Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i really didn't like alter code f. like it's a good enough remake in terms of what constitutes a remake, but the balance is dreadful. like, "the guy who developed the AI routines and understands the damage formulas on a mathematical level was the only person who tested if it's balanced" awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Alter Code F I feel is a step down from the original in almost every way. Rudy using his ARM as his regular attack is blasphemous.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will skip ahead to WA4 then and let the nostalgia remain.

Really I just wanted to see wtf Alhazad is supposed to be. He always looked like a flying lion with a bed sheet but his face is actually some kind of armor and it's a fancy robe. A little disappointing, I like flying bed sheet lion.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Actually Alter Code F is better and has actual WA2/3 style dungeons and all the big monsters and golems were redesigned by a super robot artist and it rules.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I would never recommend starting with ACF but if you already played the first three ACF is basically just WA3-2 mechanically anyway, and that's the best one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaggitz posted:

Actually Alter Code F is better and has actual WA2/3 style dungeons and all the big monsters and golems were redesigned by a super robot artist and it rules.

this doesn't change the fact that when you fight said golems, you need to understand the interaction between every single stat, the weird secret formula behind gatling/finest arts, and know all their possible attacks ahead of time.

if you don't, you'll see their intro fmv and one round and die. if you do, you'll see their intro fmv and kill it in one attack. kind of a waste of a mecha artist imo

also the final dungeon really, really really doesn't translate into 3d. like, at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACF is genuinely a bad remake. It has some neat concepts but buries them beyond some really dumb poo poo including the loving awful-rear end search system. Also Lady Harken's redesign is terrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
also also jack's sword arts are redesigned from the ground up and they get exp from getting used against enemies whose level is at least more than 5(?) lower than your current character level. the highest-level regular random encounter monster in the game is like 81 i think? anyway if you do new game plus, jack retains his endgame level but loses all his sword art exp so i hope you like going through the entire game where all his skills are super expensive and super weak because iirc they actually have a damage malus until they gain a few levels, and they don't get their signature secondary effects until you level them up either.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I played ACF for a couple hours and then quit because the game just felt dull and lifeless compared to the original. Good to know I made the right call

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Also Alter Code F's opening is objectively worse than the original's.

Trash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Fedfg8B50

An emotional journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
WA3 is the best one anyway

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I played ACF for a couple hours and then quit because the game just felt dull and lifeless compared to the original. Good to know I made the right call

Yeah, same.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Also Alter Code F's opening is objectively worse than the original's.

Trash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Fedfg8B50

An emotional journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I

jeez the remake's is so much cheaper, too.

wild arms original: wide range of movement

wild arms alter code f: lots of stills with one thing animating

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This reminds me that one of Wild ARMs 5's--the goddamn 10th anniversary title of the series--biggest crimes is that it doesn't have an animated opening, and that the opening it does have is some low-effort generic j-pop garbage.

I like Wild ARMs 5, but gently caress, it has so many things going against it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

alter code f is unplayable due to random mobs not meowing when you hit them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

it's been a little while but i thought that in his conversations with vyce his response to being called out on his evil deeds is basically "yes, it's true, i am a horrible monster, but i'm also getting things done and at the end of the day i'm the one that will create a unified isle." it contrasts quite a bit with how chaos denam spends chapter 2 doing Basically Nothing, because he's an enemy of both galgastan and the walister and has few allies and little ability to directly impact the war. he just spends the whole time running, while law denam at an equivalent time is much more of an active participant in the conflict.

it parallels the conflict between the two lanselots, and the fact that ultimately, tartaros is the winner there. i thought it was a neat acknowledgement of the value of "you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs" while also making it clear why characters who have that philosophy are generally portrayed as villains

also, i thought the neutral route was the worst? felt to me like the idea behind going neutral was "well now you're just being a hypocrite dude" and all of your friends who stuck with you when you went chaos abandon you as soon as you make it clear that your morals aren't something you're gonna strictly hold yourself to anymore. arycelle in particular i recall as taking an astronomical hit to her loyalty stat thing and is nearly guaranteed to desert immediately.

it's been like 5-6 years so i genuinely don't know how much of this i'm just bullshitting off of my foggy impression of the game

but i definitely remember being able to make your sister the queen in law, that's a route-independent choice. you just get a choice in chapter 4 after all the routes have unified and she either kills herself or doesn't, and i recall the choice being kinda bullshit because the two options are like, the same thing but worded a little different (because your tone and the way your present yourself and your priorities to her are what ultimately influences her decision)

yeah the story in the luct is really good. is a darn shame that the series is dead and also that the overly convoluted end game and post game of the psp version turned me off the game and i never finished it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Licensed cartoon spinoff video game "Steven Universe: Save the Light" is Paper Mario as gently caress. I am impressed at how fun it is to play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

This reminds me that one of Wild ARMs 5's--the goddamn 10th anniversary title of the series--biggest crimes is that it doesn't have an animated opening, and that the opening it does have is some low-effort generic j-pop garbage.

