Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Use anti seize. I usually run my caliper bolts back in with my cordless impact driver. Tighten them down, slowly then just a half second of holding the trigger down all the way. Your results may vary....

There should be a torque spec for those bolts, but you'd need a shop manual for that. Haynes manual usually has (mostly) correct torque specs in there.

Keep in mind that anti-seize will throw that off. Like say if you use anti-seize and then torque to whatever spec, the anti-seize will act as a lube and they will actually be tighter than what your torque wrench tells you.

0toShifty posted:

Those bolts are usually torqued to between 60-75 ft/lbs on Hyundai/Kias. I wouldn't use anti-sieze on them because that alters the torque.

These bolts are always tight as hell. Just get bigger wrenches! I sometimes use a 1/2" drive 30" breaker bar to get those off. I also am extremely fond of the Gearwrench Gearbox XL wrenches, they work darn good for these.

They are often above 120ft/lbs on some cars. Some manufacturers used stretch bolts. Some used threadlock on them too. Hyundai didn't though.

Cool, thanks for the replies!

The Haynes Accent manual only spans 1986-2009. I've been waiting for an update, but no luck so far.

If I were to use anti-seize and tighten with a torque wrench, is there a rule of thumb to adjust the torque settings and end up withing the 60-75 ftlb range?

Am I down/overplaying the safety issue here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I have a 2012 F-150 FX4 3.5 V6 ecoboost with 65K miles on it. I've changed tires from the old version of the BFG T/A KO tires to the new version T/A KO2, I hear and feel (in the pedal) a slight whirring noise when driving. Is there a definitive way to test if it's the tires or a wheel bearing or something else with limited tools/space?

I am almost positive the new tread block and sidewall design is what's causing the noise, but I want to be sure it wasn't something I was simply not noticing/ignoring previously and only noticed now because I was paying attention to the new tire performance.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 14, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cigaw posted:

Cool, thanks for the replies!

The Haynes Accent manual only spans 1986-2009. I've been waiting for an update, but no luck so far.

If I were to use anti-seize and tighten with a torque wrench, is there a rule of thumb to adjust the torque settings and end up withing the 60-75 ftlb range?

Am I down/overplaying the safety issue here?

There may be, but I am not aware of it. It would probably depend on if you're using copper or lead anti-seize, how much you use etc.

Holy poo poo are they really supposed to be 60-75 ft lbs? The lug nuts on my old car had to be torqued to about 80 or so IIRC.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Skreemer posted:

I have a 2012 F-150 FX4 3.5 V6 ecoboost with 65K miles on it. I've changed tires from the old version of the BFG T/A KO tires to the new version T/A KO2, I hear and feel (in the pedal) a slight whirring noise when driving. Is there a definitive way to test if it's the tires or a wheel bearing or something else with limited tools/space?

I am almost positive the new tread block and sidewall design is what's causing the noise, but I want to be sure it wasn't something I was simply not noticing/ignoring previously and only noticed now because I was paying attention to the new tire performance.

If you jack up each wheel, and try to wiggle them, you might be able to find some play. Or you can try rotating the tires. Mine got rotated a few months back, there was a noise coming from the front driver's side. I changed the two front tires around, it went away.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Chunjee posted:

2006 Infiniti M45

Was an idiot and went too fast over a speedbump. Came down hard on a large lane dividing bump (why am I in the center of the road? Again, dumbass in a rush). This shattered a corner of the aluminum oilpan and left 3 decent cracks. Hole is about half an inch and longest crack is maybe 4 inches.

I've replaced an oilpan before and it looks really hard to do on this car, so I decide to attempt a repair with fiberglass. This goes as you would expect, it leaks, but I think I have the source of the leak identified. Should have doubled the amount of epoxy used.

Drained the oil and planning to cover the area in RTV silicone today. I wager this a 50/50 shot at holding as the suspect area is along a weird edge the crack followed.
- If I end up taking it into a shop, do I just pay out of pocket or go through insurance?
- Any better sealant than RTV silicone I should reach for?

Will post horrorpics this week assuming I don't get flamed too hard.

