Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zo posted:

poors have all the more reason to be financially responsible, like how fats have all the more reason to exercise.

if you're gonna be like "well im fat already so im just gonna eat these 20 meat pies" then it's open season to laugh at you lol sorry not sorry

It's less funny when there are contributing factors entirely out of their control , and no amount of financial responsibility would pull them out of their situation.

Like do you think the single mother with a learning disability and severely handicapped kid still wouldn't be hosed financially if she made better car buying decisions or was legally literate enough to get herself off that lease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look, someone blowing a third base starting point because they came from a poor upbringing and have no idea how to do finance! I think perhaps they are sufficiently not-poor enough to make fun of, but who knows?

https://www.learnvest.com/2014/09/from-trust-fund-kid-to-average-joe-what-blowing-a-250k-inheritance-taught-me

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

baquerd posted:

Look, someone blowing a third base starting point because they came from a poor upbringing and have no idea how to do finance! I think perhaps they are sufficiently not-poor enough to make fun of, but who knows?

https://www.learnvest.com/2014/09/from-trust-fund-kid-to-average-joe-what-blowing-a-250k-inheritance-taught-me

There we go, this is the good stuff. He turned the possibility of financial independence into a middle class life and modest savings.

e: $250k in 1999 dropped into the S&P500 (near the top of the market at that) would be ~$650k today. Instead he has $120k saved, even after $80k+ of gains from real estate appreciation.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 15, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

baquerd posted:

ahhh yessss my pupils tighten, my heart rate goes up, this is the loving good stuff.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I can understand the allure of dropping big bucks to go to a fancy out of state school, even if it's a bad decision financially. But why the hell would you pay $30k/yr to live in rural Indiana of all places? If you're paying that much at least go somewhere interesting.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
403 - Forbidden fruit :(

Looks to be alternative link
http://thehillnews.net/news/From-Trust-Fund-Kid-to-Average-Joe:-What-Blowing-a-$250K-Inheritance-Taught-Me

quote:

With my back up against the wall, I reminded him of the $10,000 I'd given him a few years earlier. He owed me. This line of reasoning was successful in prompting him to hand over the cash — but quickly marred whatever relationship we had left. Nasty words were exchanged, which led to several years of not speaking to one another.
At least the guy seems to be self-aware of his dumb actions.

quote:

Despite this setback, I graduated college in 2003 and began working as a financial aid adviser for an online college.
WHY DO PEOPLE, WHO ARE OBJECTIVELY BAD WITH MONEY, BECOME FINANCIAL ADVISORS???

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 15, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Suspicious Lump posted:

At least the guy seems to be self-aware of his dumb actions.
WHY DO PEOPLE, WHO ARE OBJECTIVELY BAD WITH MONEY, BECOME FINANCIAL ADVISORS???

The point isn't to help people make good financial decisions, the point is to get 17 year olds to take out absurd amounts of debt to get the same education they could get for 1/4 the price at their state college. He was probably perfect for that.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/7d1268/need_consulting_on_investing_significant_amount/

how much capital is needed to get a decent return on investment from mining. i am new to mining but not to crypto. i've been a crypto user/invester/trader for going on 6 years now, and the ENTIRE time i have had the dream to invest a significant amount and start a mining operation.

i have been saving, but i don't know what the optimal investment amount would be.

how much would be needed to LIVE off of, assuming one was to live as frugally as possible and invest EVERYTHING back into the mining OP.

i know how subjective a "livable amount" is, depending on where youare. i'm in the US. i also know price fluctuates, and anything can happen. just asking generally

Crypto leads to positive outcomes people

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
crypto is so loving bad for the environment lmao

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Some people are poor because of bad luck and some people are poor because they constantly make terrible choices. One is funny, the other isn't. The guy who founded a restaurant and sat in the freezer drinking all day is funny, the fact that his kids lost their house over it is sad.

Look, just tell me which way to throw the trolley track switch.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Content: my boss sold his house before moving for a new job. He asked me for advice on what to do with the equity that came out when he sold, about 30k. We came up with a plan to eliminate his credit card debt and knock a big chunk out of his student loans. I was genuinely happy for him that he would be on a better financial path.

The next week he comes into work with a brand new fully loaded truck to replace his functional financed vehicle. He put the equity down, and was ecstatic that his payment only went up by 15 dollars.

:smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

hailthefish posted:

This thread is much more fun when it's mocking upper-middle-class idiots for taking out a third mortgage on their shittily built, oversized house to buy a brand new truck to haul their horse to the equine acupuncturist non-FDA approved laserblast therapist and much less fun when it's mocking poor people for not having more money/not living lives of perfect asceticism and absolute rationality so they can someday not be poor maybe hope to delay the point where Medicaid takes over the cost of their nursing home by a couple years.

