Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

to no one's surprise, oneplus continues to be bad and "accidentally" put a backdoor in the oneplus 5 that allows any app taht knows the password "angela" to do anything

this is actually a good thing because...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/nick_oswald/status/930457240695443456

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i got this one for 849 bucks and the screen is terrible and that too is also fine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lol that stockholm syndrome

a commenter farther down literally asked if he could download the exploit on his LG

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
That’s a shame about the razer phone. I thought the 120hz display was interesting, too bad the rest of it is trash.

It’s a real problem for android that there are so many manufacturers but none of them have any features that stand out in the flagship space. In the mid and low end at least you get some models that have more bang for your buck than others but on the top end it’s all the same Qualcomm 83x SoC’s and cameras topping out at what you should be expecting to get at $700+, but no better and many that are much worse. Even Microsoft had that insane camera on that one Lumia to make it interesting.

Worse yet, some manufacturers like to sneak in a Snapdragon 6xx in there and charge high end prices.

I’m one of the few people that buy a phone based on its hardware, so disregarding all the issues with the android software itself should level the playing field a bit, but it’s still not even close. Qualcomm is so far behind the A series and with the Exynos and Tegra all but abandoned, unless OEMs dare to be outstanding with the components they do have control of, then we’re in for another decade-long wet fart.

Sure MotoMods are laughable and embarrassing, at least they’re trying. :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
source your quotes

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hell yeah i love a 120hz screen on an OS that struggles to maintain 15fps when scrolling text

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

NEED MORE MILK posted:

hell yeah i love a 120hz screen on an OS that struggles to maintain 15fps when scrolling text
Heh. Some OEM is going to be hailed as an innovator when they get an adaptive sync screen just because that’s what would be necessary for the system UI to not run like dookie.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Qualcomm is effectively a monopoly in high end phone SoCs now. they keep bumping up their prices but not really their performance. every vendor hates them but nobody uses anything else because there are no other options.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's MIPS time to shine baby!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i care about nice hardware and that is why i bought an iphone

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

it's Power ISA's time to shine baby!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

source your quotes

when it contains both a mention of Motorola and barely hidden overtones of jizz scent it's not too hard to figure out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a phone that requires a diesel generator to power and an active refrigerant cooling system

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

Qualcomm is effectively a monopoly in high end phone SoCs now. they keep bumping up their prices but not really their performance. every vendor hates them but nobody uses anything else because there are no other options.

why is that anyways? patents?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a phone that requires a diesel generator to power and an active refrigerant cooling system

when you want 24 cores/96 threads in a phone you have to make a few sacrifices

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Laslow posted:

That’s a shame about the razer phone. I thought the 120hz display was interesting, too bad the rest of it is trash.

It’s a real problem for android that there are so many manufacturers but none of them have any features that stand out in the flagship space. In the mid and low end at least you get some models that have more bang for your buck than others but on the top end it’s all the same Qualcomm 83x SoC’s and cameras topping out at what you should be expecting to get at $700+, but no better and many that are much worse. Even Microsoft had that insane camera on that one Lumia to make it interesting.

Worse yet, some manufacturers like to sneak in a Snapdragon 6xx in there and charge high end prices.

I’m one of the few people that buy a phone based on its hardware, so disregarding all the issues with the android software itself should level the playing field a bit, but it’s still not even close. Qualcomm is so far behind the A series and with the Exynos and Tegra all but abandoned, unless OEMs dare to be outstanding with the components they do have control of, then we’re in for another decade-long wet fart.

Sure MotoMods are laughable and embarrassing, at least they’re trying. :(

lol what idiot said this i didnt find it in dyp

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

lol what idiot said this i didnt find it in dyp

maybe it's a legit post

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

they make the second fastest arm cores (distant second after Apple). Samsung can’t find any buyers for their chips because they are bad. nvidia totally bombed out of the market because they couldn’t make a chip that wouldn’t burn a hole through your hand. and none of the other chip makers do anything but low end garbage.

and also patents. the cost of licensing Qualcomm patents without their chips basically destroys any savings you would get.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

carry on then posted:

