Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Eopia posted:

You can get through a run or two of POTD in the time it takes for a single dps queue to pop let alone go through a dungeon so :shrug:

You're assuming that you're always stuck with good players. :shepicide:

Vitamean posted:

If you wanna level fast maybe you should buy a level boost.

Get out of here, Yoshi-P. I don't want to pay $25 for every class, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ShowTime posted:

What makes you dislike 4-man AST? I prefer playing it in 4man over both WHM and SCH. With AST I feel like im actually the most beneficial member in the group, because im able to do pretty significant dps myself as well as buffing everyone elses dps and having all the right tools for any situation. With SCH my pet basically handles the healing and im left just applying my dots and with WHM I basically put regen on target and cast Holy.

I think I just like AST overall in any size content as it seems to require quite a bit of attention to play while the other 2 healers are a bit easier to manage.

Specifically with AST? It's mostly because of my low personal DPS. I don't feel like the cards make up for your lack of damage in 4 person content since spread is so bad, and it's so easy anyway that the most important thing is damage output to make it end faster.

Plus level syncing loving blows chunks since you lose Gravity at 50.

For 8 man content I'm still going AST all the way though because i belief in the heart of the cards

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 15, 2017

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You'll boost yourself to 60 and still get Totorak in roulette.

You can't win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

You'll boost yourself to 60 and still get Totorak in roulette.

You can't win.

"Advanced Player Jump Potion: For only $50 you can use this new potion which will give you access to the special Advanced Leveling Roulette, which removes the following dungeons from Leveling Roulette:
Sastasha.
The Tam-Tara Deepcroft.
Copperbell Mines.
Halatali.
The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak."

(don't a single one of you lie to me, you would buy that.)

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Still has DD, CC and AV? Not feeling super sold here.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Satasha is a good dungeon and you should smile every time you see a bud

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

motoh posted:

Still has DD, CC and AV? Not feeling super sold here.

Those are the Expert Player Pack, you'll need to upgrade for another $25 for that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ImpAtom posted:

"Advanced Player Jump Potion: For only $50 you can use this new potion which will give you access to the special Advanced Leveling Roulette, which removes the following dungeons from Leveling Roulette:
Sastasha.
The Tam-Tara Deepcroft.
Copperbell Mines.
Halatali.

Totorak is the only one I find annoying. Also, how else am I gonna get a cracked cluster for basically spamming 1-2-3 for 15 minutes while not even looking at the screen?

I need my second chances!!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just want to know why 50% of my LLDR runs out me in Somh Al.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thundarr posted:

I just want to know why 50% of my LLDR runs out me in Somh Al.

Its me, while leveling bard I just queued the highest level dungeon possible and fished while the queue ticked. They were nice and short at 10 minutes or so while all of the dps was soaked up by rabanastre and alliance roulette.

Edit: I've never set foot in potd and don't plan to. It sounds boring as gently caress.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Boogalo posted:

Its me, while leveling bard I just queued the highest level dungeon possible and fished while the queue ticked. They were nice and short at 10 minutes or so while all of the dps was soaked up by rabanastre and alliance roulette.

Edit: I've never set foot in potd and don't plan to. It sounds boring as gently caress.

Its fun to run if you dont do it over and over. I still plan on trying to get to the last floor at some point. I would at least recommend playing floors 1-50.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, definitely do Floor 1-50 after you've done Tamtara Hard. And then the tie-in followup quest.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
100-200 (well, 150-200) is some of the actually thought-provoking 4-man content in the game, but you can't jump in at the good levels so it's a huge pain in the rear end.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Renegret posted:

Specifically with AST? It's mostly because of my low personal DPS. I don't feel like the cards make up for your lack of damage in 4 person content since spread is so bad, and it's so easy anyway that the most important thing is damage output to make it end faster.

Plus level syncing loving blows chunks since you lose Gravity at 50.

For 8 man content I'm still going AST all the way though because i belief in the heart of the cards

I'm your local AST main here to tell you (and that other guy) that cards aren't really that good. You are going to break even or may do slightly better with cards if your group is as good or better at doing damage than you are and you can hit that nice 20-30% aoe Balance uptime. You'd be better off playing WHM/SCH if that is not the case. That's how bad AST personal DPS is.

This is for 8-man single target content. I don't think that's a bad number to aim for so go for it if you're running with a static. But if you're pugging or you're in 4-man content (in which cards do even less), you should definitely abandon AST. You're doing way less damage, you have lovely MP management, and people aren't even going to get in your loving star.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Get out of here, Yoshi-P. I don't want to pay $25 for every class, though.

Honestly, if your #1 goal is to get to 60+ as fast as possible, then you should buy a One Hero's Journey from the Final Fantasy XIV Mogstation Web Store.

But DPS queues aren't nearly as bad as they were during Stormblood launch (where I saw a lot of suggestions to do 50-60 in PotD), and if you're queuing for leveling roulette you can plug out your ninja turtle dailies during the wait time, so I wouldn't recommend buying if you've got the time. Also I've gotten nothing but dungeons under level 40 for the past week in leveling roulette so you can technically be 60 but never get a chance to use the good stuff anyway.

