Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Retrospective hate for Callahan is a perfect storm of:
-Tortorella's hard-grinding, shot-blocking, Stu-Bickeling hockey falling out of favor
-Feeling like an overperforming 2nd/3rd line tweener instead of an elite top line talent
-Asking for (and getting) a massive contract
-The mere thought of an aging/declining guy getting a big contract on NYR, which haunts us every day
-Being traded for a lovable Hall of Famer who did fancy things like elevating the puck when he shot it
-Getting really bad a year into that massive contract, albeit elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stu-Bickeling is my new favorite verb now, thanks

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
callahan was cool and i still like him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

Retrospective hate for Callahan is a perfect storm of:
-Tortorella's hard-grinding, shot-blocking, Stu-Bickeling hockey falling out of favor
-Feeling like an overperforming 2nd/3rd line tweener instead of an elite top line talent
-Asking for (and getting) a massive contract
-The mere thought of an aging/declining guy getting a big contract on NYR, which haunts us every day
-Being traded for a lovable Hall of Famer who did fancy things like elevating the puck when he shot it
-Getting really bad a year into that massive contract, albeit elsewhere

I don't know anyone who thought Callahn should have been anything more than what he was on the ice for the Rangers...most people loved his play and knew he wasn't the most talented guy but he put up solid "2nd line" numbers for several years. Now if you're saying that it was blatantly obvious that he wasn't worth a huge contract and that it was very likely his body was going to break down playing the hard style that he did and that's why people were annoyed that a productive grinder was asking for a ton of money then yeah, that was it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DJExile posted:

jesus christ Niemi got waived again

Good.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ahahaha, fuuuuck you, Niemi. Now someone waive lethonen.

Oh, that's us. gently caress.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So... does Vegas claim Niemi?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

grack posted:

So... does Vegas claim Niemi?

It's a real-life version of fantasy hockey where you need a goalie and he's only acceptable because he's played this year and will get you your minimum weekly starts if nothing else.

e- I like Goalie Bob Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SergeiBobrovsky/status/930171844279144448

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 14, 2017

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

T-Bone posted:

Apparently Zajac is supposed to come back this week, that's pretty crazy I had no idea he was that close. Mueller getting hurt tonight probably means they keep Prout around when he was probably going to get sent down otherwise. The D is still questionable as gently caress but man that's going to be a shockingly competent group with Zajac/MoJo coming back. It's crazy that as good as Hischier has been, Bratt still looks better. It's like the Devils added two top three talents in the same year.

There are times when I forget that Dalton Prout doesnt play for CBJ anymore, and its when I'm reminded that you traded Kyle Quincey for DALTON PROUT.

His dad makes chairs, ya know.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Reminder that Florida claimed Niemi and saved the Pens from his 800k cap hit just so they could play him one game and then waive him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lobsterboy posted:

There are times when I forget that Dalton Prout doesnt play for CBJ anymore, and its when I'm reminded that you traded Kyle Quincey for DALTON PROUT.

His dad makes chairs, ya know.

If I'm gonna get mad at Shero it's for taking Zacha over Provorov/Werenski and McLeod over McAvoy not trading poo poo for poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I seem to remember everyone liking the Zacha pick but I just re-read the thread and...

Haha Zacha is crap

ThinkTank posted:

Haha Zacha is crap

Twin Cinema posted:

Whoa, this seems like a bad pick, but what do I know?

Hand Knit posted:

Bad pick for New Jersey. Woop Woop

And in fact, even I thought it was a poo poo pick. Mind you I liked Crouse as a mid first round pick that year.

It's great to read that thread as you approach the Boston picks. So much hope.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Zacha could be like a more talented Zubrus if he had any balls and that would be OK but he's a big old pussy

McLeod who knows, he seems like a Miles Wood that we took in the first round

this team with Werenski and McAvoy uggggggggh, but then Butcher doesn't come here probably so who knows

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Zacha skates well, has a cannon of a shot, has great vision and is one of the biggest guys on the ice. These would normally be great things but he never loving shoots and plays like he’s 160 pounds. He’s at least young and has good defensive acumen and looks like he belongs on NHL ice. McLeod looks like he has no idea what he’s doing. Thank god for Jesper Bratt.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah Zacha looks like a top 6 contributor at least, but gently caress Werenski/Provorov-McAvoy and Greene/Severson, I'd trade Butcher/Zacha/McLeod for that any day oh well, he hosed those picks up, we'll see to what degree.

Anyway, I think this is the best hockey video on the internet, starts off comparing a playoff series to the (just completed) Gulf War then segues into Mike Milbury dressing an entire team of goons to (rightfully) kill Ulf Samuelsson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2Eq30f7xI

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 14, 2017

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Mark Jankowski is pretty awesome. Had 2 goals and an assist, and about 4 other close chances for the hattrick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96WGx_0nU4

Jay Feaster was right?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ginette Reno posted:

Reminder that Florida claimed Niemi and saved the Pens from his 800k cap hit just so they could play him one game and then waive him.