Sorry, this needed just a teeny correction.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There we go, this is the good stuff. He turned the possibility of financial independence into a middle class life and modest savings.

e: $250k in 1999 dropped into the S&P500 (near the top of the market at that) would be ~$650k today. Instead he has $120k saved, even after $80k+ of gains from real estate appreciation.

I have a deposit account scheme paying 3% interest on the first $50K, fully liquid with literally 0% risk...And yet people would still choose the equivalent of stuffing their money under their bed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

baquerd posted:

quote:

Not wanting to drop out, I reached out to my father for help. I received an icy reaction from my dad, who was disappointed in how I’d mismanaged my money. While he didn’t know all the details, he caught the gist: I’d blown through nearly a quarter of a million dollars.

Dad here is the ultimate BWM. Mom dies when the kid is 8, dad apparently spends very little of that time raising the child since he mentions that he was always distant from dad. Drops a bombshell on his son right before his 18th birthday with apparently no advice whatsoever, and then is disappointed when the obvious thing happens. Dude could probably have milked his son for a long time since he apparently needed the money too, borrowing $10k from his 18 year old son. Either way, dad completely failed his son. I guarantee that most 18 year olds when handed a huge wad of cash are going to blow it in hilarious ways. At least the guy ended up paying for most of his college with it.

I wish I knew the guy, I'm also from the NW Chicago burbs, and got out of college in 2003, so he is probably one to two years older than me at most. I had a ton of friends at Purdue and NIU too, but I can't remember anyone in this situation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sparkmaster posted:

Content: my boss sold his house before moving for a new job. He asked me for advice on what to do with the equity that came out when he sold, about 30k. We came up with a plan to eliminate his credit card debt and knock a big chunk out of his student loans. I was genuinely happy for him that he would be on a better financial path.

The next week he comes into work with a brand new fully loaded truck to replace his functional financed vehicle. He put the equity down, and was ecstatic that his payment only went up by 15 dollars.

:smith:

:bisonyes:

That's the good stuff right there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I watched a 19 year old client of mine blow through $90k she got from her tribe in 3 months. She paid a years rent up front, bought a bunch of video game systems for her boyfriend and his friends, quit her job to take a trip to Mexico with her boyfriend and all her friends (I think she paid for everything for everyone), etc. I kept telling her to at least open a 529 for her kid, but she kept putting it off. You can't give a kid that kind of money and think they're gonna do anything smart with it if you don't teach them about that stuff.

I mean, she's an adult and made her own decisions, but flat out wouldn't listen to advice from anyone. I remember her boyfriend trying to talk her out of paying the years rent up front so they could look into buying a house for them and their kid (he was full court pressing her at my desk too, like having me weigh in and trying to explain to her that it's throwing too much money away). Her stance was she didn't want to move or look for places outside of her neighborhood. It's terrible that 6 months from when she got this huge windfall she's right back to begging me to forgive overdraft charges.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Suspicious Lump posted:

This guy over at reddit/PF is recommending people join the army for "re-setting your life financially and professionally."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwi2s/i_would_strongly_recommend_the_military_for/

Holy hell. I know this is a symptom of a hosed up situation USA has it's citiziens in, but still. I can't believe someone is recommending joining the army to reset your life.

Such a sad state of fairs.

Well I wouldn't join the army, but if you're physical capable at all, joining the air force was probably one of the best decisions I made in my life, especially financially.

If you aren't a complete moron, you are already ahead of half of the military. Most jobs are pretty easy, and the benefits are great. If you can't save 50-75% of every paycheck if you're in the dorms, you are doing something seriously wrong.

An E-3 making 1,885.80 a month living in the dorms. All your food is paid for. You have no utility bills. When I was in the dorms, I spent 300 a month on a car/insurance. 40 bucks on a phone. 50 bucks on internet.

That's roughly 1500 a month of cold hard disposable income.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Well I wouldn't join the army, but if you're physical capable at all, joining the air force was probably one of the best decisions I made in my life, especially financially.

If you aren't a complete moron, you are already ahead of half of the military. Most jobs are pretty easy, and the benefits are great. If you can't save 50-75% of every paycheck if you're in the dorms, you are doing something seriously wrong.

An E-3 making 1,885.80 a month living in the dorms. All your food is paid for. You have no utility bills. When I was in the dorms, I spent 300 a month on a car/insurance. 40 bucks on a phone. 50 bucks on internet.

