Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They didn't even know how to use powershell. They expected tasks to take all day, I would script them and have 6 hours to kill.

I got 3/4 through my wgu degree in about 10 months. I highly recommend you take that time and study your rear end off so you can launch into a better role with a ton more money. Not many people are paid to study all day, live the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Super Slash posted:

What the hell this is me now, granted it's more of a support role with a very wide scope I'm pretty sure I was only hired to be a warm body to fill a position gap.

Oh my god I'm so loving bored, there is nothing to do as almost everything comes down to "Run this script" and every process comes down to "I dunno".

Learn man. Don't let this opportunity pass you by. Get an AWS account and lab like a motherfucker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They didn't even know how to use powershell

I want to murder like 90% of windows admins out there

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I want to stay in a city. I'm currently in Baltimore, which is super cheap. The job is actually closer to DC but DC traffic blows and the city is expensive as gently caress. Basically I'd be trading commute time for higher cost of living. Or I could move to suburbia but.... no.

What’s the job and what’s the pay band?

Fwiw my salary is posted a few pages back and work/live in Baltimore. Just trying to get a handle on the local market a bit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Nah, just no, you can tell them "I need this much" and that's that, they can take it or leave it, especially in IT. Here in Massachusetts they actually made that current salary poo poo illegal to ask, because the courts ruled that it systemically maintains the pay gap for women.

Sure, give them a hard number upfront but that also allows them to simply the conversation.

If you’re in a good position professionally it’s fine as we all have our limits. If you get to the interview, do well that might just persuade management to push on HR for more compensation in the role because they found the “right” candidate.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's fine they're murdering their own careers and will be buried with their legacy tower of poo poo

There were 7 IT employees and I was younger than the rest of them by 20 years minimum, 35 years max. It was embarrassing and I think they were happy when I moved on so they could slow the pace of work back down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Middle managers killing off any innovative synapse in their team by limiting progress to fields/products they understand, or can at least phone it in for long enough to continue picking up a salary.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Even me? But I'm so smart and cool, and audit-proof.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Auditing is entrapment

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Auditing is entrapment

You just gotta know how to play the game.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I've got an interview loop for a program manager position on Friday that I am in no way qualifed for. What agile/project management books and concepts should I cram like it's an end of semester final?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've got an interview loop for a program manager position on Friday that I am in no way qualifed for. What agile/project management books and concepts should I cram like it's an end of semester final?

Goto cobol subforum read agile thread.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

adorai posted:

You just gotta know how to play the game.

I do IT security audits and I can confirm it's not that hard to get away with stuff, either due to laziness or incompetence. I'd like to claim that people have a harder time pulling one over on me, but even if true, that doesn't matter when I have three layers above me who just want everyone to get along.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
“I’m not 100% sure this is accurate but I believe we are using X CALs based on my understanding”

“Sounds good see ya”

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I know you all hate my cloudshilling, but if you have any interest in the beyondcorp stuff aka the movement to stop using vpns, pritunl has a new product out that does edge auth for you. The idea being if you are only giving access to web apps why use a vpn when a reverse proxy can do it natively in the browser.

https://zero.pritunl.com

Check out the demo it’s pretty cool.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sarern posted:

I do IT security audits and I can confirm it's not that hard to get away with stuff, either due to laziness or incompetence. I'd like to claim that people have a harder time pulling one over on me, but even if true, that doesn't matter when I have three layers above me who just want everyone to get along.
More importantly, too often i have seen people answer either the wrong question, or a question that wasn't asked.

If they ask, "do you utilize MFA?" don't say, "yes, but...". Just loving say yes if you do.

edit: i work in banking and due to our org structure see about 4 IT audits per year. I have never lied or otherwise intentionally misled anyone, but i slap my forehead sometimes when I see how other people respond to audit questions. Just answer the one question they are asking and don't give them a reason to doubt your response or dig deeper than they otherwise would. I run a tight IT department but anyone could find areas of improvement with enough digging. I simply do my best to ensure they dig in the direction of improvements I already intended my make, while not engaging in deception.

adorai fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 15, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Punkbob posted:

I know you all hate my cloudshilling, but if you have any interest in the beyondcorp stuff aka the movement to stop using vpns, pritunl has a new product out that does edge auth for you. The idea being if you are only giving access to web apps why use a vpn when a reverse proxy can do it natively in the browser.

https://zero.pritunl.com

Check out the demo it’s pretty cool.

Azure AD Application Proxy does a similar thing. Google Cloud IAP does it for things hosted on their platform.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Walked posted:

Learn man. Don't let this opportunity pass you by. Get an AWS account and lab like a motherfucker.

It's a mixed bag, I've only been here for like three months and I'm tempted to look again next year.

However this place has buttloads of money and a management shakeup which could open up training opportunities since our (new) boss wants to shape up the department.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure AD Application Proxy does a similar thing. Google Cloud IAP does it for things hosted on their platform.

Yep. I heavily use Gcloud IAP in lieu of a vpn to provide access to Dev envs. It’s so much better then a VPN.

Both Azure and Google IAP have limitations though like forcing you to use azure hosted or only working with resources deployed in gcloud.