As long as we can all agree that this is an awful idea and will only hold for a bit, I reckon there's a way to fiberglass this better. I actually wrote up a big post about maybe rigging up a hotbox and using fiberglass mat to cure the fiberglass faster, but after you've done all that...man, just pull the oil pan.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

So here I am replacing this CV axles on my 2005 camry V6 3.0

I double checked the part numbers on Rockauto.com. these should be like... the same length shouldn't they?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Looks like the left/bottom boot is pretty stretched out. CV joints allow the axle to turn as well as telescope in and out as the wheel turns through its arc. If you push on the left side of the original axle the joint should retract into itself.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

ok, yeah you're right. I've been here fuming at rockauto for the last 30 minutes because I thought they sent me the wrong things.

Stupid questions thread living up to its name :V

Edit: when I pulled the axle out, a bunch of [transmission fluid?] spilled out. Do I need to lubricate the new shaft before I put it in? or just make sure the transmission fluid is full before I start it?

Action Man fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 15, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Action Man posted:

Edit: when I pulled the axle out, a bunch of [transmission fluid?] spilled out. Do I need to lubricate the new shaft before I put it in? or just make sure the transmission fluid is full before I start it?

Check the level afterwards. No need to lubricate the shaft, the differential it connects to is bathed in transmission fluid.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Action Man posted:

So here I am replacing this CV axles on my 2005 camry V6 3.0

I double checked the part numbers on Rockauto.com. these should be like... the same length shouldn't they?

Protip: if you have to do this job again, use a pry bar instead of heaving on the axle until it pops free. You run the risk of the CV joint separating if you're yanking on it, which makes a mess (... worse than the kind of mess you get from repeatedly yanking on other things :v: it takes a lot more than a dirty sock to clean up)... then you're still stuck having to pry the remains out. They usually snap in and out (and you'll know when you get the new one snapped in - it'll click and won't be easy to pull back out). If you don't snap it in, it may pop out (of the differential, anyway) on its own at an inopportune time.

Sometimes a gentle tap or two from a mallet on that metal part before the inner CV joint (NOT ON THE JOINT) will be needed to get it to snap in.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 15, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS. Manual transmission.

My reverse gear shift is giving me issues. It doesn't seem to shift into Reverse gear very well. Almost like it isn't fully "popping" into the reverse gear. Kind of stops halfway, and if I give gas while in this position it gives me the sickening grinding sound as if someone improperly shifted halfway into the gear.

Is this a sign of a worn/failing clutch? If so, how easy or difficult of a repair is this for a DIYer like me with below-intermediate knowledge of car repairs? I'm guessing that it's pretty major and not within my abilities. I replaced the transmission/gear fluid last Spring. Car's about 147,000km/91,000 miles.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 15, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Probably shift linkage or shift fork issues

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

Probably shift linkage or shift fork issues
Those are new words to me so it sounds the repairs are beyond my (already limited) fixing capabilities. Normally I'd take a closer look myself, but my schedule over the next few days really sucks. Any thoughts as to how much $$ this might cost to fix?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 15, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't expect a clutch problem if you can reliably get it into other gears (especially first). Does shifting to first and then reverse help at all?

Can you observe the transmission end of the shifter cables while someone else tries to get it in reverse? Could be something loose that becomes obvious when it's loaded.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I'm trying to sell my Junker car to a guy who just wants it for parts, and then plans to junk it himself. I have the title, but won't be able to officially sign it over to him (notary/auto tags) because my GF is actually the title holder and isn't available. Is there any issue with just giving him the unsigned title? Pennsylvania. I can get the title signed, but probably not notarized.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

melon cat posted:

Those are new words to me so it sounds the repairs are beyond my (already limited) fixing capabilities. Normally I'd take a closer look myself, but my schedule over the next few days really sucks. Any thoughts as to how much $$ this might cost to fix?

linkage/cables are easy and cheap usually, forks are $$ because they are inside the trans.

The linkage is the collection of parts that connect the shifter to the gearbox, they can be cables or metal linkages. They often have bushings that wear out, meaning that you are not able to fully engage the gear because of the play in the linkages.

Watch this to get an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQqCyw_DEA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elysium posted:

So I'm trying to sell my Junker car to a guy who just wants it for parts, and then plans to junk it himself. I have the title, but won't be able to officially sign it over to him (notary/auto tags) because my GF is actually the title holder and isn't available. Is there any issue with just giving him the unsigned title? Pennsylvania. I can get the title signed, but probably not notarized.

