Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Broke a two week skunk the other day

Only a 15", which is about as small as I'll keep. Have had a few unsuccessful trips since though :sweatdrop:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Holy crap, I actually have a fish to post! I haven't been able to fish much, my wife has been working a lot on the weekends. I haven't really been hitting the river by my office either because there are just too many tweakers out there, soooo I went out to the bay today before lunch and caught my first spotty!

What kind of fish is that?

Also American Legacy Fishing just started a 25% off G Loomis rods blowout. I will remain strong, but that is an insane sale.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bongwizzard posted:

Also American Legacy Fishing just started a 25% off G Loomis rods blowout. I will remain strong, but that is an insane sale.

Some sort of grouper. So many of them would really need to know a location.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
It's a spotted bay bass, they're all over SoCal. We have a few different types of saltwater bass out here in the bays. They don't get huge, the one I caught was small, but they're plentiful and not hard to catch. I'm hoping to up my spotty game so I can go hammer on them when I get tired of skunking at the lakes.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I mighta bit on those G Loomis rods, but I ended up canceling my leftie Curado K pre order today because I got tired of waiting. I'm gonna just use that money I spent on it to put towards my new trout rod/reel. I decided to go with a Daiwa Presso rod because it's hard to find a good UL rod that isn't super expensive that's nice and can cast 1/32 oz lures. The only reel I found that would match up well with it is a Pflueger Supreme XT (the orange on both looks to match), so I'll probably just drop the money on one of those. For almost the same price I paid for my Curado K I can get the Presso and the Supreme XT. So pumped for trout season!

edit: Apparently the new 2017 G Loomis rods are incredible, based on the reviews of this highly accomplished SD fisherman that I know through the local fishing forums.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

It's a spotted bay bass, they're all over SoCal. We have a few different types of saltwater bass out here in the bays. They don't get huge, the one I caught was small, but they're plentiful and not hard to catch. I'm hoping to up my spotty game so I can go hammer on them when I get tired of skunking at the lakes.

Neat little fishery. Had never really heard about them.

https://sites.google.com/site/catchingfishinsandiego/spotted-bay-bass

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

It's a spotted bay bass,

Did that guy show up late on the first day only to find that "striped bass" was already taken?

joem83 posted:

I mighta bit on those G Loomis rods, but I ended up canceling my leftie Curado K pre order today because I got tired of waiting.
That is so weird, people have been posting reviews of them for weeks now. Where did you preorder from?

joem83 posted:

I'm gonna just use that money I spent on it to put towards my new trout rod/reel. I decided to go with a Daiwa Presso rod because it's hard to find a good UL rod that isn't super expensive that's nice and can cast 1/32 oz lures. The only reel I found that would match up well with it is a Pflueger Supreme XT (the orange on both looks to match), so I'll probably just drop the money on one of those.

Yea, I am currently on a quest to find an UL spinning rod with both an XF action and the ability to throw a 1/64 jig w/ plastic. So far the only options seem to be JDM rods with solid/stinger tips and the durability and cost issues have me worried. I picked up this weird Loomis UL with an old style Tennessee grip that is rated 1/64-1/8, but it will not seem to load at all under 1/8oz. It is a very fast rod for it's blank diameter though.

joem83 posted:

edit: Apparently the new 2017 G Loomis rods are incredible, based on the reviews of this highly accomplished SD fisherman that I know through the local fishing forums.

Yea, I picked up one of the new GLX rods a month or so ago and it is crazy nice. Sadly it seems to be cursed as I have managed like two bass on it out of a half dozen trips.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

That was a good read! Learned some new stuff in there. My other ambition, in regards to doing new fishing things, is I want to start surf fishing. People go out and dig up sand crabs and fish them on ultra light gear in the surf for corbina and what not. https://sdfish.com/lake-boy/light-tackle-surf-fishing-sickness/

As for the Curado, it's just the lefties that are delayed. The righties came out pretty quick, but for some reason they just keep pushing them back. Tackle Warehouse's original estimate was September, which went to November, which then went to like December 25th. I doubt I'll be doing much bass fishing this winter what with the lakes stocking trout. I'm gonna get a 7 foot Daiwa Presso, they seem to review really well except for some issues with the reel seat. I'm thinking about getting a Pflueger Supreme XT to go with it, it matches up really well (they're both black with orange accents).

