Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She dropped a house on him, blew him up, nailed him, set him on fire, electrocuted him

And the most criminally underrated thing

She head butted him with a decapitated head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jason vs Carrie is epic

I rewatched Part 5 the other day. The best part is still Tommy's inexplicable kung-fu skills. Dude was breaking out kicks you'd learn from an old bum in Shenmue

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
5 is my favorite if only because they take Shelly from part 3, rename him and do what they should have done to him in the first 10 minutes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DeathChicken posted:

The best part is still Tommy's inexplicable kung-fu skills.

Are you telling me that if you went head-to-head against Jason once you wouldn't devote yourself to being combat ready for the next time? Tommy learned from Alice's mistake.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
At least there's a reason why Tommy has all 10s.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sticky Nate posted:

One of my favorite parts in Part VI is the two boys agreeing that they're going to die.

"So what did you want to be when you grew up" is one of my favorite lines.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Are you telling me that if you went head-to-head against Jason once you wouldn't devote yourself to being combat ready for the next time? Tommy learned from Alice's mistake.

Alice's mistake was killing Mrs. Voorhees and not believing that Jason was still alive

:goonsay:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joylessdivision posted:

Alice's mistake was killing Mrs. Voorhees and not believing that Jason was still alive

:goonsay:

She did believe Jason was still alive. She tried to warn them. If she had taken some rigorous martial arts training in the interim, she probably would have judo flipped Jason into the fridge and axe-kicked him in the face.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

She did believe Jason was still alive. She tried to warn them. If she had taken some rigorous martial arts training in the interim, she probably would have judo flipped Jason into the fridge and axe-kicked him in the face.

But she saw Jason as a little kid in a dream, not exactly something that would make me prepare to hone my body for deadly combat.

Part 4 Jason on the other hand, yeah I'm signing up for every possible combat sport so if and when that fucker shows up again I'll be ready (to be murdered)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember reading that Jason has an actual real-life developmental issue where like, liquid builds up in the skull as a baby and puts pressure on your brain, and that's why he's mentally a child and his head is shaped that way :( Poor kid didn't deserve to grow up in the woods, get killed, get resurrected, get killed again and sent to hell, get resurrected again by a guy who was burned alive for killing children, then shot into space. He was just trying to do right by his mama. :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And protect his weed.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

5 is my favorite if only because they take Shelly from part 3, rename him and do what they should have done to him in the first 10 minutes.

Part 5 is less fun now that I know that guy probably raped Corey Haim.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wait, what guy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The guy who played Joey. Corey Haim's mother was saying he assaulted Haim (he in turn is accusing Charlie Sheen of doing the same)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

She dropped a house on him, blew him up, nailed him, set him on fire, electrocuted him

And the most criminally underrated thing

She head butted him with a decapitated head.

I think she also tries to psychically crush his skull at one point.

Which is exactly what she should have been doing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's the general opinion on Part 8 the movie? I've heard that Jason only Takes Manhattan for like 12 minutes near the end

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danaru posted:

What's the general opinion on Part 8 the movie? I've heard that Jason only Takes Manhattan for like 12 minutes near the end

It's not great. Jason looks boring compared to the previous movie, they gently caress with series continuity (lol) and yeah he's in Manhattan for all of 2 minutes and the rest is either boat or soundstage meant to be Manhattan streets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jason really takes Vancouver. The movie is probably the worst F13 flick.

It's likely that they blew half the film's budget on a single 30 second long panning shot of times square.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Danaru posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan is saved from being the worst Friday the 13th movie only by the existence of Jason Goes to Hell. Manhattan is bad by the standards set by the series, but still fun in a really, really stupid way. Goes to Hell is disappointing by any standard you can think of, and isn’t even watchably bad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When I watch Part 9, I'm watching up to the scene where everyone's high-fiving over the pool of Jason salsa, then skipping to the credits. :v:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Danaru posted:

It's really loving weird and bad. As others have mentioned most of the movie takes place on some sort of "graduation cruise" that departs from what looks like Maine and is headed to NYC. It's a huge ship with a restaurant, boxing ring, dance floor, shuffleboard, etc, except there are only like 11 kids and one teacher onboard. The main character has a dog and they make a big deal out of this, but the dog does literally nothing in the movie. The ending is so bad I don't even want to think about it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

the movie takes place on some sort of "graduation cruise" that departs from what looks like Maine and is headed to NYC.