The unsigned title is useless to him. He can't reregister it or apply for a new title until it is. It's not his car until it is signed over to him.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The unsigned title is useless to him. He can't reregister it or apply for a new title until it is. It's not his car until it is signed over to him.

Ok, sure, the question is does he need to ever reregister it or apply for a new title if he's going to junk it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elysium posted:

Ok, sure, the question is does he need to ever reregister it or apply for a new title if he's going to junk it.

Junking it means tranferring the title to the junkyard, so probably yes, he has to apply for a new title. If junking it means leaving to rot on his own property, probably not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, junkyards are rightfully generally very reluctant to deal in vehicles with questionable title status.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

melon cat posted:

My reverse gear shift is giving me issues. It doesn't seem to shift into Reverse gear very well. Almost like it isn't fully "popping" into the reverse gear. Kind of stops halfway, and if I give gas while in this position it gives me the sickening grinding sound as if someone improperly shifted halfway into the gear.

Are you completely unable to shift into reverse or will it go into gear after the car sits still for a few seconds/when shifting into reverse from a full stop?

Reverse is typically unsyncronized in modern manual transmissions so it's not uncommon to encounter difficulty shifting and grinding if you're shifting from a forward gear directly into reverse.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Protip: if you have to do this job again, use a pry bar instead of heaving on the axle until it pops free.

Thanks, the right side was a beast to remove. The left side is leaking slightly, I guess I might not have it seated all the way. I'll double check them. I've got it at the alignment shop right now.

The new tie rod I put on a couple months ago was bad. I think the vibrations from the CV joint may have worn it out prematurely (does that sound right?) But the good news there is I think the steering rack is fine

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

https://youtu.be/wSCkbJbzrd8

This is how much play there is, whacking that piece with a hammer doesn't seem to want to do anything.

Update: I removed the axle completely from The Hub so that I could get better access to it. Grabbing that big cylinder and pulling won't get it out of the transmission, so I would assume it's seated... But there's still that but of play and it leaks fluid from the seal.

Action Man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 16, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Axle seal is hosed, and it's very common for them to start leaking when you swap an axle - the seal's probably original (I think you said you had the original half shafts, right?), and dry rotted by now. You'll need to pull the axle again, carefully remove the seal, and tap a new seal into its place.

The hardest part will be removing the seal without damaging the transaxle casing. It might will definitely come out in multiple pieces if it's old and brittle enough. You just need to make sure not to scratch or gouge the surfaces it seals against. I'm no pro, but I usually use an angled pick to catch behind the seal and pry it out slowly. You can leverage against the surface behind the seal a little, but try not to touch the areas around the outside edge with anything metal. You can also use a small screw driven into the seal (just not close to the outside edge), then use pliers to pull it out.

New seal is cheap (probably $20ish at the dealer, :10bux: for a parts store brand, guessing). Installation is pretty easy, so long as you have a block of wood and a hammer or mallet (preferably mallet). Need to oil up the new seal before it goes in (assuming you have an automatic, so use whatever ATF your car uses - just smear a light layer all over the seal with your finger), but the most important thing is driving it in evenly all the way around (hence the block of wood). Spring side goes toward the inside, if it's the style with a spring.

That play looks pretty normal to me, but I've only played with beater Hondas and Nissans. Take a beefy flathead screwdriver or a prybar and stick it between that "big cylinder" (I don't know the proper name either...) and the transaxle housing, pop it (so that the torque will be going toward the cylinder) with a hammer, and it should come out.

Advice for future Action Man: go ahead and replace the axle seal anytime you pull the axle, unless the seal has been replaced very recently. It's cheap insurance against a leak, and something that gets overlooked often.

