Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Hey man, I don't know if anyone has ever shared this with you, but it might do you some good: It's not really a big deal if other people have kids.

It is when they won't loving shut up when I am trying to enjoy a steak and a martini that I paid $70 for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Me [22 M] with my girlfriend [22 F] - 4 years - How do you structure conversations?

quote:

Hi, we are posting on a joint account as we have discussed this in person and are seeking a solution together.

In a nutshell, we are having some issues with conversations - I am the boyfriend - I don't really like enjoy making small talk and discussing the day to day while she gets a lot of value out of the smaller interactions that happen every day. Meanwhile, I appreciate deeper talks about common interests, but I feel like the best way to reach those topics is just by flat out talking about those topics from the get go. She feels that injecting a conversational topic like that is too forced, though I have grown used to this style of conversation with a lot of my friends growing up.

We are struggling to figure out a good compromise in terms of how to structure our conversations and engage each other in a way where we feel like we're not just trying to entertain each other. I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but would love to hear some thoughts or potential solutions.

tl;dr: We are misaligned in what we enjoy talking about

:spergin:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Three Olives posted:

There is also a huge overlap of people with children that are entitled jackasses that act like having unprotected sex is some sort of accomplishment that forces the rest of us to bow to their convenience because their special children.

If I wanted children I would have children, it's not that difficult, instead I use my time and money to craft the kind of lifestyle I want for myself which means not dealing with your obnoxious child at a nice dinner because your boyfriend forgot to pull out.

i don't have, want, or like children, but this post is veering into childfree livejournal community territory

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Hey man, I don't know if anyone has ever shared this with you, but it might do you some good: It's not really a big deal if other people have kids.

See, I really don't care for kids, don't think they're cute, don't want any of my own, and don't have any interest in talking about kid-related stuff, but this is really what it boils down to. Don't like kids, don't have them, but goddamn people are gonna have kids if they want them and you're going to lose a lot of friends if you actively hate the tiny humans that take up about 98% of their attention.

Childfree weddings are childfree weddings, though. They may not be your cup of tea, but you don't bring uninvited guests to weddings, full stop.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Three Olives posted:

There is also a huge overlap of people with children that are entitled jackasses that act like having unprotected sex is some sort of accomplishment that forces the rest of us to bow to their convenience because their special children.

If I wanted children I would have children, it's not that difficult, instead I use my time and money to craft the kind of lifestyle I want for myself which means not dealing with your obnoxious child at a nice dinner because your boyfriend forgot to pull out.

You're also not special just because you don't have kids, and the fact that you're touting a 70 dollar dinner bill as proof that you are some sort of urbane and cultured person eating at expensive restaurants is legitimately hilarious

That is how much a poor thinks an expensive steak dinner costs

Don't you live in like loving Austin or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doggles posted:

Me [22 M] with my girlfriend [22 F] - 4 years - How do you structure conversations?

:spergin:
tl;dr: We are misaligned in what we enjoy talking about

misaligned rofl

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Blade Runner posted:

You're also not special just because you don't have kids, and the fact that you're touting a 70 dollar dinner bill as proof that you are some sort of urbane and cultured person eating at expensive restaurants is legitimately hilarious

That is how much a poor thinks an expensive steak dinner costs

Don't you live in like loving Austin or something

No, that is how much a filet, salad and martini costs at Del Frisco Grille a block from my house, a place you can wear a t-shirt and jeans to and eat on the patio.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Three Olives posted:

entitled jackasses

Three Olives posted:

won't loving shut up
You talk about yourself by accident a lot.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Three Olives posted:

It is when they won't loving shut up when I am trying to enjoy a steak and a martini that I paid $70 for.

You don't enjoy anything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My bassethound would loving crush it at a wedding's dance floor but that doesn't make it ok to bring him, especially when all the weddings I've been to have had dedicated dog sitters.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Nothing is going to ruin this thread faster than Oliveposting.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The funny thing is that this thread whole heatedly agreed that drugging a retard against their will to make sure your wedding wasn't ruined was a good idea but for some reason asking that kids not be there is a horrible crime.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Not liking kids in a *insert public setting here* is the same as not liking anyone else you don't want at said public setting: complain to your partner/friends because literally no one else gives a poo poo. The parents paid to be there too. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you own the loving world on experiences.

