Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Now that multiple people are posting Abhorrent Gilchrist Nancy, Slightly Less lovely Guy & Brad Nancy, and Actually Good Bushmiller Nancy, does anybody happen to have a source for Mostly Inoffensive Jerry Scott Nancy? That's the one I remember sporadically reading as a kid, and I wouldn't mind seeing it posted.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise in The Balloonatic

quote:

This story was written against the background of the Hyde Park and Regent's Park bombings perpetrated by the IRA in July 1982 in which eleven members of the Household Cavalry and Royal Green Jackets were murdered. Seven horses were also killed. Terrorism, and the threat of terrorism, was an everyday fact of life in the UK at the time and it is only to be expected that so topical and universal a subject would inspire a story, particularly one in which the terrorists lose. That such groups exchanged information provided an interesting storyline which was later to prove all too factual.

The groups named in this fictional story actually existed at the time and some of them still do. One of the most consistent of Modesty's characteristics is her hard-line attitude to terrorism. Her credo is that failure to immediately resist any such attempts in the strongest terms will lead to further escalations of violence. To put such a credo into practice takes courage and the acceptance that this will almost certainly result in casualties. It is easy to forget that every major country in Europe has suffered from its very own terrorist group; it is neither a new nor recent phenomenon but is now accepted as a "normal" part of modern life worldwide.

A more light-hearted feature of this particular tale is the creation of two new "good" characters, Guido Biganzoli and his long suffering girlfriend, Aniela. Visually created by Neville Colvin, they make their first appearances here and will turn up later in a further three adventures. As is so often the case, the new character, Guido, is brought to life with an immediate history and background, being presented as having already involved Modesty in a Camorra shootout, a football riot and a six-car pile up. Typical situations for Modesty to find herself in and wish to avoid but once again her essential curiosity and sense of adventure allow her to be lured into a trip in - of all things - a hot air balloon.

If you want to get caught up on Modesty, my archive is here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The best Compu-Toon.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Forktoss posted:

Now that multiple people are posting Abhorrent Gilchrist Nancy, Slightly Less lovely Guy & Brad Nancy, and Actually Good Bushmiller Nancy, does anybody happen to have a source for Mostly Inoffensine Jerry Scott Nancy? That's the one I remember sporadically reading as a kid, and I wouldn't mind seeing it posted.

I'll echo that request. I liked it a fair bit back in the day.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 5, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 22, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 18, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 18, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 21, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 21, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 17, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 30, 1933)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise in The Balloonatic

If you want to get caught up on Modesty, my archive is here.

This man is an amazing collection of Italian stereotypes. Wow.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Jokes? Storylines? No, we need more complaining about PEOPLE THESE DAYS and MY HORRIBLE CHILDREN.

Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing Florida Man

Nancy

:barf:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Jokes? Storylines? No, we need more complaining about PEOPLE THESE DAYS and MY HORRIBLE CHILDREN.
"Why doesn't my son want to use a wonderful, poetic turn of phrase to describe something he doesn't like????"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Hee Haw reference?

Eat a bag of dicks, Mr Gilchrist.

Ta.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Beetle Bailey, November 1 2017

Classic Beetle Bailey, November 1 1956

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

I meant to ask this yesterday but can anyone decipher the first letter in title of the "Next" thing? I'm guessing "Dorrit," which is a woman's name, but I can't tell. Perhaps that's Val's mother's name (it looks like they have never named her in the comic)?

"Horrit." You guessed correctly that it's a woman's name though:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

Wow, what a racist comic.

The first game is July 22, 2007

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I honestly hope Iris finds love. She's a good person. As for Wilbur ...

Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (January, 1936, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1941, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (June, 1941)

Archie (June, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (October 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1976, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (May, 1972, click for big)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

This is a grown woman asking for career advice from a teenage girl who is still processing the trauma of being kidnapped and held hostage. gently caress off, Neddy.

BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell What is this supposed to be??? Besides bad.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo archery is expensive

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on why having a fun hobby is bad and being boring and soulless is good.

It'll probably be shoved in as gracefully as the reasons why Les and Tiffany are bad.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

So this is straight up an admission that Luann is bland and boring, right? Like, she is so devoid of personality that she would rather pay money than be forced to come up with something that she likes?

And Evans is going to spin this as a good thing?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ah, Ballard Street

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is grocery fresh.

Working Daze hasn't been the same since /r/incels got shut down.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a window into sadness.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Goddamit I actually laughed at a Working Daze what the hell

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 9, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 9, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 9, 1986)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For those who don't know, this is Turkish ice cream. It stays solid for longer than other types of ice cream and the vendors use this aspect to troll people.

Tracksuit

I like the implication in the last panel that the Emperor still accepts the premise.

Mother From Another Country

Literally this reference is nonsensical. Since Adelina Sotnikova was eighteen when this comic first ran, there's no reason anyone from the Mother's younger days would have called her that.

Metaphorically the joke is more complex. Sotnikova was infamous for getting a gold medal in figure skating during the 2014 Winter Olympics in spite of the fact that her routine included an obvious error. By contrast Kim Yuna, the South Korean entry, holder of a huge number of world records and probably the single most highly acclaimed figure skater in the world, performed a perfect routine and only made second place.

This was very controversial at the time. I'm positive I heard about it in English language news too, not just the South Korean news. Yet there's no mention of the controversy now on anyone's Wikipedia page. Even more hilariously, Sotnikova has had no career to speak of since then, which would appear to validate the argument commonly made at the time that the event was rigged. Kim Yuna is now retired (figure skaters tend to retire young) and doing promotional work for the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang South Korea. The entire county of Pyeongchang is only forty thousand people so I don't have a clue how or why they're hosting the 2018 Olympics.

That's an awful lot of context for a one-off statement that just amounts to "haha they called you that because you secretly suck" but whatever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Simian_Prime posted:

Goddamit I actually laughed at a Working Daze what the hell

This one was actually pretty good. It happens, broken clock etc.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cat News loving rules.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell What is this supposed to be??? Besides bad.

Missed an opportunity for a "harespray" joke.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pancho Jueves posted:

Missed an opportunity for a "harespray" joke.

I still don't understand what the joke's even supposed to be

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Calaveron posted:

I still don't understand what the joke's even supposed to be

He's pretending to be a giant, herbivorous dragon. To this end he has used hairspray to make his ears stay in the shape of horns. There is no punchline.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

This one was actually pretty good. It happens, broken clock etc.

I dunno. I think it'd be more effective if the burn wasn't coming from a doughball whose main personality trait is "obsesses over nerd stuff."

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tiggum posted:

He's pretending to be a giant, herbivorous dragon. To this end he has used hairspray to make his ears stay in the shape of horns. There is no punchline.

Is this a case where he dreamt the strip and woke up laughing and immediately created it and never went back later after shaking off the drowsiness and the stupidness to realize he had written a strip nobody on Earth would find entertaining and whip himself with a nail tied to the end of a rope for being such a jackass?

• Locked thread