The wild arms 5 op is Nana mizuki, which makes it the spark point for symphogear, which makes it perfect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Wild ARMs bug bit me. Should I bother playing Alter Code F?

alter code f somehow has a worse translation than the original and no healing items

Coughing Hobo posted:

the kind of sad reason behind the change in style for the opening theme that is that michiko naruke, the series composer, started having health issues right around wild arms 4, so while she did music for that game she ultimately had to be given some help to finish composing for it and presumably for those same reasons she wasn't able to come back for wild arms 5

i'm not sure what happened to her after that but at the very least she's still doing music, she's been brought on to do arrangements for smash bros brawl and 4 recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydpz1RSPeDs

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

this track is wild arms as gently caress and it makes me happy to know she's still doing stuff. :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the kind of sad reason behind the change in style for the opening theme that is that michiko naruke, the series composer, started having health issues right around wild arms 4, so while she did music for that game she ultimately had to be given some help to finish composing for it and presumably for those same reasons she wasn't able to come back for wild arms 5

i'm not sure what happened to her after that but at the very least she's still doing music, she's been brought on to do arrangements for smash bros brawl and 4 recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydpz1RSPeDs

A year or two back a bunch of the core staff of Wild arms got together to drink and talk about a reboot. Obvs. Nothing came of it but if something ever did she'd probably be on board since she was there

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think there was talk about some WA mobile gatcha game being developed a while back but I don't remember if it was an actual thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OneDeadman posted:

I think there was talk about some WA mobile gatcha game being developed a while back but I don't remember if it was an actual thing.

I'd settle for a new Wild Arms SRPG. XF was pretty good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

babypolis posted:

yeah the story in the luct is really good. is a darn shame that the series is dead and also that the overly convoluted end game and post game of the psp version turned me off the game and i never finished it

They got a bunch of the original devs together to make a remake that just knocks it out of the loving park, and then never touched the franchise again.

The hanging gardens were stupid though I agree, getting to carry over your characters into playing the other routes was a good choice for the post game though i thought

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Getting new characters with unique classes in the LUCT postgame only to have to grind them up from level 1 was loving horrible.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wild Arms 3 is such a glorious, weird game. It's not aged nearly as well, I think -- I feel like the writing was more impressive to me as a teenager than it is to me as an adult -- but you can't argue with the fact that it's a game stuffed with loving content. There are dungeons upon dungeons, hidden dungeons, hidden puzzle rooms, hidden super bosses, hidden enemy rushes, by the fifth dungeon you are facing three, four bosses in a single zone. It wildly jerks from being crushingly hard to refreshingly easy, and it sort of keeps it all glued together with this wonderful anime Western aesthetic and a weird-rear end sci-fi plot. It's the purest incarnation of the "concept" that is Wild Arms and the series has never, and it seems will never, top it.

Plus, it's pretty fun to play. More RPGs should have puzzles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wild Arms 3 is such a glorious, weird game. It's not aged nearly as well, I think -- I feel like the writing was more impressive to me as a teenager than it is to me as an adult -- but you can't argue with the fact that it's a game stuffed with loving content. There are dungeons upon dungeons, hidden dungeons, hidden puzzle rooms, hidden super bosses, hidden enemy rushes, by the fifth dungeon you are facing three, four bosses in a single zone. It wildly jerks from being crushingly hard to refreshingly easy, and it sort of keeps it all glued together with this wonderful anime Western aesthetic and a weird-rear end sci-fi plot. It's the purest incarnation of the "concept" that is Wild Arms and the series has never, and it seems will never, top it.

The only real problem with Wild Arms 3 is the recurring antagonist bossfights do not change at all between encounters. Once you get them down pat the first time, the same tricks work every subsequent run-in.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only real problem with Wild Arms 3 is the recurring antagonist bossfights do not change at all between encounters. Once you get them down pat the first time, the same tricks work every subsequent run-in.