Edit: omg you literally think kids get special treatment, and should never be treated differently or tolerated differently than an adult. Nevermind.

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 14, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lord above, are we still on this goddamned wedding thing? She took extra precaution, gave people a heads up, had the wedding receptionist handle it when the kids came out to avoid making a scene, and is even still saying she's not going to bring it up during the holidays but is asking for advice on how to handle when they're around each other to make it less tense. It's really not that big of a deal.

e: also why is anyone engaging with Three Olives

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

failing forward posted:

Not liking kids in a *insert public setting here* is the same as not liking anyone else you don't want at said public setting: complain to your partner/friends because literally no one else gives a poo poo. The parents paid to be there too. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you own the loving world on experiences.

If I started screaming at a restaurant and banging my silverware on the table I would be asked to leave immediately as would any adult but parents think it is A-OK for their children to do it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sleepwalkers posted:

Lord above, are we still on this goddamned wedding thing? She took extra precaution, gave people a heads up, had the wedding receptionist handle it when the kids came out to avoid making a scene, and is even still saying she's not going to bring it up during the holidays but is asking for advice on how to handle when they're around each other to make it less tense. It's really not that big of a deal.

e: also why is anyone engaging with Three Olives

Well no you see heres a full list as to why she's literally Hitler

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
god drat the chew toys this thread decides to clamp down on

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

failing forward posted:

Not liking kids in a *insert public setting here* is the same as not liking anyone else you don't want at said public setting
Too bad weddings are explicitly private events wherein the people holding said event get the first and last word on who attends, huh

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm starting to get ashamed of defending the lady for not wanting kids at her wedding because of Three Olives' posting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Too bad weddings are explicitly private events wherein the people holding said event get the first and last word on who attends, huh

that was a post about the childfree

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's very helpful that the top post in reddit right now is this tale of entitled assholes making other people miserable.

In case that was somehow too vague 3O you're a spoiled piece of poo poo, just FYI.

I[24 F] hide my professional goals from my boyfriend[26 M] of 3 years.

quote:

Hello, reddit.

I'm not comfortable sharing my goals with him. We had met when I was going to graduate, and while I was preparing for interviews, he told all his family about the companies I was applying to and asked them to help me practice HR questions (my primary language isn't English). This made me highly uncomfortable as I'm more of a quite worker.

Then, I thought about applying to graduate schools and told him about it. At first, he wasn't happy with the idea- he said that the degree I was going for won't make me happy and it's mostly useless these days. I stuck by and started preparing for the GRE (again a big deal as I'm not the best at English) and he started telling me that I wasn't focusing enough on GRE, and I should quit my job and prepare full time. As I ranted about work, he started talking about how my job is a dead end one and I should have chosen to work for another company (that wasn't offering me enough pay, but had a big name).

I recently quit my job and joined an average school: it isn't the best school in the world but is good enough to take me down my envisioned career path. All he said was that if you aren't in the best, average or bad doesn't matter.

Now am happy to be a student, and am working hard at school, and he requests me to stay over even when I have lots of work; he brushes it off and says that I can manage by faking output or I could study in the train on on my way, etc.

I was planning my internship interview applications and he tells me that I should apply to the top 5 firms in the world and anything less is useless (no, he isn't working in the top 5, and yes, is bitter about it).

Now, I have an interview schedules with a top 50 firm and am reluctant to tell him about it. I saw an Instagram caption of a popular Youtuber thanking her boyfriend supporting her through her phd, fitness and social media goals- and I realized how my boyfriend hasn't actually supported me with these goals. He hasn't even helped me with the language despite my asking him to- he always had me ask his family! This may/ may not be healthy.

Am I overthinking? Do we need to work through this?

tl;dr: Not sure if it's my boyfriend or my quiet nature; but I have hidden my professional goals from bf for the last few months.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Power Bottom posted:

I'm starting to get ashamed of defending the lady for not wanting kids at her wedding because of Three Olives' posting.

