Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZv8LUErG_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geralt's getting lazy I guess

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Here's an interesting read about Youtube videos: https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

why does this only have 77 views

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I haven't had time to watch it more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The bots haven't kicked in yet, it'll probably have 4 million 'views' in a day or two

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

EorayMel posted:

And like pringles, you can't just have one. Or even three bootlegs.

So have some badly photographed tf2 bootleg fireworks.

To be honest, I've seen a lot of fireworks in my days I'm not sure any art on fireworks ISN'T bootleg.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

To be honest, I've seen a lot of fireworks in my days I'm not sure any art on fireworks ISN'T bootleg.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

You can tell that's a knockoff because they spelled "eat" wrong

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Be careful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Why does this only have 9?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why is it always spiderman (usually multiple different colored spidermans) and elsa in these insane things?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NceTdz8KlYU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aesop Poprock posted:

why is it always spiderman (usually multiple different colored spidermans) and elsa in these insane things?

Because Youtube's recommended video algorithm goes crazy for em for some reason

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's usually Chinese ad agencies literally using children as click farms. Google is VERY GOOD at detecting click farms, and it's cheaper to create and self reference multiple video networks than engineer a clickfarm around Google.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Luv 2 Leave Children Unattended On The Internet

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Ok, but what are these? I really don't want to subject my recommendations to absolute gibberish...does it have anything to do with some weird Spiderman/Elsa crossover or is it just to get views and is a completely different type of video?

Also what the gently caress did I just watch??? :stare:

Herbicidal Maniac has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Nov 8, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Because Spiderman is an enormous franchise that is pretty evergreen and Frozen is the most popular thing for kids since crystal meth.

Thus, as stated, they get a lot of clicks even on their own, which means the algorithms prioritize them highest, which means the clickbait adopts them, and oops now you've got an infinite hype loop.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Ok, but what are these? I really don't want to subject my recommendations to absolute gibberish...does it have anything to do with some weird Spiderman/Elsa crossover or is it just to get views and is a completely different type of video?

Check out that link canis minor dropped a few posts ago. It explains the whole thing.

tl;dr is that it's all basically algorithms picking the "most visible" keywords and smashing them together, sometimes with a human factor acting out the hideous word salad that results, possibly at gunpoint. So it's just to get views, but it's also not a different video at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the gently caress did I just watch?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch?

You just got poled! Nice!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I saw these the other day and approached a bunch of psychologists who study media and kids to see how concerning these were and about what issues. I thought they were going to say they were no big deal, just freaky for adults but not for kids. A lot of fear mongering from adults about children and media turns out that way.

In fact they are concerned but not alarmed. They had a number of concerns I hadn't thought about. Children are very vulnerable to advertising, laws against advertising to kids aren't well enforced on YouTube, etc. They weren't as worried about the ones that are only cartoons, more concerned about the live action ones and those that mix live action and animation.They asked me to find a bunch more of them for various age ranges and said they had a bunch of questions already. I'll report back on what they say when I do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This showed up in my feed this morning. Interesting coincidence!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16629788/youtube-kids-distrubing-inappropriate-flag-age-restrict

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I saw these the other day and approached a bunch of psychologists who study media and kids to see how concerning these were and about what issues. I thought they were going to say they were no big deal, just freaky for adults but not for kids. A lot of fear mongering from adults about children and media turns out that way.

In fact they are concerned but not alarmed. They had a number of concerns I hadn't thought about. Children are very vulnerable to advertising, laws against advertising to kids aren't well enforced on YouTube, etc. They weren't as worried about the ones that are only cartoons, more concerned about the live action ones and those that mix live action and animation.They asked me to find a bunch more of them for various age ranges and said they had a bunch of questions already. I'll report back on what they say when I do.

Please do, that sounds very interesting.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I’d be interested in the effect of those videos. They’re definitely unsettling.

Unsettling like this bear.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The MSJ posted:

No one likes to invite him to his house & Fregly in return always ruin them by attacking using his fidgets spinners .

Hell, same.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

SEX BURRITO posted:

I’d be interested in the effect of those videos. They’re definitely unsettling.

Unsettling like this bear.

Waaaaaiiiit a second... http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gondola

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's a review for Fidget Neighbor that just says 'Scrungus.'

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Grondoth posted:

Harsh, but fair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grondoth posted:

Was it written by Rick or Morty? Because that is absolutely a Justin Roilland word.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Was it written by Rick or Morty? Because that is absolutely a Justin Roilland word.

Words like "Scrungus" is a Vinesauce meme because Vinny played it last sunday during a stream. I was there at the stream when he played it, I got reminded of it, then shared it in this thread.

You may find footage of him playing fidget neighbor (or nieghbor according to the in game title) below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksueH37_i78&t=3272s

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Back to the subject of finger family: I present to you-

uh

:stonk:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

EorayMel posted:

uh

:stonk:

How is babie formaldehyded

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that youtube channel has .... issues

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Holy gently caress

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grassy Knowles posted:

:eyepop:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that youtube channel has .... issues

It's nice to see Chinese animation sweatshop workers are able to work out their frustration and weird fetishes I guess

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

That's a new thread title if ever there was one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EorayMel posted:

I always wonder who the intended audience is for these. Or is it just to get ad revenue through bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I always wonder who the intended audience is for these. Or is it just to get ad revenue through bots?

It's clickbait aimed at children and probably irony dollars to my understanding. Which is why it's always Mickey Mouse/Elsa/Spider-Man/otherwise super-popular characters in random settings.