I had the worst time trying to fish with the 1/32 oz mini jigs on my ultra light rod last season. I looked at it the other day, it's rated for 1/8 oz and up, lol.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My dude, once you start going down the "I need my reel and rod to color match" road it becomes expensive insanity very quickly. I had resisted for a long time, but just put an order in for some color-parts along side a new spool I wanted for one of my casting reels. I just got some frame screws and a handle nut/retainer, but it is a slippery slope.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Tis a road worth traveling, my friend.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Tis a road worth traveling, my friend.

I knew further resistance was hopeless once I noticed how well my GLX matched the reel I had bought for it. It was a complete coincidence, but I was so loving pleased by it that I knew I was ruined for anything else.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

So I take it you will NOT be matching the new 13 Fishing offerings, the Concept Z with the Fate Black?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

So I take it you will NOT be matching the new 13 Fishing offerings, the Concept Z with the Fate Black?

I mean, it would be hard to lose.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I really dig bright colors as highlights, but that much bright, especially without highlights of it's own, is crap.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

The whole no ball bearings thing on that Concept Z is pretty cool, makes it a perfect saltwater reel.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

The whole no ball bearings thing on that Concept Z is pretty cool, makes it a perfect saltwater reel.

Yea, I am interested to see how that plays out. I have a Concept A on my travel rod and I really like it. Being able to swap in the non-ball bearing in would be great. I am less worried about saltwater and more about grit/sand/whatever. Hedgehog sells saltwater bearings already, but they are pretty pricy.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The new Sienna apparently has bushes in place of the main gear bearings which should make it a whole lot easier to maintain. Meanwhile Quantum's Throttle reel proudly boats of having 11 of the fuckers plus the anti reverse bearing because the number of bearings is all idiots look at when judging the quality of a reel.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Broke a two week skunk the other day

Only a 15", which is about as small as I'll keep. Have had a few unsuccessful trips since though :sweatdrop:

:hf: to ending the skunk! I hope to end my salmon skunk on Saturday, but we've never been to this river before so we have to allow for some scouting.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Decided to go panfishing to catch some catfish bait and found out that the bass are holding in the creeks wayyy late into the fall. So I scrapped the catfishing plan and just slammed on crappie and small LMB bass all weekend.

The weird thing is that I didn't get a single panfish that wasn't a crappie. Usually it's like 5 redbreast for every crappie. Can't figure it out :confused: . Anyway, I'm thinking about harvesting some crappie this week since I've never eaten it before and was catching ones over a 1/2 pound fairly regularly. Anyone got any good recipes?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rape Stink posted:

Anyway, I'm thinking about harvesting some crappie this week since I've never eaten it before and was catching ones over a 1/2 pound fairly regularly. Anyone got any good recipes?

What was your rig setup to catch all of those crappie? That is some awesome accidental success. I am not a crappie authority by any means, but as a panfish my instinct is to treat it like surf perch. It seems really versatile and has a tasty reputation. You're not trying to mask any kind of off-flavor, so you can (and probably should) get away with a simple preparation. I'd bet a couple of breaded and fried fillets would made a fantastic fish sandwich, you could batter and deep fry for fish & chips, and I even saw a recipe for crappie scampi that looked good. Go Flyers.

I got skunked on the river for salmon on Saturday and skunked on my local lake for trout and bass on Sunday. I need to catch a fish so loving badly right now, but I know they can smell the desperation on me. :suicide:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Nothing special for crappie, just my usual panfish rig -- a 1/16oz jig head and a small tube or 3in curly tail grub. Any small plastic would probably work though, and you can't ever really go wrong with small bits of nightcrawler on a drop shot either.

A great way to break a skunk is to go kiddie fishing for some panfish.