Tie rod shouldn't have worn out that quick. It was probably bad from the get-go.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 16, 2017

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Yay, I can't wait to pull the axles back out. I wish I'd thought I'd that the first time.
That seems right though, I was just worried the shaft want in all the way somehow. I was watching videos of guys really wailing on the axles with a hammer to seat it. It to a lot of force to get them out, but not so much to go back in. I can't really figure it a good way to exert more force in it without damaging something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's normal for them to be a lot harder to remove. They're meant to pop in pretty easy, and be a lot harder to remove. The guys who had to wail on them with a hammer to get them to seat probably either had the wrong axles (manual vs auto, or different trim level, wrong year, or something where the spline count was different) or were too impatient to feel for where the splines lined up and just went for the brute force method.

Every time I've swapped them, when reinstalling, I just grab it by that metal collar (between the inner CV and gearbox), turn it slowly to feel for the splines to line up, then give it a good shove in. You'll feel the click when it locks in, but you can double check by trying to pull it back out. They have enough teeth that you shouldn't have to turn it much to line it up with the diff.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 16, 2017

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

melon cat posted:

Is this a sign of a worn/failing clutch? If so, how easy or difficult of a repair is this for a DIYer like me with below-intermediate knowledge of car repairs? I'm guessing that it's pretty major and not within my abilities. I replaced the transmission/gear fluid last Spring. Car's about 147,000km/91,000 miles.

Doesn't the manual elantra have a reverse lockout thing - like a ring just below the shift knob that you have to lift to get it into reverse? Is it going up all the way? Perhaps just this part of the linkage is screwy

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Guys, need some help figuring out why I'm getting flat tires. '05 Accord AT, 150k miles.

Last weekend: tires rotated at Walmart

2 days ago:
Came out of a parking lot somewhat fast, felt/sounded like the front end hit the road and made a WHUMP. As I got on the highway, front passenger side tire went WUB-WUB-WUB. Got out and it was completely flat.
Called roadside assistance, had guy put on a spare.

Last night:
Took the car to America's Tire and they said the tire was too eaten up (side wall very soft in places), put on a new tire and switched it out with the rear passenger. Drove it home, seemed fine.

This morning:
Just started driving and same WUB WUB sound, got out and front passenger is flat.

So just to be clear, new tire/front passenger rim placed on back, old tire/back passenger rim placed on the front, and it is now the latter that is flat.

Since I seem to have hit something, and since this is a different tire and wheel than what was on the front before, I figure it must be something wrong with the wheel well? But what could that be?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Junking it means tranferring the title to the junkyard, so probably yes, he has to apply for a new title. If junking it means leaving to rot on his own property, probably not.

Title holder is now available to officially transfer the title. Buyer says he doesn't really care as long as it's signed, presumably he doesn't want to pay title fees and whatnot on a junk car, and says his scrap guy will take it with the signed (not notarized title). Are there legal issues for us if we just give him the signed title? Like if the police find a dead hooker in the trunk of "our" car on the side of the road?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Still having issues with the Volvo 850. Struggled to start last night, finally did but I had to give it some gas. Drove it to the store and it died in the parking lot. Struggled to start, then struggled to idle then died again and the battery was too low to start it. Walked home.

Threw the battery on a charger for a few hours, started up and drove home fine.

Battery is 3.5 years old but tested fine at Autozone both in the car and on the bench. I still think it's that but I'm taking it to a shop tonight to make sure before I spend the money on a battery. I've been looking for drains on the battery but haven't been able to find anything. Disconnected it'll drop down to about 12.17V and hold there but I don't know what CCA it has left.

Could also be a connection somewhere or the alternator I think, or even not an electrical issue. Could be a fuel delivery issue. It's my winter car and I need to get this figured out like now.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 16, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

CornHolio posted:

Still having issues with the Volvo 850. Struggled to start last night, finally did but I had to give it some gas. Drove it to the store and it died in the parking lot. Struggled to start, then struggled to idle then died again and the battery was too low to start it. Walked home.

Battery is 3.5 years old but tested fine at Autozone both in the car and on the bench. I still think it's that but I'm taking it to a shop tonight to make sure before I spend the money on a battery. I've been looking for drains on the battery but haven't been able to find anything. Disconnected it'll drop down to about 12.17V and hold there but I don't know what CCA it has left.

Could also be a connection somewhere or the alternator I think, or even not an electrical issue. Could be a fuel delivery issue. It's my winter car and I need to get this figured out like now.

