Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, it's a two-generation newer processor, and the enhanced version of it at that, and actively cooled. It drat well better in theory. Though in practice, nothing I use is anything that really messes with the old one, and using both regularly, I don't really notice any difference. It'll be supported longer, though, which is probably important, since I'm not really sure what they can add in the future to make an upgrade worth it.

Oh yeah wow, A8 to A10. Found a decent comparison rundown here https://www.idropnews.com/news/apple-tv/apple-tv-4k-vs-apple-tv-comparison/49767/

So I'll def go for a 4K. Have app sizes been creeping up or should 32GB be good if I'm not playing games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah. Though it's only a $20 difference, so maybe worth it anyway.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Minidust posted:

I'm about to upgrade my internet and cut some cords, so I may finally replace my 3rd gen Apple TV. Does the 4K offer improved app performance over 4th gen? Don't care much if UHD is the only draw, though future-proofing it wouldn't be too bad I guess.

yeah it does, to the point where most little loading pauses are gone. you're not going to notice it as much as with like an ios device where you're bouncing between apps all the time, but it's a nice upgrade. might as well spend the extra if you're in the market

Minidust posted:

Oh yeah wow, A8 to A10. Found a decent comparison rundown here https://www.idropnews.com/news/apple-tv/apple-tv-4k-vs-apple-tv-comparison/49767/

So I'll def go for a 4K. Have app sizes been creeping up or should 32GB be good if I'm not playing games?

it's really aggressive with streaming stuff rather than downloading it outright, afaik most people struggle to fill up 32GB

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Most apps are just glorified web pages anyway.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

What really pisses me off though is how many apps are starting to have autoplaying video, much like their terrible web counterparts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Meijer near you they are going to be selling the AppleTV with a $50 gift card on Black Friday

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Generic Monk posted:

afaik most people struggle to fill up 32GB
Serious but pretty unimportant question: how can they tell?

Under settings and manage storage, I see a list of apps and their individual sizes, but I haven’t been able to find a total anywhere.

E: for minidust, looks like the video-related apps I have are generally between 1 and 40 MB each. Mahjong is 55 MB.

And, um, Yoga Studio is 147, but it’s better to Airplay the phone/iPad app.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 14, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

What really pisses me off though is how many apps are starting to have autoplaying video, much like their terrible web counterparts.

This drives me nuts with the Netflix app.

Also, amazon needs to hurry up and get their Apple TV app out there.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

This drives me nuts with the Netflix app.

Also, amazon needs to hurry up and get their Apple TV app out there.

Just sign up for movies anywhere. Its pretty slick, free and they already have an app.

Edit: I guess this doesnt work if you amazon for tv shows. I purchase movies through amazon but tend to stick to netflix, hulu and hbo for shows so it was fine for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It also doesn't work for Amazon's "free" streaming movies.

Or for a couple movie studios that aren't on the Movies Anywhere app.

Though you don't need a specific app since they should all be in your iTunes account if you link it, also.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Generic Monk posted:

yeah it does, to the point where most little loading pauses are gone. you're not going to notice it as much as with like an ios device where you're bouncing between apps all the time, but it's a nice upgrade. might as well spend the extra if you're in the market

it's really aggressive with streaming stuff rather than downloading it outright, afaik most people struggle to fill up 32GB

Endless Mike posted:

Nah. Though it's only a $20 difference, so maybe worth it anyway.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cool. Thanks!

One more thing, I recall some fuss over a lack of TV mode switching with the 4K, where it enforces a consistent resolution & refresh rate across all content. I don't care about upscaled resolution too much, but I'd be really bothered if it was doing any type of frame interpolation (i.e. the "soap opera affect") on video content. I may just be incorrectly conflating the concepts of refresh rate and framerate here.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 15, 2017

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Minidust posted:

Cool. Thanks!

One more thing, I recall some fuss over a lack of TV mode switching with the 4K, where it enforces a consistent resolution & refresh rate across all content. I don't care about upscaled resolution too much, but I'd be really bothered if it was doing any type of frame interpolation (i.e. the "soap opera affect") on video content. I may just be incorrectly conflating the concepts of refresh rate and framerate here.

I don’t recall any soap opera affect. That being said, the newest tvOS beta adds options to output at the native frame rate, so you’re fine on that front regardless.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

killa-pope posted:

I don’t recall any soap opera affect. That being said, the newest tvOS beta adds options to output at the native frame rate, so you’re fine on that front regardless.
Total non-issue for me then. Great!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Cool. Thanks!