I'm pretty sad Todd's companions didn't learn from their mistakes and cast a water spell to put out his hair in the subsequent encounters.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Alter Code F had people translating the word “through” as “thru” if you wanna know the level of quality it had behind it. I’m usually very lenient when it comes to games (i thought Persona 5 was perfectly fine) but that translation was crap. (Not WA2 levels though)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even Denam's best route (refuse the slaughter then reconcile with your allies neutral route I think? IIRC that's the only one you could do things like recruit the 4 shaman sisters on PSX as well as recruit Kachua to eventually make her the queen) has a hell of a lot worse stuff than most of Destin's good routes in Ogre Battle, let alone the true ending for Ogre Battle (or Ramza in FFT). Maybe the PSP remake changed some of that but I just remember playing it on PSX and thinking that Denam's options are to become the monster he hates, or just do some slightly less evil poo poo than the people around him want to do to maybe/hopefully set things right.

you could do that in the pure chaos route on psx too.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Reminder that Langrisser IV got sorted out awhile back, even if III and the rest still unfortunately remain in limbo:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1711/

too bad its the psx version, where they replaced the turn system from previous games, which was like fire emblem, with a turn system akin to FFT or TO, which i don't think works in a game where you are controlling like 20 different units. i liked most other things about it except that, but that's stopping me from trying to get through it again.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 15, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

i don't think writing really has to be "impressive", i feel like what makes wild arms special is less how incredible it is and more how much heart it has. akifumi kaneko is a weird writer but he's really great at writing fun, likable characters and stories that are simultaneously really intentionally goofy while also taking the cast's personal drama really seriously, and in pretty much everything he writes he has a clear idea of what he wants to focus on and center everything around and it's typically something you don't see a lot of stories focus on in the same way, and i think that carries wild arms 1 with how dated it is and is one of the strongest aspects behind the rest of the series even if wild arms 4 and 5 arguably stumble with it

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
You can save anywhere in Wild Arms 3 so that alone is godsend.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
except the abyss :unsmigghh:

wa3 abyss sucked so much

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Real talk, I absolutely hate games where you can save anywhere because I've been conditioned by console RPGs that I'm only allowed to save at glowing orbs and if I'm given the ability to save anywhere I'll forget all about it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Real talk, I absolutely hate games where you can save anywhere because I've been conditioned by console RPGs that I'm only allowed to save at glowing orbs and if I'm given the ability to save anywhere I'll forget all about it.

In Wild Arms 3 you save using currency which you always find in a chest before a boss so that same conditioning applies.

The true make or break factor to save anywhere jrpgs is wether or not they make you reload a save upon death. Doing so is stupid and removes the convenience of being able to save when you feel like stopping your session. Wild Arms and the Trails series give you the option to save anywhere and restart a fight upon death, which is the perfect way to handle that mechanic imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 2 is one of the earliest examples i can think of of devs finding a relatively sane way to handle random encounters and i love that it was caused by kaneko saying "you know, people are probably going to want to avoid these"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Getting new characters with unique classes in the LUCT postgame only to have to grind them up from level 1 was loving horrible.

yeah that was what really killed my interest. I spent hours and hours doing all these sidequests and leveling up the new classes from lvl 1 and at the end of it all I didnt even feel stronger

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zaggitz posted:

In Wild Arms 3 you save using currency which you always find in a chest before a boss so that same conditioning applies.

The true make or break factor to save anywhere jrpgs is wether or not they make you reload a save upon death. Doing so is stupid and removes the convenience of being able to save when you feel like stopping your session. Wild Arms and the Trails series give you the option to save anywhere and restart a fight upon death, which is the perfect way to handle that mechanic imo.

That sounds like a nice system, I always enjoy "remember to save" functions in games because I'm the type of person who will save, take a bite of food or do something for one second, and then save again just in case. People got all pissy that you could retry boss fights in Persona 5, like who gives a poo poo, I'm just going to reload and try it again anyways, just because I don't have to spend two minutes getting bumped back to the main menu doesn't mean the fight is any easier.

That being said, I have not been enjoying my Merciless playthrough. I keep getting toward the end of the first palace and running out of SP to do any actual leveling against the glowey enemies but you definitely need to be a high enough level for Media but I don't want to spend another in-game day leveling because then the guide I'm following to max all social links will be out of whack and I don't want to switch to Hard mode because my frail masculine ego won't let me lower the difficulty and I have created a lot of problems for myself by being unwilling to compromise about this for-fun activity

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaggitz posted:

There are regular free savepoints in towns too, but Gimel Coins are your means to pop a save whenever. They're a relatively common drop, you can't buy them, and WA3 hints REAL HARD about an upcoming bossfight any time you find a Gimel coin a treasure chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I like it when games have the courtesy to save for you at a more generous point than you even would have given to yourself. Makes me feel like I'm doing a good job!