BIG.BIG.BIG.BIG.BIG.little

coke
Jul 12, 2009
qualcomm is good

even apple admitted defeat to them and uses qualcomm's modem, which is overall better than the intel garbage apple trying to cram into their cheaper gsm iphone x

lol if you spend the same verizon money for a gsm iphone x

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

BIG.BIG.BIG.BIG.BIG.little

big beautiful wafer

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

The Management posted:

they make the second fastest arm cores (distant second after Apple). Samsung can’t find any buyers for their chips because they are bad. nvidia totally bombed out of the market because they couldn’t make a chip that wouldn’t burn a hole through your hand. and none of the other chip makers do anything but low end garbage.
speaking of low end garbage, MediaTek recently just flat-out gave up on attempting to make high and mid end chips. they’re content with being the $35 aliexpress tablet guys forever.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

You should use a Pixel: it provides the latest software and the purest Android UI. For example, here's a screenshot I took today while turning on my Bluetooth:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MausoleumExtremist posted:

You should use a Pixel: it provides the latest software and the purest Android UI. For example, here's a screenshot I took today while turning on my Bluetooth:

Why does your Bluetooth have a slider

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Why does your Bluetooth have a slider

makes it more or less blue

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that is pretty much the essence of android

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what’s with all that wasted space and cryptic hieroglyphics on the bottom?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laslow posted:

i’m going to assume this is a serious post

why do you buy phones that are slower than an iPhone 5s if you care about hardware

Themage fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 15, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

maybe it's a legit post

its got caps and is full of idiocy you can see how i mightve been fooled

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gizmodo reviewed the pixel earbuds. spoilers: they're bad and the translation feature (that has nothing to do with the earbuds) requires you to wave a phone in front of the other person anyway

quote:

I did get the translation feature to work, by the way, and it’s just as confusing as everything else about the Pixel Buds. You’d think that you could just tap the right earbud and ask Google to translate what you’re hearing, but it’s more complicated than that. You do have to tap the earbud and ask Google to translate, but then you have to open up the Google Translate app and hold your phone in front of your foreign language-speaking friend. And, of course, your phone must be a Google Pixel or Pixel 2.
https://gizmodo.com/googles-pixel-buds-arent-even-close-to-being-good-1820411288

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

carry on then posted:

lol I'm picturing a world where google has enough penetration with chrome books that they overcome the poo poo performance of their mobile chips by executing the app remotely on your laptop and streaming the UI over a P2P wifi link

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol I'm picturing a world where google has enough penetration with chrome books that they overcome the poo poo performance of their mobile chips by executing the app remotely on your laptop and streaming the UI over a P2P wifi link

go post that in iyg and let's see how many people think that's a great idea with chants of "google take my money"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no they will just say "why not make my phone do it then make a $500 lapdock accessory? this is the computer i am dreaming of!"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I had one (1) student employee who willingly bought one of those phone/tablet keyboard dock pieces of poo poo at retail price it was hilarious watching him try to take meeting notes for a week before giving up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the modems are the big deal, qualcomm beat everyone to the punch, and has kept the lead, on integrated baseband on the soc

the only realistic alternative is to either go with multiple variants for different markets (as samsung does, they have lte working on exynos, but for markets where they also need cdma they drop in the qualcomm), or go with two chips, which is what apple does, but then you have a rather different bom calculatioon to do

e: this is also rather what intel really failed at, they bought out infineon to try to make a fully integrated soc, but they didn't manage to put the thing together in a timely fashion. it is not that unlikely that their x86-in-phones play could have worked with aggressive pricing *if* it wasn't for the fact that they didn't have the full solution (they have one now in the atom x3, but that came out in 2015 when the battle was already lost)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 15, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: this is also rather what intel really failed at, they bought out infineon to try to make a fully integrated soc, but they didn't manage to put the thing together in a timely fashion. it is not that unlikely that their x86-in-phones play could have worked with aggressive pricing *if* it wasn't for the fact that they didn't have the full solution (they have one now in the atom x3, but that came out in 2015 when the battle was already lost)

nah

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i agree with cybernetic vermin

intel has offered reasonably competitive processors for some time, but the lack of an integrated baseband made them unappealing to android OEMs, both in the u.s. and china

turns out there's more to a system-on-a-chip than just the processors, who knew

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cargo shorts once again pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

turns out there's more to a system-on-a-chip than just the processors, who knew
eh, both apple and samsung still uses qualcomm for their baseband even though they've got their own soc