I bought a PLD boost for my alt on Excal but that was just so I could unlock Red Mage sooner.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ruta posted:

I'm your local AST main here to tell you (and that other guy) that cards aren't really that good. You are going to break even or may do slightly better with cards if your group is as good or better at doing damage than you are and you can hit that nice 20-30% aoe Balance uptime. You'd be better off playing WHM/SCH if that is not the case. That's how bad AST personal DPS is.

This is for 8-man single target content. I don't think that's a bad number to aim for so go for it if you're running with a static. But if you're pugging or you're in 4-man content (in which cards do even less), you should definitely abandon AST. You're doing way less damage, you have lovely MP management, and people aren't even going to get in your loving star.

Sounds like you don't belief

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The problem with boost potions is you won't get to play your job's story quests since the potions finish the quests for you automatically, and then what's the point of leveling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Sastasha.
The Tam-Tara Deepcroft.
Copperbell Mines.
Halatali.

I actually don't mind some of those dungeons. :ohdear:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The first 2 are fine, it's just lovely losing 95% of your abilities. Even Thousand Maws would be tolerable if they like halved the length of that stupid slow ooze tunnel. The rest can eat poo poo though

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ruta posted:

PIggybacking on this, also main ast. Cards are mainly just a button I press to keep from being bored in 4 man content they bring nothing particularly useful to the table and the tank is going to ignore your star, much as he does any stationary AOE item. They do provide a significant enough boost in 8 man content however. If you know how to fish for cards it's not terribly hard to keep some decent balance uptime (Provided RNG doesn't completely gently caress you) while occasionally flicking out some off brand buffs when it's just not co-operating.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

100-200 (well, 150-200) is some of the actually thought-provoking 4-man content in the game, but you can't jump in at the good levels so it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Absolutely this.

Get 3 people who you can rely on, set a date, get on your Voice Over IP of choice and do the thing. Might take multiple tries of doing the thing but its worth it. If you have the stomach for it, level up your weapon and armor power by leveling alt-jobs in 51-60. This wont be as effective as your proper runs from 50-200 but it has the bonus of alt-xp.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

PIggybacking on this, also main ast. Cards are mainly just a button I press to keep from being bored in 4 man content they bring nothing particularly useful to the table and the tank is going to ignore your star, much as he does any stationary AOE item. They do provide a significant enough boost in 8 man content however. If you know how to fish for cards it's not terribly hard to keep some decent balance uptime (Provided RNG doesn't completely gently caress you) while occasionally flicking out some off brand buffs when it's just not co-operating.

You’re unique in being able to force tanks to use a defensive cooldown at least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

The first 2 are fine, it's just lovely losing 95% of your abilities. Even Thousand Maws would be tolerable if they like halved the length of that stupid slow ooze tunnel. The rest can eat poo poo though

I've said this before, but it would be really cool if you more or less had a full rotation by the time you step into Sastasha, and further levels just add minor OGCDs or traits that improve your rotation.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

You’re unique in being able to force tanks to use a defensive cooldown at least.

Not entirely. WHM and SCH can both throw dr ground aoe's which is basically a "Cooldown if you stay within it" that are fairly large. And everyone gets a semi crappy one in role actions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not entirely. WHM and SCH can both throw dr ground aoe's which is basically a "Cooldown if you stay within it" that are fairly large. And everyone gets a semi crappy one in role actions.

Tanks will run out of a sacred soil/etc immediately you know that.

I main casters and completely forgot about apoc... however you spell it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Asylum isn't a damage reduction, it's a fairly strong regen.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I've said this before, but it would be really cool if you more or less had a full rotation by the time you step into Sastasha, and further levels just add minor OGCDs or traits that improve your rotation.

Or at least give everyone aoe by level 15

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Mage feels pretty feature complete in low level dungeons because you have Scatter and Veraero/thunder. Everything should have at least that level of functionality at low level.

Monk is pretty ok low level too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 15, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm pretty sure a single lustrate will provide more ehp than sacred soil will ever mitigate in a 4 man.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I'm pretty sure a single energy drain will provide more ehp than sacred soil will ever mitigate in a 4 man.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Keep your ehp out of my 4-mans, you pervs. Use those heals in your house or apartment.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Erotic healer playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Erotic healer playing.

I mean I've played enough Overwatch to know that's a thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Get up sweetie, casting {Raise}

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Erotic Health Points the most important points

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Red Mage feels pretty feature complete in low level dungeons because you have Scatter and Veraero/thunder. Everything should have at least that level of functionality at low level.

Partially true but if you get Totorak as red mage you end up in the hellish situation where you've got Verfire but not Verstone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Get up sweetie, casting {Raise}

:mediocre:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What materia are good for WHM again right now? Crit?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

What materia are good for WHM again right now? Crit?

All of the usual suspects. If you share your armor with your other healer jobs you probably want to ignore spell speed though. IIRC you play sch too so go crit. Det would be fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vitamean posted:

Partially true but if you get Totorak as red mage you end up in the hellish situation where you've got Verfire but not Verstone.

I didn't think Toto-Rak could get any worse but there it is.