Refresh rate is the rate which your TV panel's pixels switch from one image to another (60 Hz, 120 Hz, and 240 Hz are common). Frame rate is the number of times the source does this (movies are generally 24 fps, TV can be 24 or 30 fps, video games vary, but shouldn't drop below 30 fps - modern consoles tend to adjust resolution rather than framerate to deal with this). Virtually any TV can take various framerates as inputs, but their framerate is fixed. The device sending the video and/or the TV deal with this by displaying a frame through multiple frames or refreshes, but if it's not an even multiple (e.g. a 120 hz panel will show a 24 fps frame 5 times) they will do things like 3:2 pulldown on the source. You may or may not notice the latter. Virtually every TV also has a motion smoothing feature that will interpolate frames, but a lot of people dislike this.

In any case, the current release of tvOS only lets you pick a single framerate to send to the TV, with 24 fps being better for most sources (as it skips the 3:2 pulldown and lets the TV decide what to do with it), 30 for others, and 60 fps looking better in menus (and the difference is quite jarring). The next release, currently in beta, lets you tell it to adjust its framerate based on the video source, and letting the TV decide in all cases, which is ideal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: I'm a big dummy.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 16, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just for shits and giggles, I put the Dark Sky complication in the upper corner, and along the bottom. Both of them are telling me different temperatures. What the hell? Also, why does it take 10 seconds to get my forecast when I tap on the complication? If background refresh is on (which it is for complications), shouldn't it have the temp already?

Dawg, this is the AppleTV thread.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol oops

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Quick question: I'm considering getting an ATV and moving from my FTV. In the channels app, when watching SD are there options to fill the screen or zoom the content?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It does but it’s dependent on the channel.

I wonder if the broadcaster is including a tag or info that Channels is looking for. Some channels would zoom on SD and others wouldn’t.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thwomp posted:

It does but it’s dependent on the channel.

I wonder if the broadcaster is including a tag or info that Channels is looking for. Some channels would zoom on SD and others wouldn’t.

Mine is going to be unfiltered QAM though. I get HD locals and SD basic by splitting my cable modem line through my backwoods cable company.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Letterboxing SD content on every side is the worst, I’ve never seen it outside of US cable services and I have no idea why it exists. I find older people are really good at tuning into those channels when the HD one exists though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Mine is going to be unfiltered QAM though. I get HD locals and SD basic by splitting my cable modem line through my backwoods cable company.

Then you'll likely be fine. It was only one of my broadcast SD channels that wasn't getting zoomed in when that setting was turned on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Then you'll likely be fine. It was only one of my broadcast SD channels that wasn't getting zoomed in when that setting was turned on.

Thanks! Looking to jump on that DirecTV Now + TopCashback deal to get the 4K ATV for $118 and that was the last of my use cases I needed to account for (besides Kodi, but know that's not happening).

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Just posting to say that this thing has the best dang picture quality of any box I've tried so far. HBO streams are rear end and this makes them look gooood

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I've been really impressed. I tried one of the random 3rd party Twitch apps since there's no official one and I don't know what voodoo magic it's doing but streams look 10x better than they do on my PC.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is the 4K power cord any different from the 3rd gen? I'm about to upgrade and wondering if I can just use the same wires and swap boxes.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Minidust posted:

Is the 4K power cord any different from the 3rd gen? I'm about to upgrade and wondering if I can just use the same wires and swap boxes.

Same plug, I'm probably on the 2nd gen plug still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure I'm using an ATV3 plug on my ATV4K.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They’re just standard non-polarized ‘figure of 8’ plugs. I have one and an hdmi cable next to a few TVs as it’s so simple to move the ATV around.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

They’re just standard non-polarized ‘figure of 8’ plugs. I have one and an hdmi cable next to a few TVs as it’s so simple to move the ATV around.
Ha, I was considering doing just that. Good to know!

Are there any system-level issues with sharing TV provider sign-in credentials between different Apple TVs? My, uh, friend might want to share some cable channel apps with his in-laws. I'm just assuming the general sign-in options are a convenience thing and have nothing to do with any limitations placed on the individual TV channel apps. This friend is also probably also gonna get additional Apple TVs for his house!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Minidust posted:

Ha, I was considering doing just that. Good to know!

Are there any system-level issues with sharing TV provider sign-in credentials between different Apple TVs? My, uh, friend might want to share some cable channel apps with his in-laws. I'm just assuming the general sign-in options are a convenience thing and have nothing to do with any limitations placed on the individual TV channel apps. This friend is also probably also gonna get additional Apple TVs for his house!

