Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I cracked Horizon back open intending to just play the DLC but once that was done I had been so strongly reminded of how good it is that I immediately started a new full playthrough so I'm gonna go ahead and call it my goty

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danganronpa V3 is one of the few games that makes full use of the medium to gently caress with your head but it will never be considered for anything because playing the other games is necessary for full appreciation and it's a 50 hour anime novel.

And drat, Kingsway also came out this year and I need to play that this weekend.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
ted faro for most influential gamer imo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The wooded kingdom in Odyssey is such an odd mixed bag. It has what might be the most fun transformation in the game and things involving it (including the boss fight) are great. On the other hand, out of all the levels it's probably the least fun to get around in (though luncheon kingdom is close) and the dark area is arguably the worst area in the entire game. Overall there's still fun to be had but it's the only part of the game where I found myself getting aggravated with certain aspects and felt some rough edges.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

being the stretchy onion is really cool but like you say, getting around it is such a pain. i just don't like it very much

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really loved wooded kingdom, but then again I really like sand and luncheon too which people seem to be down on. If nothing else wooded has undoubtedly the best track in the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have not played a single of the GotY contenders. Am I a bad gamer :(

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

probably

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I have not played a single of the GotY contenders. Am I a bad gamer :(

it's ok not everyone has a Switch

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People don't like luncheon? I found that one to be one of the easiest to get around in and bypass barriers and stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I really loved wooded kingdom, but then again I really like sand and luncheon too which people seem to be down on. If nothing else wooded has undoubtedly the best track in the game.

Naw, Bowser kingdom has the best music

Also the worst music in the game is the beach kingdom because it used an instrument that makes you think there's a moon nearby.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

People don't like luncheon? I found that one to be one of the easiest to get around in and bypass barriers and stuff.

It's not bad but it just doesn't feel like it leaves you as many option because you have to be a fireball to go to so many places. In general by making most of the level lava it just made the level design feel like it had more large bits of space that weren't being put to great use.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hollow Knight only getting one category is kind of a crime, although it also says a lot about this year.

Horizon's everywhere, they really want to make it a big thing huh?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes things are big and popular because they're good.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

My GotY might just be TEW2, which I sure as hell didn't expect but I'm on my 3rd playthrough and still having fun which is quite an achievement for a video game. I'd really have to take a better look at everything released this year to really decide though, this has been one of the best years ever for video games after all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i liked wooded because it was the first level i realized i could kind of sequence break due to good cap jumping which opened my third eye to the movement options i used for the rest of the game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wood kingdom looks like planet wisp

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe Sonic Team perfected time travel just so they could travel back in time to release their copied stage aesthetic from Mario.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

wood kingdom looks like planet wisp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

NieR: Automata (2017)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I mean that kingdom is all about dorky robots in a nature-industrialist setting working themselves to the limit over things they don't fully understand.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i cant believe john carpenter thinks warewolf sonic is good wtf

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

John Carpenter has the wickedest Sonic OCs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic Unleashed is fine it's not a great game but it has its moments and probably wouldn't even make a list of the top ten worst Sonic games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Sonic Unleashed is fine it's not a great game but it has its moments and probably wouldn't even make a list of the top ten worst Sonic games.

Yeah hours upon hours of werehog garbage sure is a mark of a fine game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unleashed had a good soundtrack. Shame that the single jazz loop was practically all you'd ever hear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

20 minutes of RUN FAST gameplay doesn't excuse 8 hours of awful brawling and platforming and 3 hours of hunting medals in the terrible hubs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It's not bad but it just doesn't feel like it leaves you as many option because you have to be a fireball to go to so many places. In general by making most of the level lava it just made the level design feel like it had more large bits of space that weren't being put to great use.

Luncheon kingdom suffers from trying to be a lava level more than a food level imo

And yeah wooded is definitely the level I find myself warping around in the most

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
okay wtf so Persona 5 actually did come out this year, so why did literally no one else vote for it in the sheep game

I went with my gut on that one and after I lost I looked it up

and I was mad at myself for getting it wrong, but no

and there wasn't a single other vote for it? I thought goons here loved Persona

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Yeah hours upon hours of werehog garbage sure is a mark of a fine game

It's a mediocre GoW clone. It's not great but its not awful. It's just middle of the road and bland. There are far worse things in Sonic games and far worse hack n slash games out there. it only gets so much attention because people want every Sonic game to be the worst game ever I'm not saying it's a great game or even a good game but it's a game that if something likes it, whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Olive! posted:

okay wtf so Persona 5 actually did come out this year, so why did literally no one else vote for it in the sheep game

Always bet on nintendo fanboys.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Olive! posted:

idk i was shocked there were only like three votes for it or w/e; it's by far my goty and i thought it was pretty well-received around here

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

It's a mediocre GoW clone. It's not great but its not awful. It's just middle of the road and bland. There are far worse things in Sonic games and far worse hack n slash games out there. it only gets so much attention because people want every Sonic game to be the worst game ever I'm not saying it's a great game or even a good game but it's a game that if something likes it, whatever.

It's mediocre when it doesn't dip into 15fps. In those moments it's actually awful

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Evil Within 1 was one of John Carpenter's games of the year in 2014 :cool:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's poo poo

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

idk i was shocked there were only like three votes for it or w/e; it's by far my goty and i thought it was pretty well-received around here

There weren't even three votes though, it was seriously just me. Oh well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Olive! posted:

It doesn't say ZELDA anywhere on the cover.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

It's poo poo

Usually people follow up giving an opinion by explaining why they feel that way but not doing so is a bold choice and much more concise!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Usually people follow up giving an opinion by explaining why they feel that way but not doing so is a bold choice and much more concise!

Everything about the werehog levels is garbage that could be described as mediocre if you are generous as all hell and that is the vast majority of the gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My ten favorites in alphabetic order, so far.

1. The Evil Within 2
2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
3. Friday the 13th: The Game
4. Metroid: Samus Reteurns
5. NieR: Automata
6. Persona 5
7. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
8. Super Mario Odyssey
9. Super Robot Wars V
10. Tales of Berseria

More Nintendo than I expected this year.

• Locked thread