Anyway, turns out you're not supposed to eat the crappie out of the Delaware River watershed near Philadelphia because of the pollution from the Rohm and Haas Chemical plant that's right on the river. I've seen stripers come out of the water near there that are covered in sores and have all kinds of weird rear end deformities. Hopefully I can find some crappie in one of the cleaner lakes around here that doesn't connect to the river.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Took a kayak out to some mangroves late this afternoon/evening, got skunked. When I arrived back at the shore I thought "I still have bait and nowhere to be, let's see what happens." Caught a ~20" snook with a rod/reel I bought yesterday (used a 3" white Gulp mullet on a red 1/16th oz jighead), two hardhead catfish, and a little mangrove snapper (all 3 went after live shrimp). All of which were returned to the water as quickly as possible. Also saw a cool little snake, it was yellow with dark rings, about 10" long. Didn't get a picture of it though, it darted off when I got close and my phone's camera was being weird.

Only got pics of the snapper and snook due to lighting conditions/photographic talent, sorry they aren't very good:

It was the second snook I've ever caught, and a ton of fun! Put up a great fight for the size.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Nice! Mangrove snapper is the best snapper (though good on you to let the little guy grow a bit more).

Whereabouts do you fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Remember snooks have to be be handled gently because the have weak necklines.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Enigma posted:

Nice! Mangrove snapper is the best snapper (though good on you to let the little guy grow a bit more).

Whereabouts do you fish?

I've only caught one other and that was two years ago. And yeah, that (bigger) fish was delicious! I caught these fish between Gandy beach and The Getaway after the sun went down and the tide was coming in.

LingcodKilla posted:

Remember snooks have to be be handled gently because the have weak necklines.

Good to know! I was pretty gentle with the fish, only out of the water for a quick photo and loosely held him underwater until he darted away.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

I've only caught one other and that was two years ago. And yeah, that (bigger) fish was delicious! I caught these fish between Gandy beach and The Getaway after the sun went down and the tide was coming in.

Good to know! I was pretty gentle with the fish, only out of the water for a quick photo and loosely held him underwater until he darted away.

During the Summer months the mangrove snapper are everywhere in the area you’re talking about (I’ll be fishing there tomorrow before work) and they get get pretty darn big. I recommend the mangroves just past the parked house boats and then to the left.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gotta say I love that you all keep this thread/forum alive. At least one thread here really caught on!

I gotta start planning out all my trips for next year and should make sure I get in some that have available lake fishing...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rape Stink posted:

Nothing special for crappie, just my usual panfish rig -- a 1/16oz jig head and a small tube or 3in curly tail grub. Any small plastic would probably work though, and you can't ever really go wrong with small bits of nightcrawler on a drop shot either.

A great way to break a skunk is to go kiddie fishing for some panfish.

Anyway, turns out you're not supposed to eat the crappie out of the Delaware River watershed near Philadelphia because of the pollution from the Rohm and Haas Chemical plant that's right on the river. I've seen stripers come out of the water near there that are covered in sores and have all kinds of weird rear end deformities. Hopefully I can find some crappie in one of the cleaner lakes around here that doesn't connect to the river.

I can't tell if it's the angle but the crappie seem a bit small for a spot with bass that size. At least here crappie love those artificial grub with the little tail on them, especially any combination of white/green/yellow. Just guessing the size based on your thumb in the mouth and their fins being big for their body though, did you measure any?

If you call your local DEC office you'll probably hear the same thing I was reminded of: Even the bodies of water that don't have a bad reputation they'll still tell you to eat like max three fish a month from. They'll also likely laugh or be upset that you think that particular river or lake hasn't been cleaned up, or that your favorite spot has the same test results but no one is ever sent to test there.

As far as recipes go I eat crappie all the time but I'm no chef: They're bigger, slightly easier to clean bluegill to me. Pan and some butter, throw in an herb of your choice or some lemon juice. People swear by bread crumbs on all pan fish but again I'm no drat chef so I don't bother

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

During the Summer months the mangrove snapper are everywhere in the area you’re talking about (I’ll be fishing there tomorrow before work) and they get get pretty darn big. I recommend the mangroves just past the parked house boats and then to the left.

