it. And she won't accept "I'm full" as an answer. She'll roll her eyes or mumble something in a foreign language when I politely decline more food. It's as if me being full is a slight against her cooking. She will honestly try to put food on my plate at least 5 times during each meal, despite me saying "no, thank you." It's frustrating, it feels like a battle. I don't enjoy these meals.

I got into a big argument with my husband over this. He thinks I can put up with these "minor annoyances" once every several weeks. She's not in good health, what's the big deal? Let her be an old lady and stop trying to get her to see my POV. I get where he is coming from, but honestly, I don't even want to go over there anymore at this point. I don't understand why it's so hard for her to just stop trying to give me meat and more food. I realize that I can't change her hygiene issues, but even my husband was offended when I brought it up to him (in private). He takes it personally that I'm grossed out by her hygiene and food. I'm not really sure where to go from here. My mother-in-law, who is a bit wacky, told me out of anger that I should just shut up, be polite, and not go anymore. His grandmother loves me, she always asks me to come over though, so I'm not really sure how to proceed. Any suggestions? Do I continue to go and just force myself to endure it? Should I bring my own food and say I'm on a special diet?

tl;dr: Grandmother-in-law tries to force feed me gross and dirty food. How to politely decline?
OP is too skinny. Why isn't she eating more? Here, have some more food.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Me [34 F] with my husband [32 M] and grandmother-in-law [86 F]. How do I get by with not eating her food at her house?

OP is too skinny. Why isn't she eating more? Here, have some more food.

Most of this is regular "my grandma grew up scraping things off her feet to eat" but this:

quote:

She blows her nose on dish towels and then uses them to dry dishes. She puts her unwashed hands in food when scooping it into containers.

is loving disgusting.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

I'm [22M] disabled and my younger brother [13M] constantly harasses and is abusive to me; I'm frustrated and don't know what to do and my parents are no helpNon-Romantic
This is really sad but the explanation is p clear, OP was a difficult drain on the family and the parents are resentful of it to the point of simply allowing the younger brother to vent on their behalf. Younger brother probably picked up on this dynamic when he was too young for empathy (and realistically he's still in this spot) and it's just snowballed from there. They would have stopped him years ago if they were ever intending to and OP has no real means to get away on his own. It's just super depressing all around, like literally the best case scenario at this point is x years from now after the younger one has matured he'll have realized how hosed up the dynamic was and try to fix things but it's never gonna undo the damage or repair their relationship.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I hate when they're vague and say poo poo like "a different country", like everyone isn't immediately going to ask her if she's talking about Italy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

288 points 45 comments submitted 14 days ago by abusediary to r/relationships

I have cerebral palsy; I can't walk and use crutches to move around and it affects my other motor skills as well. I'm visibly disabled in that you can see that my body is clearly 'weird' when you look at me or when I move. My brother is 13, slightly taller than me, and obviously more physically capable than me. The vast majority of interactions with him are him insulting, mocking and ridiculing me. He constantly says things like I should kill myself and constantly insults me on the basis of my disability. As in he'll literally call me 'disabled boy' and say 'you're disabled' over and over again mockingly. He does things like slap me and hit me and sometimes takes things from my room. If I try shut my door to get him to leave me alone, he stops me because he's faster than me. He's pushed me down a few times. He does and says inappropriate things like slap my butt when I'm walking away or make lewd comments about my body or mocks me about needing help with things like private personal hygiene/grooming.

Interacting with him is exhausting, and I feel anxious and self conscious when he's around. If I tell him to leave me alone or go away or say anything he perceives as critical he'll just continue to be rude, and if I get angry and raise my voice he'll say that I'm being abusive. When we start to fight my mother just frames it as both of us fighting instead of him initiating it and just yells. Because of the times I get overtly angry and tell him directly to just leave me alone or shut up, I sometimes feels like she acts as if I'm the one being unreasonable and he should just leave it, since he's usually just mocking than smilingly insulting than angry. I know all of his behaviour and insults are juvenile, but it frustrates me because I can't properly defend myself because of my disability and that every interaction is just him degrading me and putting me down. I get very depressed that I have to constantly deal with this, and I feel guilty, frustrated and ashamed because of how obvious and overt his abuse is when I describe it- it feels like I'm trying to demonise a kid that I'm so much older than or that it's my fault for doing something to antagonise him or not trying to reason with him. But I honestly don't. I always speak civilly/normally to him before he starts poo poo again and I defend him when I feel he's being treated unfairly in other squabbles. I honestly don't hate him in any serious way because he's a kid, but I dread being around him. I try to just ignore what he says but he'll just continue on, and I can't do anything about the physical stuff

TL;DR much younger brother constantly mistreats me; it makes me depressed and frustrated and I don't know what to do

he should buy some mace and use it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Had a discussion about it last night. Just to give you some background (if you haven't read my previous post). I have a High Sex drive and feel depressed/angry when my wife doesn't give me all of her attention (sexual and non-sexual). I also feel I've been married to the same woman for too long (10 years) and I have no feeling for her anymore. The children seem to be causing a stress on the relationship, since all her time is occupied with them..... My wife has a particular low libido, doesn't initiate, doesn't talk sexy, doesn't like to flirt, play grab rear end etc....

