Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not like he had to be bad just because it was Steppenwolf. They could have altered him for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Steppenwolf isn’t bad, he’s just not really noteworthy. I mean I’d wager more people had heard of freaking Whiplash before Iron Man 2 than him.

They could have elevated the character’s profile with a good story but by all appearances they didn’t pull it off.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Barry Convex posted:

I don't know which out of Snyder, Goyer, or Terrio came up with the Martha bit, but that's exactly the sort of plot point that only someone who's convinced he's being extremely clever could come up with, which makes it all the more amusing how badly it worked and how poorly it was received.

I'm pretty sure it was Snyder, I've seen several article taht basically were about him posting tweets patting himself on how some dumb background poo poo like Batman's kryptonite grenades having the letters Pb on them went unnoticed or how during a scene that was deleted from the theatrical cut but put back in for the Ultimate edition where a cop watched a football game was supposed to be a hit at Cyborg.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 15, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't remember exactly but there was another idiom involving the act of urination with Holly Hunter so there was an obsession going on there

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Steppenwolf sounds like the name of a Danish rock band that think they're more hardcore than they actually are.

"We're Steppenwolf! And we just spent all night mixing Pixie Stix with soda and knocking on other people's doors at the hotel! This next song is called 'The Devil Has Boobies!'"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Excuse me, we don't acknowledge how dumb Kirby names are.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
There actually was a band called steppenwolf, they made Born to be Wild.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They were Canadian.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not sure it was ever there to be cut. Darkseid is mentioned once as a “for darkseid” statement. Never shown. Or explained / alluded who he is. Same with the New Gods. Just a quick name drop without context. The boom tubes aren’t explained either. Steppenwolf just uses them every now and then. No hint at the end of this “attack” being part of a bigger plan.

The post-credit scene is bad because I refuse to believe anyone on Earth can pose a threat to Superman.

There have been rumors from sites like Batman-On-Film that there were more extensive Darkseid/Fourth World teases in the shooting script (which may have even made it into earlier cuts of the film), including a full-on Darkseid cameo appearance a la Thanos.

We'll probably never know for sure, but I'm inclined to believe them, because, well, why else would you choose fuckin' Steppenwolf as the villain?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

zoux posted:

Why did you say that :catstare:

Zack's mother is also Martha Marsha

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

It's not like he had to be bad just because it was Steppenwolf. They could have altered him for the movie.

Definitely, but at least to some extent, his weakness as a villain probably stems from his being selected mainly to set up Darkseid for a film that now may never happen, as opposed to Snyder/Terrio actually having a story idea for him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David D. Davidson posted:

They should have been the villains for Justice League.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Steppenwolf vs a hungry Duran Duran

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

fruit on the bottom posted:

Steppenwolf vs a hungry Duran Duran

Like how hungry are we talking? is there some sort of animal it compares to?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Nothing comes to mind. Just really really hungry

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hungry like a whale perhaps?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

They're the only Steppenwolf I have any kind of familiarity with, so it's what my brain defaults to when I'm reading summaries, which probably makes the movie sound a lot better than it really is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What are the box office projections on this thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

$110m-ish

It's funny that there's all this handwringing and tinkering with movies that are massively successful. The first one of these that bombs is going to take half the board of directors with it.

AV Club with the C-, yeesh.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 15, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:rip:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I still don't understand why Wonder Woman was even in BVS if she didn't play any role in the conflict between them. What if instead of that stupid Martha moment, she breaks up the fight and reasons with them? That way she's more than just a glorified cameo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I still don't understand why Wonder Woman was even in BVS if she didn't play any role in the conflict between them. What if instead of that stupid Martha moment, she breaks up the fight and reasons with them? That way she's more than just a glorified cameo.

It's to set up the shared universe.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

It's to set up the shared universe.

Well yes, obviously. But within the context of the movie she serves no purpose.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They're the only Steppenwolf I have any kind of familiarity with, so it's what my brain defaults to when I'm reading summaries, which probably makes the movie sound a lot better than it really is.

Magic Carpet Ride is a jam.

JT Smiley posted:

I still don't understand why Wonder Woman was even in BVS....

So the movie could have at least one good thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JT Smiley posted:

Well the movie wouldn't be worth watching otherwise, so she does serve some purpose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah and that's one of the many problems with the movie.

purple death ray posted:

Well the movie wouldn't be worth watching otherwise, so she does serve some purpose.

Fair.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/rockcock64/status/930798691820167169

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

It’s not worth watching now, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't wait to hear about this is actually Snyder satirizing and deconstructing the male gaze.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't wait to hear about this is actually Snyder satirizing and deconstructing the male gaze.

No, it’s obviously Whedon’s fault.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More likely completely incidental and exaggerated by the reviewer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

More likely completely incidental and exaggerated by the reviewer

All part of the anti-DC conspiracy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The camera was incidentally positioned in a way to see up Gal Gadot's skirt multiple times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

fruit on the bottom posted:

All part of the anti-DC conspiracy

More like a psychosis

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

More like a psychosis

Dude, for real?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clearly the person who saw the movie and is complaining about dumb fan-service is crazy.

But the dude who hasn't seen the movie and is accusing the reviewer of exaggerating as part of their anti-DC psychosis is perfectly normal.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

More like a psychosis

I don’t think so, Tim.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Phylodox posted:

No, it’s obviously Whedon’s fault.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What if Zack Snyder/WB got George Miller to do the reshoots instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Begins? It’s been going on for months already.

• Locked thread