Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I remember people posting Pottersville earlier in bafflement at a direct-to-video Christmas movie having such a star-studded cast, but it turns out that it's even weirder than anyone could have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy Mann posted:

I remember people posting Pottersville earlier in bafflement at a direct-to-video Christmas movie having such a star-studded cast, but it turns out that it's even weirder than anyone could have guessed.

Holy poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well I know what movie I'm going to have on in the background at this year's family Christmas party lmao.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Oh my God, the Christina Hendricks character is a furry and that's why her husband is dressed as Bigfoot. May this forever replace It's A Wonderful Life.

This makes the news that Get Out is competing at the Golden Globes as a comedy not as weird. Or maybe it still is.

edit:
A quote for the ages.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 15, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

This weight thing has got to be some fetish or body disorder.

maybe he really enjoys eating junk food AND working out to the extreme ends
unlike jared leto who ate microwaved ice cream mixed with soy sauce and olive oil daily for a movie that no one remembers

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A movie that features that features Michael Shannon smiling without malice? Very disturbing...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Furries are mainstream now?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

^av/post combo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The US have a Fox-News-loving president, but pretty soon there will be a fox-loving president.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CSI did a entire Furry episode like a decade ago. That's pretty mainstream.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MariusLecter posted:

Furries used to be banned on sight here at SA. Now if you call out a furry you get "Don't kink shame," so yeah they've gained acceptance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm really curious why the hell the movie goes for an It's a Wonderful Life reference without really...doing much with it? I'm also surprised that that hasn't been remade, now that I think about it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

This makes the news that Get Out is competing at the Golden Globes as a comedy not as weird. Or maybe it still is.

Get Out is satire, satire is a subset of comedy. Not to mention that it stands a better chance of winning in the comedy category than if it were to go up against this year’s drama heavyweights.

The people online complaining about its placement in the comedy category seem to think that labeling Get Out as a comedy cheapens it somehow, when in reality comedies are usually better at presenting social injustices than dramas are. Just because a film of TV show is funny, or has funny moments, doesn’t necessarily undermine the message the creators are trying to show. Fresh Prince, Harold and Kumar, Black-ish. All comedies, all very funny, all full of extremely poignant points about racial inequality.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Get Out is satire, satire is a subset of comedy. Not to mention that it stands a better chance of winning in the comedy category than if it were to go up against this year’s drama heavyweights.

The people online complaining about its placement in the comedy category seem to think that labeling Get Out as a comedy cheapens it somehow, when in reality comedies are usually better at presenting social injustices than dramas are. Just because a film of TV show is funny, or has funny moments, doesn’t necessarily undermine the message the creators are trying to show. Fresh Prince, Harold and Kumar, Black-ish. All comedies, all very funny, all full of extremely poignant points about racial inequality.
It’s not about what the converted think; it’s about society at large. The drama category is just seen as more prestigious, and it’ll send a bigger message to win there.

Nobody on the right side thinks any less of Get Out for being funny.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The golden globes are stupid and should be actively ignored.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Get Out is a decent satire of political paranoia and conspiracy theories.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really what the Golden Globes should do is rename the category to best Comedy/Drama/Horror and then everyone will be happy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

The US have a Fox-News-loving president, but pretty soon there will be a fox-loving president.

Naw, I think Pence prefers horses.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Furries used to be banned on sight here at SA. Now if you call out a furry you get "Don't kink shame," so yeah they've gained acceptance.

Nowadays you have to be literally a nazi furry to get banned. Shameful.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

What a loving obnoxiously written article.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All media analysis is about taking someone down a peg or saying how dumb something is now.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

teagone posted:

Well I know what movie I'm going to have on in the background at this year's family Christmas party lmao.

I'm partial to Ira Finklestien's Christmas err All I want for Christmas. No that's not right... its.. Switchmas

Starring Elliot Gould, okay he's actually just a side character, but he's the biggest name so he gets top billing!

quote:

A Christmas obsessed Jewish boy on his way to sunny Florida figures out how to get the Christmas of his dreams by trading airline tickets and places with another boy on his way to snowy Christmastown, WA.

All the jewish stuff in here is terribly done and pretty offensive. I really wonder how this got made and why. The reviews online are totally astroturfed and feature neat lines like this one from imdb:

quote:

Sue Cochran has done it again! "IRA" is one of the absolute funniest, family friendly films I've seen in years! Finally an entertaining movie I can take my grandchildren to without blood, guts, aliens or violence. This movie displays humor, family values, adventure and understanding without gratuitous violence, slick tricks or overwhelming special effects. A poignant storyline, well portrayed by all. The actors were stellar, from the Hollywood veterans to the local talent. Wonderful to see DeLuise and Gould working together. A shout out to Ira's mother,played by Seattle theater star, Angela DiMarco. Awesome to see her on the big screen with her impeccable comedic timing. This film is well rafted. This film is well written. Thank you Von Piglet, well done!

Need to keep your grandchildren from the corrupting influence of aliens.

It used to be on netflix and then on amazon prime, but it's no longer on either service.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

At this point the only furries worth making fun of are the nazis/trumpsters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd rather find out my favorite actor likes loving in a fox suit than half the other poo poo that's come out lately TBH.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MariusLecter posted:

It's been a go-to for weird sex in fiction for awhile now since it's technically SFW and provides a funny visual while still being weird enough that not a lot of people are into it. Like I remember the Drew Carrey Show had an episode when he was dating a furry, the trope is that old.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

It's been a go-to for weird sex in fiction for awhile now since it's technically SFW and provides a funny visual while still being weird enough that not a lot of people are into it. Like I remember the Drew Carrey Show had an episode when he was dating a furry, the trope is that old.

Oh, and they certainly Yiff'd

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

What a loving obnoxiously written article.

UPROXX is godawful. Unreadable.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

The "bear blowjob" scene in The Shining is like some ur-example, since it largely predates the furry subculture.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of furries, WB has taken Paddington 2 off The Weinstein Company's gropy and inappropriate hands. The movie is currently #1 in the UK, and will see a US release in January.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

Sam Rockwell as Dubya

:perfect:

E: And yeah The Good Guys was really... good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Other Guys.

And it sucks. Like Step Brothers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh whoops. I was thinking of The Nice Guys. The Other Guys does suck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Nice Guys is great!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Nice Guys was the best movie of last year.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First official photo of the cast of Fantastic Beasts, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

From left to right: Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law), Credence (Ezra Miller), Maledictus (Claudia Kim), Leta Lestrange (Zoe Kravitz), Theseus Scamander (Callum Turner), Tina Goldstein (Katherine Waterson), Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler), Queenie Goldstein (Alison Sudol), and Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp).

And the synopsis

quote:

At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.
In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

Is scheduled to release in exactly one year, November 16 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never saw the first one and I probably never will (same goes for the sequel) but I'm sure Harry Potter marks will eat that poo poo up. I know some personally. They're not interested in judging the movie with an unbiased approach. Even if it's tangentially related to Harry Potter, it's automatically the best poo poo ever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Depp mustache! Drink!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Abusive Beasts: The Crimes Of Johnny Depp

...Someone had to say it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never saw the first one and I probably never will (same goes for the sequel) but I'm sure Harry Potter marks will eat that poo poo up. I know some personally. They're not interested in judging the movie with an unbiased approach. Even if it's tangentially related to Harry Potter, it's automatically the best poo poo ever.

Eh, probably true overall but I know plenty of Potter fans that didn't like it at all. Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterson were probably the most annoying to watch leads I've seen in a mainstream movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Harry Potter ok but I was maybe interested in the movie for 1920s New York

• Locked thread