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

dudeness posted:

I hate when they're vague and say poo poo like "a different country", like everyone isn't immediately going to ask her if she's talking about Italy.
The comments pretty rapidly figured out OP's dealing with a Russian grandma, for what it's worth. :ussr:

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Do what babushka says unless you want her to clock you with a log

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

ArbitraryC posted:

This is really sad but the explanation is p clear, OP was a difficult drain on the family and the parents are resentful of it to the point of simply allowing the younger brother to vent on their behalf. Younger brother probably picked up on this dynamic when he was too young for empathy (and realistically he's still in this spot) and it's just snowballed from there. They would have stopped him years ago if they were ever intending to and OP has no real means to get away on his own. It's just super depressing all around, like literally the best case scenario at this point is x years from now after the younger one has matured he'll have realized how hosed up the dynamic was and try to fix things but it's never gonna undo the damage or repair their relationship.

Disability is soo much joy when you're a child. Yeah. There's nothing like hearing your mother scream at your father, "You're not the one stuck home with a sick kid!" when he asks her how her day went.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

I would have suggested broken legs before I did the growing up palsy puncher needs to do.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 14, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

This is loving outrageous. Dump this scumsucking shitloon and :sever:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Wait, sorry, that was my response to this:

I [25F] lent my bf [26M] my work computer for his gaming, and now he refuses to let me use it, even for work. Considering ending it, 1.5 years.

quote:

Hi guys, I'll leave some details vague as he's a Redditor as well.

Boyfriend and I have been dating for 1.5 years, we live together. We met through friends and really clicked in terms of humor and interests. HOWEVER, there is one issue that I've always struggled with. Bf is a huge gamer and it takes up a huge amount of his time. It also means he'd prefer gaming over literally everything else-- dinner, friends, traveling, etc. He has basically said that he gets enough social interaction through his games (he plays with other people) and he doesn't feel the need to go out with physical friends.

This is really hard for me because I love meeting friends for drinks, hanging out, going hiking together, and things like that. However, I've been working as a consultant for 3 years now and my schedule is all over the place. I travel frequently and I can't give as much of my time to my bf either so I've always felt it evened out somewhat.

Well two weeks ago bf's desktop computer crapped out on him. Just completely died due to random reasons and it'd take a lot of money to fix, so bf is considering just buying a new one. He's not well-off though, so he wants to save for a bit so he can get the high-performance computer he wants. It was all fine with me until he approached me maybe 1 day after his computer broke asking to use my home office computer for his gaming. I told him to use my personal laptop at first (I don't use it as much) but he complained and whined and said that my personal laptop was unfit for gaming, and that my desktop computer is much nicer and much more powerful. Well, I need my desktop everyday when I work from home. I also have EVERYTHING work-related on it.

We argued for a bit and then he just majorly wore me down. He'd complain EVERY day about not being able to log onto his games, about how he misses his gaming friends, and how he's so bored. So I eventually caved and let him install the game on my computer. Since then, he's essentially taken it over and I have to beg and yell and basically push him off to get to my own computer. It's really annoying because this computer was strictly for my work, which means it has specially installed software to interact with our clients that I need to access every day. It also means I haven't been able to work from home despite work being especially busy. It's been a fight EVERY DAY to kick him off my computer. He'll say 30 more min and then hang onto it for 3 more hours.

It's gotten to the point where I no longer see his gaming habit as a minor annoyance. I just think he's hugely immature and kind of a child. Even if it is just a "social outlet" for him, I don't see why he can't restrict himself and deprive himself of gaming even for a day or two. It's making me completely reconsider the relationship because I don't think he'll change at all. But on the other hand I feel bad throwing away a 1.5 year relationship that was seemingly going well and satisfied both of us. What should I do?

tl;dr: Bf is a huge gamer but his own computer broke weeks ago. He begged me to use my work computer for gaming and now he won't let me use it for work. I'm furious and reconsidering the relationship due to his immaturity.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

My step brother's recent wedding basically had a cut off time, kids were okay/encouraged to hang out during the wedding itself but once it got later the lights were dimmed and everyone still there was getting smashed and enjoying a mid/late 20's party which definitely is not something you'd have kids attend. No one seemed to take issue with this and those that brought kids left at the appropriate time.

thats fine and makes perfect sense to me

I [25F] lent my bf [26M] my work computer for his gaming, and now he refuses to let me use it, even for work. Considering ending it, 1.5 years

quote:

Hi guys, I'll leave some details vague as he's a Redditor as well.