That was where I started out in my kayak, but the tide was too low, I kept getting snagged on oysters that tore up my gulp shrimp (and also nothing wanted to eat the live shrimp or fiddler crabs I was using). It was my second trip out there, the first was when I posted that big jack and pinfish. Gonna take a work buddy out there on Sunday. Two of the houseboats looked like they had run into each other, and one of the sailboats was leaning over as if the low water had made it hit the bottom. I hope the boat owners don't find too much damage, but it made for a cool pic:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

extra stout posted:

I can't tell if it's the angle but the crappie seem a bit small for a spot with bass that size. At least here crappie love those artificial grub with the little tail on them, especially any combination of white/green/yellow. Just guessing the size based on your thumb in the mouth and their fins being big for their body though, did you measure any?

If you call your local DEC office you'll probably hear the same thing I was reminded of: Even the bodies of water that don't have a bad reputation they'll still tell you to eat like max three fish a month from. They'll also likely laugh or be upset that you think that particular river or lake hasn't been cleaned up, or that your favorite spot has the same test results but no one is ever sent to test there.

As far as recipes go I eat crappie all the time but I'm no chef: They're bigger, slightly easier to clean bluegill to me. Pan and some butter, throw in an herb of your choice or some lemon juice. People swear by bread crumbs on all pan fish but again I'm no drat chef so I don't bother

Most of the freshwater species around here are pretty stunted. The biggest LM bass can get is about 5lbs, and those are exceedingly rare -- 1 1/2lbs is probably the average. Really, the only fish in the area that will grow to their full potential are the pickerel. Not even the bluegill will get over 3/4lbs, and a 1/2lb bluegill is considered a porker for here. The worst part is that pretty much anywhere else in PA you can catch big freshwater fish, just not in the Greater Philadelphia area for whatever reason. South Jersey is supposed to have some pretty big bass as well, but I don't feel like driving 2 hours just to catch bass. If I'm going down there I'm hitting the back bays and surf.

I didn't measure the crappie but I did weigh the biggest and he came in at 0.62 lbs. I actually sent a FB message to the fish and boat commission to see why the trout stock was postponed (now cancelled) and asked them about harvesting crappie out of Core Creek. They said that they can't recommend eating any of the fish out of there except for the stocked trout. They recommended trying the old quarry nearby if I wanted to harvest since it's self contained and fairly clean, but it turns out it's a bitch to get to since the surrounding woods are thick and overgrown and there's no more road access because it's been out of commission since the 60s. Even then they said it's not advisable to eat more than 3 in a month like you said.

So anyway, I think the crappie taste test is going on the back burner. I'm taking 3 days off next week to visit family in S. Jersey for Thanksgiving, so I think I'm gonna do some surf fishing for striper, tog, and chopper blues with my pop. Can't wait to see how much the local bait shops have jacked up the price of shedder crabs for the fall tog season. I'm betting about $35 per dozen.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rape Stink posted:

They recommended trying the old quarry nearby if I wanted to harvest since it's self contained and fairly clean, but it turns out it's a bitch to get to since the surrounding woods are thick and overgrown and there's no more road access because it's been out of commission since the 60s.

That sounds like heaven tbh

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah man, that sounds like the definition of a non pressured fishery! Do it, take pics, and tell us all about it here, TIA!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JFC that sounds amazing, despite the Lyme disease

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If you gently caress a lot, you are gonna get the herp eventually. If you bank fish a lot (in the northwest), you are gonna get the lyme eventually.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Stripers are extremely high on my list of fish I want to catch. Apparently there are some in Oregon, but not this far north.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

If you gently caress a lot, you are gonna get the herp eventually. If you bank fish a lot (in the northwest), you are gonna get the lyme eventually.

I made it long enough with a clean slate so that's why I'm wifing this one up.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

What is the wife up equivalent of bank fishing? Staying out of questionable looking bushes?

Same applies to successful husbanding I guess. Stay outta them sketchy looking bushes.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's why I only fish in my backyard pond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's why I only fish in my backyard pond

If there was a :highfive: I'd put it here