:same:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My girlfriend works as a waitress, a guy left his number on a note and my girlfriend says 'I consider texting him saying thanks and that I have a boyfriend'. I am dumbfounded to why she would consider that. Am I in the wrong here? (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

So I just spoke to my girlfriend, who is working as a waitress, and a guy today left a note with his phone number on it. At first we laughed about it. Then, she said "I've considered texting him saying thanks and that I have a boyfriend", which dumbfounded me quite a bit, I asked why she would do that. She said that it was brave to do, which I did not at all agree with, asking for your number face-to-face might be brave, but leaving a note is not brave, you are out the door anyway and does not have to face the rejection. I told her that I really could not see why she would even consider texting someone who leaves their number for her while she is waitressing, these guys do not want to be her friend. She told me she doesn't know why it really matters to me.

Should it not matter to me that my girlfriend is considering texting guys who leaves numbers on notes? Am I in the wrong here?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently that guy was very attractive

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

maskenfreiheit posted:

My girlfriend works as a waitress, a guy left his number on a note and my girlfriend says 'I consider texting him saying thanks and that I have a boyfriend'. I am dumbfounded to why she would consider that. Am I in the wrong here? (self.relationship_advice)

She wants to see some dick pics

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Your opinions are valuable, but it's difficult to consider them when you feel entitled to shout them in a loud and polarized manner, and respond to any attempt at a discussion by doubling down on your extreme opinion. Have a discussion, please, and open yourself up to the notion that other people have different experiences that makes their input just as worthy as yours. Otherwise, it makes this thread really unpleasant and distracting.

Rad Russian posted:

She wants to see some dick pics

To me, both the bf and gf seem like that have too much free time on their hands to care about stupid, minor poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks r/relationships for reminding me that being fated to be alone isn't so bad comparatively, when I'm feeling down about that.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Your opinions are valuable, but it's difficult to consider them when you feel entitled to shout them in a loud and polarized manner, and respond to any attempt at a discussion by doubling down on your extreme opinion. Have a discussion, please, and open yourself up to the notion that other people have different experiences that makes their input just as worthy as yours. Otherwise, it makes this thread really unpleasant and distracting.

To practice what I'm preaching: upon first read I thought, "yeah the bride is being petty." But then posters noted that she did shell out a ton of money for babysitting. And,as a father, I can identify with posters who said, "entitled parents who ignore rules are the worst." We parents get like ONE HOUR of free time a year, and I'll be damned if someone is going to bring kids to it while I'm busy trying to slam as much whiskey as I can during that hour.

Still, I think the bride wondering if she should do something after the fact is silly, since it wont change the memory. So a little from column A , a little from column B, and dont hang out with that sister anymore.

Also, three olives, Im remembering you telling that story about the no kids party and it being really funny. Like didnt you eventually find one kid outside loving with the landscaping or something?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 14, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

LethalGeek posted:

I[24 F] hide my professional goals from my boyfriend[26 M] of 3 years.

This idiot sounds like he is projecting all of his bitter feelings onto her. Even if she did get into a top 5 firm or whatever he would find a way to be a bitter pissbaby about that too.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My (31F) boyfriend (28M) has another strange habit that I’m not sure how to deal with?!

quote:

Hi Reddit community. Ok so this is my second post and I’m still learning how to use Reddit properly so please bare with me. My (31F) boyfriend (28M) of 2 years has some strange habits to say the least. The one I want to talk about today is super embarrassing.

When he needs to fart he either pulls his pants down and let’s it rip or he will pull the back of his waistband out and “waft it away”.

I have told him I think this is weird and gross and all around strange. Point blank.

He says it’s gross to have “fart particles” left in your pants and seems to think this is normal if not necessarily behavior. I think it’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever experienced. How do I get him to see this is not normal?

This is a repost since my original got removed for not having ages!

TL;DR Boyfriend pulls pants down or will air out by pulling waist band when farts. It’s weird. Please help me make him realize it’s abnormal behavior.

Mods, rename me to farticle please.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
re: the wedding story we are still discussing somehow- god loving drat, this is the whole problem with my generation. everyone is loving obsessed with culpability and technical rightness. no one can handle the incredibly obvious fact that sometimes you make all the plans and something goes awry and you have to deal with/accept something you didn't want and that you tried to prevent. loving GET OVER IT. you know who you punish by throwing the kids off the dance floor? not the mom, she knows you didn't want them there, you are giving her exactly what she desires by removing her kids- a victim angle. you do, however, hurt the kids who now feel like they did something wrong. yes yes, I know, you explicitly said no kids, and it's your wedding, and it's how you wanted it. you're still a loving rear end in a top hat for making a kid confused and sad for no reason. someone else did a thing, and now you are dealing with the fallout. loving welcome to life on earth.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