Boyfriend and I have been dating for 1.5 years, we live together. We met through friends and really clicked in terms of humor and interests. HOWEVER, there is one issue that I've always struggled with. Bf is a huge gamer and it takes up a huge amount of his time. It also means he'd prefer gaming over literally everything else-- dinner, friends, traveling, etc. He has basically said that he gets enough social interaction through his games (he plays with other people) and he doesn't feel the need to go out with physical friends.

This is really hard for me because I love meeting friends for drinks, hanging out, going hiking together, and things like that. However, I've been working as a consultant for 3 years now and my schedule is all over the place. I travel frequently and I can't give as much of my time to my bf either so I've always felt it evened out somewhat.

Well two weeks ago bf's desktop computer crapped out on him. Just completely died due to random reasons and it'd take a lot of money to fix, so bf is considering just buying a new one. He's not well-off though, so he wants to save for a bit so he can get the high-performance computer he wants. It was all fine with me until he approached me maybe 1 day after his computer broke asking to use my home office computer for his gaming. I told him to use my personal laptop at first (I don't use it as much) but he complained and whined and said that my personal laptop was unfit for gaming, and that my desktop computer is much nicer and much more powerful. Well, I need my desktop everyday when I work from home. I also have EVERYTHING work-related on it.

We argued for a bit and then he just majorly wore me down. He'd complain EVERY day about not being able to log onto his games, about how he misses his gaming friends, and how he's so bored. So I eventually caved and let him install the game on my computer. Since then, he's essentially taken it over and I have to beg and yell and basically push him off to get to my own computer. It's really annoying because this computer was strictly for my work, which means it has specially installed software to interact with our clients that I need to access every day. It also means I haven't been able to work from home despite work being especially busy. It's been a fight EVERY DAY to kick him off my computer. He'll say 30 more min and then hang onto it for 3 more hours.

It's gotten to the point where I no longer see his gaming habit as a minor annoyance. I just think he's hugely immature and kind of a child. Even if it is just a "social outlet" for him, I don't see why he can't restrict himself and deprive himself of gaming even for a day or two. It's making me completely reconsider the relationship because I don't think he'll change at all. But on the other hand I feel bad throwing away a 1.5 year relationship that was seemingly going well and satisfied both of us. What should I do?

tl;dr: Bf is a huge gamer but his own computer broke weeks ago. He begged me to use my work computer for gaming and now he won't let me use it for work. I'm furious and reconsidering the relationship due to his immaturity.

Pretty standard "don't date gamers" but I loved the "it'd take a lot of money to fix" as though there's any component of a computer that can break that you can't replace for less than 200 bucks. Cheeky prick is trying to justify a $3000 dollar alienware purchase I bet

EDIT: ^^^ me [26M] with another forums poster [??M??] keeps stealing my posts. Should I open the relationship?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please buy a copy of my new manchildren's book "If You Give a Gamer a Computer".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bringing back a derail a bit, but I always felt the no-kids weddings can often be as much a favour for the kids as anything. Kids are usually bored shitless at weddings, proportionately so to how fancy and formal the wedding is, are difficult to dress and keep in formal clothes (Usually, some might love the opportunity to dress up, but the novelty likely wears off quick) and can get tired quick and either need to be taken home early or spend most of the evening sitting around complaining that they want to go home.

Obvious it depends on the family, the venue and the kids, but the point is the presence of kids adds an entire new dimension of problems and issues to any event which the organisers have to deal with, and it's pretty reasonable for the most part to declare a no-kids event to save some headaches. And you'd think parents would jump at having dedicated daycare to take care of the kids for them while they go have fun and catch up with family.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My biggest memory of being at a wedding as a child was repeatedly going to the bartender and asking for more cherries. Repeatedly.

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My (35f) husband (33m) of 8 years is terrible at his "dream" job. He wants me to be "supportive" but he means just feed him fluff. I want to be honest but he can't handle it. What should I do?

Basically, without getting into detail my husband has always dreamed of being involved in a certain sports/entertainment business (not pro-wrestling).

So this is definitely pro-wrestling, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

My biggest memory of being at a wedding as a child was repeatedly going to the bartender and asking for more cherries. Repeatedly.

So this is definitely pro-wrestling, right?

She talks about a 'promotion' later, and I'm not sure what that applies to except pro-wrestling.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

She talks about a 'promotion' later, and I'm not sure what that applies to except pro-wrestling.

Maybe MMA?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I love how vague she is about it, like the internet is gonna doxx her from the tiny-rear end detail of "my husband is a wrestling talent scout in an undisclosed region for a company I have not named"

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love how vague she is about it, like the internet is gonna doxx her from the tiny-rear end detail of "my husband is a wrestling talent scout in an undisclosed region for a company I have not named"

I somehow give her credit for that vague description tho. You never know which weirdo is reading your stuff on the internet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

'Smashing things' is also considered a job skill, and MMA doesn't (usually) let you use props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's clearly competitive gymnastics.