Pritunl and ScaleFT both allow more flexibility.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use App proxy to provide access to on-prem stuff, runs happily on a Windows 10 NUC and gives me remote access to make changes to our phone system. VPN is more or less unused now unless I need to make switch changes when I'm not around, and I could hook them up to Aruba's cloud service if I really wanted to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had a quote for a small project come in, < 20 hours of development time.

Someone on our side who knows nothing about development or IT said, 'That seems very high to me'.

BASED ON WHAT?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"I don't understand it so it must be very easy to do."

I don't think they realize what a self-own this is either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's like reverse-bikeshedding

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Punkbob posted:

Yep. I heavily use Gcloud IAP in lieu of a vpn to provide access to Dev envs. It’s so much better then a VPN.

Both Azure and Google IAP have limitations though like forcing you to use azure hosted or only working with resources deployed in gcloud.

Pritunl and ScaleFT both allow more flexibility.

Have any idea how it would handle something like a web portal for VM management a la ovirt or kimchi? I know those use websockets for remote console access to guest VMs. Would that tunnel be inside the other one like a copy of a copy or is it light weight enough that it wouldn't matter? Or am I a stupid who's misunderstanding how websockets work?

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
Just had a third job interview with the place I posted about a month ago (had concerns of switching jobs after only being with a company for a short period, as I've only been with my current company for 2.5 months now). Feel like the interview went well, and if they meet my money requirements it'll be a decent bump in pay along with 100% remote.

Hopefully I'll hear back from them this week. Trying not to get my hopes up, but I don't know how much more boredom I can take.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sarern posted:

After almost three years of trying I have approval to get quotes for a proper security audit. It will be interesting to see just how bad things are, from inside and out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Got a call for a first interview yesterday when I was asleep. Called back a couple hours later and left a voicemail. They didn't call back today, how long should I wait before calling again?

Also, I assume it's OK to mention when I call again that my current shift has me on odd hours and I'd appreciate a call after 2 pm.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Nards Pan posted:

Have any idea how it would handle something like a web portal for VM management a la ovirt or kimchi? I know those use websockets for remote console access to guest VMs. Would that tunnel be inside the other one like a copy of a copy or is it light weight enough that it wouldn't matter? Or am I a stupid who's misunderstanding how websockets work?

Printunl zero explicitly handles websockets.

Google IAP should as well although if using with hosted kubernetes you’d need to manually edit timeouts(not that this is applicable here, just answering for completeness)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh my god all the folder permissions for all of our shares are completely hosed, admins have no rights to anything, and every goddamn share has files with pathnames that are too long so I can't just take ownership and apply permissions.

gently caress my life.

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I got 3/4 through my wgu degree in about 10 months

Which degree track did you do from WGU? I'm been slowly scoping out those online only universities as I get some downtime in between tickets.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Holy Haze posted:

Which degree track did you do from WGU? I'm been slowly scoping out those online only universities as I get some downtime in between tickets.

I recommend the certification thread here, there's a few people going through the wgu program that post in that thread.

I did the security emphasis that no longer exists, or is still there under a different name or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I did mine in straight up IT.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god all the folder permissions for all of our shares are completely hosed, admins have no rights to anything, and every goddamn share has files with pathnames that are too long so I can't just take ownership and apply permissions.

gently caress my life.

Condolences. :(

Not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I'm getting 401k here, how about 402k?"

Reminds me of that scene in Mr Mom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3kxAA2L4Q

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress my life.
someone let chkdsk run during a routine patch cycle

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress my life.

Powershell shouldn't have those same path limits (commands are get-acl and set-acl). There is also a GPO/registry setting in Windows 10.1709 to turn that limit off for Windows Explorer (and other applicaitons that use the standard file handling dialogs).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EoRaptor posted:

Powershell shouldn't have those same path limits (commands are get-acl and set-acl). There is also a GPO/registry setting in Windows 10.1709 to turn that limit off for Windows Explorer (and other applicaitons that use the standard file handling dialogs).

Powershell has a MAX-PATH limit of 255, if Explorer crashes so does get-item. That's why I use robocopy to move items on our fileserver, otherwise our 1200 chars folderpaths won't open :sigh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You should be able to use the Unicode path syntax “\\?\” in powershell to avoid max_path issues

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

SlowBloke posted:

Powershell has a MAX-PATH limit of 255, if Explorer crashes so does get-item. That's why I use robocopy to move items on our fileserver, otherwise our 1200 chars folderpaths won't open :sigh:

the 255 character limit makes me want to bash my head against the wall... COME ON MICROSOFT, WHAT YEAR IS THIS?!

Not that I think people should make crazy long folder/path/file names but still.

edit: I know they're fixing it, or have fixed it, on Win 10...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TheFace posted:

the 255 character limit makes me want to bash my head against the wall... COME ON MICROSOFT, WHAT YEAR IS THIS?!

Not that I think people should make crazy long folder/path/file names but still.

edit: I know they're fixing it, or have fixed it, on Win 10...

The actual problem is 25 years worth of third-party Win32 programs, compiled against a Windows.h that defined MAX_PATH to 260, and an unknown quantity of those might break in interesting ways (such as buffer overflows leading to vulnerabilities) if you just start throwing longer strings at them.