With that kind of money, you'd be foolish not to buy brand new Mustang or truck or quickie marriage to a local girl near the base.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TLG James posted:

It depends on your MOS, but a lot of military jobs don't really give you transferable skills and experience. Even if you save up a bunch of money, your career will be several years behind people that did not go that route.

Frankly, for most non-wealthy people their labor income is going to be the biggest determinant of their financial situation and the GWM-est thing you can do is work on maximizing that.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It depends on your MOS, but a lot of military jobs don't really give you transferable skills and experience. Even if you save up a bunch of money, your career will be several years behind people that did not go that route.

Frankly, for most non-wealthy people their labor income is going to be the biggest determinant of their financial situation and the GWM-est thing you can do is work on maximizing that.

That has to go hand and hand with the whole, don't be a moron thing.

There are plenty of jobs in the military that have direct transferable skills. Mostly in IT or healthcare.

I completely disagree that you are going to be "years behind" anyone. In fact, you can get ahead of most of your peers.

Maybe in an ideal world where you go to college, have 0 student loans, and get a decent paying job right out of college, you might be correct. For most people, this is just not the case. In a 4 year military career, if you work towards it, you can at a minimum have an associates done, and have 3 years or so of real world experience.

A lot of people go to college for 4+ years, have a large amount of student loans, and end up with a very low paying job out of college. Or have a decent job but very large student loan repayments.

Also, the entire aspect of being able to get a government job much easier as a vet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Department of National Defense here in Canada is filled with ex-military people working on earning their second pension.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Plus if you join the reserve after you leave, you can get a nice signup bonus and 3-400 extra bucks a month so hey, there's maybe a house down payment and your beer money taken care of.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

TLG James posted:

There are plenty of jobs in the military that have direct transferable skills. Mostly in IT or healthcare.

Also, the entire aspect of being able to get a government job much easier as a vet.

Right, having a security clearance from being in the military plus IT experience can nearly guarantee a high paying job if someone's willing to move to DC.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

The cell phones blow me away more than anything else. Goddamn.

Also... 5 lines between two people? One would think a drug dealer wouldn’t need to worry so much about money.

I’ve seen some crazy high bills, and phone plans can easily get out of control. 2 lines alone on the top Verizon plan are now $170, then add two iPhones at $30-40 a month each, insurance on both phones, then oh hey get an iPad for such or you, another $20 a month each. That’s before late fees start adding on too. Also, before tax.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

totalnewbie posted:

Joining the army means giving up a lot of (but not all) ability to gently caress up while guaranteeing housing, income, pension, reasonably healthy food, exercise, etc.

Compared to the situation some people seem to be in (or are at least headed), that's actually probably GWM and GWL.

Never met people with more money problems than ex military coworkers at my last job. I was a semiconductor process engineer and many of the equipment technicians were ex military guys. They had all sorts of problems that came from never having learned to budget for housing and transportation, or basic home maintenance. One guy was strapped for cash and having his truck repo'd when his sink drain got clogged, so rather than pay for a plumber to come out and snake it he attached a hose to the p-trap under his sink and drilled a hole out to his backyard, and stuck the hose through it. His kitchen sink emptied into his goddamn back yard.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TLG James posted:

That has to go hand and hand with the whole, don't be a moron thing.

Yes, I will say that despite some of them being financially illiterate, they were great technicians. We hired mostly ex nuclear sub techs from the Navy and ex radar techs from the Marines. They had excellent electronics and mechanical debug and repair skills, on average. Extremely well prepared to work on expensive and complicated semiconductor manufacturing equipment with tons of robots and vacuum chambers and complicated electromechanical systems, and disciplined enough to be working with extremely dangerous chemicals, like we had one process that relied on a chemical where, if it was on fire, pouring sand on it, which is a standard way to put out a fire, would actually make it BURN FASTER because it was so volatile, you need to have your head on straight to be able to handle that kind of danger and not burn the whole place down.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 15, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhiqGZCwNQ

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pretty sure someone posted this in the wrong thread, crossposting here

maskenfreiheit posted:

My[26m] girlfriend[25f] wanted to split the rent 50:50 when she made more than me, now expects me to pay the majority now that I make more than her.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7cz15o/my26m_girlfriend25f_wanted_to_split_the_rent_5050/

