Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i consider myself midway between an optimist and and pessimist. a pretty level headed dude. but lol if you still have confidence in the american voter not to reelect trump in 2020.

"i didnt pay attention to anything that happened in the last four years but this guy has an R next to his name. looks like 4 more years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i consider myself midway between an optimist and and pessimist. a pretty level headed dude. but lol if you still have confidence in the american voter not to reelect trump in 2020.

"i didnt pay attention to anything that happened in the last four years but this guy has an R next to his name. looks like 4 more years."

If Hillary Clinton runs again, Trump will win without question.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha, this is a big fuckin deal. I wouldn't be surprised if some notable Republicans come out in favor, a lot of them want him gone too.

Double edged since it means Pence goes in office, or Ryan, or any other shitlord in like a list of 20

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Zinjnok posted:

If you’re not a rich white christian, Pence doesn’t care if you live or die. He also had a habit of answering the door for room service at hotels in nothing but his underwear. So it would probably be about the same.

the same, but more competent, which is terrifying

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

blunt for century posted:

the same, but more competent, which is terrifying

Yep, I’m from Indiana so I know first hand how lovely Pence can be as a “leader”.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, wasn't Pence at the forefront of the efforts to turn the gay marriage debate into "but my religious freedom!" after the Supreme Court legalized it nationwide?

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, wasn't Pence at the forefront of the efforts to turn the gay marriage debate into "but my religious freedom!" after the Supreme Court legalized it nationwide?

Yes, and then spent more than $1M on PR to recover the state’s image after the nationwide blowback.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There was a huge effort post from a Hoosier breaking down why pence was literally the most wasteful, most spiteful, and incompetent governor the state ever had. It was detailed.

Found it: Why is Mike Pence disliked in Indiana?

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Nov 15, 2017

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Zinjnok posted:

Yes, and then spent more than $1M on PR to recover the state’s image after the nationwide blowback.

We also got ourselves a law requiring burial or cremation for all abortions, miscarriages, and still-births which led to the Periods for Pence group being formed and inundating his office with phone calls every time they got their periods.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zinjnok posted:

If you’re not a rich white christian, Pence doesn’t care if you live or die. He also had a habit of answering the door for room service at hotels in nothing but his underwear. So it would probably be about the same.

That's Mormon underwear so essentially a three-piece suit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not well-up on who's who in the Democratic Party but it seems to me that their main choices for 2020 are Sanders, Biden and Warren, who will be 80, 76 and 72 that year. While age needn't be an issue and the whole cult of youth thing you saw in politics 5-10 years ago is overrated, surely it does not speak well of things if your most realistic frontrunners are all senior citizens (and running against a president who's another senior citizen, to boot). :shrug:

The only other Democrats I know about are: Gillibrand (who's probably too similar to Clinton); Booker (who's probably too right-wing relative to the rest of the party); Gabbard (who I don't know much about but who clued-in people who are much more left-wing than I am don't seem to like because they think she's some kind of wolf in sheep's clothing or something); and Mark Zuckerberg (lol).

It doesn't seem like much of a bench, to be honest. Who else do you have?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tammy Duckworth, if she decided to run.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That woman from California who roasted Sessions in the Senate sessions on Sessions's Russian sessions seems pretty cool.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Democrats are too busy trying to get those sweet, sweet Wall Street dollars to actually run anyone electable. The Schaden is on all of us who are going to have to survive 8 years of Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember the 2016 primary? It's gonna be that again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CommonShore posted:

That woman from California who roasted Sessions in the Senate sessions on Sessions's Russian sessions seems pretty cool.

Kamala Harris?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FogHelmut posted:

Kamala Harris?

Sounds right. I read like a six or seven sentence bio on who she is and what she does, and she seems alright, which is a lot considering I don't live in her constituency, state, or country.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Sounds right. I read like a six or seven sentence bio on who she is and what she does, and she seems alright, which is a lot considering I don't live in her constituency, state, or country.

The left hates her. Former prosecutor who failed to go after some bad financial actors in the wake of the 2008 stuff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've met her. She seems cool enough.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

She sounds like a villain from Ducktales.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not well-up on who's who in the Democratic Party but it seems to me that their main choices for 2020 are Sanders, Biden and Warren, who will be 80, 76 and 72 that year. While age needn't be an issue and the whole cult of youth thing you saw in politics 5-10 years ago is overrated, surely it does not speak well of things if your most realistic frontrunners are all senior citizens (and running against a president who's another senior citizen, to boot). :shrug:

The only other Democrats I know about are: Gillibrand (who's probably too similar to Clinton); Booker (who's probably too right-wing relative to the rest of the party); Gabbard (who I don't know much about but who clued-in people who are much more left-wing than I am don't seem to like because they think she's some kind of wolf in sheep's clothing or something); and Mark Zuckerberg (lol).

