Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't care if people stand still, so long as they leave room for me to walk past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I'll stand still on a 'scator if no one is behind me. Or if they are I'll stand to the side. Luggage goes one step above me, in front of me.

I mean at least you let people by.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I stand still on the escalator because I think it's fun.

You're what's wrong with America.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Let people by and you're okay imo. Stand in the middle and you're an rear end in a top hat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

You're what's wrong with America.

I wear shorts and I stand on escalators.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think I've ever been on an escalator where the person in front of me wasn't standing still and blocking the way, such that it would be my decision to walk or stand in the first place. Except for a few seconds while disembarking.

Like that's just what people do. Maybe it's a regional thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Let people by and you're okay imo. Stand in the middle and you're an rear end in a top hat.

This is me on the escalator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOpUdsMeqM

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wear shorts and I stand on escalators.

Do you wear the shorts because you're afraid pants would get caught in the escalator that you won't walk on?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I love you guys.

Personally, I really liked the witness protection gimmick. But it's extremely well edited.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I watched The Ambulance the other day (which is proper bonkers) and was then just browsing through Larry Cohen's filmography. I had no idea he wrote Phone Booth and Cellular, but it actually makes sense when I think about it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Personally, I really liked the witness protection gimmick.

I might bring that back just for the mainline Devotional Criticisms, and it would probably work really well with talking about Malcolm X and music, but that's a long way off not just because I got research fatigue but also because I really wanna work up the scratch to pay some actors to do some really nice deliveries reading excerpts from The Autobiography.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Speaking of MoviePass, post your History. I've been slacking REALLY badly because my friends haven't wanted to go

Edit- 10/17 is The Foreigner

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gonna post my comedy viewing history of only Thor Ragnarok but it doesn't even show it. :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CPL593H posted:

I have a deeply rooted hatred of people who stand still on the escalator so I can't even image how infuriating this must be.

Who do you hate more, people who stand on an escalator or people who tell you that it's more efficient if everyone stands?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok what are essential Tangerine Dream albums? Amazon has an overwhelming amount to stream.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Who do you hate more, people who stand on an escalator or people who tell you that it's more efficient if everyone stands?

Who the gently caress says that second thing? I don't think there's a hammer big enough in the world to administer the beating they deserve.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Standing on an escalator is cool because you're standing still, but moving.

Walking up an escalator is also cool because you're basically going superfast up some stairs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok what are essential Tangerine Dream albums? Amazon has an overwhelming amount to stream.

I've only heard Thief, so, Thief.

Unrelated, I'm watching Felix the Cat - The Movie and... Jesus...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GonSmithe posted:

Speaking of MoviePass, post your History. I've been slacking REALLY badly because my friends haven't wanted to go

Edit- 10/17 is The Foreigner

So did you see the original Flatliners, or did they use the original's poster for the remake?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

I've only heard Thief, so, Thief.

Unrelated, I'm watching Felix the Cat - The Movie and... Jesus...

I just bought Thief (haven't watched it yet) and that was the first thing I looked for. It doesn't appear to be on Amazon Music.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Who the gently caress says that second thing? I don't think there's a hammer big enough in the world to administer the beating they deserve.

It's somewhat of an individual vs collective problem. It's faster for you if you walk up the one side but escalator capacity overall is maximized if everyone stands.

Of course, capacity is only usually an issue in a place like a transit station but then on transit is when people want to rush the most on an escalator.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm really bummed that Moviepass doesn't work for the SIFF due to their member pricing, so I have to wait for Regal or AMC to get the goodies if I don't want to shell out.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Five minutes into Ground Zeroes and what the gently caress why is Big Boss voices by Kiefer Sutherland now this is bullshit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kept you waiting, huh?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

It's somewhat of an individual vs collective problem. It's faster for you if you walk up the one side but escalator capacity overall is maximized if everyone stands.

It's really not, though. If half the people stand on the left and half the people walk up the right, capacity is much higher than if everyone stood.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Of course, capacity is only usually an issue in a place like a transit station but then on transit is when people want to rush the most on an escalator.

