Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we did get nice box of individual, physical business licences, since, as i said, we are really allergic to buying microsoft things like normal people would

normal people don't buy microsoft products... IT does.

but yeah, since they moved a lot of the previously volume licensing exclusive stuff to office 365/online subs it's been a hell of a lot easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol. do you not share an email domain or do they have some abomination of a hybrid setup?

we do not share the same domain indeed. the org is comprised of several legal entities (like 8), and faithful us did make separate email infra for each

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
siloed motherfucker!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

normal people don't buy microsoft products... IT does.

but yeah, since they moved a lot of the previously volume licensing exclusive stuff to office 365/online subs it's been a hell of a lot easier

well i imagine it these days is like "ok lets put in corporate cc into azure webstore or whatever and sub ourselves to howver many o365 seats we need" and not "hello, is this you, my long lost and kidnapped roma brother the nigerian prince britney spears who has promised me $1000000, can you send me 25 cardboard boxes with microsoft office?"

since our it is from russia and we are in latvia, i always end up getting roped into looking up shops for them and its always the shadiest loving poo poo that they all are "da, is perfekt" about

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

you can take the state out of Soviet, but taking the Soviet out of state is hard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

well i imagine it these days is like "ok lets put in corporate cc into azure webstore or whatever and sub ourselves to howver many o365 seats we need"

it's this but somehow easier. although that does require they offer the subscriptions in latvia, and i have no idea if they do

i mean, it's still all broken as poo poo, and they haven't figured out how to consolidate the service options for a lot of the cloud hosted stuff, but it's less like hitting your balls with a hammer than it was a few years ago.

bonus: much like windows 10, some settings are in two places. even better, they can have different values (e.g. spam filtering in the exchange control panel v.s. "security and compliance" controls). which one takes precedent? who loving knows!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it's this but somehow easier. although that does require they offer the subscriptions in latvia, and i have no idea if they do
they do, microsoft is one of the few major it companies that have latvia onboard like a normal place (looking at you, sony, you still cant make a latvian psn account in 2017)

i mean, it's still all broken as poo poo, and they haven't figured out how to consolidate the service options for a lot of the cloud hosted stuff, but it's less like hitting your balls with a hammer than it was a few years ago.

bonus: much like windows 10, some settings are in two places. even better, they can have different values (e.g. spam filtering in the exchange control panel v.s. "security and compliance" controls). which one takes precedent? who loving knows!

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

at least they do offer the family pack for o365 as a 10 euro sub which i make use of. easily 10 best spent euros of any given month

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

speaking of, anyone else having random office 365 installs deactivating themselves this month? it seems to be happening a lot this month

yes, anyone knows how to re-active it? i downloaded and installed it again but it just shows up as non-activated

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, hit reactivate and re-enter your credentials.

this being microsoft, if that doesn't work you need to run a command line thing to de-auth everything and then enter your credentials. good luck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

p.s. gently caress you, because the cloud, and licensing is hard

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

well, hit reactivate and re-enter your credentials.

this being microsoft, if that doesn't work you need to run a command line thing to de-auth everything and then enter your credentials. good luck
idk what your situation is but i can deauth e3 licenses from the admin portal or tell someone to do it themselves from the user portal

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

it was in w8.1 not windows 10 because windows 10 doesn't do that

maybe you shouldn't be using a pirated copy op

lol do you have the start screen enabled or some poo poo, because i don't know how else you'd enable this

why would i need to do that manually? it sleeps on its own after a timeout, or if i close the lid

why are you manually putting a desktop to sleep at all?

well whatever, yeah i guess if you have a severe need to manage the power state of your desktop by hand there are situations where you will see the start menu after logging in. of course if you just locked it and walked away it would sleep on it's own in 15 minutes, but every kilowatt counts when you're posting from antarctica or whatever

congratulations on winning today's edge case jackpot

A+ corncobbing

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 14, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

idk what your situation is but i can deauth e3 licenses from the admin portal or tell someone to do it themselves from the user portal

client side the apps just refuse to launch the credential prompt despite showing the the sub is expired, it takes a vbs script to reset the key so that they'll allow re-authorization.