It doesn't seem like much of a bench, to be honest. Who else do you have?

I think Al Franken would have a surprisingly good chance if he decides to go for it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Applesnots posted:

She sounds like a villain from Ducktales.

Nah, Tammy's not a sinister enough name. Seems more like the niece of one of Scrooge's old friends or something.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Powered Descent posted:

I think Al Franken would have a surprisingly good chance if he decides to go for it.

He's good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like him.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
read the whole thread
https://twitter.com/gettinnoticedmo/status/930599307719274496

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

zoux posted:

The left hates her. Former prosecutor who failed to go after some bad financial actors in the wake of the 2008 stuff.

meh, she's more progressive than Feinstein

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is this two performance artists having a thing? People like that don't really exist...right...?

Right...?

:smith:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'd love to see Duckworth run, she seems like a cool and competent person. Prepare for a whole new round of Obama-era citizenship/religion questioning with her being born in Thailand and her mom being Thai-Chinese though. Not saying that should in any way stop her, just something to be ready for. Also possibly another Swift Boating attempt, though how they would spin that I have no idea.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Don't know how you Swift Boat someone with actual missing legs. Then again Republicans somehow convinced Georgians that Max Cleland wasn't patriotic enough.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'd love to see Duckworth run, she seems like a cool and competent person. Prepare for a whole new round of Obama-era citizenship/religion questioning with her being born in Thailand and her mom being Thai-Chinese though. Not saying that should in any way stop her, just something to be ready for. Also possibly another Swift Boating attempt, though how they would spin that I have no idea.

I thought you had to be born in the US or on a US military base to be eligible for US President, though. I would not be surprised if I was supremely misinformed about this, but it's what I've always bee told.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

Nah, Tammy's not a sinister enough name. Seems more like the niece of one of Scrooge's old friends or something.

You haven't known enough Tammy's

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

I thought you had to be born in the US or on a US military base to be eligible for US President, though. I would not be surprised if I was supremely misinformed about this, but it's what I've always bee told.

If Canadian-born Ted Cruz was able to run I'm sure Duckworth can

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SpacePig posted:

The phrase is "natural born citizen." It's never really come up in a legal sense, but it's generally thought to mean "anyone who is/would be a citizen at birth." If you're born in a hospital in France but you would have citizenship by virtue of one of your parents being American, you're a natural born citizen. If you're born in America, you are a citizen regardless of where your parents are from because we have jus soli citizenship. A person born elsewhere to two non-citizen parents who then emigrates to the US and is naturalized could not be POTUS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Don't know how you Swift Boat someone with actual missing legs.

Considering Trump got away with calling John McCain a loser for being a POW, I can't imagine the grade school insults hurled at Tammy Duckworth.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

GrandpaPants posted:

Considering Trump got away with calling John McCain a loser for being a POW, I can't imagine the grade school insults hurled at Tammy Duckworth.

probably "woman"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The number 1 lesson from the election should be that voters care a lot less about "decency" than Take Generators assume. Trump realized that the secret was to not pretend to be sorry for being an rear end in a top hat.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SubponticatePoster posted:

The phrase is "natural born citizen." It's never really come up in a legal sense, but it's generally thought to mean "anyone who is/would be a citizen at birth." If you're born in a hospital in France but you would have citizenship by virtue of one of your parents being American, you're a natural born citizen. If you're born in America, you are a citizen regardless of where your parents are from because we have jus soli citizenship. A person born elsewhere to two non-citizen parents who then emigrates to the US and is naturalized could not be POTUS.

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

During Thursday night's debate between Kirk and challenger Rep. Tammy Duckworth, Duckworth spoke about her desire to be in the Senate as a voice of reason and referenced her family's history of service, saying, "My family has served this nation in uniform, going back to the Revolution. I'm a daughter of the American Revolution. I've bled for this nation. But I still want to be there in the Senate when the drums of war sound. Because people are quick to sound the drums of war, and I want to be there to say this is what it costs, this is what you’re asking us to do. … Families like mine are the ones that bleed first.”

Kirk responded: "I had forgotten that your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington."

america is more disgusting than you think

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

zakharov posted:

The number 1 lesson from the election should be that voters care a lot less about "decency" than Take Generators assume. Trump realized that the secret was to not pretend to be sorry for being an rear end in a top hat.

Trump lost the popular vote.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Schubalts posted:

Trump lost the popular vote.

Honestly at this point your best hope is for the Iraqis to put together a coalition to spread democracy to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbhSE69j2tM/

Drake stops a song, points directly at a guy and says, twice, 'if you don't stop touching girls I'm gonna gently caress your rear end up.' crowd loses it. No idea if the guy got home safe but I hope not