Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jean's probably a big fan of Namor since he totally Cyclopsed Cyclops with Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/930120266444713984

Yeah, Laura, Kurt and probably Dani. Not sure who else is in there.

Skwirl posted:

Did Dani ever get her powers back? Not that she needs them to be in a book, I just never finished The New Mutants after Necrosha.
She has some Valkyrie powers now, as far as I recall. From Fearless Defenders (post-Fear Itself).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Burly guy in the upper left might be Beast?

Edit: Apparently not!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wow, Gentle is a deep cut.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I never understood why they decided to make Namor a mutant and have anything to do with the X-Men, let alone the Phoenix force. Granted that was all during my twenty year break from superhero comics so they may have been done well, I just don't like the idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

davebo posted:

I never understood why they decided to make Namor a mutant and have anything to do with the X-Men, let alone the Phoenix force. Granted that was all during my twenty year break from superhero comics so they may have been done well, I just don't like the idea.

X-Men were the most popular Marvel characters, so they decided to make Namor "Marvel's first mutants."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Laura's on the team? Sold.

Are any of the current X books ending?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's because Namor is amazing. Whether or not it makes any sense for him to be a mutants, and I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other, I do think he fits in with the X-Men corner of Marvel more than anywhere else these days. Outside of some manner of Fantastic Four book he doesn't really have a place anymore.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Are the movie rights for Namor still a complete mess?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why is he wearing a shirt? Shirtless Namor all day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Phoenix Force thing was just because it would be fun to make Namor 1/5 omnipotent for a bit because why not?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What the hell, Namor? That green armour poo poo is vile, get this man back in the Speedos or the awesome split black number, stat. I have never heard of Gentle, who he?

Also, Gabby is on the team too? Sweeeeeeet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

What the hell, Namor? That green armour poo poo is vile, get this man back in the Speedos or the awesome split black number, stat. I have never heard of Gentle, who he?

Apparently a lot of people feel the same as you (including me)
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/930136981480267778

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Sentinel Red posted:

Why is he wearing armor anyway? I don't know enough about Namor. He's super strong but can you just like, shoot him with a gun? If so I guess the armor makes sense.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/930149649205182464

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Decent mix of the old and new there for sure.

@Skwirl - last I saw, Dani is still without her mutant power but may still be a valkyrie, not sure. If someone wanted to retcon it with a Reed and Franklin recreated her with her powers, I certainly wouldn’t complain but she’s awesome enough to get by without. If only they’d use her more often...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Not exactly drawing out the suspense of the reveal are they?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

davebo posted:

Why is he wearing armor anyway? I don't know enough about Namor. He's super strong but can you just like, shoot him with a gun? If so I guess the armor makes sense.

He's pretty much bulletproof. It's just a look.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

davebo posted:

Put me in the camp shocked, SHOCKED they covered Namor's chest. He's normally nigh-invulnerable, surviving a full blast from Black Bolt's voice point blank with a knife embedded in his chest and the subsequent fall from low orbit, though he does have get weaker the longer he goes dehydrated. He did recently get decapitated via eye lasers, so maybe a neck brace is in order (and there it is!)

e: he does make Gentle kind of redundant too, because Gentle's whole thing is hulking out but at the cost of his health and peace of mind, whereas Namor is one of the strongest beings on the planet all of the time and has no qualms with violence

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 13, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'll be reading this because I'm interested, but I can't help but be a little underwhelmed as well? There's just no synergy to this lineup. Out of the entire cast, it feels like the only people who have any connection with each other at all is Jean and Kurt, and even then it'd be a bit of a stretch to say their history is all that involved.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is Namor purposely doing the Cannonball pose? If so lol

BrianWilly posted:

I'll be reading this because I'm interested, but I can't help but be a little underwhelmed as well? There's just no synergy to this lineup. Out of the entire cast, it feels like the only people who have any connection with each other at all is Jean and Kurt, and even then it'd be a bit of a stretch to say their history is all that involved.

Pretty sure Laura and Gabby Kinney have some connection, not sure what though

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I might have conflated them into one single person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Namor is also nigh-invulnerable when he's blastin'.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really prefer Laura's black outfit. It's bulletproof and all.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 13, 2017

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

All-New Wolverine is good enough that I'm willing to give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. I mean, presumably, editorial wasn't like "YOU HAVE TO HAVE GENTLE ON YOUR TEAM."

Trinary is a dumb name, though.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I love Tom Taylor's writing, Laura Kinney is my favourite character and I of course love Gabby (who should be extra glorious with Namor as a foil) while both Jeans are interesting characters so I welcome the return of the older Jean. I trust that Taylor has a good hook for Trinary too.

But yeah, a little underwhelmed at the team because I'm not huge on Nightcrawler or Gentle, especially when we could have Anole and Rockslide. Being honest however, I think every X-Announcement will be a bit underwhelming to me until the Academy X kids make their long-overdue comeback unless the team is almost entirely my older favourites. As stated, above, I'm sure he has solid plans for Nightcrawler and Gentle so I'll shut up.

To reiterate, I am excited for this, especially with how underwhelming Astonishing, Blue and Gold have been for me (they're just... fine at best, but severely lacking in energy for me) so it would be great to have a kick-butt X-team book alongside Gen X, which is obviously a different feel but very awesome.
Looks like Gambit or Rogue are joining X-Men Red too: https://twitter.com/MarkPaniccia/status/930154241834082311

Re: the upcoming Mothervine stuff, I did see some pure speculation that Emma Frost will betray the Mothervine villains she's allying with and repower some mutants who weren't in the 198. That would be an interesting plotline if she was written well. I don't think they can make this an 'Emma was Right' situation after the poor writing in DoX/IvX for her, but it would help, potentially.

Presumably, this is for Kitty and Peter? https://www.cbr.com/marvel-teases-wedding-of-the-century/ Storm and T'Challa are consciously not doing that again despite rekindling their relationship, and I can't really think of any other significant couples (Brother Voodoo and Scarlet Witch have just started flirting while Peter and Bobbi seems unlikely...) unless Kelly Thompson has to beat up the entire X-office and get Rambit hitched! Considering how diligent her research was on Gambit and Rogue, she might have Tower of Babel'd the Editors.

EDIT: Goddammit, I forgot Hulkling and Wiccan. They're not in anything though so it'd be an odd choice unless they are due to feature heavily soon.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's people who don't love Nightcrawler? Everybody loves the fuzzy blue elf.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma's goal was to destroy the Inhumans. Had she been successful we'd have been spared the ABC show.

Emma was right.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Metalshark posted:

I love Tom Taylor's writing, Laura Kinney is my favourite character and I of course love Gabby (who should be extra glorious with Namor as a foil)

I didn't even think about the glorious banter those two are bound to have

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gabby is going to call everyone out on their poo poo and it will be glorious.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jean (like, actual Jean) and Kurt don't even have that much history together, they've actually hardly been in the X-Men at the same time (or on the same X-Men squad, at least). Rachel is the big connection they share, really.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
True - strictly speaking, Jean probably met Kurt a couple of times before taking the Jamaica Bay siltnap for a few years, then spent years with X-Factor only to finally hook up with the X-Men again while Kurt was with XCalibur.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

True - strictly speaking, Jean probably met Kurt a couple of times before taking the Jamaica Bay siltnap for a few years, then spent years with X-Factor only to finally hook up with the X-Men again while Kurt was with XCalibur.

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t know anything about Gentle, but after all the poo poo Namor pulled with Wakanda, they’ll make a fun pair.

Looks like a fun team. Surprised there’s no Logan or other Phoenix type on the team. I’d kind of love to see Quentin Quire interact with anyone on that team.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

There's people who don't love Nightcrawler? Everybody loves the fuzzy blue elf.

If only he came with a German dictionary. Why it is still impossible for some writers to google some phrases instead of mangling something German sounding is annoying and incomprehensible - like most of Kurt's "German".
But I'm sure Taylor will do well, his ANW is one of my favourite books.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.

Can't swear to it (I checked out immediately after AoA finished) but I don't think so. Kurt was in a coma following the Mutant Massacre, and came round on Muir Island right after the Fall of the Mutants 'killed' off the X-Men, at which point he hooked up with Kitty and Rachel and they all seemed to just hang over on that side of the pond in their own little bubble doing wacky Excalibur stuff for years. He knows 'Jean' a lot more than Jean actually knows him, I think, so unless I'm missing something, this will be their first real team time together.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nightcrawler was in Excalibur through most of the 90s, so unless they were playing really loose with geography, they probably wouldn'tve hung out too much.

Does Nightcrawler still not have a soul, anyway?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Does Nightcrawler still not have a soul, anyway?

I think he got his soul back but now can't die because he escaped from heaven. He's my favorite X-Man of all time but even I can't be arsed to keep up with that stupid plot thread.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's also weird/funny that young Jean already has a better relationship with Magneto than OG Jean ever has, especially if she comes back still thinking 'he' killed her. The reason she refused to even get in touch with the X-Men first time she came back was because they were palling with Mags and by the time the teams reunited, he had pulled another heel turn. I can't recall a point where she hasn't seen him as an antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
gently caress yeah Laura/Gabby/Namor/And The Rest. Course, if I had my way I'd swap Nightcrawler out for Pixie, Gentle for Rockslide, and ah hell I'll give New Girl a chance but we need Anole so swap out Jean for him.