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years and we live together in NYC. We share a 1 bedroom apartment together in Midtown and it is really expensive. My girlfriend works for a marketing agency, and I used to work in a start up.
My girlfriend makes 80k a year, and I used to make 55k (equity was worthless). Around this time, my girlfriend insisted that we paid for everything 50/50. For me, it was really hard to make ends meet because my girlfriend always wanted to do things that were pricy. A lot of the things I didn't care for but she would drag me to and then I had to pay a ticket for that. And in general, it was expected for me to pay for dinner dates.
I have now gotten a job that pays 125k a year in just salary. Now my girlfriend expects me to pay the rent for our apartment and she says she will get the utilities and groceries. I find this really lovely because she expected me to pay 50:50 when she was making more, but now that I am making more she wants me to pay the bigger share. Also, my girlfriend isn't traditonalist by any means so I think it is completely unfair that she now wants me to pay more.
I am really frustrated with her, and it seems like her friends are agreeing too. I am about to tell her she can look for her own place because this is just unfair. If she was okay with it being 50:50 then she should be now.
Tl;Dr- my girlfriend wanted everything to be split 50/50 when she was making more than me. Now that I am making more than her she wants me to pay for the majority.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yep, that guy's girlfriend is just using him and looks at his raise as meaning more money for her rather than more money for them. :sever:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

and I used to make 55k (equity was worthless)
Sure :sever: but this is the true BWM, love it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

gariig posted:

Sure :sever: but this is the true BWM, love it

GWM: Convincing people to work for you for peanuts and unrealistic expectations about equity.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Wars can be extremely GWM if you return from one with VA-rated crippling mental anguish and/or musculoskeletal disorders.

:toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Bad King posted:

Wars can be extremely GWM if you return from one with VA-rated crippling mental anguish and/or musculoskeletal disorders.

:toot:

It dramatically cuts your earning potential, though, making it both BWM and BWL

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

A chemical that's actually more dangerous and less useful than hydrazine. The BWM chemical.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Great blog series about dangerous chemicals: http://search.sciencemag.org/?q=things%20won%27t%20work%20with

/derail

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for quoting the OP because it's now goooone. Glad all posters are saying the truth, she's taking advantage of him. This part is really telling:

quote:

it was expected for me to pay for dinner dates.
This comment is super interesting because it paints a very interesting picture about the OPs GF:

quote:

I'm actually going to suggest that it's all less sinister than it comes across, though it's still bad.
I think that she's actually been more consistent (that she is in fact a traditionalist in regard to the "the man should make more" and "the man should take care of the woman") than it would seem at first glance. Cognitive dissonance is one hell of a thing, and the self-bargaining and rationalization that can result from it can be confusing.
Here is my theory: she wasn't doing the even split with OP to manipulate him, but she also wasn't doing it because it was fair; it was her making a compromise about something she wanted (her man being the breadwinner) for something she wanted as much or presumably more, to be with him (if she didn't and was a true gold-digger she would have never dated someone who made less than she). She's always wanted him to "be the man" and pay 100%, but she was forced to either accept that wasn't a possibility, and/or even felt guilty that it mattered to her. Him taking her out places and paying was a kind of consolation prize, the same way some people having trouble making ends meet still use a credit card to get a Playstation. They aren't happy about not making ends meet, but at least they can be happy playing the Playstation in the meantime.
But now he makes more and all is right in the world, so there is no longer a need to compromise and for her to "do without". It's not a double-standard for her because the standard (not justified, but somewhat societally-reinforced) is that the man should make more and pay the girl's way
:sever: really is the answer here. They're incompatible with each other and never discussed their wants and expectations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

:sever: really is the answer here. They're incompatible with each other and never discussed their wants and expectations.

Now would be a good time to discuss them. Something similar happened to my friend and his (now ex) fiance. She was a waitress and he's an accountant and he always insisted everything be 50/50 and separate, but when she got hired at a tech company and started making more than him all of a sudden he wanted to combine incomes and began nagging her to start "paying him back for all the times he treated her to nights out." She left him maybe a month later.

He's a piece of poo poo, but I still love him and she's still a really close friend of mine, so hearing the two different sides of it for about 8 months was absolutely hilarious. He still doesn't think he did anything wrong.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now would be a good time to discuss them. Something similar happened to my friend and his (now ex) fiance. She was a waitress and he's an accountant and he always insisted everything be 50/50 and separate, but when she got hired at a tech company and started making more than him all of a sudden he wanted to combine incomes and began nagging her to start "paying him back for all the times he treated her to nights out." She left him maybe a month later.

He's a piece of poo poo, but I still love him and she's still a really close friend of mine, so hearing the two different sides of it for about 8 months was absolutely hilarious. He still doesn't think he did anything wrong.

It's always hard when someone you used to have as an employee becomes your boss. Not quite the same thing, but somewhat similar.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

haha you're friend is the reason why :sever: is the answer! He honestly thinks he has done nothing wrong. Same probably goes for the girl, she thinks this is how things should be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is unjust! No, not the thing happening to others, only the thing happening to me.