re: the wedding story we are still discussing somehow- god loving drat, this is the whole problem with my generation. everyone is loving obsessed with culpability and technical rightness. no one can handle the incredibly obvious fact that sometimes you make all the plans and something goes awry and you have to deal with/accept something you didn't want and that you tried to prevent. loving GET OVER IT. you know who you punish by throwing the kids off the dance floor? not the mom, she knows you didn't want them there, you are giving her exactly what she desires by removing her kids- a victim angle. you do, however, hurt the kids who now feel like they did something wrong. yes yes, I know, you explicitly said no kids, and it's your wedding, and it's how you wanted it. you're still a loving rear end in a top hat for making a kid confused and sad for no reason. someone else did a thing, and now you are dealing with the fallout. loving welcome to life on earth.

Actually the mother is the rear end in a top hat for ignoring the clear and present rules of the wedding. The bride here is the victim of having some one try to sneak her wedding away from her and the bride did the right thing by removing the children

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
[VA] Roommate has picked the lock to the breaker and is cutting off power to my room in order to get me to bend to his will.(self.legaladvice)

quote:

The title explains the jist of it. I am a college student living with two other students in an apartment. We have all signed separate leases. One of my roommates has the power breaker located in his room, but I am fairly sure tenants are not supposed to be able to access the breaker. My roommate has begun to cut all power to my room if I do not take the trash out frequently enough for his liking or immediately clean something like a minor mess in the sink. How should I go about handling this? I study and do school work in my room and the possibility that my power could be cut while working on an assignment is very real. Even if we were able to make peace, I would not feel comfortable the rest of the year knowing he has that power over me.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah dude the whole "but the children" angle sucks poo poo, imagine having one day where you want to be able to remember it for the rest of your life the way you wanted it to go, but no, the most important thing in the world is that you don't confuse some other person's kids whose mom can't go along with the request for the group.

If that mom didn't want her kids going through that experience, consider not dragging them away from the professional nannies, yaknow, like requested? The people that use their kids as leverage to do things that they were asked not to are kinda lovely, it's fascinating to give them a free pass like nobody could have prevented it.

The point at which mom went over and got the kids and took them on the dance floor is where things went wrong and soured the evening for multiple people, why on earth gloss over that?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

maskenfreiheit posted:

[VA] Roommate has picked the lock to the breaker and is cutting off power to my room in order to get me to bend to his will.(self.legaladvice)

I don't care about this story, but there was a really funny goon post from a long time ago about the neighbor stealing cable and the goon wired it up to the electrical system and melted his poo poo and the cops came around to find out wtf and the thread turned from "great prank!! owned that thief!!" to "lmao electricity is dangerous you rear end in a top hat, you could have murdered someone" in the span of about 30 seconds, and it owned

years before the egg challenge I guess there was the cable thief

[edit]Here's the thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1844470&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 14, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

What about Three Olive’s 70 dollar steak tho

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

jon joe posted:

What about Three Olive’s 70 dollar steak tho

Maybe you can do your part and let this dumb derail drop!!!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

Why would tenants not be allowed to access the breaker? Like has he never lived in a home with electricity before?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Lmao no you are paying for the party, the mom isn’t. Boot the mom out, if the kids are upset it is their own mom’s fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah dude the whole "but the children" angle sucks poo poo, imagine having one day where you want to be able to remember it for the rest of your life the way you wanted it to go, but no, the most important thing in the world is that you don't confuse some other person's kids whose mom can't go along with the request for the group.

If that mom didn't want her kids going through that experience, consider not dragging them away from the professional nannies, yaknow, like requested? The people that use their kids as leverage to do things that they were asked not to are kinda lovely, it's fascinating to give them a free pass like nobody could have prevented it.

The point at which mom went over and got the kids and took them on the dance floor is where things went wrong and soured the evening for multiple people, why on earth gloss over that?

10 years on your weeding day will not seam special or all that important, especially details lie this. You will realize as you watch others have weddings that the little details you obsessed over were insignificant and you will laugh at how important they were to you because literally none of the guests care if things were not perfect. poo poo happens, and the bride AND the mom should both loving get over it, because everyone else has already moved on.