Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This guy over at reddit/PF is recommending people join the army for "re-setting your life financially and professionally."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwi2s/i_would_strongly_recommend_the_military_for/

quote:

You have little say where you go. This can be incredibly hard on families.
You aren't making fantastic money, and you can still easily fall prey to financial difficulties
There is a real risk you could be injured/maimed/killed.

Holy hell. I know this is a symptom of a hosed up situation USA has it's citiziens in, but still. I can't believe someone is recommending joining the army to reset your life.

Such a sad state of fairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rotaryfun posted:

I am a white male who is the son of a retired enlisted navy man and stay at home mother. Life included moving every 3 years to military bases in Corpus Christi TX, Pensacola FL, Norfolk VA, and Annapolis MD (this place is definitely a place of privilege).

Please, continue to tell me about my life of privilege on a single income enlisted mans salary.

That was something to read though.

It's important to understand that privilege doesn't mean "I was born to a wealthy and prestigious family". You can have worked hard your whole, come from a lower class background, have had disadvantages, while still benefiting from privilege. It's not a "am privileged" yes/no check box.

this sort of illustrates this, but then you get into racial and gender advantages. You might have had to have gotten a second job, but you got that job because your application didn't go into the "one of those people" bin next to the recycling bin (cite) and that's just the easily accessible tip of the iceberg.

rotaryfun posted:

Somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat because I'm a white male and some poo poo parent can't take care of herself and her kid. Cool thanks for the lesson today guys. 'MERICA

You're not the rear end in a top hat because you're a white dude. Take a step back, take a breath, and re-read what people are telling you

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Is it out of everyone's system yet?

boop the snoot posted:

I am 100% serious when I say I am privileged as gently caress.

Why are these posts happening?

Please take your arguments to PMs because we're on page 3 of this derail. Some people are coming off a long weekend, so I imagine that's more chances for making horrible financial decisions that we can laugh at. Off to r/personalfinance and r/legaladvice for us all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

rotaryfun posted:

Somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat because I'm a white male and some poo poo parent can't take care of herself and her kid. Cool thanks for the lesson today guys. 'MERICA

No you're an rear end in a top hat cuz you're really dumb

I mean that's your takeaway from multiple posts' worth of rebuttals, why not try engaging with the actual arguments themselves?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

I am a white male who is the son of a retired enlisted navy man and stay at home mother. Life included moving every 3 years to military bases in Corpus Christi TX, Pensacola FL, Norfolk VA, and Annapolis MD (this place is definitely a place of privilege).

Please, continue to tell me about my life of privilege on a single income enlisted mans salary.

As soon I read "stay at home mother", I really thought you were going to concede that a two parent household where the mom gets to be a full time mom is an advantage some other people don't have.

lol, guess not.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Lump posted:

This guy over at reddit/PF is recommending people join the army for "re-setting your life financially and professionally."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwi2s/i_would_strongly_recommend_the_military_for/

Holy hell. I know this is a symptom of a hosed up situation USA has it's citiziens in, but still. I can't believe someone is recommending joining the army to reset your life.

Eh, I know a bunch of people who've done this. Once you know one, if you're still friends after a couple years, you'll know a bunch. That's kind of how the army gets lots of people. The army gives people a purpose that's going to be lacking in many other career paths.

And honestly it's not the worst advice in the world. These people have gone on to have good careers with a good pension, great friendships developed from their very close working relationships, and overall pretty decent lives.

But I live in Canada.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

why didn't your mom just pull herself up by the apron strings if your life was so hard

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

e: Nope, we're done.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 14, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh, I know a bunch of people who've done this. Once you know one, if you're still friends after a couple years, you'll know a bunch. That's kind of how the army gets lots of people. The army gives people a purpose that's going to be lacking in many other career paths.

And honestly it's not the worst advice in the world. These people have gone on to have good careers with a good pension, great friendships developed from their very close working relationships, and overall pretty decent lives.

But I live in Canada.

Joining the army means giving up a lot of (but not all) ability to gently caress up while guaranteeing housing, income, pension, reasonably healthy food, exercise, etc.

Compared to the situation some people seem to be in (or are at least headed), that's actually probably GWM and GWL.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Suspicious Lump posted:

Several redditors are suspecting this is just a "join the military!" ad since the guy's only had an account for a few days & hasn't posted anything outside of that thread. :911:

And on the BWM side of things, there are people giving personal stories of how it didn't help too much, and in one case even hurt since their career development was so many years behind their peers:

quote:

Sure, if you have a useless degree and no job skills...the military is just perfect for you! I would recommend against joining the military straight out of high school unless it's just what you want to do. The four years of having my college paid for was not worth the 4 years I wasted in a god forsaken desert learning how to sweep sand dunes and call in air strikes. I'm so far behind my peers in earning potential at 27 years old that the student debt would have been worth giving up 4 years of my life to one of the worst organizations on the planet.