Nope, we have multiple sign ins on our ATV. It'd kind of a widely accepted practice and outside of major streaming services like DirecTV Now which do GeoIP stuff, no one cares if you share a login to get to the Disney app or whatever.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FCKGW posted:

Nope, we have multiple sign ins on our ATV. It'd kind of a widely accepted practice and outside of major streaming services like DirecTV Now which do GeoIP stuff, no one cares if you share a login to get to the Disney app or whatever.

Sweet!

So I've been playing around with the new ATV for a few hours (my first since gen 3) and I'm digging it way more than I expected. Really impressed with how the Siri Remote controlled my TV's volume, and even powered it on, without me having to configure anything. Now I'm messing with a PS Vue trial, and wow. If a person's on the fence about Internet-based TV service, I'd have to imagine a current-gen ATV could really sell them on it. Really great experience. Tried Vue on my Roku 1 too for kicks and wow, there's no comparison.

So now that I'm catching up to a lot of people and enjoying the benefits of HDMI-CEC for the first time - is there any way to actually turn my TV off with the Siri remote? I know I can long-press the home button to put the ATV itself to sleep, but my TV then switches inputs and remains powered on. Not a big issue but it would really complete the slick package if I could power my TV down without grabbing a separate remote.

Also I'm intrigued by the "TV" app. Basically it aggregates on-demand content to (most of?) the video apps you're signed into. Is there a way to actually "bookmark" movies/shows or is it meant to function as more of a "discovery" service?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 22, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
HDMI-CEC is kind of a shitshow. It depends on your setup, for example my surround sound will match my ATVs power state, but I still have to turn on/off my actual television.

As far as the TV app goes, it will populate with new/next episodes of shows you watch; long pressing the remote on the shows episode card will let you mark as watched, remove a show, etc... pretty much the only thing that doesn’t plug into it is Netflix.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ManSedan posted:

HDMI-CEC is kind of a shitshow. It depends on your setup, for example my surround sound will match my ATVs power state, but I still have to turn on/off my actual television.

As far as the TV app goes, it will populate with new/next episodes of shows you watch; long pressing the remote on the shows episode card will let you mark as watched, remove a show, etc... pretty much the only thing that doesn’t plug into it is Netflix.

Yeah, I tried using CEC with the ATV and Bravia and AHC from the Bravia to the Denon. ATV would turn the Bravia on and off and use the correct input. At power on the Bravia would turn on the Denon. But the Sony TV *refuses* to pass the PCM audio to my Denon over HDMI, so I've got this 5.1 system giving me 2-channel stereo. I find out the only real way to pass the full audio to my Denon is to use TOS-Link, but then AHC control is out the window. So frustrating.

I finally gave up and went back to ATV, PS4, ShieldTV go into the Denon. The Denon sends video to the TV and everything is managed with Harmony Hub. I lose Siri (not really I just need to pull the remote from the drawer), but I use the Hub companion remote so I only need the one for everything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Minidust posted:

Also I'm intrigued by the "TV" app. Basically it aggregates on-demand content to (most of?) the video apps you're signed into. Is there a way to actually "bookmark" movies/shows or is it meant to function as more of a "discovery" service?
I’m not at home right now, but some combo of long presses or menu items on a show should give you the option of “add to Up Next” which is kind of a combo of bookmarks and history.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m not at home right now, but some combo of long presses or menu items on a show should give you the option of “add to Up Next” which is kind of a combo of bookmarks and history.

Wait, there's *more* to it than "Huh, well that looks like an unholy mess. Pass."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ya lost me, sorry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ya lost me, sorry.
This part bolded:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I never saw it as anything as some sort of mixed-up hash of all the services and apps I use. I'd scroll through it and not really see the point. If you can customize it, then I clearly missed something and it warrants re-visiting.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anecdotal but the TV app has already clued me in to some movies that I had no idea I had access to. Like stuff from the FX or TBS apps or whatever. Seems like a decent companion to Netflix if you're in the mood to just browse and watch something on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh I get it now. Yeah for a while I thought it was just a history of what I had watched, but then found the Add To option. I don’t know of any way to stop it from automatically adding what you watch to Up Next, though.

I was also surprised by the utility of the TV app if you have a cable subscription. I’m not about to sing its praises, but it’s at least a bit useful.

And for Minidust, I think the TBS/FX/etc. handful of movies change every month. As in, on the first.