Well, then it's even more efficient if everyone loving walks, which was the assumption the designers of the escalator because they had too much faith in people wanting to get somewhere instead of being lazy fuckers.

The wheeled carry-on is one of the worst inventions ever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey, don't drag down wheeled carry ons. That's a good invention

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
YTotD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IlOyuiXfM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hey, don't drag down wheeled carry ons. That's a good invention

If you can't carry it on your shoulder or back, loving check it and get the gently caress out of my way on the escalator.

(Honestly, it's checked bag fees that are to blame, but I'm definitely going to blame the fucker in front of me blocking the goddamned escalator steps)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Black Mass! You and Jenny ripping on it was hilarious.

Oh man I'd literally forgotten that that movie even existed, and all I got now are some super vague memories of it being garbage. What'd I say

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

It's really not, though. If half the people stand on the left and half the people walk up the right, capacity is much higher than if everyone stood.

It might be counterintuitive or infuriating but space is used more effectively and more people are allowed on if everyone stands. Think about how close you are to the people above and below you when you stand versus the space you leave when you're walking behind them. That's what makes all the difference. The people who walk obviously get to the top (or bottom) faster but a crowd of people trying to get on the escalator will clear more slowly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't really travel at all but the ReportoftheWeek video on Amtrak makes me wanna take a train next time I go on vacation. It looked way more romantic than the garbage flight industry. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a vacation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Five minutes into Ground Zeroes and what the gently caress why is Big Boss voices by Kiefer Sutherland now this is bullshit

The proper reaction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh man I'd literally forgotten that that movie even existed, and all I got now are some super vague memories of it being garbage. What'd I say

Idk but I'm sure it was something along the lines that it was loving boring and Johnny Depp was a cartoon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

It might be counterintuitive or infuriating but space is used more effectively and more people are allowed on if everyone stands. Think about how close you are to the people above and below you when you stand versus the space you leave when you're walking behind them. That's what makes all the difference. The people who walk obviously get to the top (or bottom) faster but a crowd of people trying to get on the escalator will clear more slowly.

I don't buy this at all. In order to get on the escalator with a spacing that is closer than that of walking, someone would have to basically jump onto the step behind me. I mean, people walk up to the escalator, right? So how are they magically condensing into a closer space? Is it by... climbing the escalator?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
RIP, Cinefamily.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't really travel at all but the ReportoftheWeek video on Amtrak makes me wanna take a train next time I go on vacation. It looked way more romantic than the garbage flight industry. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a vacation.

I love trains but long-distance travel on Amtrak is painful for a variety of reasons.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nice.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I firmly believe that the Amtrak trip from Sacramento to Chicago (the California Zephyr) is one of the great American journeys. I took it in early December once and it was magical because you really get a sense of the scale of the American west, and rolling through these huge, majestic valleys and across all the plains was really breathtaking and made me truly understand our country in its wildest, most untapped, and most beautiful aspects. My favorite memory was waking up to find the endless rolling hills of the Utah badlands, and they were entirely covered in glittering, frozen snow. Miles and miles and miles of perfectly round hills of gleaming white snow for as far as you could see, and then suddenly out of the ground came these great red cliffs, absolutely blazing orange in the sunlight like raw flesh coming through drywall.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Trains are dope. There should be more train movies. One time I watched Source Code on the train from Boston to NY, which was pretty cool, in a 4D way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I've never heard anyone say this or heard of anyone saying this, but if these people do exist they are human garbage and should be required to used a conveyor belt that is purposed specifically to move large quantities of garbage instead of using the escalator.

Lobok posted:

It never plays out this way. There's always some jerk off or pair of jerk offs blocking the middle of the loving escalator with absolutely no one in front of them or otherwise the nearest person ahead of them is ten-twelve feet away. If you're going to stand on the loving thing get the hell out of the way of people who have places to be or just generally don't want to spend all loving day waiting for you to just loving move.

Timby posted:

I love trains but long-distance travel on Amtrak is painful for a variety of reasons.

I haven't been on a long distance train in about 15 years, but if it's still like it was then at least you can say that no minimum wage police academy drop outs are standing around groping your balls before you get on the Amtrak.

• Locked thread