His next transaction will be LumpyGumby announcing he has acquired a Niemi Panthers jersey for $20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

His next transaction will be LumpyGumby announcing he has acquired a Niemi Panthers jersey for $20

hahahaha

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

It's great to read that thread as you approach the Boston picks. So much hope.

Yeah that was a fun one. I was having beers with a Flyers fan buddy of mine and we were both pretty pessimistic going into it, then they got Provorov and he was obviously stoked. I got excited, I was even happy when they took Zboril since I actually wanted the Bruins to take him. Then DeBrusk and Senyshehn (I still can't spell his fuckin name)....christ.

Funnily enough that draft ended up ok for Boston. DeBrusk is in the NHL now and looks alright, although still pretty raw, and they drafted extremely well in the second round by getting Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson, and Lauzon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

And in fact, even I thought it was a poo poo pick. Mind you I liked Crouse as a mid first round pick that year.

Zacha was and is one of those guys who got slapped with the "defensively responsible" label early on, so that excused any and all shortcomings offensively (not to mention defensively). He was a decent, albeit largely underwhelming player at the OHL level and guys like that rarely go on to do anything noteworthy at the NHL level. He didn't even flash potential, if I hadn't been specifically looking for him due to his high ranking I wouldn't have been able to pick him out from his Sarnia teammates that year. He was clearly the type of guy that had the size and strength to contribute in a bottom six role, but for a top 10 pick you want to aim higher than that. Just like Crouse, he would've been fine as a late first round gamble. The concept of 'NHL size' isn't totally nuts, but you really have to aim high with a top ten pick.

If the Devils hadn't lucked into Hischier last year, people would be wondering what they were doing wasting their most valuable rebuild picks on such low ceiling players. Every one of the Devils' first round picks has been a 200 foot except for the attacking 100 player since probably Zach Parise 14 years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/930447658166075393

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

If the Devils hadn't lucked into Hischier last year, people would be wondering what they were doing wasting their most valuable rebuild picks on such low ceiling players. Every one of the Devils' first round picks has been a 200 foot except for the attacking 100 player since probably Zach Parise 14 years ago.

Parise has always been a pretty good two-way player as well, though I can't recall if he was billed as such when he first came into the league.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Parise has always been a pretty good two-way player as well, though I can't recall if he was billed as such when he first came into the league.

He wasn't, in fact he was drafted as a centre and moved to a wing due (in part) to concerns over his defensive ability. He's evolved into an excellent two way player, but the reasons he slipped in 03 were the usual too small/one dimensional stuff you see today.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

For the next few months you're gonna hear us be pretty pissed that Josh Leivo and Sosh are in the press box instead of Martin

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

2016 Michael McLeod
2015 Pavel Zacha
2014 John Quenneville
2013 N/A
2012 Stefan Matteau
2011 Adam Larsson
2010 Jon Merill
2009 Jacob Josefson
2008 Mattias Tedenby
2007 N/A
2006 Matt Corrente
2005 Nicklas Bergfors
2004 Travis Zajac
2003 Zach Parise

To be fair, Larsson and Zacha are the only Top 10 picks in there since Parise. You'd really figure that a team that has not qualified for the playoffs since 2012 and that hasn't won a division since 2010 would have a better prospect pool.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
FOR FUCKS SAKES BERGEVIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Habs claim Niemi

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Arizona traded Louis Domingue to Tampa for Leighton and Tye McGinn.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tye mcginn sucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/930480906808078336

lmao

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

hifi posted:

tye mcginn sucks

Yeah. It’s an AHL move cuz Syracuse has been terrible this year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MON means Moncton, right?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hockles posted:

MON means Moncton, right?

Price presser later in the afternoon

Whos ready for Price: LTIR edition

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wasn't Tye Mcginn the one who got his face hella sliced open when he was in philly?

E: Oh, Mike Brown beat the poo poo out of him, that was it

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

Arizona traded Louis Domingue to Tampa for Leighton and Tye McGinn.

I guess Domingue has been the worst goalie for Arizona and that is really saying something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just --

Oh yeah that's the feeling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this one of those deals where Niemi instantly gets moved down to the AHL team as a not-so-subtle nudge that the league don't want him anymore and it's time to retire?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

Is this one of those deals where Niemi instantly gets moved down to the AHL team as a not-so-subtle nudge that the league don't want him anymore and it's time to retire?

With any other team yes, but it's Marc Bergevin so who loving knows

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'M SCREAMING

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

xzzy posted:

When a player is claimed from waivers, they can't be sent down to the AHL by the claiming team. They can be put on waivers again, but the original waiving team can take them back if they're going to the AHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
teams should just keep putting Niemi on waivers and passing him around the league without playing him

• Locked thread