Source: I'm a former light infantry Sergeant.

Also from my own POV, if you're BWM then going into the military isn't magically going to fix that. The businesses near bases that exist to prey on impulse spending from soldiers are a cliche for a reason.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 14, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Joining the army means giving up a lot of (but not all) ability to gently caress up while guaranteeing housing, income, pension, reasonably healthy food, exercise, etc.

Compared to the situation some people seem to be in (or are at least headed), that's actually probably GWM and GWL.

A new WPA that provided all that would be pretty great.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwgam/23_pay_for_most_of_the_bills_and_gf_does_not_make/

quote:

Hi PF, Long time lurker, first time poster and I have finally come to the realization everything isn't "fine"
Short backstory, My parents do not have any sort of financial stability or control, My father makes 175k a year and they are always broke or behind on bills and I do not want to follow suit and am asking for help.
I am sick of living check to check. I need to get my stuff straight and under control but am more lost than anything in doing so.
Here's the gist of bills.
Truck payment - $540 Rent - $1100 (starting next month will be receiving $500 from a roommate) Utilities - $260-300 Cell phone - $350 (My S/O And I split this, but it mainly falls on her since she has 3 lines total and I have 2) Groceries $4-500 (S/O Is vegan, and extremely picky. I primarily live on cheap food Ie - Chicken and rice) Extra stuff (Spotify, playstation, etc) $50 Credit cards - $3500 in debt. $1000 on a credit union card, $2500 on a capitol one card Payments are $35 and $80 a month. I think this is a place where I need help - Eating out, with my GF being vegan and myself not, I find myself not wanting to eat her food due to cost, and taste. So I resort to eating out for lunch and sometimes dinner. Roughly $250-350 a month
Somehow I end up beyond short every month and I don't know what to do. I get paid on the 10th and the 25th and the first check is always the same, second one varies due to commission. (Roughly 1000 on first check, around 1400 on second but can be as high as 2500 (this is take home))
GF Delivers for dominos and takes home roughly 1600 a month. But has more CC debt and outgoing bills than I do.
I know this won't be pretty and I know that I need to figure stuff out the hard way.
I need direction more-so than anything. Thanks PF!

What is it with BWM and trucks? Also, $350/month for two cell phones?! You can get on a prepaid plan with unlimited texts and calls and plenty of data for <$40/month. Vegan girlfriend not paying for her own food is lol.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The cell phones blow me away more than anything else. Goddamn.

Also... 5 lines between two people? One would think a drug dealer wouldn’t need to worry so much about money.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Nail Rat posted:

Personal leisure/enrichment pursuits are not BWM if you can afford them, whatever they may be.

Now, hitching yourself to someone who makes $300 a week, has a disabled child but can't figure out how to get disability assistance, and has four student loans? That's very much BWM.

holy lol alright ignoring this trainwreck of a derail, this lady is some incredible levels of bwm. ITT tech and then ashford "university", which is another online for profit shithole.

the guy needs to get the gently caress out before he's stuck with a retard raising a smaller retard

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Buying a brand new truck to carry around a used, half-working ATV that you've ridden once? I'm guessing it's actually to impress their latest girlfriend (once a year, every year). At least they're legit "country" since they raise hogs.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Zo posted:

the guy needs to get the gently caress out before he's stuck with a retard raising a smaller retard

:drat:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm glad that it's kosher to refer to sick disabled children as "retards" in this thread

Y'all are no doubt quality humans irl

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

I'm glad that it's kosher to refer to sick disabled children as "retards" in this thread

Y'all are no doubt quality humans irl

People Unlikely to Contribute to Society? PUCS? There's a line between compassion and reality.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
You guys need to go outside more

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OctaviusBeaver posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwgam/23_pay_for_most_of_the_bills_and_gf_does_not_make/

What is it with BWM and trucks? Also, $350/month for two cell phones?! You can get on a prepaid plan with unlimited texts and calls and plenty of data for <$40/month. Vegan girlfriend not paying for her own food is lol.

Yeah the cell phone and utilities are weird, but even then there's still about $1.5K/month or more missing (~$2.5K in expenses, ~$4K+ in income). Yet, they're going into debt.

That said,

quote:

My dad has not so much the problem but more my mother. Has a brand new truck, 6 horses, buys 500-1000 dollar pairs of boots, etc. She blows money left and right and my father is the supporter of her habits (Sounds oddly familiar now that I type it out... /sad)

(He's still being kinda lovely blaming stuff on his girlfriend, when he's buying poo poo for his $175K/year-earning parents that they're never paying him back for. I'm sure they're both at fault, but holy poo poo they're earning enough that they should be able to pull things together without recriminations.)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'd like to note the word privilege showed up 58 times last page, so uh..good job?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Photex posted:

i'd like to note the word privilege showed up 58 times last page, so uh..good job?