What condition is your throttle body in? My mom had a P80 S70 low boost that went through two TB's in 220k miles, my P2 S60R's TB gave up the ghost at 99k right as I was selling it. Had similar hard start lovely idle symptoms when they let go.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Elysium posted:

Title holder is now available to officially transfer the title. Buyer says he doesn't really care as long as it's signed, presumably he doesn't want to pay title fees and whatnot on a junk car, and says his scrap guy will take it with the signed (not notarized title). Are there legal issues for us if we just give him the signed title? Like if the police find a dead hooker in the trunk of "our" car on the side of the road?

Do a bill of sale on top of anything you do, buyer/seller sign both copies. Not necessarily legally binding bit at least shows good faith in what the disposition of the vehicle was if something does come up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CornHolio posted:

Struggled to start, or struggled to turn over?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Struggled to start, or struggled to turn over?

Struggles to start. I hear the starter engaging fine until the battery is so low that it doesnt.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

What condition is your throttle body in? My mom had a P80 S70 low boost that went through two TB's in 220k miles, my P2 S60R's TB gave up the ghost at 99k right as I was selling it. Had similar hard start lovely idle symptoms when they let go.

What should I check? I know the throttle cable is wonky, if I floor it it'll jump off of the track and stick open.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

CornHolio posted:

Struggles to start. I hear the starter engaging fine until the battery is so low that it doesnt.

What should I check? I know the throttle cable is wonky, if I floor it it'll jump off of the track and stick open.

Hard, unpopular mode, is hook up VIDA/DICE and look at the metrics for it and reset it and see how it does. I know not everyone has that, but from what I remember on swedespeed (go there if you aren't already, all the answers are there and they're nice), you can yank it and clean it because the idle circuit likes to gum up and not work.
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/how-to-clean-volvo-throttle-body.html

The flooring it and sticking open bit is bad. Figure out what you need to do to fix that.

Throttle bodies are also really cheap and take like 20 minutes to replace on those too, of it comes to that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Recommendations for a battery to last 3-5 years at most? This thing is very old, but desperately needs a replacement for its almost 10 year old battery.

Not sure if they make different types of batteries, it’s a ‘99 Subaru Impreza.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
88 F150 oil leak update:

I got my tranny, clutch and flywheel off. My oil leak definitely was the rear main seal, judging from the oil on the back side of the flywheel. The funny thing is that the seal looked perfectly fine. I replaced anyway it along with the sleeve using the applicator tool, being extra careful not to scratch anything. Everything is almost back together. I wish I could test the seal with the transmission off before I go and put everything back together, but no, that's what the starter mounts to...

Thanks for everyone's help by the way. I owe you all a beer.

PS how well do those flywheel holder tools work? I got mine back on and all the bolts torqued down to spec, but it wasn't easy. I had to jam a prybar in the starter hole on the plate and hold it with my knee to get both hands on the torque wrench since the bolts had to be so tight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CornHolio posted:

Struggles to start. I hear the starter engaging fine until the battery is so low that it does not.

Definitely not the battery, then. I'd start stashing nickels away though, lead-acid batteries aren't fond of being discharged like that, and you're stressing an already-old battery. Not saying its a factor now, but it will be in the future.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kid sinister posted:

88 F150 oil leak update:
PS how well do those flywheel holder tools work? I got mine back on and all the bolts torqued down to spec, but it wasn't easy. I had to jam a prybar in the starter hole on the plate and hold it with my knee to get both hands on the torque wrench since the bolts had to be so tight.

Different engine but I found that if I timed the torque wrench so it was going past the centerline of the flywheel, and thus imparting the least possible torque to the rotating assembly then it could actually reach the right torque without spinning the motor. If it was going outboard of the flywheel it spun every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
95 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L 4x4 blah blah.

Trying to change balljoints on one side. It's clear I need a C shaped press. The only ones on eBay Australia are all variants of a red plastic boxed probably cheap Chinese manufactured one. I have no idea what to get.
Can someone please enlighten me?

Worth saying I got to the needing a press stage way too easily. Especially the axle. When I undid the three hub bolts there was nothing else holding it in place. Hmm.
Also the top joint is perfect. Can't move it by hand. But rules is rules. The inspector said top and bottom need replacing so I guess I'd better do that.