Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

madcow posted:

How about when they teased new items to replace uniques for over a year and then never added them the game...

Yeah, not only having to redo all of my items, but also not wanting to do it because new better items were coming "soon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Kainser posted:

Never forget

Jesus Christ they gave up in only one page

Spicy skillet, like the human torch!
Thingburger! The bun looks like him? And he's big?
Uhhh the glaze that we put on this normal rear end breakfast is clear (kinda like invisible)
*Looks at mr fantastic for a full minute* here is an omelette

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
FOUR cheese omelette you mentally deficient nincompoop

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
did we ever find out the best tte for the thingburger?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, not only having to redo all of my items, but also not wanting to do it because new better items were coming "soon!"
And also, half the items you had that were really good for that character, are now very bad for them. And what's good for them is probably good for most of your roster so have fun!

RIP this stupid game, 1171 hours of listening to podcasts with occasional Taskmaster and Green Goblin voice clips breaking through, lost like tears in rain.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

The bue really killed it for me. It wasn't even the movement change, it was just logging in and realizing I had hours of micromanaging my inventory just to re-equip my toons in any manner that made sense and I really didn't want to.
the insane item inflation on pc was why i had so much hope for a "new start" on console. the pc version was never going to roll back the insane amount of bullshit. i remember playing during some event during midtown madness and actively being bored having to click through so much bullshit on the ground, then having to spend so much time sorting it.

i know people see this game in beta/release with rose colored glasses, but this game was legit loving garbage for a long time after it was released, and it was legitimately amazing to see how much the staff improved the game during its "golden age." i think part of what made the game so impactful, for me at least, was seeing it improve so much month by month. there was a year and a half there where the game went from a sloppy, aimless heap to a legitimately great video game.

raids were a mistake, rip marvel heroes

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

I like the part in which they made it sound like Omega items and Omega difficulty were a part of the BUE, but then Asros started asking "what isn't finished about the BUE?" a month or two after it rolled out.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Man. Remember all the new zone designs that getting rid of infinite dashes was going to allow them to create?

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

cams posted:

Yeah it was amusing watching it go from Ryolnir admitting as much, to the new creative director making it sound like they were working on bringing more.

I would be curious to see what they were working on, presumably there were new areas, movie tie-ins, etc.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

cams posted:

the insane item inflation on pc was why i had so much hope for a "new start" on console. the pc version was never going to roll back the insane amount of bullshit. i remember playing during some event during midtown madness and actively being bored having to click through so much bullshit on the ground, then having to spend so much time sorting it.

i know people see this game in beta/release with rose colored glasses, but this game was legit loving garbage for a long time after it was released, and it was legitimately amazing to see how much the staff improved the game during its "golden age." i think part of what made the game so impactful, for me at least, was seeing it improve so much month by month. there was a year and a half there where the game went from a sloppy, aimless heap to a legitimately great video game.

Just wondering, what period would we all classify as the game's Golden Age? What was their peak of creativity?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Strange Matter posted:

Just wondering, what period would we all classify as the game's Golden Age? What was their peak of creativity?

That one week the first month or two when Hulk's jump compounded damage as long as you stayed in the same instance, so everyone with Hulk stayed in Midtown jumping around and one-shotting bosses while the non-Hulks just hung around nearby and leveled like crazy back when leveling was difficult.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it I could say what the best time period was but thinking about on it off the cuff it really does feel like every stage of the game was always "Yeah but this NEXT NEW EXCITING THING is gonna be even better!" Yet that better never came. It was always the next thing will be better and then it came out and it was a little disappointing.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Saving all those forms of currency for a rainy day never paid off.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

it may not have lasted as long as my memory thought, but from the fall/winter of 2014 with the first new character releases of luke cage and emma frost, until... i'd say the defensive rework was the last genuinely constructive piece of development. during that period, they seemed to be actively improving the game in intelligent ways on a regular basis.

i liked the design choices of bue, but without omega items/difficulty, it was just completely without substance, and it pretty much killed the game by removing what little endgame it had.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kainser posted:

Never forget

I will always regret I couldn't get my hands on a Thing Burger.

cams posted:

Can't believe I'm agreeing with cams.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

There wasn't a single "golden age", the game was always sort of bad, but there was a time that it was constantly getting better month by month. Then the updates started becoming more sparse. The game was always getting better as time went on, but then BUE hit during a long content drought and divided the community over several pet issues and that actively made people quit. I don't know too much about what happened after, but it seemed like they kept messing up and upsetting the playerbase.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Strange Matter posted:

I'm biased because it's the only pack I ever bought, but the Bring on the Bad Guys pack era: Venom was a cool idea (health vs "spirit" kinda attribute), Juggernaut's Momentum is great even bearing in mind the end result was "just spin around and then elbow drop" in execution, Rogue's the perfect character for this intersection of genres (MMO for "you need other people for everything", ARPG for "always more poo poo to collect from new bosses") even if getting team-up powers was a pain in the rear end, and Magneto at least...the tried, even if it took the BUE for them to realize Debris shouldn't be a tertiary resource.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Has anyone told Harry Tasker?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Well poo poo, I was just thinking of reinstalling this to see if they ever did fix Squirrel Girl, guess I can save myself the time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The golden age was when AOEs didn't have a max range on them for some reason so I threw a captain america shield in midtown and it bounced around the map for like 15 minutes and just leveled afk.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Strange Matter posted:

There was a period from the release of the Genosha raid and half a year afterwards where I was legitimately optimistic about the future. They were releasing well received heroes like Juggernaut and Magneto (he was considered good at the time OK) at a good pace and were making regular updates.

still waiting for red genosha

e; but man, remember back when they managed to release a new hero every month? Crazy

also Brevik wanting to release them even faster :lol:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 15, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Gunjin posted:

Well poo poo, I was just thinking of reinstalling this to see if they ever did fix Squirrel Girl, guess I can save myself the time.

Well they've fixed her now. Fixed her for good.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I had a good time when I joined in the summer of 2015. They had their aggressive update schedule in place (52 reviews, etc.), the events were fresh and new, and they were handing out free codes for random hero boxes, etc. all the time. Then they stopped with the codes, the events became recycled and stale, and the beginning of the end began once Brevik and friends left and got replaced with an idiot, who completely shifted the development road and let the PC platform stagnate.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Man. Remember all the new zone designs that getting rid of infinite dashes was going to allow them to create?

i member ppl yelling at me when i said it was consolized fail aids

turns out it was terminal lmao

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Think of all the new content they'll be able to produce now.

Somewhere else.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

This game had it's moments and of all the goon communities i've been kinda sorta hanging on the fringe of, this game was one of them. Big RIP to my boy Juggy. Forever charging around dropping elbows was way more fun than it probably had any right to be.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

a big fat bunny posted:

This game had it's moments and of all the goon communities i've been kinda sorta hanging on the fringe of, this game was one of them. Big RIP to my boy Juggy. Forever charging around dropping elbows was way more fun than it probably had any right to be.
The current seasonal gift in Diablo 3 for Demon Hunter gives you a path to a build that ends up kinda like that, where you just run around all day (well, Strafe around) and occasionally drop grenades

But it's not the same, I acknowledge

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

rust in piss

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

hey do you think this will open the door for a competent company to do marvel diablo

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The current seasonal gift in Diablo 3 for Demon Hunter gives you a path to a build that ends up kinda like that, where you just run around all day (well, Strafe around) and occasionally drop grenades

But it's not the same, I acknowledge

Cosplaying in D3 was never quite as satisfying, no.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Just heard the news, sad, had some good times.

This was in a goon clan in 2014

NoMas fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 15, 2017

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Percelus posted:

hey do you think this will open the door for a competent company to do marvel diablo

Too much effort for not enough reward compared to phone games, or it is going to end up being an awful game that has loot boxes as a source of advancement.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I only noticed this now but I love that when they memory holed the fantastic four they also removed the fantastic posting badge on their forums, but they only removed the image without adding anything new so posters like me who are at that tier just have a blank space there that you can mouse over for 'Fantastic'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fantastic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The guy that knows how to fully remove the link is on vacation.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
this makes me sad. My favorite thing was following along the tournaments and all that good stuff. Marvel Heroes may have died but goons will continue so I guess it's fine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Strange Matter posted:

When we were all Silver Surfman

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

The guy that knows how to fully remove the link is on vacation.

Switchflipper's in for a shock when he finally comes back from vacation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If anyone wants to log in I can invite you a hub they're trying to crash by inviting a ton of people. It's pretty packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
We’re sad to inform our players and our entire Marvel Heroes family that Marvel Heroes Omega will be shutting down. The Marvel Heroes servers will stay on until Dec 31, 2017, and we’ll be removing real money purchases as soon as possible. Players will be able to play the game entirely for free once this sunset period commences. We will share the exact date things go completely free as soon as we can.

We’ve had the privilege of entertaining and collaborating with our players for over four years. We’re extremely humbled by that privilege and wanted to get this message out: Thank you. Thank you to our players, our tireless employees, and everyone involved in the life of Marvel Heroes, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Heroes 2016, and Marvel Heroes Omega.