FYGM

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Photex posted:

Yeah, the people who take note of a problem are the issue, not the ones perpetuating it. I'll keep that in mind next time I see a fire.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah, the carnival/fair/circus carnie scene isn't what it used to be.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, the carnival/fair/circus carnie scene isn't what it used to be.

Fuckin' employees getting classified as independent contractors, man. It's a racket.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NancyPants posted:

Fuckin' employees getting classified as independent contractors, man. It's a racket.

A lot of lawsuits over this, be interesting to see where things fall. Suffice to say, being in that position is likely BWM due to the $10 class action payment (on the high side) you're likely to receive.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

NancyPants posted:

Yeah, the people who take note of a problem are the issue, not the ones perpetuating it. I'll keep that in mind next time I see a fire.

yeah the problem was every one of those times had nothing to do with the topic of the thread, so it was more of a :bravo: on making GBS threads up the thread instead of taking it to the other sub-forum?

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Photex posted:

yeah the problem was every one of those times had nothing to do with the topic of the thread, so it was more of a :bravo: on making GBS threads up the thread instead of taking it to the other sub-forum?

Meh. In the schadenfreude thread when people post something a bit too hosed up they get called on it. This is like the same thing, only I guess it hits too close to home for some folks huh?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This thread is much more fun when it's mocking upper-middle-class idiots for taking out a third mortgage on their shittily built, oversized house to buy a brand new truck to haul their horse to the equine acupuncturist and much less fun when it's mocking poor people for not having more money/not living lives of perfect asceticism and absolute rationality so they can someday not be poor maybe hope to delay the point where Medicaid takes over the cost of their nursing home by a couple years.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

naughty_penguin posted:

Meh. In the schadenfreude thread when people post something a bit too hosed up they get called on it. This is like the same thing, only I guess it hits too close to home for some folks huh?

Possibly, i'm not disagreeing with the verbal lashing but it gets loving old when every thread boils down to the same bullshit that's all, when I see 80 plus posts next time it better be some dude with 3 truck leases totaling $1000 a month because he needs to haul his horses cross country.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's GWM to just identify as bi and go from privileged white male to marginalized LGBTQ folk.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
poors have all the more reason to be financially responsible, like how fats have all the more reason to exercise.

if you're gonna be like "well im fat already so im just gonna eat these 20 meat pies" then it's open season to laugh at you lol sorry not sorry

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

hailthefish posted:

This thread is much more fun when it's mocking upper-middle-class idiots for taking out a third mortgage on their shittily built, oversized house to buy a brand new truck to haul their horse to the equine acupuncturist and much less fun when it's mocking poor people for not having more money/not living lives of perfect asceticism and absolute rationality so they can someday not be poor maybe hope to delay the point where Medicaid takes over the cost of their nursing home by a couple years.

Not emptyquoting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Zo posted:

poors have all the more reason to be financially responsible, like how fats have all the more reason to exercise.

if you're gonna be like "well im fat already so im just gonna eat these 20 meat pies" then it's open season to laugh at you lol sorry not sorry

It's actually really goddamn expensive to be poor, which makes it harder to pull yourself out of poverty. The book Nickel and Dimed covered it pretty well; without good credit and/or savings you inevitably pay more for the same things middle class people see as trivial expenses.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hailthefish posted:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hailthefish posted:

Definitely.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Tales of Cheap fucks thread on GBS is still paying dividends if anyones interested
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963
[quote]

Panfilo posted:

-Father-in-law insists on doing a roof repair on his home instead of hiring someone.
-The process takes much longer because he decides to do it all himself and he's not a professional roofer.
-At one point, falls off roof, shattering his arm rendering him unable to work in his very physically intensive job. Might be unable to return to work due to extensive damage to his shoulder.
-My wife points out to him that the lost income from his injury far exceeded the cost of just hiring people to do the repairs.
-Six months after being back to work, his nephew tells him he's having the same problem with his own roof, any chance FiL could help?
-Father-in-law falls off nephew's roof, fucks up the same goddamn arm, can't work for six months :negative:
What a lovely combo: BWM and BWL.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Some people are poor because of bad luck and some people are poor because they constantly make terrible choices. One is funny, the other isn't. The guy who founded a restaurant and sat in the freezer drinking all day is funny, the fact that his kids lost their house over it is sad.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Suspicious Lump posted:

Tales of Cheap fucks thread on GBS is still paying dividends if anyones interested
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963

What a lovely combo: BWM and BWL.

I think the lesson we can learn from this is pay a professional for handy jobs instead of DIY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

I think the lesson we can learn from this is pay a professional for handy jobs instead of DIY.

Thing is no lesson was learnt because he did the same retarded thing twice. I'll have to read that thread again.