Crystal Lake is in New Jersey.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It stinks that one of the worst Jasons in the movies is one of the best characters in the game. I kinda hate being Part 8 because he was in such a lovely movie, but his only real competition is Part IV who has gently caress-all traps and short Shift.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Just watched 5 for the first time last night. That sure was...something.

E: Waaaay more breasts than the previous movies too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Just watched 5 for the first time last night. That sure was...something.

E: Waaaay more breasts than the previous movies too.

Way more than any other movie in the entire franchise

The Remake is the only one that comes close. 5 is the first one to be kind of exploitative with nudity, which is hilarious given the reputation the films got from critics.

4 had kind of gratuitous nudity but 5 took it to a whole other level.

The main thing with 5 is that it is a very meanspirited movie, more so than most of the others. You either get into that or you don't.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Way more than any other movie in the entire franchise

The Remake is the only one that comes close. 5 is the first one to be kind of exploitative with nudity, which is hilarious given the reputation the films got from critics.

4 had kind of gratuitous nudity but 5 took it to a whole other level.

The main thing with 5 is that it is a very meanspirited movie, more so than most of the others. You either get into that or you don't.

That's funny, the first thing I came away with when the credits rolled is that it was pretty meanspirited.

And the nudity in 4 I totally bought. Kids in the 80's skinny dipping, cool.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That's funny, the first thing I came away with when the credits rolled is that it was pretty meanspirited.

Yeah, it is without question the sleaziest film.

Like the victims in the movie aren't a bunch of awful people that have gone somewhere they shouldn't

They're literally teenagers who have mental health problems and need counseling. They've done NOTHING wrong.

Reggie loses his entire remaining family in an ugly, brutal way.

Random people get murked for no goddamn reason.

If you can enjoy that, and I do for a few reasons, it makes for a fun time. If you don't then that's just another thing to turn you away from it. 5 is the movie where morality went to die.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

"Jason goes to Hell" is better than "Jason takes Vancouver via cargo ship". JGTH has a goddamn swat team rappelling out of trees to blow him the gently caress up with a mortar barrage.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Danaru posted:

Part 8 was notoriously screwed by the studio. I'd go so far as to say that the story about how the movie was made is a better, more interesting story than the movie.

IIRC, it got its budget cut by half shortly after production began, so an entire movie that was meant to take place in New York ended up in a badly-disguised Vancouver for 12 minutes of run time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On the other hand it has Jason vs Boxer which redeems the entire shitshow :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
TAKE UR BEST SHOT

MOTHERFUCKER

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

sinburger posted:

"Jason goes to Hell" is better than "Jason takes Vancouver via cargo ship". JGTH has a goddamn swat team rappelling out of trees to blow him the gently caress up with a mortar barrage.

And Creighton mother loving Duke.

I love JGTH precisely because it's such a dumb clusterfuck. 8 already took a steaming poo poo on the franchise, might as well just go nuts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

joylessdivision posted:

And Creighton mother loving Duke.

I love JGTH precisely because it's such a dumb clusterfuck. 8 already took a steaming poo poo on the franchise, might as well just go nuts.

This is also why I'm excited to get to Jason X :allears:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danaru posted:

This is also why I'm excited to get to Jason X :allears:

Exactly why I also love that dumb movie. If you can't be bothered to make a decent slasher, make a bonkers one. It worked for the Italians.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

On the other hand it has Jason vs Boxer which redeems the entire shitshow :colbert:

That was the one good scene in that entire movie.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ernest Jason Goes to Hell rules even though it feels more like a Phantasm movie than a F13 one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Which is the better movie? Jason Goes to Hell or Curse of Michael Meyers?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I actually like 8 because it knows it sucks and basks in it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Which is the better movie? Jason Goes to Hell or Curse of Michael Meyers?

Jason Goes to Hell.

As entertaining as it is to watch Paul Rudd chew scenery, that was easily one of the most tedious things I've sat through, and it was the "Producer's Cut" that Halloween fans will try to tell you is better than the theatrical cut.

This is incorrect, H6 is hot garbage, it's just a matter of to what degree depending on the version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jason Goes to Hell has the best deaths in the whole series.

• Locked thread