hasn't happened often, but it does happen

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

so

loving

mad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cool the new windows 10 update completely broke my install and it just crashes on boot with a volsnap.sys page fault

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Cool the new windows 10 update completely broke my install and it just crashes on boot with a volsnap.sys page fault

oh snap

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

google says that ms shipped a hosed driver and all you can do is boot to a recovery console with a disc and copy the old driver from windows.old

great job ms, now to dig up an old Hiren boot cd to fix my god dang computer

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 15, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they do, microsoft is one of the few major it companies that have latvia onboard like a normal place (looking at you, sony, you still cant make a latvian psn account in 2017)

just make an account at PlayStation.su, I mean Putin’s putting it all back together anyway right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

just make an account at PlayStation.su, I mean Putin’s putting it all back together anyway right?
that's what you usually do, slam in address of relative or friend in uk or russia, or just pick a random one from yellow pages. then you just buy giftcards online, since they cost the same no matter the region

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

google says that ms shipped a hosed driver and all you can do is boot to a recovery console with a disc and copy the old driver from windows.old

great job ms, now to dig up an old Hiren boot cd to fix my god dang computer
what was the driver for

wait are you on an insider build of windows 10?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fallenhitokiri/status/930186639170850817

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

from time to time I wonder if I should finally update to windows 10, surely it must be stable and have the kinks worked out by now

and then every time, someone posts something like this

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Best to stick with Windows 2000, then.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

from time to time I wonder if I should finally update to windows 10, surely it must be stable and have the kinks worked out by now

and then every time, someone posts something like this

has been a very long time without anyone posting a horror story about how their gnu/hurd install failed them, so purely statistically it is clearly the best choice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

what was the driver for

wait are you on an insider build of windows 10?

removable storage according to MS

apparently yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

can't you just boot into the windows recovery environment and use the command line there?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

can't you just boot into the windows recovery environment and use the command line there?

no, you can’t even get into the boot menu before it BSODs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

no, you can’t even get into the boot menu before it BSODs
let this be a lesson to everyone who thinks about putting an insiders build of a microsoft operation system on their computer: you're not getting paid to do QA for microsoft, so don't loving do it you idiot

orange sky
May 7, 2007

and an even bigger lesson for anyone that does that on their company computer

just lol in that case

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
could see doing it for a killer app but lol microsoft

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay so I was able to dig up a working volsnap.sys from a dodgy WinPE DVD. now the problem is I’m stuck in that Automatic Repair thing

automatic repair tries to boot, uses broken volsnap.sys from its WIM image, bsods, forever

uggggggggh gently caress you Microsoft

my bcdedit changes (turning off the loving repair) don’t seem to be sticking from the DVD. I’ll try an official Windows 10 DVD and see what happens

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

even i dont have the balls for even slow ring insider builds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

final windows 10 releases are actually beta releases, insider ring is alpha.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even i dont have the balls for even slow ring insider builds

I too learned to stop touching the hot stove.

Eventually. :saddowns:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

I too learned to stop touching the hot stove.

Eventually. :saddowns:

my only major hot stove moment with microsoft oses was paying $300 for ultimate edition of windows vista in 2007

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh and i tried these lightweight gamer editions of windows xp by random slavic hacks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh and i tried these lightweight gamer editions of windows xp by random slavic hacks

Ah, the good old days

remember when you’d install XP and immediately get Russian spam via net send

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ah, the good old days

remember when you’d install XP and immediately get Russian spam via net send
that was a fun race for a freshly-imaged machine. will the security patches install before the machine gets port-scanned and pwn3d? place your bets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

that was a fun race for a freshly-imaged machine. will the security patches install before the machine gets port-scanned and pwn3d? place your bets!

:allears: